Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things will come to those who wait...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

4.27 for the 1500m at the leinsters today, 7th out of ten I think and a 4 second PB. Felt great during the race and it actually felt slower, I thought a PB was gone so the time was a nice surprise. Will do a longer report tomorrow maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Very well done on the PB, your flying lately.

Monday: 39 mins recovery

Very easy recovery run, felt good on this although the calf was tight as it usually is after wearing the spikes.

Tuesday: 47 mins easy

Another easy run, calf still a bit tight on this and I spent a good while afterwards trying to iron it out on the foam roller. Felt good on the run, I've abandoned my Garmin but I know where the mile markers roughly are and easy pace seems to be about 7.20 a mile at the moment.

Wednesday: 6 miles w/3x1 mile off 90 secs rec

5.56, 5.55, 5.58

I have half an eye on a 1500m time trial tomorrow night so didn't want to do anything too severe tonight. The lads were doing 3x1 mile/1x2 mile so I said I would jump in on the first three reps to get a bit of endurance work done. Although the splits weren't overly fast I felt like I was working hard, particularly one the last one. Although I've been training well recently I've definitely sacrificed a bit of endurance doing this 1500m stuff. I'm not particularly worried as I have no plans to race anything longer than a 3k in the next while, but it is something that will become a factor later in the summer.

Will see how to body feels tomorrow before deciding on the time trial in Drogheda. It is possible to say that it might be too much after the race on Sunday and the light session tonight but I'm away at a wedding in the west on Friday and Saturday so there will be no training which will give the body some time to recover. Also with the shorter distances it is possible to get away with racing a little more often (within reason). Will see what the day brings!

Thursday: 4.5 miles with 1500m

Ran 4.34 for the 1500m tonight. A very different race than Sunday and the field of 15 or so went out very slow with me in the unusual position of leading the field out with another guy. The pace was very slow and we hit 400m in 76 and 800m in 2.32 with me still in the lead. I felt like I was jogging at this stage and made a bit of a tactical error. I wanted to push on and run away from the field but I was too scared and instead sat with the group. With 400m to go one guy went flying by me and I tried to go with him, but after 200m the legs were tying up and he got away. I lost another place with 100m to go and had to settle for third. Seven seconds of my new PB but not a bad time of such a slow start and I finished with a 65 second last lap.

I don't like races like this that come down to who can run the best last lap, I prefer a good honest pace throughout but it was good fun racing the guys and I learnt a few tactical lessons. The legs were tired after Sunday and the session last night. Luckily I am away at a wedding for the weekend so I'm going to take a few days off and treat the rest of the week as a down week.(translation: drink lots of beer! :pac:)

Better update this before I forget!

Friday/Saturday: Off

Over in the west for a wedding so took a few days off and did some light drinking and some fairly heavy eating!

Sunday: 44 mins easy

An easy run after the long drive home to punish myself for the excesses of the weekend. Felt pretty good.

Monday: Off

Wanted to get back into the normal routine so took this day off as I usually do.

Tuesday: 49 mins steady

Covered about 7 miles on this, starting off at what felt like 7.30 pace and finishing around 6.50. Got caught in the unholiest of thunderstorms halfway through this run, I've never run in rain like it. Raindrops the size of golf balls and I was like a drowned rat when I got home.

Wednesday: Session 12x400m @ 3k pace off 60 rec

Some 3k pace stuff was on the cards tonight. I like sessions like this as the reps are reasonably manageable and the recovery is short enough to make it a little challenging. Gorgeous evening at the track and was great to have a company for the session. We took turns taking two reps each and hit a good few 80's, a few 79's and finished with a 77. It's amazing how easy this pace feels when you get used to banging out 71/72's. This would indicate about 9.50/55 pace for a 3k which may seem a little soft for my 4.27 1500m PB but I am definitely at the speed end of the spectrum as opposed to endurance so I will always fair better in shorter races. Nice easy cool down to take us over 6 miles for the session.

So training is going well at the moment I feel. The only issue is a niggle I've been carrying for a few weeks now. I have some pain in my lower calf muscle (soleus), on the inside. It has been on and off for the last few weeks and while it's never bad enough that I can't run on, it has flared up now and again and has been a bit more tender than usual since yesterday. Will need to monitor it, at the moment I am just icing and trying to keep it loose but if it continues like this I might have to look at taking time off to let it heal. Hope it doesn't come to that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

pconn062 wrote: »
    So training is going well at the moment I feel. The only issue is a niggle I've been carrying for a few weeks now. I have some pain in my lower calf muscle (soleus), on the inside. It has been on and off for the last few weeks and while it's never bad enough that I can't run on, it has flared up now and again and has been a bit more tender than usual since yesterday. Will need to monitor it, at the moment I am just icing and trying to keep it loose but if it continues like this I might have to look at taking time off to let it heal. Hope it doesn't come to that!

Do you get a regular sports massage?

It's not something I have done before this year but would especially recommend it for anyone doing faster stuff to manage the niggles.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Do you get a regular sports massage?

It's not something I have done before this year but would especially recommend it for anyone doing faster stuff to manage the niggles.

Hi DL, yeah I get a massage about once every two weeks. It does help but I think I would need one a week but would need to rob a bank to afford it! Have one booked for next Monday. Well done on the 400m last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I remember you saying awhile back that you were introducing strength work into your training routine. Just wondering have you kept this up? Just not noticing any mention of it in your log, though maybe you don't log it.

It really is of utmost importance if you want to get a long run clan bill of health. Strong legs are needed for consistent hard sessions. Otherwise you'll continue to be battling niggles and injuries, and all the frustrations that go with that.

A lot of middle to long distance runners at our type of level think of this stuff as not important, inconvenient, not real training. The mindset of a sprinter would help when it comes to this thing IMO. Strength work is just as important as logging miles.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I remember you saying awhile back that you were introducing strength work into your training routine. Just wondering have you kept this up? Just not noticing any mention of it in your log, though maybe you don't log it.

It really is of utmost importance if you want to get a long run clan bill of health. Strong legs are needed for consistent hard sessions. Otherwise you'll continue to be battling niggles and injuries, and all the frustrations that go with that.

A lot of middle to long distance runners at our type of level think of this stuff as not important, inconvenient, not real training. The mindset of a sprinter would help when it comes to this thing IMO. Strength work is just as important as logging miles.

Yeah I agree with your post. I am doing strength training, several times a week, I just don't log it here as it makes for incredibly boring reading! I have a lower leg programme with particular emphasis on balance and strength. Not sure if it's helping the niggles though!

Hmmm, better update this before I forget all these runs!

Thursday: 49 mins very easy

A member of our club was getting married so a big group of us met at the clubrooms at 8am to give him a send off, his last run as a single man! Pace was very easy and perfect to ease the legs out from the night before. Left shin sore throughout the run though.

Friday: 47 mins easy

Can't remember anything about this.

Saturday: 6.5 miles with tempo

It was time for another tempo run and I did this on my own as I think it is beneficial for me to do runs like this solo to help strengthen the mind. Did this on grass in one of my regular haunts, the lap is slightly over a kilometer long so I was aiming for 5 laps which would hopefully give me over twenty minutes of "work". I had no Garmin but I knew where the kilometer marks where and I was knocking out 3.54/55 kilometers, and hit 5k in 19.30 or so. Finished the five laps with 20.30 on the clock, so a good workout. I'm happy with the pace on this considering I was running on grass, alone, in the hottest part of the day, and it was hot! Would hope to be hitting 3.50 k's if I was doing this on the track.

Sunday: 78 mins easy in Oldbridge

Long run with my brother. This was a tough slog and it took us until towards the end of the run to figure out why. We were running 7.20 a mile, which would be fine on the road but on a very warm morning on a hilly, cross country course it was a bit too much like hard work. Ran the route of the new Oldbridge 5k which is starting on Saturday, going to a lovely but slightly tough run. Mostly on grass and will make good cross country training in a few months. Shin was a little tender on both of these runs.

Monday: Off/Massage

Tuesday: 48 mins easy

Absolutely bloody roasting out there, and I headed back up to the grass again where at least I could get some shade from the trees that surround the path/trail. Felt good despite the heat and no problems from the shin.

Session planned for tomorrow and then possibly a mile race on Saturday. Also I think there is a 1500m at the Graded Meet next Wednesday si that will be on the cards too all going well.

• Advertisement

Wednesday: Session 3x(200m, 300m, 300m) @ 800m pace, 45 secs rec between reps, 4 mins between sets

Splits: (33, 50, 50), (32, 49, 50), (33, 52, 53)

This was an absolute pig of a session. I was dreading it all day, especially with the high temperatures. I find 800m work very difficult, especially these sessions with short recovery between the reps. Had company for most of it with my brother doing the 200m and the 2nd 300m in every set only, as he was racing last night. I was pretty busted after the 1st set but felt OK after the 4 mins recovery. However by the first 300m of the second set I was really struggling but managed to finish the set out with decent splits. The last set was possibly the toughest bit of a session I've ever done. The 200m was on pace but the legs died on me during the 300m and on the last rep the lactic hit after 50m and I was swimming in it by the end. Took ten minutes after this before I was fit to even change out of my flats and cool down, really gave it everything. Happy enough with the session, even though the last 2 300m were slower than intended, the effort was still right.

A few easy days now and I will do another session on Saturday, hopefully some 1500m work, hope it cools down a bit before then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Wednesday: Session 3x(200m, 300m, 300m) @ 800m pace, 45 secs rec between reps, 4 mins between sets

Splits: (33, 50, 50), (32, 49, 50), (33, 52, 53)

This was an absolute pig of a session. I was dreading it all day, especially with the high temperatures. I find 800m work very difficult, especially these sessions with short recovery between the reps. Had company for most of it with my brother doing the 200m and the 2nd 300m in every set only, as he was racing last night. I was pretty busted after the 1st set but felt OK after the 4 mins recovery. However by the first 300m of the second set I was really struggling but managed to finish the set out with decent splits. The last set was possibly the toughest bit of a session I've ever done. The 200m was on pace but the legs died on me during the 300m and on the last rep the lactic hit after 50m and I was swimming in it by the end. Took ten minutes after this before I was fit to even change out of my flats and cool down, really gave it everything. Happy enough with the session, even though the last 2 300m were slower than intended, the effort was still right.

A few easy days now and I will do another session on Saturday, hopefully some 1500m work, hope it cools down a bit before then!

Good stuff! That's a decent amount of volume for an 800 session - it's a nice variation on 2 (or 3) x4x200@800 pace with 30s between reps and 5 mins between sets.

1500 pace always seems easier to dial in than 800 pace in training (probably because I've been doing mostly 1500 pace sessions). A couple of seconds too slow on 800 pace and the session's a bit wasted and a couple of seconds too fast, and you're done!

Sacksian wrote: »
    Good stuff! That's a decent amount of volume for an 800 session - it's a nice variation on 2 (or 3) x4x200@800 pace with 30s between reps and 5 mins between sets.

1500 pace always seems easier to dial in than 800 pace in training (probably because I've been doing mostly 1500 pace sessions). A couple of seconds too slow on 800 pace and the session's a bit wasted and a couple of seconds too fast, and you're done!

Thanks Sacksian, that's as much volume as I'm planning on putting in with regards to 800m work. For the next 800m session I'm planning less volume with faster reps and longer recovery. Was toture last night though in that heat! How's your own training going, are you running 1500m at GM next week?

Thursday: 49 mins recovery

Easy recovery run taking in some lovely scenery down along the coast.

Friday: 10k in 46 mins

Had to drop my girlfriend to get her car fixed so I let her drive the 10k home and I ran. Lovely morning and it's not often I have my run done before 9am!

Saturday: 2x(4x400m) @ 1500m, 1 min between reps, 5 mins between sets

Splits: (74, 70, 72, 73), (73, 72, 72, 72) 72 second average

Hmmm not sure what to make of this, the pace was right in the end but it felt harder than I was expecting. The pacing in the first set was all over the place, mostly due to the really strong swirling wind which meant trying to balance the pace was difficult. The 2nd set was much more even but the brother kicked on for the last rep and ran a 70 and I just could not follow him, the legs were zapped. So probably a good session but just a little concerning that the legs were so dead at the end, and to be honest I thought I might be able to hit 71's. But in hindsight the conditions were pretty poor, very windy and warm and the legs still had a lot of tiredness after the 800m session on Wednesday. Running a 1500m at the Graded Meet next week so that will tell me more! Long run tomorrow.

Sunday: 11 miles @ 7.36 pace

Lovely long run this morning out in Oldbridge on the grass, started off with just me and the brother but after half a lap we bumped into the coach and a few of the lads so we had company for most of this and the miles flew by. Me and my brother were laughing as we were the only two in the group who hadn't (or come close to) breaking 15 minutes for 5k! :o Luckily they were taking it easy today! A good solid week, two good sessions and a decent long run. The body is feeling a little tender in a few places but I'm managing it as best as possible. Race on Wednesday which I'm looking forward to, head to head race with the brother, family pride is at stake!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 BOSWOLLOX

Hi pconn. Might see you wednesday. Will look out for Dunleer singlet. I'll be wearing green and blue liffey valley. Not sure whether to go for grade B or C for 1500 but could be a good battle if I'm in your race. I realise from one of your past posts that we already had a good fight in the first graded meet without realising it then. See you soon man

Tuesday: 48 mins easy w/4 strides

Easy run on the grass today, very warm and humid but I felt good during this and was tipping along nicely by the end.

Strides were as follows:

98.24 meters @ 4.52 pace per mile, cadence rate of 184 per minute, HR 162 avg, vertical oscillation... :pac:

I spent a few hours yesterday morning doing a bit of rare manual labour that involved stooping and picking things off the ground. Well, to say that I am crippled today is an understatement, I have pain in muscles in the back of my leg that I didn't even know existed! It was OK when I was running when they warmed up but I'm entered to run a 1500m tomorrow night so I hope I feel much better by tomorrow night or it will a hobble rather than a run. Can't let the bro beat me, will never hear the end of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Strides were as follows:

98.24 meters @ 4.52 pace per mile, cadence rate of 184 per minute, HR 162 avg, vertical oscillation... :pac:

:pac: :pac:

Aaaaarrrrrgh! :mad::mad:

Disaster of an evening. Headed up to Tallaght for the Graded Meet in plenty of time but there was an accident on the M50 just before junction 7. Spent half an hour going nowhere, literally moved about 100m in 30 minutes. The situation was not improving so I eventually got out at junction 7 and turned for home. Was really pissed off so decided to hit the track in Drogheda where the club were training. I decided not to waste the evening and said I would attempt a 1500m time trial, asked one of the guys in the club to pace me for a lap or two. I asked for 72's which I thought would be a fair effort.
    Pacing was perfect and we hit 72 for 400m and 2.24 for 800m. He dropped out after 900m and I was on my own. Was really starting to suffer and it was hard to motivate myself to dig deep with no-one to chase. With 300m to go I was fried, my pacer jumped back in with 200m to go and ran 72 pace but I couldn't keep up with him, legs were dead. Finished in an average 4.33 with a pretty awful 57 last 300m. A good effort and glad to get something out of the evening, but not a great time and disappointed that I missed the race.

I'm a little concerned with my finishing 200-300m from the last few sessions and tonight's time trial, I seem to run out of gas a little in that final section so that is something I need to work on over the next few weeks (speed endurance is it?) I forgot I am away this weekend so won't get a session in but hope to get my runs in anyway. I have three more weeks until what is supposed to be my big race of the season and I need to get some decent training in to try and get the 1500m time down close to 4.20.

The only good point about tonight was that my brother made it to the race and got a big PB, sneaking under 4.30 for the first time knocking 8 seconds off his PB.

Friday: 49 mins easy

Saturday: 45 mins easy

Sunday: 43 mins steady

Down in Bantry at the West Cork Chamber Music Festival since Friday, I have a new work being performed this week at the festival so had to attend rehearsals and make sure it will be performed satisfactorily, stressful but very rewarding. Beautiful part of the country and got a nice hilly run in on Saturday taking in some views of Bantry Bay and the adjoining areas. Then today after a long drive home I did a run to my parents house, started slow with a 7.50 mile and finished with a 6.35 mile. Felt good although the legs are feeling a bit tender.

Have a big week planned this week, hoping to do a session on Wednesday and Saturday and might try and squeeze in an 800m race on Thursday as well if the conditions are anyway OK. Might do the new Oldbridge parkrun next weekend and treat it like a tempo run, it's run over a tough cross country route so should be a good workout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

How did ecoli manage to talk you into this? :eek:
    Enjoy the coke and hookers, you poor fool :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

Might do the new Oldbridge parkrun next weekend and treat it like a tempo run, it's run over a tough cross country route so should be a good workout.[/QUOTE]

Oldbridge will really suit you track fairies. Are you allowed to do strides for a cross country race given it is not track race for elite middle distance runners. Do I have to wear spikes for our showdown. They are still covered in muck from the CC season. ycy.

RayCun wrote: »
    How did ecoli manage to talk you into this? :eek:
    Enjoy the coke and hookers, you poor fool :pac:

Ha, I'm still not sure, there was a lot of smoke and mirrors involved and wild promises of expensive gifts!
    NiallG4 wrote: »

Oldbridge will really suit you track fairies. Are you allowed to do strides for a cross country race given it is not track race for elite middle distance runners. Do I have to wear spikes for our showdown. They are still covered in muck from the CC season. ycy.

Yeah you should buy a pair of middle distance pikes if you want any chance at all! There are track races in Drogheda on Thursday if you fancy a warm up race? Just clean the muck off your spikes before you show up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Are we still allowed to call you a track fairy?

(*Hides*)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Are we still allowed to call you a track fairy?

(*Hides*)

BANNED :mad:

Only as long as I'm still allowed to call you a hobby jogger!

Tuesday: 49 mins easy/steady

Had a meeting at the club so squeezed this in beforehand, still very warm when I was doing this and I ran over a very hilly route. The pace was on the fast side of easy.

Wednesday:

Session: 4x1k, 4x150m

Splits: 3.34, 3.32, 3.32, 3.32

Did a light enough session tonight as I have an 800m race planned for tomorrow so didn't want to overdo it. Took 90 secs between each one, was very windy at the track so I'd say without the wind they would have been in the 3.27/28 range which seems about right. Felt good doing these and never had to push too hard. The 150's afterwards were just to get the legs turning over a bit in anticipation of the faster pace tomorrow night.

Would like to break 2.10 tomorrow night but will totally depend on the conditions, if the wind is as bad as tonight I'll give the race a miss. I have a niggle since Saturday which is annoying me a little bit, I'm not even going to try and describe where it is, lets just say it's in a "personal area". It's sore for the first few minutes of the run but goes away when I get warmed up. Slightly concerned that it is lingering around this long so might have to get the physio to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Tuesday: 49 mins easy/steady

Had a meeting at the club so squeezed this in beforehand, still very warm when I was doing this and I ran over a very hilly route. The pace was on the fast side of easy.

Wednesday:

Session: 4x1k, 4x150m

Splits: 3.34, 3.32, 3.32, 3.32

Did a light enough session tonight as I have an 800m race planned for tomorrow so didn't want to overdo it. Took 90 secs between each one, was very windy at the track so I'd say without the wind they would have been in the 3.27/28 range which seems about right. Felt good doing these and never had to push too hard. The 150's afterwards were just to get the legs turning over a bit in anticipation of the faster pace tomorrow night.

Would like to break 2.10 tomorrow night but will totally depend on the conditions, if the wind is as bad as tonight I'll give the race a miss. I have a niggle since Saturday which is annoying me a little bit, I'm not even going to try and describe where it is, lets just say it's in a "personal area". It's sore for the first few minutes of the run but goes away when I get warmed up. Slightly concerned that it is lingering around this long so might have to get the physio to look at it.

Have you tried to massage it?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Can you show us on the doll where it hurts?

Have you tried to massage it?

I tried getting the girlfriend to do it but she was having none of it! ;)
    cianc wrote: »
    Can you show us on the doll where it hurts?

I might have to do that to explain it to the physio!

Not there, you children!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done on the new position, great appointment(arse licking)!!

Advertisement