Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Rockets!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Cheers MCOS and RQ! Not long now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

2:56 good job Eddie well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Oh nice one Eddie! Massive PB and you did yourself justice, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

15 minutes after the finish he looked like he could go again. Very impressive.

Thanks all. I didnt know how the body was going to react so kept it easy/steady to about 2hrs. Decided then to bring it up a bit. HRM was going a bit nuts but i reasoned that i have ran an hour in a lot more pain before so started flying past groups from there. Must have passed about 100/150 people in that last hour! Was gunning for the 02:54 but forgot that my watch wasn't going to be exactly 42.2 and i hadn't factored in that time. Also i was worried about left hamstring which had an ache the whole way so i was anxious not to give it too much more before the last 5/6k.

Here's the file - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/238271555

Will have a report up by the end of the week too. Good day out, looking forward to pints now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Very well done!!! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Should have seen this one in the pub this evening. Was in better shape than myself and BTH.

Seems a little too easy. Try harder next time.

Well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

That's great going! Wish I could say I'm surprised though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Should have seen this one in the pub this evening. Was in better shape than myself and BTH.

Seems a little too easy. Try harder next time.

Well done again.

Not hard to be in better shape than me. Bloody lightweight. I fell asleep waiting on dominos. Congrats again Eddie.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

BTH wrote: »
    Not hard to be in better shape than me. Bloody lightweight. I fell asleep waiting on dominos. Congrats again Eddie.

Jaysus. Good luck on your wedding night!

• Advertisement

Some boy BTH! ha.

Thanks again, i can safely say i was fooked afterwards. Id an impressive John Wayne walk around to collect the bag. Fortunately no nasty chaffing though but legs dont want to move much today! Hopefully an easy bike later will sort them out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Very well done Eddie, never a chance you weren't going sub 3; but I love the splits - you really did an Eddie Rockets over the last 10k - brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Was bopping around the kitchen with the kids this morning listening to 90s dance music. Finally figured out when the username came from - should have guessed.

Didn't realize this thread was still active. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Didn't realize this thread was still active. ;)

He is not dead, just married!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Eddie what are the race plans this season?

And goals for that matter?

Have you a 70.3 in mind other that Lanza or staying domestic?

Hey Fazz, 2013 looks like:

Saturday 25th May Rosses Point Olympic Triathlon
    Saturday 1st June TriAthy Olympic
    Saturday 9th June Wicklow 200
    Saturday 22nd June Mullaghmore Triathlon
    Saturday 6th July Rosslare Pikeman Triathlon
    Saturday 10th August Tri the Lough Sprint Triathlon
    Sunday 25th August Dublin City Triathlon - Standard
    Saturday 7th September Tri An Mhi Sprint
    Saturday 5th October Lanzarote 70.3

Just going to focus on lanza. Taking a different approach this year. I struggled to get back into it each of the last 2 years after an early season A race so this year im going to do it at the end. That will also help with practising race execution, Id also love to give it a good lash for a Vegas slot. I couldnt afford 2 IM 70.3's abroad in 1 year so Vegas was not going to be viable in the same year as a qualifying race so at least if i do manage it i will be able to focus on that for 2014. I havent touched my potential in the few HIMs ive done to date so im hoping this change in approach will have me better prepped for lanza.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Bambaata wrote: »
    Hey Fazz, 2013 looks like:

Saturday 25th May Rosses Point Olympic Triathlon
    Saturday 6th July Rosslare Pikeman Triathlon
    Saturday 5th October Lanzarote 70.3

Just going to focus on lanza. Taking a different approach this year. I struggled to get back into it each of the last 2 years after an early season A race so this year im going to do it at the end. That will also help with practising race execution, Id also love to give it a good lash for a Vegas slot. I couldnt afford 2 IM 70.3's abroad in 1 year so Vegas was not going to be viable in the same year as a qualifying race so at least if i do manage it i will be able to focus on that for 2014. I havent touched my potential in the few HIMs ive done to date so im hoping this change in approach will have me better prepped for lanza.

Very good so. Makes sense to change it around for you hopefully that keeps you going and focussed to the end so.
    Vegas slot be a great way to end a season and plan next year.

Pretty busy race calendar there!
    Nothing the same I'm afraid unless Lanza is added end of season for me. Not in plan at mo but it is tempting.

Hope the training is flying and consistent.

Any duathlons planned for early season dust offs?
    I'm prob in for the March Naas one.
    A sportsman may be tempting again though too in March if it suits.

Yeah i'll do some duathlons and hopefully an aquathon and road race. The above will also depend on how im going, where recovery weeks lie and work so they aren't certainties and i probably wont do them all.

I'll probably do a Sportsman and possibly one or two others.

Well this is pretty late but sure better late than never. Ive been thinking about logging over the last few days and have come to the conculsion that i will keep a log here again for 2013. I dont think i'll go to the same level of detail as 2012 though and there could be more weekly updates than daily. Anyway before i kick that off heres a report for Dublin City Marathon to end this log:

File - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/238271555

I was up early enough after about 6hrs sleep. Slept well, wasnt nervous. Was more just looking forward to getting on with it. Had porridge and some coffee two hours out, went to the loo, packed the pickup bag and left the house on the bike by 8:20. Id already set out the gels in the order id take them on the belt the night before so didnt have to do much that morning. Also packed 2 berry gels, one to be taken 10mins from the start and the other as a spare. Gel wise it was to be berry isogel at 30 & 60mins, citrus at 01:20 with berry, citrus, berry, citrus every 20mins from there all placed along the belt as id grab them. Used the bike to spin out the legs a bit. Dropped the bag off and made my way to the starting pen jogging up to loosen out. Grabbed a posh laneway pee and in I went. I didnt plan the start all that well and found myself just in front of the 03:15 pacers at the very back of the 3hr group! I only copped I could have gone up much further after getting penned in. Realistically i should have gone ahead on the 3 hour pacers as i lost a fair bit of time in the crowd during the opening 1-2km.

Start
    Very slow to start, very congested. Started the watch as I went over the start line. We all came to a hault at the first corner. I made sure I didn't panic and with the first 500 - 600m very slow at low 04:40 - 5min pace and made sure not to panic into a sprint to regain ground. I had factored in that this would happen so had already been focusing on it before the start. There was plenty of road ahead afterall!! It opened up a little after first km and I used pavements here and there to gradually get past slow groups. I did pick it up ever so slightly while getting around people but never into the red. I was about 150m back from the 3hr pacers now and sat there through the first few km's. Hr was a fair bit higher than id have liked but I was feeling ok. The gel belt, despite having it as tight as possible, was wrecking my head a bit so I took the first two gels out and held them. Grabbed water at the first few aid stations but only sipped about 150 to 200mls and used the rest to wash hands of gels etc. As we made our way out of the park I slowly made my way into the 3hr group to get out of the light breeze.

Middle part.
    I was still seeing a higher than id have liked hr but ignored it. I was slightly anxious about it but didnt dwell on it. Gels went in exactly as planned. Legs felt ok, left hamstring was a concern. It always seems to have a tight feeling deep within it at the top and it was my only concern. Aerobically I was fine, kms were ticking by with no real rise in effort and no digging in required as i made sure i didnt surge on hills. I let people go past me on the opening climbs as i was keen to keep to effort and not pace on them. I went through the halfway around 01:29, bang on target for sub 3. I knew id be fine to halfway and 2hrs. The tight glutes id been experienced in the previous weeks weren't kicking up at all and despite the hamstring I was 100%.

3/4 way
    The time was flying by. I didnt really know how i should feel but figured I was ok enough. I was starting to think it was time to stop being so conservative. I knew fitness wise I was 100% as I wasnt in any trouble but just worried a little about the glutes and hamstring. I knew if I shocked them at all I could start cramping. I got talking Abhainn just in front of the 3hr pacers at about 01:45/50 and I think he saw I was in good shape. He went to drop back to the pacers who were just behind us and I went to go with him but he ushered me on. From that I started edging away.

Last hour
    I slowly moved away from the pacers and soon couldn't see them. Effort went up a fair bit but I was still in control. Now it was just like the training runs and I was comparing the distance left to training runs knowing I could suffer for 60mins no problem. I knew from the past i've run much further in a world of pain and discomfort so I was confident I could take some pain. I started flying now. I was passing dozens of runners from the back of UCD. The Roebuck hill felt like nothing. I remember suffering there when I did the race in 2008 but it was no difficulty now. I ran from group to group right up to and just past Vincent's hospital, taking slight breaks from the cold breeze in behind what was now just groups of 3 and 4 people here and there. I didn't sit in for any longer than 30 - 40s with any of them though and kept making my way up behind what were now mostly single runners as we came towards Ballsbridge. Nobody was coming with me either. Despite not exactly being competitive in the race I still didn't want anyone matching me and when anyone did come they'd soon fall back. I was hurting a lot now with just 6 to 7k left. I figured I could potentially break 02:55 (I hadn't remembered though that my Garmin wouldn't be exactly 42.2k so hadn't factored on the extra time). With 5k to go I broke down the final bit into 5 x 1k's with the objective being holding as close to 4min km's with the 2nd last being 03:50 and then giving everything to make sure that last 5k was sub 20mins. I thought it was a good way of managing the pain and helped a lot. I slowly kept the first 2 of these close to target but forgot about that damn ramp up over the bridge at grand canal dock. It hurt! While I kept to effort not worrying about pace at earlier ramps I dug into this one. Once I came over the other side it was time to really hurt.

So now it was real pain time. I felt i was at times losing focus and slowing up slightly here and there but I would quickly refocus and surge a bit to get back into it. I had already been hurting but now it was goosebump, numb legs, keep throwing one leg in front of the other pain. I was flying at parts but it was difficult to maintain at times. I took the bends around to Pearse st station like I was on a track and kept pushing. I was still flying past single runners. Onto Pearse st itself and I was dying. Kept pushing though. Around college green I was in a world of pain and it was only now I remembered about the extra distance from the GPS and stopped pushing momentarily. I then thought of the 02:57 barrier and dug in again. I was sprinting (relatively speaking!) and passing more. I ran through a group of 5 or so as we entered the last 100m but I just had no more sprint as id been surging for ages now and they unfortunately all came past me again. I just couldnt go anymore and crossed the line fairly wobbly! Im almost certain they were the only runners to pass me in the last 16km or so! Legs were in bits. I couldnt walk straight and I was immediately walking like john Wayne!

After
    I was immediately happy I finished well. Naturally I was a little disappointed at not making the decisive move before the 01:45/50 mark but I was happy to break 3hrs considering I did not give this race a fair going. Im delighted with the time considering how little time I gave this. Id initially been a little apprehensive after the 2 recent long runs as I felt like **** at the end of them but I knew with a short taper id be ok. I definitely think there was a sub 02:55 there had I not been as cautious. Had I gambled too much it could have been a 03:15 which to be honest id have been devastated with. Ive always wanted to tick the sub 3 box and to do it with such a tight schedule lifts confidence for the future.

An so that ended 2012 and ends this log!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Excellent read Ed. Certainly sounds like you know how to suffer! :cool: Nice to have sub 3 in the bag

pgibbo wrote: »
    Excellent read Ed. Certainly sounds like you know how to suffer! :cool: Nice to have sub 3 in the bag

+1

Right well its now well into 2013 so i might as well get clipping with this. I had intended starting a new one but was struggling with a title too much so im just going to keep this one alive.

I don't see myself giving as much info this year in this but will hopefully update regularly. This year its all about Lanzarote 70.3 in October. I have my eye on Vegas 2014 at that race. I decided to make a shift in strategy this year. The past two years ive had my A goal race right at the start of the summer and struggled both years with motivation for a second A race. So this year im going to enjoy a summer of Irish races with the climax being Lanzarote. I have always said id like to achieve a Vegas World 70.3 slot but i knew i really couldn't afford it in the same year as another foreign qualifying race. Doing Lanza this year as a qualifying race for 2014 makes it financially viable. Whether or not i can get to the line in the shape to secure a slot remains to be seen but after a slightly disappointing 2012 im more eager than ever. I dont fell i've got even close to my potential and if i get myself in shape this year i'll be disappointed with anything less than a podium in the AG. Some may call me a dreamer but i know i can do that. I know too i've the potential to take some scalps in the domestic scene that people might not have expected. In the domestic races ill aim for a top few placing wise and hopefully pickup another few podiums.

So race wise ive the following penciled in:

Saturday 25th May Rosses Point Olympic Triathlon registered
    Saturday 6th July Rosslare Pikeman Triathlon registered
    Saturday 5th October Lanzarote 70.3 registered

I picked those as i like to get around the country and incorporate races with visiting family and friends. Rosses Point is one ive wanted to do for a while, Mullaghmore is one ive wanted to back to and well Rosslare i had a great day out last year. Im not quite sure on TriAthy Olympic as im not really a fan of that course. I might have another look around. I'll also hopefully do some pre-season duathlons and maybe a few aquathons and road races.

So swim/bike/run goal wise i'd like to roughly achieve the following:

Swim - 20 x 100 on about 01:35
    Bike - FTP >350 @ about 4.6W/kg
    Run - Easy pace go sub 4min - as the 70.3 race half-marathon will start off here

Thankfully ive loads of time for those to come through by the end of the summer.

So training to date:
    I got a few prep weeks in pre-Xmas to about 20th December. I then had a close family friend tragically pass away. A week later I got married and i never intended on training from that date until after the honeymoon. I'd a good few weeks off and got back into things 21st January. Ive 4 weeks now prep work done with okish hours - 8 to 11. I'd an FTP test tonight which came out at a reasonable 319. I was happy t see its just 3W's short of this time last year. That time i had a winter of biking under my belt. Remainder of this week gets me recovered from that and we'l crack on from there. Swim wise i havent been consistent so that needs addressing. Easy is about 01:40-43/100m and run wise im now at about 04:25-30/km. That had been 04:50-55 a few weeks back!

So here's to a good 2013!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Podiums definitely realistic goals for you. I predict 2 wins from that list.

Nice training milestones too. Long summer to Lanza.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck for 2013 Ed. Condolences on the passing of the family friend. Planning on doing some of those races so go easy on us mere mortals :D

Nope, you're not a dreamer.....my money's on you for that podium finish. Best with your training and races!

So since the FTP

Thursday 21st Feb
    Easy bike
    Just a short one unfortunately as i was late from work, again! Lucky to get out within 60-90mins late these days! Legs were ok after the FTP test but never pushed them.
    35mins, 15.5k, 196W NP

Friday 22nd Feb
    Easy run
    Felt decent, had some fast 20s bursts which all came out around the 3min/km mark. Legs felt better than expected
    47mins, 10.75k, 4:25 min/km

Saturday 23rd Feb
    Long run
    It was supposed to be bike day but i swapped them around. Good run. I wasnt to bed until 6am after a friends b'day so thought this was going to be nasty but a lesser evil of the weekends training (moved 3hr bike). I was freezing before heading out and took an age to actually go out the door. When i finally did i actually found i was feeling ok and i enjoyed the run right from the off. I kept the effort way down and aimed for any grassy bank i could find to put in some minor hills. Really enjoyed the run and felt good right to the end.
    1hr 22mins, 17.3k, 4:47 min/km

Sunday 24th Feb
    Long bike
    Met up with JBfor half of the session. Savage morning out. I rode a little harder than easy to get to meeting point. JB also put in some steady efforts on his tt rig which had me pushing over 300 so i grabbed his wheel here and there to dial it back. On the second such rep i only pushed for a short while and then let him at it. rolling enough route in places. i was a bit tired in the last hour, particularly the last 15/20 mins. The session flew by. I was on my own to 40mins and from 2hours, enjoyed having the company though, really want to get as many sessions in with others as i can this year!
    03:07:00, 87k, 228W NP

Rolling
    Just did a quick 10mins, maintenance is something im not good with! Needs to change this year.

Monday 25th Feb
    Swim
    First swim in about 2 weeks! Need to correct that! Need to get that swim fitness back. I felt like i was swimming ok but the times werent matching it! Times werent too bad considering lack of swimming lately though. I found my right arm getting sloppy at times and had to focus on it here and there, entry wasnt going in above the shoulder and once or twice was particularly bad out at a 2 o'clock position! Times were:
    150sw easy - 02:24, 02:32, 02:33, 02:31
    100p steady - 01:40, 01:40, 01:42, 01:42
    50k hard - 50, 51, 54, 53 (with flippers)
    150 B+B - 02:33, 02:31, 02:31, 02:29
    2200m, 43mins

Easy Run
    I seemed to be struggling to get HR to rise. 140 felt near tempo pace so i didn't hang there long. I was running fairly well though, run legs are almost fully back! Form felt good. HRM spiking bad but I ran with herself cycling alongside so i could gauge effort by how easy it was to talk.
    45mins, 10.3k, 4:23 min/km

Tuesday 26th Feb
    Bike with work!
    I was not able for this! Legs just didnt have any power! I went out at lunchtime rather than waited for the evening turbo. I struggled big time to even hit and maintain FTP. I was getting a bit dizzy from putting the head down and trying to force it but it just wasnt happening. I was getting annoyed with myself and tried to grit through it but i just couldnt hold it. Id start out about 350 and within the first minute i was aching! Cadence would slow up and i just didnt have any power to try get it going, tried a few out of the saddle bits but just had nothing! Annoyed at that session as i want to hit all figures but i just couldn't do it unfortunately!! Just one of those days. Glad i at least tried as i was really hurting, physically and mentally!
    56mins, 28k, 270W NP

Wednesday 27th Feb
    Swim
    Session went fairly well! It felt like a short session as 10x100 feels like it's over in a flash. 100s were alternating sw and pull. All the swims came in on 01:31 to 01:37 and the pulls 01:36 to 01:39. Fast 50s at the end were 40, 37, 41, 41. Enjoyed the session. I ddnt tire too much towards the end which i would have expected seeing as i havent much pool time lately
    2400m, 50mins, Ave 1:36 min/100m

Run
    I dont know whats up with the running lately but im feckin' flyin'!! I brought HR up very steadily (it doesnt seem as responsive for the first 10 mins as it usually is). I was surprised to hold 04:11 pace for first 20mins and thought i might dwindle after some short builds but that didnt happen! Felt good through the builds. Felt even better in the "cool-down"! I had to hold back now and then as the HR climbined around 141/142 i could feel it moving more to styeady and breathing labouring a bit. Shocked to see a 04:08/km average for the 45mins! Left calf was a little iffy now and then, felt slightly "weak" if that makes any sense.
    11k, 45mins, 04:08/km

Core/Rolling
    Did 12mins of core (20 situps, 30 bicycle, 20 dorsal raises, 20s feet 6inches up, 60s plank, 30s side planks, 10 pushups, 20 situps, 10 lunges) and then rolled. Left calf was seriously sore, few lumpy spots but moreso just sore all over! Couldnt put much pressure on it but slowly managed to get some sort of pressure on it. Did some of the sideways rolling too at some of the worst spots
    24mins

Going well so far. Only "bad" session was yesterdays bike but im over it, not going to dwell on it. Not sure whats going on with the run legs! Im flying for some reason!

Thursday 28th Feb
    Core/Rolling
    I wanted to wait to do the bike until after work so that i could really focus on it so with a free hour at lunch i went for the gym. Did a very short bit of core (<10mins) but was more interested in trying to sort this left calf. Its fine running and walking but kills me to roll. NO niggles of aches in it but just a bit apprehensive that it starts flaring up the left side again and then migrates to issues in right hip as happens now and then after a block of work. Going to nurse it as much as possible and get some sports massages in (1 booked for 22/03 and another to book - Groupon vouchers). If these voucher massages don't do the trick ill head for THWTT!
    20mins

Bike with 30 @ 90%
    I was half dreading this after Tuesday's poor show and set an alarm at 265 thinking that even if i was going bad id still manage that and i wouldn't have the alarm wrecking my head too much. Aim was for 287W ave for the 30. As it turned out it went great! 301W ave is nearer 95% but felt good. It was controlled well and i felt like i could have gone 60mins at it. It was a bit of effort alright but i was never in danger. Looking back i possibly overcooked it slightly but i felt and still feel good. I'll know more on Saturday's cycle!
    55mins, 28.68km, 275W NP

Super running Eddie and great to see you are getting back into the swing of these. Like you I really need to make sure I do core work, I was very good last year (first half) so I need to get back to that. My aim next week is to get in 2 core sessions.

• Advertisement

I knew i had let this slip a bit but a month since an update!! Wow. Didnt see that month go by.

In summary March went as follows:

Swim Bike Run
    Week 1 7750 90.07 40.51
    Week 2 5600 46.66 16.17 Grandfather passed away and I started to feel sick on Wednesday
    Week 3 5500 147.76 54.56 Funeral was only on the Monday and was still ill til Tuesday/Wednesday
    Week 4 5400 169.98 50.41

24,250 454.47 161.65

Good points - Running legs are coming back, swimming doesn't feel so alien but is good one day, not so the next but its getting there and biking is improving a fair bit. Ive been holding around 285-300W mark now for long enough periods and it feels more comfortable every week. Just need to get that figure to my HIM intensity. Bit off that yet but i have until October!

Bad points - Grandad passed away slightly unexpectedly! :( That also coincided with a small cold. It didn't effect me too much thankfully and i only missed 3 or 4 days, never took a hold. The weight was going down but then i piled it back on. Just over a long weekend of eating too well and drinking a lot more than normal but i had a blast and spent time with loads of friends i don't see enough.

Slight concern at the moment is a tight plantar fascia in both legs! Id noticed tight calves for a little while which were almost unbearable to roll and over the past few days ive noticed my feet being achy when i get up first in the morning or when i stand after sitting for prolonged periods. Ive been rolling both feet out the past day and a half with a sliotar whilst sitting at the desk, big improvement in right foot but left needs more today.

Races
    Im thinking of a duathlon this month, possibly at the end of a rest week (next week) but we'll see. Im smashed after a good weekend away in Fundoran so not sure i can afford it (credit card living until payday two weeks away!) Got plenty of enjoyable training and surfing in whilst there but again i ate/drank loads! A few clean weeks now and i'l be back on track to hit about 76kg by end May/Early June.

Advertisement