Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC build help (~€600)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Help! I changed the boot config to AHCI and now the computer won't boot up. This was a few days after installing windows. Can you help but it back to normal?

I stupidly changed it to AHCI in the boot screen, is there a way i can install the AHCI drivers via a usb stick? or even just get it back to IDE so it'll boot up? thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Yeah, you can't just change it to AHCI mode after windows is installed.

Does changing it back to IDE not work?

Normally to get it to AHCI, you have to do a registry change and install the drivers. I'll have a look around to see if I can find a guide. One solution might be to do a startup repair. Keep hitting F8 just before windows starts booting to get the windows menu.

Edit: Here's the registry change that you need to make.
    http://www.windows7news.com/2010/05/25/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-7/

I can't get into windows at all - stuck at booting up. The boot option used to have an IDE option but after changing it to AHCI it has gone; it's just
    AHCI: P5 :M4-blahblah (SSD)
    UEFI:SanDisk Cruzer (my USB flashy)
    Disabled

Do u think if I disabled, the IDE would be available again? Also do u think i could install the AHCI drivers from a USB?

Statup repair only asks me to restore windows - i try to - and no dice, doesn't work. Lemme know if I can do this; or just cut my losses and re-install windows!

Well you'd really want to be in windows to install the AHCI drivers. Windows has AHCI drivers anyway IIRC, it just doesn't always know that it's supposed to use them!

Have a good look around the BIOS - there might be something else relying on it (you can discard changes if you need to). Yeah, try disabling all the drives, rebooting and then seeing if IDE is there.

Actually, I think startup repair might be on the install disc... I look it up to check.

--

Edit: Yeah, startup repair is actually on the install disc. I think you can make registry changes from the command prompt. You can get to the command prompt from the same menu as the startup repair.

--

Edit 2:

Leave it as AHCI and try this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaFeELqEJ1Y

If windows can't fix it itself, I'll look up to see if I can find commands for changing the registry.
    --

startup repair on the windows or motherboard disc?

also what do u think of "load UEFI defaults" for all setup questions? Worth a try or will i banjax everything!

• Advertisement

Well... yeah that should work alright. Good thinking batman. It will just restore to the defaults. If you haven't actually changed anything like overclocking then there's no harm in doing so.

Startup repair is on the windows install disc BTW. But don't install over your existing copy of windows!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You could try just loading defaults in BIOS, should reset the controller to IDE for you that way.

OH THANK GOD! Yes that did it. Restarted and it boots again just to be safe!

THANK YOU so much! Mono Bueller, you're my hero! :)

edit : cheers Sereph bro, crisis averted. Now Gunshy. Will try doing it properly in a few days lol.

Actually guys, just bought a Xbox 360 wireless adapter for PC, you guys know if there's something special i gotta do to get it working? Downloaded the driver of the MS website and trying to sync the controller, no dice! any ideas?

You figured it out the solution yourself, not me!
    It's well worth switching to AHCI to get the best out of your drive. Just do the drivers and registry change first - but BIOS/UEFI with disappearing options could be something to watch out for.

I've never used an xbox controller with a PC but sometimes uninstalling devices in the device manager and rebooting gets them to work again. Or just plain reinstalling the drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Bejesus, just leave you here for few hours and world goes down :).

Hey guys, I need to buy some cable ties and re-apply thermal paste (i ruined it a bit pulling the heatsink on and off and so i can't clock the 2500k) - where around dublin city centre is best to get it? Also some cold cathode tubes maybe! Any brands you'd recommend?

The only place I would expect to find it - maplins.

Brand wise... Feck knows m8, I would not expect to see big difference between them.

I haven't heard of bad quality paste, but I did heard about ****y applying methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Yeah skyrim is must buy now with the advent of the content creator and mods :D Be sure to pick up the HD texture pack (for free) as well :D

Dont bother with the textures on Steam, the HD ones by NebuLa blow them away.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=607

Applying the paste is the most of the job. MX4 is what most people go for now, I think but memoryc have AS5 if you're willing to wait a few days.
    http://www.memoryc.com/pccomponents/coolingproducts/articsilver5thermalcompound35g.html

Edit: Peats have AS5 and coolermaster thermal compound. The AS5 is out of stock but you could ask in their shop if they have the coolermaster. Don't know what kind of quality that is.
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v2.cgi?type=product&id=29185
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v2.cgi?type=product&id=7831

Hey guys, are wireless keyboards & mice expensive? Do they last long? Nothing too flashy. Recommend off amazon, ebay or in stores?

My last three mice have been wireless, and they're great. I was using an MX Revolution, I'm now using a Performance MX. I'm so used to the shape at this point, I just don't find anything else comfortable.

As for keyboards, that's one thing I still tend to like wired. I mean you can get wireless ones, and I'm sure they're fine, but 95% of keyboards are still wired, so you get more, and higher quality, options if you stick to that.

Well I got for my old pc a wireless k+m, because it is connected to telly now.

I got Microsoft wireless desktop for 20eu in sound store and it is very nice quality thing.

Though if you are gamer, then I recomend wired mouses. Any wireless mouse I had, there would be some random **** up. ( very rare ). Then if you want very accurate wireless mouse then get ready to spend alot m8.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Nibs05 wrote: »
    Lidl/Aldi stuff is usually dirt but am looking for wireless of both.

Anyone ever buy these before?

• Advertisement

this looks ideal - i'd be using it just for TV purposes. Is it decent quality, i'd want to last at least a few years!

Also, what's the best thermal paste/stuff for the i5 2500k? I was in maplins today and they had expensive crystal stuff for €16, thermal strips, general paste etc? I'll need it for clocking, worn off a bit when putting the pc together but core temps are ok right now but not when clocking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Lidl/Aldi stuff is usually dirt but am looking for wireless of both.

Anyone ever buy these before?
    I got an Aldi PC 5 years ago. I'm not mad on the feel of the keyboard, but after a week or two on it you get used to it. TBH I got used to the Aldi keyboard much quicker than my laptops one, I've been using my laptop since Christmas and I'm still not used to it's keyboard. I don't know the going rate for a wireless K&M but if €20 is a good price I'd buy it.

One thing I love is the spinny audio volume thing, it's a class way to do it and I wish more keyboards had it :)

The easiest thermal paste to use is MX-4 (well any of the MXs really, but 4 performs the best). It has no cure time, and never expires.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Arctic-Cooling-MX-4-Thermal-Compound-paste-4g-Retail-/130645423943?pt=Computing_ComputerComponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR&hash=item1e6b12f747

That probably works out at about €10-12. Expensive, but I can't find anywhere cheaper after a quick Google.

Nothing's up, I just wanted to say thanks again for everyone who helped me get this beast of a pc!

So thank you Jaafa, infowars, Tij da feen, partyatmygaff, Completionist, greenheart, Markd250 Trevor451, _AVALANCHE_, Fluffy88, glynf, Nibs05 and kearneybobs

and a special thank you to Eboggles, Serephucus, ShadowHearth, Monotype, cherryghost, and deconduo, you guys had to suffer the most with my quibbles! As a console gamer dipping his toes into PCs, i was blown away by the support :)

I'm really happy with it and enjoy it, every time it boots up around 25 seconds or someone new sees it and marks out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭infowars.com

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Nothing's up, I just wanted to say thanks again for everyone who helped me get this beast of a pc!

So thank you Jaafa, infowars, Tij da feen, partyatmygaff, Completionist, greenheart, Markd250 Trevor451, _AVALANCHE_, Fluffy88, glynf, Nibs05 and kearneybobs

and a special thank you to Eboggles, Serephucus, ShadowHearth, Monotype, cherryghost, and deconduo, you guys had to suffer the most with my quibbles! As a console gamer dipping his toes into PCs, i was blown away by the support :)

I'm really happy with it and enjoy it, every time it boots up around 25 seconds or someone new sees it and marks out!
    good stuff get sniper ghost warrior n have a game :)

Hey guys, quick Q, the HDMI ports of the monitor and graphics card stopped working so sent it in to Just in Time via HWVS.de for repairs. So at the moment I'm using mobo ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 and plugging it into my panasonic HDTV.

However I can only get up to 1280x1024 resolution which is 4:3 and cuts off the outer frame of the pic something fierce. The TV does 1080p and the HDMI cable does 1080p (on the WD player). I installed a 'generic PnP monitor on standard VGA Graphics Adapter' after asking win7 to look for a video driver for me. Still at 1280x1024. I imagine I need a specific mobo driver.

Could someone tell me what the right driver on the page is?
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=Download&os=Win764&Model=Z68%20Pro3%20Gen3

Or if I can find it on another page? I'm on Win7 64bit. Cheers

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Hey guys, quick Q, the HDMI ports of the monitor and graphics card stopped working so sent it in to Just in Time via HWVS.de for repairs. So at the moment I'm using mobo ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 and plugging it into my panasonic HDTV.

However I can only get up to 1280x1024 resolution which is 4:3 and cuts off the outer frame of the pic something fierce. The TV does 1080p and the HDMI cable does 1080p (on the WD player). I installed a 'generic PnP monitor on standard VGA Graphics Adapter' after asking win7 to look for a video driver for me. Still at 1280x1024. I imagine I need a specific mobo driver.

Could someone tell me what the right driver on the page is?
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=Download&os=Win764&Model=Z68%20Pro3%20Gen3

Or if I can find it on another page? I'm on Win7 64bit. Cheers

Second from the bottom in the drivers section. VGA driver.

LEGEND! Back in proper hd :)

Hey dudes! Have a quick query for ya. I just got my AMD Radeon 6870 graphics card back (I needed to get the HDMI port repaired) and I'm back in business playing Tomb Raider (Hooray! - lording the resolution over my console friends :pac:)

Anywoo, I have the graphics card outputting to my monitor (DVI) and TV (HDMI) I noticed a bit of screen tearing and that the driver for my TV is "generic pnp monitor". I went to AMD's site to get their drivers and installed the Catalyst Control Center. Although I've sorted the image not filling the screen, I haven't sorted the screen tearing. Any ideas? Here's my desktop... it's quite large so i'll leave it as a link.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4147/radeoni.jpg

Also would turning off "tressfx" or "tessellation" or "v-sync" help the screen tearing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Screen tearing is mainly caused by the card rendering a higher frame rate than the screen can handle. Most monitors and tv's these days are 60hz meaning they can do a maximum of 60 frames per second. Turning on v-sync should stop the problem but has it's own issues if you are dropping below 60fps.

That's 1 thing virtu mvp is good for.

Advertisement