Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hijab, Niqab or Nothing interview

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

So atheists are selfish because they hang out with other atheists? But that nots tarring a whole group with one brush.
    No because they believe this is the only world they have.... The doctrine that this world is eternal, is cruel as the hunger of hyenas.. This doctrine creates selfish genes like ocean club.. I hope you will find the truth one day.... It creates an effect of selfishness in the mind of innocents..
    Oh, so you only said "the majority" of atheists are selfish, that's totally makes the generalisation accurate :rolleyes:. So tell me dead one, if only the majority are selfish, what makes the remainder not selfish, despite the company they keep?
    See, five finger aren't equal, that's universal rule... Out of majority there are always people who word for justice and truth... Whether it atheism or Christianity or islam ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

dead one wrote: »
    No because they believe this is the only world they have.... The doctrine that this world is eternal, is cruel as the hunger of hyenas.. This doctrine creates selfish genes like ocean club.. I hope you will find the truth one day.... It creates an effect of selfishness in the mind of innocents..

Then what did you mean by "A man is known by the company which he keeps"?
    What doctrine are you talking about? Who said this world is eternal and cruel? What makes you say oceanclub is selfish? Atheism has no universal doctrine. Some atheists believe this world is all they get, but some atheists (eg atheist buddhists etc.) and believe in reincarnation and whatnot. You are trying to support an ignorant generalisation with more more ignorant generalisations.
    See, five finger aren't equal, that's universal rule... Out of majority there are always people who word for justice and truth... Whether it atheism or Christianity or islam ..

But what makes them not selfish if atheism has this doctrine and genes of selfishness and cruelty? Could it be that you making this all up, and that some people are just nice and some people are just jerks, regardless of what they do or do not believe in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

oceanclub wrote: »
    Who is more "selfish" - the person who does good in their life,
    Who is more "selfish" A person who feeds his belly or person who feeds the bellies of other by emptying his belly...
    oceanclub wrote: »
    even though they know that after they die there is nothing, or the person who does good because they want a reward of eternal life and 72 virgins?
    P.
    If your selfishness doesn't bring harm to other human being then there is nothing wrong in that selfishness.. A person who is selfish to benefit humanity, that is greater good...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Who is more "selfish" A person who feeds his belly or person who feeds the bellies of other by emptying his belly...

We give to several charities every month, and I believe in voting for left/centre-left parties whose philosophy is to help the weak. What exactly do you do for others?

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Perhaps this explains the lack of atheist suicide bombers? It might also explain why many atheist people believe that making this world a better place is of primary importance, while many religious people believe that suffering in this world is of no consequence (whether their own suffering, or that of others) because things will be better in the next world.

I am thinking in particular of Mother Teresa who felt it was better for children to be born into terrible misery in Calcutta rather than allow contraception to be used. I would argue that she thereby increased the suffering of her fellow man (albeit with what she thought were good intentions).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Perhaps this explains the lack of atheist suicide bombers? It might also explain why many atheist people believe that making this world a better place is of primary importance, while many religious people believe that suffering in this world is of no consequence (whether their own suffering, or that of others) because things will be better in the next world.

Yeah, I never understood claims that life means less to atheists. If anything, it should mean _more_. It's the only one we have, and we have no comfort of thinking we'll get another one.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

But you've already admitted that you don't act selflessly for the benefit of humanity. YOU don't empty your belly to feed others so how are you in a position to lecture others (however mistaken that lecture may be)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Ok guys, please get back on topic or this thread is toast :-)

Advertisement