Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is "The Green Man" a sexist pig?

Options
  • 30-12-2011 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭

Saw this at lunch time and thought it was quite funny

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2080258/Cross-green-figure-The-bizarre-politically-correct-instruction-pedestrian-crossing-sign.html?ITO=1490
    It is the symbol that has helped us cross the road for decades - a striding green man.
    But for one council the term appears to be a little too gender-specific.
    Lincolnshire County Council is introducing new signs at pelican crossings in Boston telling pedestrians to 'cross with the green figure' in a move branded politically correct.

Boston borough councillor Ossy Snell said: 'It seems a little bit like it’s seen as sexist. Women might think men are controlling if a green man tells them to cross the road.

So AH users, any bizarre examples of political correctness encroaching on common sense in your own lives?

Obviously no reasonable person disputes genuine issues of equality like equal pay between the sexes and so on, but I do think some attempts at political correctness are just a daft waste of time by people who should have more important things to worry about.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Political correctness gone mad? Surely you mean political correctness psychologically challenged?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

theres no traffic lights in the kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Then if it's given a skirt, it's sexist.

If it's given a bust to show it has a womanly shape, it's objectivisation of women too which is sexist.

Can't win.

I vote we all get the East German green man. His coolness will settle the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Yes, I have video evidence:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Iang87 wrote: »
    theres no traffic lights in the kitchen

If only they knew their place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Some people have far too much free f*cking time on their hands....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Who says it's a man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

phasers wrote: »
    Who says it's a man?

A woman could never summons you to cross the road with such forceful command.

I would replace the beeper with a booming voice saying "Cross The Road, bitches", much in the style of "Luggage Doors Operate".

Also the sign that says 'wait for green man'

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Who says it's a man?

Everyone :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I heard you can't refer to your computer by its traditional name - apparently it's not PC anymore.

• Advertisement

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Everyone :p
    Typical of the manocentric maleocracy

I grew up calling it a green person. Also Ladybirds are personbirds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Who says it's a man?

I always thought it was Sinead O'Connor.

(c) 1991

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

It isn't a man. It's a figure, an icon ...:rolleyes:

This is not "political correctness", just more precise use of language.

When will the Daily Hatemail stop looking for anything, anything, anything that suits its right-wing, racist, xenophobic, jingoistic, misogynistic and just plain dinosauren stupid agenda to whine about?:)

Kind of like this sign: http://salemcountyfair.com/graphics/600px-No_dogs_svg.png

I was recently walking with my (white) dog in a place where they had a sign like it. A rather snooty old cow said to me: "Don't you understand what that sign says?" I replied: "Yes, no black dogs. Shame on you for your racism!":cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I always thought it was Sinead O'Connor.

So now we cross when the green Sinead O'Connor tells us to??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Can they change Mother Nature to Parent Nature while they're at it? :rolleyes:

Who says it's a man?
    Typical of the manocentric maleocracy

I grew up calling it a green person. Also Ladybirds are personbirds.

They may be sick of their colour being referenced too, had you considered that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    I love the Daily Mail for the same reason I love watching politicians. You have to know what to laugh at and what to take seriously. Like everything else in the Mail, this is not in the latter camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

So some gimp says it should be referred to as the green person (if the story is true) and people will rightly ignore them and nothing will happen to them and life will go on.
    All this non story is designed to do is get the "Oh look, political correctness gone maaaaaad" brigade foaming at the gash. Look where it's published.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

number10a wrote: »
    Then if it's given a skirt, it's sexist.

If it's given a bust to show it has a womanly shape, it's objectivisation of women too which is sexist.

Or, if they take on the "Walk, Don't Walk" signs from the US, there'll be people in wheelchairs complaining... :pac:

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    So some gimp says it should be referred to as the green person (if the story is true) and people will rightly ignore them and nothing will happen to them and life will go on.
    All this non story is designed to do is get the "Oh look, political correctness gone maaaaaad" brigade foaming at the gash. Look where it's published.

:pac:
    Calm down luv, :cool:

lol@foaming at the gash

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Simple solution, those who object, shouldn't cross the road

• Registered Users Posts: 6 1742

What about a manhole cover - is that going to be renamed to a personhole cover......

And a blackboard is now a chalkboard I believe (blackboard was considered a racist term)

And what about mankind....

Banaltra (the irish word I learned for nurse) is now altra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Why does the green man always get the 'go' job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

1742 wrote: »
    What about a manhole cover - is that going to be renamed to a personhole cover......

And a blackboard is now a chalkboard I believe (blackboard was considered a racist term)

Apparently most of those were introduced - apparently. Most people ignore them though and carry on just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7643136.stm

It could be worse, apparently mens and womens toilets in Manchester University were "genderist". See the above link for an interview with the Welfare officer of MUSU and how she justifies the change!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

1742 wrote: »

Stop looking for things to complain about.

Most people don't give a f*ck.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    They may be sick of their colour being referenced too, had you considered that?
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7643136.stm

It could be worse, apparently mens and womens toilets in Manchester University were "genderist". See the above link for an interview with the Welfare officer of MUSU and how she justifies the change!

The guy doing the report is a tremendous tool. He tried to rile up the welfare officer at the end and all, charming.

That is utterly piss-poor journalism.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

number10a wrote: »
    I vote we all get the East German green man. His coolness will settle the argument.
    A well endowed green man.

Advertisement