Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Rebels Marathon/Duathlon/Triathlon Dream

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

Yeah i joined a pool in town as it wont take me long to get there and I think thats a very important thing ! Otherwise I would end up not bothering if it was far!

This week is the first week of my 'proper' training for the Waterford Marathon and theres 17 weeks 4 days until it begins. So tonight I began with yet another 3 Miles again and I think now I am getting used to running again.

I should have taken more fluids on board earlier in the day as I felt very weak today.I am going to run once I am finished at work most of the time and it will take me a while to get used to this. If I go home and rest before I go out, I tend to not want to do it and then it feels like the whole night is taken up. Doing it straight away after work lets me have the rest of the night for anything else I want to do.

So tonight I did 3 Miles in 29 mins with Avg Pace of 9.37.

Its a bit slower than before but I think its because I was a bit dehydrated and should be drinking earlier in the day. In future, I will have this sorted so I am more up for it and have more energy!

Tonight was yet another 3 miles and I tried to do it as fast as I could.I was more hydrated before I began and so I felt a lot fresher and had more energy.I feel like my body is getting back into the running mode and it doesn't seem to mind so much now! :D Little and often is my motto to begin with!

I did the run then went off doing Kung Fu for around an hour and a half with a weight vest.It was very tiring but then I went for a swim afterward. I use the word swim loosely as it was more of a paddle! I spent around 25 mins in the pool and I was only getting used to swimming again.From now on I will start working on my acual technique but I will probably get lessons in the future.Then I was in the Jacuzzi for a while and it was great for tired muscles! It was a good night!

So I did 3 Miles in 28 mins with Avg Pace of 9.19 which is a bit quicker than before but not much!

I felt good today and got out for a good run.Yesterday was my usual 'day off' from running and I felt fresh today.I wanted to run more than the 3 miles that I have been doing this week.I went on a slightly different route that I found and it has a steep hill that has a type of path/track on it. It winds up the hill like an 'S' and is very hard on the legs but worth it when I get to the top!! In my mind I like to think I am Rocky at the top :D

So I decided on doing 6 miles and was hoping to try and do it in one hour.It is slow for most runners but tough for me! I met a good few runners out tonight so its always nice to see other people doing the mileage too!

So I did 6.02 Miles in 1 hour exactly! with Avg Pace of 9.58

BTW In the 1000 Mile challenge I have done 87.57 Miles so far this year so I hope to really put in more miles from now on.

After I finished work today, I went for a short rest to get ready for a run and it was a good help.I would normally be tired anyway from work never mind the running! I went off again a bit later than I wanted to but it was not too bad.I went on my new trail and actually found out thats its a small park with several trails goiing around it.Its perfect for running as there wouldn't be loads and loads of people around.The only thing is that when I was leaving there, there was a group of young lads gathering with bags of drink around a bench so it was definitely time to leave! This is why I dont want to go there too late.

I am happier that the weather is getting a bit warmer too as its hard to go outside when its freezing.Running doesn't feel as bad now because I think my body is getting used to it and its helping make it all easier.I did another 6 miles today and again I was trying to do it in an hour.I did more hills today and as I was running I felt a sharp pain near my toes.I was wondering what is was and just thought it was a toenail that was catching the side of another toe.Thats what it felt like.I just kept going!

I did do the 6 Miles in an hour again so I am very happy with that.There was a lot more hills today in the paths I was running and I didn't think I would make it in the hour.

So I did 6.02 miles in 1 hour exactly again like yesterday! It used to take me another 10 mins to do that a few months ago so I am slowly improving.

When I got home I took off my runners to find my toes covered in blood. I got a big fright from it :eek: I had totally forgot about the pain at the start of the run.When I cleaned off the blood and looked in the sock, there was a tiny piece of hard stone with sharp corners in there.It was obviously bouncing around and making tiny cuts.They are only like paper cuts but its amazing the amount of blood that came out.The top of my runner is all tinged with red now too.There was only one cut that needed a plaster and the rest are ok now. I will be fine tomorrow and sunday to go running so its nothing to worry about! Phew!

The good news is that my toe is all healed up and fine although my runner is still tinged with red from the blood on top.It looks like a war wound but thats ok! I thought it was important to get back out today after having 2 good days and want to keep doing something most days.

Yet again I went out a bit later than planned but I was determined to get out there and not be stuck on the couch! I decided to do 4 miles as my plan called for anything between 3-6 miles.I didn't think I would have been able for 6 again but as usual once I got out I wanted to do more.I felt like I could have but I want to stick to whatever distance I have decided at the start.Last year I did a lot more than I originally planned one day and then took ages to recover.I always try to do too much too soon!

It had rained earlier in the day but it wasn't when I went out but it was cold on the legs.The funny thing is once I was back home and finished it started lashing rain so I went at the right time.As I have said before running 'feels' easier now and thats a very good thing.

So I did 4.02 Miles in 39.27 mins with Avg Pace of 9.49.I started off slow as I felt tired but ended up really sprinting at the finish.Another good day!

• Advertisement

Today was another day that I went out later than planned but it was due to the Ireland/France rugby game! I thought France would be winning easy and I could head off but it didnt turn out like that.Close game! So off I went and thankfully it wasn't raining but just a bit cold.

My plan called for 4-8 miles with 4 being at least the minimum.I ran my usual route but took a detour down an area that I had never been before. I ended up going around a soccer pitch and cutting cross a huge grass area. My speed totally dropped while going across grass and made me think how Cross Country running must be very hard.

About 3 miles in, I decided to try and go for the full 8 miles. Whatever it is with me, I seem to find the first few miles of any run the worst then once I settle into the rhythm, I feel like I could keep going.I was doing a lot of gradients/hills in this run and I hope they will stand to me.It certainly was not flat.Once I hit 4 miles I said just do the same again!

At 6 miles I was at my usual hour mark and the last 2 miles felt easy.I ended up doing 10 min per mile and I was happy that I kept my speed level.Once I finished I did a stretching routine to ease out my leg muscles for around 20 min as I was worried about them stiffening up after running the longer distance.

I did 8.02 Miles in 1:20 with Avg Pace of 10 min.This is the first week done of my plan for the Waterford Marathon and I have done a total of 30 miles just this week so it's a great start.Really want to keep this going!!

Last week was a bit of a washout due to an ear infection that I got from going swimming. I usually swim with ear plugs as I always get ear infections otherwise. While I was practicing my stroke one of them fell out and it totally ruined my week. The good thing is that its ok again now but it just takes time to go away.So Week 2 of my training was a total of zero miles! :(

I wanted to start off this week in a good way so I went off out tonight and did just over 6 miles and rounded it off by running up a hill that is almost impossible to walk up quickly. Its a hill that would be well known in the area in which I live and I started by just seeing how far I could get. Then I was halfway and kept going by pumping the legs as hard as I could!

Near the end of my run my phone reset itself so I lost my distance and time. :mad: I knew I was just coming up to 6 miles in about an hour and I did another half a mile after that then the hill.As usual I felt like Rocky at the top! :D

When I got in home, I decided to get on my bike that is on a trainer. I have the distance computer hooked up to the rear wheel even though its meant to be on the front. It mightn't be an exact readout of what I am doing but at least it gives me an idea of what I am doing.I did 10.7 Km or 6.6 Miles in 21 minutes.Its only a small start but its time I started using the bike more.

So it was a good night having done around 6.5 miles running and 6.6 miles cycling!

I didn't do anything all week as I was busy with other things at work and trying to clear my desk before I was off for a while.I had to work overtime to do this so I didn't get to do anything.As I was off yeserday, I rested and today I went out for a short quick run of only 2.5 Miles.This was just a tune-up and to shake off the cobwebs before I actually do a race tomorrow!

Yes, Preparation this week has not been good at all but the main thing for me is taking part and finishing it.The race I am doing is the Mallow 10 Mile road race.I would love to follow the pacers for 90mins but I think its beyond me to hold that for the whole race. I want to make sure I don't go off too quick which is what happened to me in the Charleville Half Marathon.I was wrecked near the end and this time I want to be able to finish stronger.This means I am going to start off a gentle jog for the first few miles and then try to speed up in the last few.The course seems flat which is good but I wish I had been able to run more this week.

I am aiming for around 1 hour 45 but I will see how it goes. I know its slow but I like running and just want to finish it! I dont mind if it takes longer.Today I got overheated doing 2.5 miles and will definitely wear less tomorrow.I am looking forward to it as its my first race this year and hope I get into my rhythm early enough!

So today I did 2.5 miles in 24 mins with Avg Pace of 9.36 and this seemed like a gentle jog so I am happy with that.I felt good running and have no niggles or injuries so thats good.Best of Luck to anyone else taking part in this or any other race tomorrow!!!!!:D

I had a good race today in the Mallow 10 Mile road race.I have been recovering since I finished but I enjoyed the run.There were a few probs at the water stations as they seemed to be swamped but when people donate their time and effort to do them, its still appreciated. My main problem was with groups of women running at least 4 or 5 abreast.This happened to me about 5 times with different groups.Having to put in extra effort to go around them is very annoying and I saw other people doing the same. Obviously they are friends and want to run together but taking up the whole space is very annoying. They wouldn't bunch up at all and I am not sure why. When there was anyone overtaking me I made sure to get out of the way! I am relatively knew to running but surely its common sense and courtesy.

At the start, I never saw so many people to begin a race! I stayed at the side so I wouldn't get swept along and go too quick! There was a good buzz tho and everyone was in good form.I saw some women with ipods but the running police never stopped them! :D I made absolute sure to start off very slow and sure enough a lot of people raced past me. I really had to keep my ego in check as we all want to keep up when we are passed out.Sure enough by mile 3, I passed a lot of these people out as I settled into my groove.I was going very well and felt good but I couldn't see the mile markers.They seemed very small but maybe I was not observant enough! I asked a guy next to me where were they and he told me they were down low. I happened to be looking high at poles!

I could see the 90 min pacers in front of me and I was trying to keep them within sight all the time.By 5 miles they were only a bit ahead and I was amazed that I was doing so well.At 6 miles I began to almost hallucinate as I was thinking that I was coming up to 8 miles! I hate when that happens! :pac:

I thought the second half seemed to have a lot of slopes which made it difficult but when people clap and give encouragement it makes all the difference! Maybe I thought there was slopes as I was tired though! At 8 Miles it felt great as there were just two left. I felt that I was going a bit slower than the 90 mins and sure enough the pacers seemed to disappear as they kept to their time. I seemed to have one last spurt and ploughed on and finally turned the last corner. The end was in sight!

I managed to keep pushing on and finished strong so thats what I was very happy with. I crossed the finish line a couple of mins after the 90 mins which is great for me as I thought I would at least be 105 mins at my best!! I think if I keep my training going I will knock more mins off that time. This was the first race where I kept a nice pace and felt okay throughout.I just need to keep running in the coming weeks and my times will drop further. I still can't believe I was just over the 90 mins and it shows I am improving! :D

Well I had 2 days rest after the Mallow 10 Miler and decided tonight would be good to get out again. Last year after the Charleville Half Marathon, I took a break but ended up not running until over a month later! I was so happy having run it that I thought I deserved a break but then kept putting my return off!! I didn't want that to happen so I decided on tonight as soon as I was finished the race on Monday.

It was a very dark night and was raining when I started and it didn't help that I finished work later than I had planned. So off I went and the good thing about rain is that the paths were fairly free of people as I ran along.I wanted to do an easy pace as this is the first run after the race.

I wanted to do 6 Miles but even after a little bit I felt like stopping. Thankfully I broke through this feeling and kept going. I did the full 6 miles and then another half a mile! Then to finish off, I ran up THAT hill near my house as fast as I could. My legs were screaming going up it but its like a little win every time I get to the top! I did a warm down at the end to ease out my muscles finishing off the night.

So I did 6.51 Miles in 1:09 with Avg Pace of 10.41. Slower than usual but it was good to go out again.:D

In the 1000 Mile challenge I have done 131.14 Miles since the start of the year so its been a good year so far!!

• Advertisement

The past few days I have been taking a step back and deciding on the best way to go forward with my training after having done the Mallow 10 Mile race.The nights are a lot brighter and this means that I can get some cycling in outdoors. Everyone in other logs here, says it really helps to do cycling in addition to the running. I know I can do it in the dark but I much prefer the light so I dont need all the reflective gear and lights and so on.So last friday I was debating what to do and decided to go get more tubes as I didn't have any left. I had been out cycling just hoping I don't get a puncture but this was a good while ago!

I am going to make an effort with the swimming too. At least if I can get into the pool more so I become comfortable in the water it will be a great help. I will still need to get a couple of lessons down the line but its not a priority for now. I just want to get in the pool as its great for tired muscles and enjoying it is the main thing!

So I made out an updated plan on the weekend and started on it tonight.I want to try to fit in running, cycling and swimming more than I have been. It was a lovely night for a run with the sun being out so off I went.I had planned to do 6 miles and ended up doing 6.25 which ended with a sprint up THAT hill again. It was good to see people looking at me as they drove up and down the hill as they seemed amazed to see someone trying to run it. Its only a short hill but extremely steep.

I went straight in home and changed to go out on the bike.I wasn't rushing but I didn't delay either to keep the momentum.It was still a lovely night and I planned to cycle out for 30 mins then turn around and go back. This was just to get me going again on the bike! As I was just getting used to it again a group of kids saw me going by and used me for target practice with their football.I managed to avoid it and continued on.Then further on there was another group of even younger sproglets and one of them threw a full bottle of water at me!! :mad: He hit my bike but there was no damage and they thought it was hilarious. I wanted to get off and kick the crap out of them but I kept going.

After that I settled into the ride and really enjoyed it.I was just reaching the point where I was about to turn around when........sssssssssssssssss!!
    I had a puncture in the back tire.Thank god I got the tubes! I set about changing it on the roadside for the first time. I was thinking it semed to be a bad luck night what with kids and a puncture but then a kind guy stopped his car to see if I needed help.I was tempted to say yes and throw the bike in the back and get a lift home! But I said no I was ok and finished changing the tube in around 15 mins. I was delighted with myself and went straight for home as it was a bit later than I had planned!

I finished ok and altogether it was a lovely ride.I did 10.13 Miles/16.3K in 52 mins so it was good doing it just after the run. It is a good start to the week getting both in! :D

So I ran 6.25 Miles in 1:06 with Avg Pace of 10.36
    and cycled 10.13 Miles/16.3K in 52 mins

Since the last update I had a lot of things going on such as 2 birthday parties and more importantly my wedding anniversary! I put everything on hold until yesterday (by that I mean sunday 8th) where I finally got out again. I was going to go out with the Cork Tri club for a cycle but I was away for the weekend. I took the bike with me and went on a cycle though! I wasn't sure how long I was going to do but just kept going.

I ended up doing just over 40miles/65 km which is my longest cycle ever. I should have brought some money with me to get even a banana/apple or chocolate as I felt very weak near the end. I had water but usually when I train in anything I always have an energy drink. Last time I went cycling I had an energy drink and felt fine. I had to stop 3 times in all and while I didn't mind the stop at 20 miles as it was halfway, the other two were more because I needed to clear my head a bit. I felt tired at the end but I was dying to get some food in me and once I ate, I felt fine again. It was awful passing shops but having no money!!

So the lesson is learned the hard way but it won't happen again.I am very happy having gone so far as the most I have done up until now was only 25 miles.Now I want to get back to the running this week as I havent been out on the road in a while.

I did 40.3 Miles/65 Km Cycling in 3:27 (This includes breaks I took)

After the mini break I had, I want to get everything going again and it begins tomorrow! :D

In typical what always happens style, I havent been out at all much this week.I got a cold and havent been able to shake it off all week. I have an important Kung Fu seminar tomorrow but I want to get out running and cycling again on sunday.

I was hoping to get clipless pedals and cycling shoes today but the shop didn't have my shoe size so I will get them next week instead.I am going to spring for the expensive ones as I am hoping they will last a good while! :D

I went to my Kung Fu seminar on saturday and got through it but felt tired after it. It took around 4 hours and even though I wanted to go out on sunday to train, I rested the full day.

Tonight I got home from work later than planned but I was determined to get going again.It was really wet out and of course its off putting! I read the fantastic Bally8's report of the Nenagh triathlon and its just made me think of how that was going to be one of the races that i wanted to do at the start of the year.

I have to really get my swimming going soon as the cycling and running are ok but the swimming is way behind! So I went off cycling and while it was wet out, I was fine and happy cycling away! I wanted to do 20Km but as I started much later than planned I finished after about 17Km.

When I got in home I changed and went off running. I felt very good after the cold but I didnt want to do too much too soon especially in the wet weather.It was way later than I wanted to go out so all in all I just did 3.75 miles/6 Km. I just did it slow but it was like a Mini Duathlon and a good start to training again!

So I cycled 17Km in 44 mins and
    ran 3.75 Miles/6 Km in 40 mins

I had a really busy week and didn't get to do anything unfortunately until today.I got my clipless pedals finally so today I headed off early for a long cycle.I didn't know how long I wanted to do but just kept going like the Energiser bunny! I ended up cycling to Youghal and it ended up a nice day even though there was a rainy start.

The Clipless pedals have made a huge difference and I really enjoyed the cycle.I took a stop in Youghal and then set course for home.I got a puncture on the way back and while I changed the tube, I saw that Strava had crashed! :mad: very annoying!

The good thing is that I have a cycling computer too so I was able to see when I finished that I did 98 Km.This was my longest cycle ever so I am very happy with it. This was all due to my pedals as I got way more power each time I put the foot down.

I am feeling a lot more confident cycling now! :D

Its a pity recently that I havent been able to do the training that I would like due to being snowed under at work. I think it will die down for a while now so it gives me a chance to get going again.

I went out for another cycle tonight and it turned into a very enjoyable one. I did about 30Km and it was good for my confidence on the bike.I want to try to do this as many times as I can during the week and then a longer one on the weekends.

I really have to make an effort now with my swimming as thats the only thing lacking at the moment.Again the clipless pedals make eveything a lot more enjoyable when I am cycling so thats a good thing. I want to try to get out for a run soon too to keep that side of things going but swimming will have to become a priority!!!!!!!!!! :)

My training has still been hampered recently due to a lot of personal and work stuff but I went away for the weekend to Tipperary.I brought my bike with me and yesterday decided to go for a long cycle to help clear the head and get me back on track so to speak!

I started off in Nenagh intending to cycle to Roscrea and back so off I went.It seemed like a nice day and I felt fresh not having done anything in a while.All of a sudden there were some heavy showers broken up by sunshine so it was kind of strange! I got to Roscrea and decided to keep going onwards.I think I wanted to test myself and do a bit of penance for not training too!

I was full sure that I would stop and turn around in Borris in Ossory but when I got there I kept on going until I made it to Mountrath.It is a lovely part of the country and I was really enjoying the ride even though there were bouts of hail to contend with every so often.At Mountrath I turned around and headed straight back to Nenagh.

When I came back into Nenagh the sun came out again and it felt great finishing in the sun.I was tired but it felt good doing a really long cycle.It is the longest one I have ever done so far and I enjoyed it all.I definitely will do it again maybe slightly varying route or shortening it.

Today I rested after doing it but its another good cycle!

So I did 114 Km/70.8 Miles in 4:49!

Ok it was the start of a new week and yet another 'new dawn' for me! :D

I have thought about where I am and obviously I need to put more effort in to my swimming. I haven't swam in ages.I have decided to try to get into the pool more often to try and get at least being in the pool second nature to me. It still feels strange and I am still afraid most of the time!

I went in today to the pool and tried to work on my breathing and stroke. Of course it took me a while to settle down and relax in there because being in water still feels weird! I nearly drowned as a kid and up until recently I was terrified of water. This is why I had group lessons a while back and I was doing quite well at the end of them but now it feels back to square one. I stayed in there for 30 mins trying to settle down and work on my breathing as I have watched loads of videos and going back over what I did in those lessons.

I will still need more lessons but my main objective for now is to get comfortable in the water. Near the end I was beginning to get the idea again so it will take time! Then I hopped into the Jacuzzi for around 12-15 mins again and it was lovely! I am trying to associate happy thoughts with water! :D

Then I went home and later went out for a run after I got my running gear sorted. Again it felt like I had never done it before as I didn't do much last month at all.:o I went for a gentle jog more so to get out and get going again rather than anything else and it did feel good when I was finished. It seemed like a reset button or a way to shake me up and get going again.

I did 4 miles in 43 mins which is very slow but I did take a wrong turn at one stage! I was wondering where a path went that was winding up a high bank but then it just stopped up there! lol I had to take it easy coming back down so I ended up walking back down.I sped up near the end of the run and felt strong.My intention was to only do 2.5 or 3 miles but felt stronger near the end!

When I got home I went on the turbo but took an age setting up the wired computer for the rear wheel. I used an extra one I had and ran the wire up the crossbar so I could see it. In future I will have this done beforehand!

I just did 16 mins on it as it was getting late and next time I will up the resistance as it was too easy! It was like cycling downhill but these teething problems will be sorted out for next time! I did 16.2 km/10 miles but as I said it was far too easy.

All in all a nice night but I want to try to have everything ready in future as loads of time wasted getting out clothes and setting bike up etc...

Wow! I havent been doing much training recently with so much going on in my life. My trip to the USA fell through at the last minute so I didn't get to go. This was why I wasn't training as I thought I would be over there and I had other work/personal stuff going on too. It annoyed me because I could have been training for the Cork Marathon all along and have been able to do it as I would have been in Cork for it.

I am going to focus on my running for the most part but I still want to try and keep doing bits of cycling and swimming whenever I can. Swimming is something that I will have to get lessons in order to improve. For the cycling I might try to go out with Cork Tri club this sunday to see what they are like but I will have to see.

The main thing is to realise one on my dreams this year and the main one of the Cork Marathon did not work out! Its going to be a while before I do a triathlon so I have set my sights on the......wait for it.........

The Sligo City Marathon! Ta daaaaaaaaaaa! :D When I was looking it up last night it said there was 100 days until it starts and that will give me time to train. I have never been up in Sligo so it will be a good excuse to travel up there and stay there as well!

:o Well..... due to various things happening in regular life, everything fell through last year so here I am again! I am going to try and train properly this year!:rolleyes:

I have made a resolution to run at least 1 Mile every day.:eek: This is just my way of making sure I get out the door and its already worked this week!

So far I have got out for the first five days this year doing a total of 11.5 miles and I have also done a kettlebell workout. This is after doing nothing for 2 weeks over Christmas so I am happy. I am trying to make running just natural for me by running every day.

I am going to still do cycling,swimming and martial arts too this year but the main target will be the Cork City Marathon. I am doing the Ballycotton 10 and the Mallow 10 also.I just want to complete the marathon and then next time improve my time.

The first few days have been good so far with me just getting out to do my mile at least and then I end up doing a bit more. From tomorrow onwards I will update on my actual runs/cycles but as I said earlier I have done 11.5 Miles so far this year!

Run Distance this year - 11.5 Miles / 18.5 Km

Cycle Distance this year - Zero

• Advertisement

I meant to go cycling today or yesterday but unfortunately it didn't happen so I decided to go for a longer run today.The weather was quite poor when I decided to go out and I prefer that! It keeps footpaths clear when there is drizzly rain around!

I felt very tired starting out and was going to stop after 3 miles but then I seemed to get a second wind and kept going.The route I was doing had a lot of gradients and hills which I hope will stand to me in the long run.I ended up doing 6 miles in 1 hr 4 mins so Avg. Pace is 10.39/mi. This is a bit slow but there was a lot of hills!

A great start to the first week of 2013 with me getting out every day to run something and long may it continue.The new years resolution of doing at least a mile every day is working so far as it gives me something to aim for as well as the marathon.17.5 miles in the first week is very encouraging! :)

Run Distance this year - 17.5 Miles / 28.1 Km

Today I had to work on at work (Where else? :D) so I got home later than I thought and then I went to visit my dad in hospital. Thankfully he is ok as he was in for a routine operation so all is well.

I was hoping to get out for a longer run but due to the above it was much later than I normally go running I decided to go for a sprint.I decided to do just one mile as fast as I could! This way I keep to my resolution of one mile a day and get back home in time to actually relax before bed.

I picked a straight 0.5 mile route and just ran out and back.Before you laugh at the time, I am just a fun runner!

I got a personal record for the mile as I did it in 8min 19 secs. I'm happy with that as I put everything I had into it! It was raining out as well and I had a jacket on so maybe on a better day I could run faster. Thats if it wasn't a work day and I had nothing else on ! :D

All in all I am happy with keeping up the rule of a mile a day and to me thats a good time. Hopefully I can run for longer than one mile each day this week (And get cycling on the weekend!) :)

Run Distance this year - 18.5 Miles / 29.7 Km

Another late night at work and I only got home around 8. I really wanted to do more milage tonight but getting home late after a tough day at work put an end to that idea!

The good thing is that I again went out for a quick mile but only as a jog. It was a good thing that it was just a jog because as it was dark where I was running, I tripped and fell. I got up and kept going to finish the run. Not a great night but at least I keep my streak of running at least a mile a day!

I did 1 mile in 9.44. Another mile on the clock!

Run Distance this year - 19.5 Miles / 31.4 Km

The good news is that my dad is out of hospital and he is recovering now. That was playing on my mind for a while.

The bad news is that I have had a cold all week and cannot seem to shake it off especially a sore throat.

But......I have been keeping my streak of running at least a mile every day. I have been literally going out running for half a mile then turn around and run home. They have been only for around 10 mins each day but it definitely has got me 'programmed' to go running and I have been trying to do them quickly.

I know just doing the bare minimun doesn't do much but they have got me up and out of the house when I would be just sitting on the couch with the cold.Its pleasing that even the cold has not stopped me from doing a quick run. It shows what you can do when you want to! Hopefully I will be upping the milage this week.

Run Distance this year - 24.7 Miles / 39.7 Km

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Super news about your dad! Mind the cold....as i've been told, best to take a rest if it moves to your chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Y ; there's a lingering cold with sore throat followed by chest infection creeping around. Bed & lemsips & lots of blankets - hard to shake ! We all got it/shared it around!!

I found a great plan on one of the threads that recommended. Hal Higdon running/ training plan. It's dead simple . No science & no complicated stuff & you can print it off & stick it on your fridge on a single sheet .
    There is one called a super novice training plan for " the" marathon - and it is for a 30 week training period . It's really good cos you don't have to voter worrying what to do : it's a schedule that is planned to bring you slowly to somehow being able to actually do a marathon! It's a running recipy - all you have to do is follow it!!!! No cheating!! It gives you days off too!!!!

As you seemed to be fit there is one for 18 weeks that is harder, ( I think it's called novice!) ( novice! 18 weeks!!?)
    Anyway - then you google marathons in the date framework of the end of the plan that you think suites you beat and... Viola!!! You might end up in Barcelona! Or Dubai! Or Achill!! Have a look. It's also free- my favourite!!!! Third time lucky!!!! Best of luck.

BtW : great news about your Dad : )

Thanks for the kind thoughts from everyone about my dad.He is on crutches now and doing well.:D

As JustAThought and Dory Dory said, my cold moved a bit into my chest so I had to suspend my mile a day routine. I was disappointed but I had also something more important happening........The birth of my son on Thursday!!!!!!:eek: :)

I had time each day when I got home to run but my cold just made me get into bed with a lemsip.My nose and lips were red raw so the last thing I needed was running in the cold weather!

I am only coming out of the cold now so I am still not able to run or cycle.As I have time off because of baby, I hope to get back running on tuesday or wednesday but once I go back running I don't want to stop running each day again.

I am enjoying time with baby but I can't wait to get training again too.It will be a great feeling to come home to him after an exhausting run or cycle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I am enjoying time with baby but I can't wait to get training again too.It will be a great feeling to come home to him after an exhausting run or cycle!!

I can assure you that feeling will soon pass ;)

Congrats to you and your missus

catweazle wrote: »
    I can assure you that feeling will soon pass ;)

Congrats to you and your missus

Well that feeling has not passed at all!:)

In fact, He was the only thing keeping me going.I thought my cold was going away but it got much worse. Obviously the runs were not helping so I had to stop them. I ended up just coming home from work all the time and going straight to bed.My energy completely disappeared and I had to go to the doctor to get stuff for a flu.

This meant me staying out of work for a while and all I was doing was sleeping or slumped on the couch! So after about a week I was feeling better and dying to get training again when suddenly I would get crippling headaches every couple of hours.Off I went to doctors and found out I had sinusitis.He said some people get it after a bad cold or flu.

This meant I had to stay out of work for more time and when I got back to work I got a warning even though I had medical certs! I was worried about a relapse so I didnt train until I was sure I was clear of all sickness.

Then all of a sudden, I remembered that I had applied and got in to the Ballycotton 10 a while back! :eek: I really had forgotten about it with every thing going on.I had only a week to prepare and did two runs of 6.5 Miles and 7.6 Miles.That was all I could do so off I went to do it for the first time ever!

I went down early and parked and just waited in car. Usually my wife would come along but the baby is too small yet. This made things worse and boring as I waited around.Finally I walked to the start and went way down the back! Next thing you know, its started and I am off!

I really enjoyed the race and felt good but I could tell I had not much running in the legs in the past while. I kept a steady pace and from the stats on precision timing website I see I passed over a 100 people from the 5 mile mark to the end! I could see that I kept my steady pace through the race so I am very happy with that! It shows people start too far forward as well!!

I ended up with a time of around 1:35 so I am pleased with it! I didn't have much preparation but did very well for me! My legs are tired since then and I will go back running on thursday. I am not going to run a mile every day like I had planned but I will definitely try to do it most days if I can.I realise that i should have stopped running when i felt sick because its not a job. I want to run because I want to and not because I have to! Even though I say that,i think I will more or less run at least a mile every day though.It does help concentrate my mind!

Run Distance this year - 59 Miles / 95 Km

(Hopefully will get to cycle soon!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement