Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Darwinism the religion of atheists?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

18AD wrote: »
    I hope I'm not misinterpreting your position.

So are you arguing that people shouldn't have faith? By faith, I assume you mean trust.

Or, that people shouldn't have wrong opinions?

That people shouldn't have wrong opinions, if they can help it.

There's a problem when they realise or suspect that their opinion might be wrong yet they can't let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Mickrock, what exactly is your religion/belief?

^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

You know when you hear the buzzwords 'macro-evolution' and 'micro-evolution', that you're dealing with 'one of those people'.

Macro-evolution as you put it, is the result of micro-evolution over very long periods of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Why does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

mickrock wrote: »
    Why does it matter?

General curiosity really.

You argue in favour of belief based on evidence, yet you dismiss Atheism quite often. When one of the core aspects of Atheism (imo) is that there is no evidence or proof of a Higher Power (Gods).

Hence my question, I would not think it to be unreasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Why does it matter?

Nothing about you matters. however, a large part of the ID movements energy is spent trying to pretend it's not religious. the truth is its a christian fundie movement.

if i was to guess id say youre a homeschooled baptist.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

That people shouldn't have wrong opinions, if they can help it.
    That sentence has no primary clause.
    There's a problem when they realise or suspect that their opinion might be wrong yet they can't let it go.
    Arguably missing a comma or three.
    Try to improve your spelling and punctuation and you might be better understood.
    Incorrect use of conjunction. Try using "so that" in place of the second "and".

Let's see if we can get by with less of the grammar Nazism, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

robindch wrote: »
    That sentence has no primary clause.Arguably missing a comma or three.Incorrect use of conjunction. Try using "so that" in place of the second "and".

Pls do that to my posts in future. I seriously need some grammar proof reading. :D. I'm dead serious be mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭passarellaie

The posts on here remind me of the dialectical arguments of different marxist groups in the seventies.I presume you are all the same people

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The posts on here remind me of the dialectical arguments of different marxist groups in the seventies.I presume you are all the same people

Not sure what your religion is but people change over time. It's a bit of karma you known, change, change, change. Everything is in constant flux. (So sorry blue if I bastardised that.:o)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah and we'll all be buried in Catholic graveyards blah blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jernal wrote: »
    That sentence has no primary clause.Arguably missing a comma or three.Incorrect use of conjunction. Try using "so that" in place of the second "and".

Pls do that to my posts in future. I seriously need some grammar proof reading. :D. I'm dead serious be mean.
    Please not pls please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

However, the fatal flaw in the theory is that while it adequately explains microevolution, it can't explain macroevolution i.e how species evolve.

Since you accept microevolution it simply follows, by elementary logic,
    that you also accept macroevolution:
    "Within the Modern Synthesis school of thought, macroevolution is
    thought of as the compounded effects of microevolution.[7] Thus, the
    distinction between micro- and macroevolution is not a fundamental one
    – the only difference between them is of time and scale."
    link

Both you & JC are implicitly "Darwinists". If you can't handle that fact
    I'm sorry. You're going to have to deny microevolution if you want to
    deny macroevolution, otherwise this is a total waste of time.

Also I noticed your last thread was about abiogenesis:

If you have a shred of honesty I think you'll have to be serious when
    thinking about these concepts, as a lot of the nonsense you spouted
    in your last thread is directly refuted by this video & nothing but honesty
    is required to admit that.

Jernal wrote: »
    As above, "Please" in place of "Pls", en-dash between "proof" and "reading" (or even better, just refer to "grammar checking") and colon or em-dash after "serious".

And now, back to our usual programming :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

dlofnep wrote: »
    You know when you hear the buzzwords 'macro-evolution' and 'micro-evolution', that you're dealing with 'one of those people'.

Macro-evolution as you put it, is the result of micro-evolution over very long periods of time.

Exactly. I won't embed the image as it's not the most pleasant, but here you can see the vestigial hind leg bones of a hump-back whale. If that's not micro-evolution over a very long period of time, then there's two possibilities:

1) All the whales hind legs just fell off
    2) God is a bold boy, chopping off whale legs. Perhaps he's Japanese?

http://museumvictoria.com.au/custom/dialogs/thumbnail.jpg?&i=/pages/30846/webFigure-6.jpg&resizewidth=true&w=475&h=356

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

On the grammar nazi issue, who invented the ridiculous rule of putting
    quotation marks outside of a full stop? :confused:

Example I - "the only difference between them is of time and scale."

Example II - "the only difference between them is of time and scale".

Example I just doesn't sit right with me :o I'd even go so far as to write:

Example I - "the only difference between them is of time and scale.". :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

my grammar is complete a mystery. It isn't popular, such that every Dades, Robin, Jerry would be able to understand it.

On the grammar nazi issue, who invented the ridiculous rule of putting quotation marks outside of a full stop?
    Couldn't be bothered checking just now, but AFAIR, Example II was recommended by the Chicago Manual of Style and most other style guides, at least in the past.

I believe the rules have changed slightly since then for text within quotation marks at the ends of sentences. Nowadays, if the original text had a full stop just after the quoted text, then the full stop is included within the quotation marks and the full stop is omitted at the end of the external sentence (ie, Example I). Otherwise, the text is quoted without a full stop, and the main sentence's full stop is placed just after the second quotation mark (ie, Example II).

'"Whew."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Couldn't be bothered checking just now, but AFAIR, Example II was recommended by the Chicago Manual of Style and most other style guides, at least in the past.

I believe the rules have changed slightly since then for text within quotation marks at the ends of sentences. Nowadays, if the original text had a full stop just after the quoted text, then the full stop is included within the quotation marks and the full stop is omitted at the end of the external sentence (ie, Example I). Otherwise, the text is quoted without a full stop, and the main sentence's full stop is placed just after the second quotation mark (ie, Example II).

'"Whew."

That's how I understand it, so it's usually ." or ". but never .".

I wasn't going to put proper grammar in there because it would just screw it up. :pac: What I do love though is quotes within quotes. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I love A&A; Where seemingly useless threads can become a lesson in grammar or a discussion of classical movie adaptations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

EnterNow wrote: »
    dlofnep wrote: »

Exactly. I won't embed the image as it's not the most pleasant, but here you can see the vestigial hind leg bones of a hump-back whale. If that's not micro-evolution over a very long period of time, then there's two possibilities:

1) All the whales hind legs just fell off
    2) God is a bold boy, chopping off whale legs. Perhaps he's Japanese?

http://museumvictoria.com.au/custom/dialogs/thumbnail.jpg?&i=/pages/30846/webFigure-6.jpg&resizewidth=true&w=475&h=356

God the sick som'bitch put those there to test our faith. Like Dinosaurs and black people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

RichieC wrote: »
    God the sick som'bitch put those there to test our faith. Like Dinosaurs and black people.

Ya gotta love those tests. At least those who fail said tests arn't burned alive anymore :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Fúcking hell, most unimaginative and unoriginal OP ever :rolleyes:

Advertisement