Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old Capitol Cinema

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

The laneway to the left of burger king (as you look at it) is mutton lane, Meat Market lane is where that ecigarette? place is. And market market parade is the interior entrance on that Street, between here's health and claires.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Had a look as I was passing today I do not think there is a lane right next to bk,there is a lane about 50ft further down by the smoke store which id say was the way in to the oyster.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

So it's saying on the city council planning website that "conditional" planning has been decided. I wonder what the conditions are. I think I'm reading it correctly - haven't seen it pop up on the news yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Something must be happening as the 'Pound Shop' on Patrick Street has "Closing Down Sale" across the windows.

Saw that and also the old flor griffin place on lavitts quay has modern signs gone up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭thomil

Something must be happening as the 'Pound Shop' on Patrick Street has "Closing Down Sale" across the windows.

That's probably because the Capitol Development has just been given the green light by city council:

https://twitter.com/EoinBearla/status/626073069178781696

Barring any appeals, things should start moving within the next few months.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

thomil wrote: »
    That's probably because the Capitol Development has just been given the green light by city council:

https://twitter.com/EoinBearla/status/626073069178781696

Barring any appeals, things should start moving within the next few months.

Doubt if there'll be any appeals, from the extra info they submitted to the council they're going working with independent engineers appointed to the neighbouring businesses so it looks like they're making sure to keep them happy.

This will be great for the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Yipee delighted to see this news. heres to no majors hickups well overdue and the sooner it starts the better

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

moyners wrote: »
    Doubt if there'll be any appeals, from the extra info they submitted to the council they're going working with independent engineers appointed to the neighbouring businesses so it looks like they're making sure to keep them happy.

This will be great for the city centre

There always someone who appeals these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

To make an appeal at this stage in the process, you need to have made a submission at City Council level. So there is a drastically reduced pool of people/organisations who can choose to appeal now.
    This is a great decision and development for Cork city centre. Should really kick that end of Patrick Street and Grand Parade into gear.

• Advertisement

To make an appeal at this stage in the process, you need to have made a submission at City Council level. So there is a drastically reduced pool of people/organisations who can choose to appeal now.
    This is a great decision and development for Cork city centre. Should really kick that end of Patrick Street and Grand Parade into gear.

I just had a look at the submissions and I see An Taisce made a 5 page submission where they said they wanted most of the facades on Grand Parade (besides the modern Capitol building) and Patricks Street kept.

I wouldn't be surprised if they appealed knowing them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Official news report from RTE

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0729/717874-cork-capitol-colliers/

I guess it's as significant a development as Opera Lane. Does 100 retail jobs seem rather small? How many shops are being planned as part of the new development....I would have expected more of a headcount across all the shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

I just had a look at the submissions and I see An Taisce made a 5 page submission where they said they wanted most of the facades on Grand Parade (besides the modern Capitol building) and Patricks Street kept.

I wouldn't be surprised if they appealed knowing them :(
    An Taisce have always struck me as quite a responsible organisation. They've made their contribution. I imagine they'll see which way the wind is blowing and that will be that.

The plan is only for one anchor store, house of fraser, is the one I've heard being thrown around. And then the top two floors will be large offices. Not sure exactly how the food innovation centre will work, but there will be a few stalls in there as well, it's a pity they couldn't have a direct link to the market. The old joke shop would be an ideal place to make an internal entrance.

Re: An taisce, I remember reading in the planning application that they looked into using the existing facades but it would have been impossible to have a uniform floor level between all the buildings.

An Taisce have always struck me as quite a responsible organisation. They've made their contribution. I imagine they'll see which way the wind is blowing and that will be that.

Fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Anyone have a link to the planning documentation? Took a look on the Cork City website but can't figure it out.

Anyone have a link to the planning documentation? Took a look on the Cork City website but can't figure it out.

http://planning.corkcity.ie/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=1536340

I've found you'll need to use Internet explorer to look at the documentation though, won't work in Chrome for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

http://planning.corkcity.ie/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=1536340

I've found you'll need to use Internet explorer to look at the documentation though, won't work in Chrome for some reason.

No floor plan showing how many units it will have.

Would be a great coup if House of Fraser went in there. Would it be big enough.

Am I correct in saying it will be 3 floors of shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Anyone know when they will actually start working on this?

Maybe when jcd are finished the building on albert quay.

• Advertisement

The demolition will be very tricky to work out, I imagine this will be the main delay for the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

The Capitol decision has been appealed.
    John Cleary said they were going to start in the coming weeks but will have to wait until early next year now.
    doesn't say who appealed it.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/capitol-cinema-plans-delayed-for-months-over-planning-appeal/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

In true Cork fashion once again, its laughable at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

What are they appealling? They don't want extra jobs for the city or dont want the city centre to be regenerated a bit?

idiocy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Disappointed but not going to throw a strop about this until it's explained what grounds have been put forward in opposition to the planning. You'd assume it'd have to be something around traffic control - I do think it'll be crazy trying to get around that area when construction does eventually start - that's a given with development but hard to see how an objection can delay this for up to 4 months, according to the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

what an awful pitty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭thomil

Pitcairn wrote: »
    The Capitol decision has been appealed.
    John Cleary said they were going to start in the coming weeks but will have to wait until early next year now.
    doesn't say who appealed it.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/capitol-cinema-plans-delayed-for-months-over-planning-appeal/

That is just what I was afraid of. I do hope that there is a way to fast track that appeals process. That end of Cork desperately needs investment, and any delay could lead to the "perfect storm" of the Capitol and the Events Centre being built at the same time.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

thomil wrote: »
    That is just what I was afraid of. I do hope that there is a way to fast track that appeals process. That end of Cork desperately needs investment, and any delay could lead to the "perfect storm" of the Capitol and the Events Centre being built at the same time.

I've said this elsewhere but I really can't see the events centre ever going ahead in this city, too many black clouds over it already, and has anyone heard anything in months?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

gimmick wrote: »
    What are they appealling? They don't want extra jobs for the city or dont want the city centre to be regenerated a bit?

idiocy :rolleyes:

The Allah botherers who are there every Saturday will lose their vantage point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

• Market Lane restaurant made an observation on confusion arising from the proposal for a new restaurant operating at Market Lane (the lane behind the Capitol where they Oyster Tavern is) - should be easily resolved.
    • OKR Group, owner of the Burger King building, mainly technicalities to do with boundary incursions, services and demolition of the overhead bridge. May be a bit more tricky.
    • Department of Arts, Heritage & the Gaeltacht, requesting an archaeological investigation
    • Soho Restaurant - submission in support of the development
    • Tom Murphy Menswear - submission regarding disruption to business

Advertisement