Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Craughwell 10 Mile Sun 18th March 2012 @ 1:00PM

Options
  • 02-01-2012 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

It's back! And this is the thread to discuss it!

Same format as previous years, aside from minor tweaks. A minor tweak we are making this year is (despite the misprint on the poster below), we won't be having a mixed team event on the day this year. Though fun, it didn't really work and this year the team event will be the standard first past the post Male/Female teams.

Anyhow there is the blurb:

c10_2012.jpg

- Fast, flat route
    - Closed roads
    - Prizes and category prizes
    - incorporating Galway AAI 10-mile championships
    - Tech T-Shirts for first 500 entrants
    - Tasty food
    - Entry fee 20 euro (will likely go up a bit a month before the race to help us get the headcount sorted)
    - Rated 9/10 in Irish Runner Magazine.
    - Boards feedback from previous events: 2011,2010

- Enter here

- Current Course Records:
    MS: 49:12 Sean Connolly, 2011
    FS: 58:59 Pauline Curley, 2011
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I'm in. Great race, beats the hell out of travelling to the arse end of nowhere for a certain other high profile 10miler(awaits torrent of abuse).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

tunguska wrote: »
    I'm in. Great race, beats the hell out of travelling to the arse end of nowhere for a certain other high profile 10miler(awaits torrent of abuse).

You shouldnt talk about the frank duffy 10 like that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

so is the course direction the same as last year's or have you reverted back to the origional 2010 loop? I thought last year that it would be easier reversing it, but it felt harder. Then again, that could have just been me as I had a crap run !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Original loop seemed quicker than last year, couple of big potholes last year at mile eight , and drag uphill from then on just when you are tiring , maybe its all in the mind, how do the two profiles compare...

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

The loop is the same as last year. The reason for the change is so that the narrow section happens after 8 miles rather than after 1 mile which was causing traffic for those starting back the field.

I don't know about the relative difficulties of the two loops - they should be the same as the start and finish point are about the same (the re-measuring did add about 10m to the length of the course - not to say that the original was short, every time you measure a course with a Jones you get a slightly different result - over 10 miles, 10m is about as consistent as it gets, considering different measurers and bikes were used..). Pauline Curley was faster in 2011 than 2010, but in general most people were around the same.

We'll do our best to get any holes filled, I haven't travelled on the route recently but country roads generally seem to be a lot worse this year (lack of finding?) so I'd say it might need some tlc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Garmin link anyone?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

A quick google search shows that Git101 has done this race so he might have a garmin link.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/7637248 is what I found

A quick google search shows that Git101 has done this race so he might have a garmin link.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/7637248 is what I found

Thanks, are you suggesting that I'm lazy? ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Thanks, are you suggesting that I'm lazy? ;)

No, just assuming you don't know him by name so you wouldn't have noticed.

*Good save*

*Good save*

I applaud you yet again! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Garmin link anyone?

If only there was a thread on boards where people left their Garmin links of races....
    Oh wait there is one already ;)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/27008273

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Cool, looking forward to this, its a great race.

Bloody better beat last years shambolic time too. Walked calmly up to the start line with a few mins to stretch and that only to realise i'd left my timing chip back in the car. Had to leg it back to the car park as fast as i could, was wrecked by the time i got to the start line again, but i did learn a valuable (if obvious) lesson!

The route is also up on mapmyrun. Enter soon they are filling up fast (actually they aren't really but I feel obliged to say it :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

i'm in.
    first time doing a ten miler and looking forward to it.
    so in terms of difficulty how does the course compare to the likes of the fields of athenry course (which is a pretty fair course) , say? harder? easier?
    anyhow i've heard nothing but good feedback about this race so bring it on. good to have a good 10 miler in the heart of teh west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

i'm in.
    first time doing a ten miler and looking forward to it.
    so in terms of difficulty how does the course compare to the likes of the fields of athenry course (which is a pretty fair course) , say? harder? easier?
    anyhow i've heard nothing but good feedback about this race so bring it on. good to have a good 10 miler in the heart of teh west.

Its very flat , pretty much the same as athenry 10k in terms of difficulty . Great atmosphere and community spirit , brilliant organisation and if only for the spread at the end well worth it :) enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Seres wrote: »
    Its very flat , pretty much the same as athenry 10k in terms of difficulty . Great atmosphere and community spirit , brilliant organisation and if only for the spread at the end well worth it :) enjoy

While I definitely agree that it is a very well organised race with a great atmosphere and support, I would have to say that the course isn't as flat as the fields. There are some serious hills thrown in there to keep you honest, but overall, its not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Speedy44 wrote: »
    While I definitely agree that it is a very well organised race with a great atmosphere and support, I would have to say that the course isn't as flat as the fields. There are some serious hills thrown in there to keep you honest, but overall, its not too bad.

Maybe my sweet memories fail me , i blame it on the post race cakes i ate last year !

Just a reminder that there are only 10 days of 20eu entries left. After that the price goes up by a fiver. Would be great if everyone entered at the lower 20eu price. The hike is to encourage early entry so we can figure out how much stuff to order, etc, not to make money.

http://www.runireland.com/events/craughwell-10-mile-2012

On the course flatness thing - I would count it similar enough to athenry - I find the last 2k of athenry tricky enough, but maybe that's the pace as athenry is usually a big target (for me :)). It's all at sea level, but there are a few drags - especially near the end. The course is similar enough to ballycotton, except that the hill is not as as steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

I'm in! Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

Signed up for this a couple of days ago. Looking forward to finishing at my old National School :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

Managed to persuade the boss that a a trip west over Paddys week-end would be just the thing for the kids ...so I'm in ! Looking forward to my first experience of what sounds like a cracking race.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

Bumping as a reminder for anyone that is around Galway for the long weekend, this takes place this coming Sunday, Mothers Day. :)

No better way to make your Mother proud than running 10 miles around Galway :D, you can even give her the medal as a present :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

lway wrote: »
    No better way to make your Mother proud than running 10 miles around Galway :D, you can even give her the medal as a present :D.

class.:)

did you ever consider a job in marketing ?

Hey - hopefully you're all going well and set for a big pb!! Just can't believe it's only 5 days to go - this one really snuck up on me. Was half-hoping to run it myself (if the organization committee would let me), but injured again so that settles that. Best of luck to everyone in the hypochondriatic last few days where your whole body usually seems to fall apart.

Also I just noticed that the link in the original posting is wrong - the runireland link is actually:

http://www.runireland.com/events/craughwell-10-mile-2012

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Well done Craughwell AC. Another fantastically well run event.
    Fair play for organising sunshine for the race.

If you happen to find a black under armour t-shirt, with race number attach, in the car park it's mine ...... Ooops

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GKiraly

Well done to the organisers of todays race, top notch, absolutely flawless. This race should be a benchmark for other races out there, €15 for a 10 mile race with a tech tshirt, medal, savage spread of grub, rub down after, etc. Weather was good too, not much wind either. Thoroughly enjoyed it, well done guys.

Makes me wonder, a race like this, all thats included for the price that it is, I just cant figure out how to justify charging €70 for a race only 3 miles longer.....

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jcunniffe

Results are now up on www.redtagtiming.com.

Well done to all who raced in great conditions today & to Barry and Mick for the sprint home.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Well done to everyone in Craughwell AC. Another cracking race, even got the weather perfect.
    And a nice new PB for me in the process :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭diddleyland

brilliant race loved every minute of it well done craughwell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Great atmosphere, challenging but rewarding course, started perfectly on time. Great support all the way around, and the spread of food afterwards was savage.

My first 10 mile, and I'll deffo be back annually for this one.
    Well done all in Craughwell - you looked very professional in all your flash new club gear :D

Advertisement