Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run Fat Boy Run - The lazy mans guide to Ironman and Marathon training.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭griffin100

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Oh.....i agree! Some of the sexiest, yummiest men i know are bald! ;):D.

It comes effortlessly to us baldies...........

Yesterday I had the worst case of the DOMS I've ever had, worse than an IM. Who would have thought running up few hills would be so hard :D A nice slow 9km last night helped ease the pain.

Straight 3,000m swim today. In on 57.38 - almost 3 mins quicker than the same swim a month ago. First 1k @ 18.50 / 2nd @ 19.40 / 3rd @ 19.10. Effort for the first 2km was easy, but for some reason I slowed a lot between 1,000m-1500m. I consciously pushed myself a bit for the last 1km, having a wee slip of a thing sit in behind me helped. I knew she was getting close when I could smell her perfume so that helped keep me going :D Nice way to spend an hour.

I know my pacing is all over the place. It's something I need to work on. I suspect I may be similar to some of these guys.

Wednesday evening I decided to do a 10k at 45min pace - this is my approx HM pace. Jaysus I died. On the 8th km I blew up completely. I covered the 10km in 45.40. That's a reflection on my recent lack of quality running and the gain of a couple of kgs in weight :( I might retry this test over the long weekend.

I did a quick 1km in the pool yesterday afternoon and then of to Wicklow Harbour for the first OW swim of the year with Kurt and his group with Interested doing the coaching. Really enjoyed it after the first 5mins of brain freeze. Practiced sighting and drafting and finished off with a nice lap of the harbour in Kurt's slip stream. We were put to shame somewhat by Interested doing the session in his togs and the old dears who were swimming around us, again without wetsuits. Ironmen me arse :) I was really sore this morning across the chest and in the abdomen - I wounder if I engaged these muscles more in the wetsuit, or perhaps it's as a result of my very tight suit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

You were drafting very effectively- I wasn't putting the hammer down at all, but was surprized to see you right behind after 500m. Have to admit, I stretched my stroke a little coming along the harbour wall (just to show the new guy his place:p) but you were again right on my tail until the end. Your swimming is coming along very nicely; hopefully we'll get out together a good few times in Wicklow harbour. A rising tide lifts all boats!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

griffin100 wrote: »
    of to Wicklow Harbour for the first OW swim of the year with Kurt and his group with Interested doing the coaching. Really enjoyed it after the first 5mins of brain freeze. Practiced sighting and drafting and finished off with a nice lap of the harbour in Kurt's slip stream.

Did know it was yourself Griffin100. Kurt didn't do any introducing:rolleyes:

See you there soon again

Maybe if you turned up on time joe? ;)

• Advertisement

Abhainn wrote: »
    Did know it was yourself Griffin100. Kurt didn't do any introducing:rolleyes:

See you there soon again

I assumed that the Joe who arrived late was you. According to the general consensus in the group Joe is always late....:D

A long weekend when the weather was actually good so family time took precedence so didn't do as much as I'd hoped. Managed a couple of runs only. Even with the good weather I have zero interest in getting on the bike and I have a tri in two weeks.....and a NS one as well......I'm gonna get spanked :rolleyes:

Nice short swim today. Even managed to do 100 x 5 off 1.50 - a new benchmark for me.

Dare I say it??????? Ok I will - IT'S TOO HOT!!!! Over 20 degrees at 9pm tonight and suffering on 1km repeats @ 5km race pace. New runners sticking to the melted tar and inhaling mouthfuls of little flies.

Ok then it's not too hot - I'm off to fire up the BBQ (again) for a kid free beer and burger :)

I didn't have much time for a swim today so I had to make it count.....

100m wu
    400m TT in 6.39
    100m recovery
    200m TT in 3.15

New PB for the 400m by 8 secs. Splits were 1.31 / 1.41 / 1.44 / 1.43. I did think that around 6.40 would be my limit but if I can pace this a bit better then sub 6.30 might be doable.

I then did a 200m TT to get my CSS as per swimsmooth.com. Splits were 1.33 / 1.42. I was surprised at that tbh as I couldn't feel my arms after the 400 effort.

So according to swimsmooth my CSS is 1.44 / 100m. They suggest some sets based around this pace for improving speed so I'll try them for a few weeks and see if they work.

Had a window this afternoon so decided to try and get a long swim set in. Plan was for 5-6 x 800m off 16 minutes, aiming to hit 15.00-15.20 per 800m (1.52-55 100m pace). It didn't quite go like that.........another lesson in my inability to pace properly......

Sets came in on:
    13.58 (1.45 per 100m) :eek: I checked the clock at 750m to see 13.08 - a new 750m PB by miles :D Is there sub 13min 750m in my future????
    14.15 (1.47 per 100m)
    14.40 (1.50 per 100m)
    14.56 (1.52 per 100m)
    15.40 (1.57 per 100m) :p Talk about a collapse - I was fecked on this last set. My form was all over the place. I had considered doing another 800m repeat but I had nothing left - perhaps doing this session instead of eating lunch was a mistake :pac:

A 100m recovery in 2mins showed how tired I was.

Total 4,100m

Really disappointed not to get a 6th repeat in but I'm delighted overall with the times. I think I need to start lowering the intervals on these longer sets. I also need to sort out my pacing :rolleyes:

I have Hook Or By Crook this weekend, looking forward to seeing where my swimming is in an NS race (the bike and run times will be embarrassing :rolleyes:).

Bad bad day......feckin car packed in this morning......after spending a small fortune getting it through NCT last month......not happy.......will either be €200 or €000's to fix......but I have to spend the €200 first to find out.....not a good day. Also means an unplanned for day off work with no laptop at home so gonna be playing catch up over weekend.......aaaghhhh

I had planned a 10km swim week this week. I was up to 5km and today planned another 4km, either a long one in the pool or a two swim session day with pool and OW but that's gone out the window now. I can make up the swim yardage tomorrow but a long session tomorrow might tire me for Hook or by Crook on Saturday. But then again I'm not expecting much from this race and I need the long swim session more. Decisions decisions.......

I made use of the time at home today to bring the kids to their school swimming lesson and I then did 13km on the bike to make sure that the tyres and gears were ok for Saturday. That 13kms is the extent of my bike training for Saturdays NS race. I'll do a easy 10km run later so I can justify the large kebab and vino I so badly need and wi have when the kids go to bed!!!

Rant over :)

• Advertisement

With Hook Or By Crook cancelled (the right decision) today was a long swim.

I repeated the IM swim predictor set:
    4x400 rest 30
    4x300 rest 20
    4x200 rest 10
    4x50 rest 5.
    Take your total time from start to finish and deduct the rest period (4.15) which equals your IM predicted swim.

Today I came in with a predicted time of 1.08.30 - last month the same session gave a predicted time of 1.12.35.

It took three attempts to get started. I had two false starts of 100m and 200m when I felt tired and stopped - I had to HTFU to start again. I was pushing the pace a wee bit - averaging between 1.45-50 per 100m for all - my slowest 100m was on the last 200m when I hit 1.51. I only started to tire on the last set of 200m. I'm happy with that.

Total session 4,100m to bring my swim distance for the week to 9km - my biggest swim week in months .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Turning into a swimming monster...

BTW...at your largesse, brought the eldest and youngest down to UCD pool this morning - great set up there - had a crack at an all out 100 - killer with the 50m lane:D.

Izoard wrote: »
    Turning into a swimming monster...

BTW...at your largesse, brought the eldest and youngest down to UCD pool this morning - great set up there - had a crack at an all out 100 - killer with the 50m lane:D.

Glad you enjoyed it. The 50m pool is a real killer when you're used to turning every 20/25m.

Saturday did my first ever stint as a GAA dad - GAA is not really my thing but the chap seems to like it more than he does rugby (pity) and about as much as he does soccer. Turned into an enjoyable 2hrs of watching 7 and 8 year olds playing their hearts out in these GoGames sessions. Turns out he's actually not that bad a player, unlike his old man who was useless.

Saturday afternoon did 15km @5min/km pace. Felt nice to push the distance on a little bit but I hurt the next day, especially my feet which are nice and soft having been sticking to short distances for the last 6 months.

Work is mental this week, I'll be doing well to get a long swim in :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

GAA- once you show up on the sideline, they'll have you coaching in no time...:)

Going slightly off topic - reading this thread over on AR about parents & kids in sport, brought back a conversation from the weekend;

The youngest (6yo) plays loads of sports, but he now has to choose 2 from 3 of the weekend sports - GAA, rugby and football.

Rather than bring my own predjudices into it, I asked him what was his favourite...

6yo: "Rugby!"
    Me: OK...why rugby?"
    6yo: You get biccies and juice after...."

Is this a good time to be a responsible parent and look for other criteria?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Izoard wrote: »
    GAA- once you show up on the sideline, they'll have you coaching in no time...:)

Going slightly off topic - reading this thread over on AR about parents & kids in sport, brought back a conversation from the weekend;

The youngest (6yo) plays loads of sports, but he now has to choose 2 from 3 of the weekend sports - GAA, rugby and football.

Rather than bring my own predjudices into it, I asked him what was his favourite...

6yo: "Rugby!"
    Me: OK...why rugby?"
    6yo: You get biccies and juice after...."

Is this a good time to be a responsible parent and look for other criteria?:)

Our little lad is almost 4 and football mad. He has to wear football trousers ( trasksuit bottom ) or football shorts ( not fashion ones ) every day unless we have a major row about it !

We are just talking yesterday and i said i won't push him, i'll give him the option of all sports and we'll see what he leans towards. Lucky him i had the option of GAA football or nothing when i was growing up !

A bad swim week. I only managed one swim and that was a short one today :mad: On the plus side running will be a bit better than recently this week with hopefully a 50km+ week with a couple of speed / tempo sessions. Not great volume but better than I have been doing :rolleyes:

Only had time for a short swim today and I was debating just swimming for the duration. When I arrived pool was in SC format so that put an end to that thought, I'd just end up loosing count :D

300 wu - swim and drills
    100 x 4 off 1.55 - in on 1.25-1.30 - new 100m pb but short course times :D
    100m recovery
    100 x 4 off 1.50 - in on 1.30-1.35
    100m recovery
    100 x 4 off 1.45 - in on 1.35-1.40 - last two of these hurt a bit
    Total 1,700m

A nice if short session. Delighted with the repeat times. First time to go below 1.30 for the 100m, shows the slightly slower speed over the LC pool setup.

This weekend is the Carlow Community Games - this year I have three kids taking part rather than the usual two. Only one medal is predicted but as far as the kids are concerned the weekend is more about candyfloss and chips in the running field rather than medals :)

That's a huge leap up in what you were doing previously (even allowing for the SC), your swimming is really coming on well.

Curious about the discrepancy between the off/in times though, I'd have done this set with the "in" times reversed (ie. last set 100 x 4 off 1.45 - in on 1.25-1.30), with the first set "in" slower. Each to their own, and its obviously working for you, but is there a reason why you swim slower as the sets get shorter?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    That's a huge leap up in what you were doing previously (even allowing for the SC), your swimming is really coming on well.

Curious about the discrepancy between the off/in times though, I'd have done this set with the "in" times reversed (ie. last set 100 x 4 off 1.45 - in on 1.25-1.30), with the first set "in" slower. Each to their own, and its obviously working for you, but is there a reason why you swim slower as the sets get shorter?

That's what I should be doing, but my pacing is very very poor :rolleyes:

Will hopefully be getting to Wicklow harbour this week.

This weekend is the Carlow Community Games - this year I have three kids taking part rather than the usual two. Only one medal is predicted but as far as the kids are concerned the weekend is more about candyfloss and chips in the running field rather than medals :)

A weekend spent dodging rain showers, getting sunburnt and watching 100's of kids compete in a multitude of events. The little chap got to the final of the boys under 8 60m sprint after two qualifying heats but couldn't medal on the day (we never ever expected him to get to the final). He's got the leg speed but is much smaller than the others and lead for the first 40m or so but got swallowed in the pack at the line to come 4th or 5th. It's the first time I've ever seen him upset at not getting a medal, but he picked himself up and ran his heart out again in the 4 x 50m relay where his team came second - they should have won but there was carnage at the last bend where another runner cut across 2-3 lanes and caused mayhem (these kiddie relays are great entertainment). He was happy with his medal anyway - this medal was the predicted one as their team is really good.

The bonus of the weekend was a gold medal in the 4 x 50m girls under 6 relay :D. This was no.3's first time at the games and she got really freaked out by the crowds and cried her way to last place in her individual heat. However by the time the relay came around she had warmed to the occasion and was rearing to go. In the heats she took the baton to run leg 3 and froze, luckily enough there were marshals on hand to encourage her to run which she did and her team qualified. Come the final and the nerves were on edge - I was more nervous for this race than any Ironman I've ever done. I wasn't the only one, there's something about an under 6 relay race that get's everyone excited. It must be the potential for things to go wrong with changeovers, lane deviations, etc etc. Sure enough the little one gets the baton on leg 3 with her team in the league and then disaster...she drops the baton......but wait....she picks it up and storms after the two girls that have overtaken her......catches them.....hands off and her team win gold. It was brilliant. She's still on cloud nine and it's great to see her with a real interest in running now.

Unfortunately the enthusiasm didn't extend to me, I did nothing over the weekend except eat crap. Six hours on my feet on Saturday at the games followed by 4hrs on Sunday took all my energy.

I got into the pool today still feeling tired. Had no plan for the session - a bad idea - so did a 400m TT. Felt all over the place, realised on the last 100m that I was letting my right hand slip through the water when pulling rather than catching it. I still maanged to PB by 2 secs (6.37), but it all counts. Finished off with a few 100m's off around 3 mins, all in on 1.30-35.

It was such a lovely evening last night we had a BBQ when I got home from work, which the kids always love (as my son says, BBQ is his second favorite dinner after Domino's Pizza - to be clear here, he eats Dominos Pizza about 3-4 times a year - I swear, I'm not a bad parent). I can say with some certainty now that running 1km repeats at 5km race pace after consuming large quantities of half cooked beef and chicken is not something I'll be doing again.......it wasn't just the 1km intervals that were repeating :D

Into the pool today and not feeling the love for the water. Didn't fancy a long session so did 100-200-300-400-400-300-200-100 all off 2mins per 100m and aiming to average 1.45 per hundred. Stroke felt poor but I managed to hit the 1.45 for the first 1,000m of repeats, but I drifted out to 1.50 for 400m of the last 1,000m :(. Overall 2,000m.

Starting to question my swim fitness for the Warrior Of The Sea now. Don't know if I have enough done to take on a 6km OW sea swim with less than 4 weeks to go. I need to do a tester set of some sort to help me decide.

• Advertisement

Sore throat, sore head and niggles all over today. Avoided the pool and did a 8kms run @ 4.55 pace instead along a medditeranian like Sandymount strand. Nice way to spend lunchtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Starting to question my swim fitness for the Warrior Of The Sea now. Don't know if I have enough done to take on a 6km OW sea swim with less than 4 weeks to go. I need to do a tester set of some sort to help me decide.

60x100s leaving every 2.10 :) that will sort you out or drive you demented.

We'll be doing something between 3-4k tonight in Wicklow Harbour, from about 7pm, if you're free.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    We'll be doing something between 3-4k tonight in Wicklow Harbour, from about 7pm, if you're free.

Should be - see you then.

60x100s leaving every 2.10 :) that will sort you out or drive you demented.

Jesus the thoughts of that. I get bored after 20 100's.

Down to Wicklow Harbour for a OW swim, the first in a couple of weeks. It was freezin!!! Head, hands and feet were all frozen. Kurt was finishing his second lap when I got in so I slotted in behind him for a lap. Took me a while to get used to the cold and I did consider getting back out. Conditions were good with a nice amount of chop at the harbour entrance - enough to give you a good slap in the face and make you happy you can breath bilaterally but nothing too bad. Agreed with Kurt we'd head outside the harbour on the next lap and get some rough water practice in but in the end discretion proved the better part of valour and we demurred, there were too many sailing boats crewed by kids in the area and I didn't fancy getting a smack of one. Kurt finished his 4th lap and I stayed in to do a 3rd lap. Opened up the stroke a bit on this one and felt good. Was considering a 4th lap but it was getting late and the setting sun was making sighting difficult. 3 laps done so somewhere around 2,100m. No watch so no time. Felt like I could go on for a lot more so must get down early some day soon for a 7-8 lap session.

Has anyone worn a Garmin 310xt for measuring ow swim distances - would be nice to get a proper distance for a long ow swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Has anyone worn a Garmin 310xt for measuring ow swim distances - would be nice to get a proper distance for a long ow swim.

Never worked for me - used to give me ridiculous swim distances! I know they say you could put it in your swim hat and its more accurate but I never felt comfortable doing that.

I have often used mapmyrun and turned off the follow roads setting, I know it worked out to be accurate enough for the two I measured but you would need the area to be pretty detailed, Wicklow harbor should be outlined well on it though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Hat method swims...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/87023463

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/194521938

I put it on my head, swim cap over and then I put my goggles on with a strap above and below the watch... not afraid it would go anywhere. Set it to lap every 100m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Jesus the thoughts of that. I get bored after 20 100's.

I should not have joked, i just checked todays swim session and i have 20x100s to do:o

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    Hat method swims...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/87023463

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/194521938

I put it on my head, swim cap over and then I put my goggles on with a strap above and below the watch... not afraid it would go anywhere. Set it to lap every 100m.

I think I'll try this.

Short swim this morning, shoulders were surprisingly stuff from the wetsuit last night. 1,000m of wu and mixed drills / 100m x 5 off 2 in on 1.30-1.35. Total 1,500m.

Advertisement