Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Year's Resolutions

Options
  • 28-12-2011 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭

I think it is time for a New Year's Resolutions Thread.

I always have 5 or 6 and I never keep any of them, so this year mine are:
    1. Do some bloody work in school
    2. Study
    3. Get Fit
    4. Go out more
    5. Waste less time online
    6. Get organised

So what are yours C&H..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cc4life

1.drop a stone weight
    2. drink more water
    3. read more books
    4. excel in sports more
    5. meet new people
    6. stretch everyday
    7. compliment somebody at least once every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Ohh nice thread idea :D

1. Get organised
    2. Get my ADHD under control. Same for my depression and anxiety. I'm doing good atm, but need to be safe rather than sorry!
    3. Contact my friends more, ditto for my parents.
    4. Pass first year of college :p
    5. Final one is to be happy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Think I might quit drinking for a few months next year. I think I've become a bit too dependent on it to have good craic on a night out. Then again, I think everyone else has too...

I wanna get back into jogging and eating right. That's all gone to shít since the LC. Exercise used to always chill me out.

Get a part-time job, preferably one I like. I volunteer, just be more proactive in general. I've gotten over the whole "arrghh-gotta-meet-new-people-make-new-friends" stage of college and it's time to start getting properly involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I'd like to get fit to some degree, just so I don't die in PE as I am prone to do.

And become more social. For years, I've limited my circle of friends and alienated myself from my peer group and it is about time I fixed that.

Put the past behind me and move on with my life. You can't have everything you want and sometimes you will need to accept a compromise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

1. Get fit! :P
    2. Get new hair (specifically similar to Niall Horan's..)
    3. Decide what I want to do with my life
    4. Hopefully stick out college this time
    5. Be nicer to people around me, rather than the remotely horrible person I've turned in to..
    6. Not to depend on others to make me happy. Hopefully develop myself as a person.
    7. Try to stop being so anxious about everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

1- Get taller :o
    2- Be less shy and put myself out there a bit more
    3- Stop being ashamed of my nerdiness :pac:
    4- Become less alienated from a majority of my year..
    5- Actually keep these resolutions
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

1. Do more work
    2. Put on a stone or two
    3. Focus less on fitness and more on getting stronger
    4. Be less awkward
    5. Learn to type >_>
    6. Stop growing in height so fast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

1280x800

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

VERY POSSIBLE

1. Stop living in the past, quit trying to save dying friendships and actually put in some work to make the new ones I've made over the past few months stronger.
    2. Go out more. Have fun. Drink. Stop locking myself away behind the excuse of study.
    3. Actually study, don't just say I will and then spend hours on Facebook/boards.

DIFFICULT
    4. Learn to play at least one song on guitar.
    5. Get at least one A1 in the summer exams. (Modesty aside)I could aim higher, but going by this semester I think it might be best to aim for a gradual improvement.
    7. Learn to count. :pac: :pac: :pac:
    8. Lose weight.

NIGH ON IMPOSSIBLE
    9. Be less of an indecisive person.
    10. Get a girlfriend. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

These never work but sure what harm.

1. Do some work at school because this acting like you are while sitting at your desk contemplating life is becoming a bit of a joke really.

2. Do all those generic things like eat healthily and exercise more. And I'm setting low expectations for this one to avoid bitter disappointment.

3. Chill out a bit more, in fairness over the last year this whole worrying obsessively thing has improved loads but it's still annoying and unnecessary.

4. Stop making excuses to avoid things you think are gonna be crap, they'll probably be full of craic and fun, more than sitting at home channel surfing.

5. Read more.

6. Be happy. Seriously.

7. Have an awesome summer, already it's shaping up to be one of the best, don't ruin it...and don't spend the first part of it biting nails and stressing over how bored you already are/will be. Because that was hilariously bad. And it ended up being a brilliant summer. So shut up, brain.

WOOOOOOO 2012, BRING IT. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

1. Have fun. Enjoy things. Stop worrying about things that happened long ago or things that might or will happen. Live in the moment I suppose.

2. The generic get fit / lose weight resolution. My boyfriend is a soccer player who works out and runs every day and has spent time studying fitness. Time to take advantage of that, in more ways than one ;)

3. Stop spending so much money on stupid things. I need to grow up where finances are concerned. I'm so adult with every other area of life but I go silly with money. I need to make some and save it.

4. Work work work hard on my studies. I need to up my game, I need to get my study mojo back.

5. It's been going the way I've wanted it to go for the last while so I hope my confidence levels continue to rise in 2012. I need to work on that. And be kinder to myself. I am an ok person after all. :)

6. The first half of next year will be spent living in a foreign country. I need to milk this opportunity for all I can. I need to see all I can see, talk to everyone I can, master the language, be happy, have fun with the people I've met and will meet. Who knows if I'll ever get such a chance again. :)

WOOP WOOP 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I will talk to less people this year. I had to engage with a shopkeeper recently and the smell still hasn't gone away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

The doable:

- Not leave all my college work until the past minute again. Doing it week by week would be much easier.

- Actually relax and take time out once in a while. Working three days as well as college means I deserve a little me time. I don't need to feel guilty when I do nothing for a while.

- get out more and see my friends more.

- clear my credit card bill and start saving again.

Less do-able:

- Save up and have moved out by this time next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

1. Study like mad, get as much points as possible and get out of this shíthole.
    2. Decide what I actually want to study :P
    3. Get rid of people in my life who are intent on bringing me down.
    4. Start playing sports in the summer after exams, I need to get back playing football!!
    5. Actually have fun this summer; go out, actually leave the house, just be less sensible than usual really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Make it to most of my lectures. Last semester went so well cos they were all in the afternoon. Back to 9am starts this semester though...

And that leads to...fix my sleeping pattern. I'd say I've gone to bed before 2/3am about twice in the last year. Its a disaster! Better sleeping plan means better at college but I can't make myself do it!

Keep on top of studying. Some day, for some exam, I'll be able to go to bed at 11pm the night before, worry free, instead of last minute study til 5am :rolleyes:

Stop spending money on unnecessary crap! Its depressing to look at how many coffees I have on my Students Union card from this year...I don't even want to think of how much money I've spent on that alone.

Learn some time management. And quit procrastinating. Highly unlikely :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Continue being awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Achieve a golden week AND a black week.

Pass first year.

Go see a fucking doctor.

Try organise something for the summer..

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭EmptyWithMe

1. Eat healthy, lose weight and all that stuff.
    2. Study.
    3. Get out more.
    4. Get in to college and move out.
    5. Plan and save for Canada trip in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

1. Be healthier
    2. Work harder
    3. Be more positive
    4. Learn to be better with my money
    5. Get over stuff I struggle with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

1. Get through semester 2 without getting my stomach pumped, pregnant or being convinced to do the "2L milk challenge".

2. Shift a county hurler.

3. ACTUALLY WORK THIS TIME.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

1. Stop with fighting
    2. Or at least learn to fight properly.
    3. Wage war with obiesity.
    4. Win.
    5. Carry on.

Get a first.

Do every quest in Skyrim (if I make this a resolution, I don't have to feel guilty about doing something that would have consumed my life anyway).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

1. Get through semester 2 without getting my stomach pumped, pregnant or being convinced to do the "2L milk challenge".

2. Shift a county hurler.

3. ACTUALLY WORK THIS TIME.

Which adds

11. Become a county hurler.

to my list. :pac: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Which adds

11. Become a county hurler.

to my list. :pac: :pac:

It'd be easier to just ask her for the shift! ;) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Find girl so I can actually do the stupid plans I pointlessly think up :pac:

Get new job

Run marathon

Get my arse in gear back training and take a fight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Get my life in order.

1. Start eating more/properly
    2. Actually go to lectures.
    3. Become more independent.
    4. Clean my apartment and keep it clean.
    5. Learn to cook
    6. Talk to new people more, soberly.
    7. Get out of bed all/most days.
    8. Be careful with money.
    9. Take care of myself more on nights out.
    10. Fix relationships.

Wow, that is a lot...just hope I can do them, I really need to get some stuff sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

1. Stop being a dick in front of girls, it isn't doing me any favours.

2. Actually do college work.

3. Fix my bizarre sleeping pattern.

4. Do something involving music again.

5. Start another sport thing. Parkour is interesting. Become good at it.

6. Stop smoking weed. I have no money for anything else, so saving for two weeks and then spending whatever pennies I have on weed is pretty stupid.

I plan on actually doing these things, and I invite all of you to kick my hole if you catch me doing something bold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Kinda detailed all these in my self-indulgent letter to myself in the other thread, so I'll keep this less 'tl;dr' (especially for you, EuropeanSon! :pac:)

*Worry less, relax more, be more sociable and actually try talking to people once in a while rather than waiting for them to come to me.

*Stop being insanely obsessive about every little thing that ever happened in the past. It's over, move the fúck on.

*Learn Chinese (this one will have to be done fast; I'll be over there in five weeks!)

*Do so ridiculously well in the Masters I applied for (if I get accepted for it) so that employers won't give a shít about me not doing so well in my degree (even though I did pretty well under the circumstances and would defy anyone in my position to have done any better, but that's beside the point......)

*Lose weight; preferably get fit too but losing weight is the more important bit right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

This is more of a to-do list for the year rather than resolutions. Nonetheless...

1. Get into Medicine
    2. Do a skydive
    3. Become fit. Properly fit. Not just temporarily either. And be less fat.
    4. Actually get pissed off if for some reason I can't go out, rather than being secretly relieved every single time.
    5. Go on a holiday. Never been on a proper holiday
    6. Help someone in a big way
    7. Finally buy a drum kit
    8. Pass le driving test
    9. Get a job for summer (likely needed to fund other items on the list)
    10. I will add this one when I know what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

1) Generic get fit, eat healthy, be skinny thing.. But Im not gonna mind so much about this until the Christmas crap has been eaten up.
    2i) Keep working hard in school, or in some aspects start. Maybe, do well because im continuously revising, not for last min cramming.
    2ii) Really give maths a shot, if the teacher thinks ive the potential to sit the honours paper, I need to cop da fuq on and prove it.
    3) Treat horse riding more seriously and not just as a leisure activity.
    4) Being sociable stepped up this year, but step it up further, go da extra mile!11!
    5) *Shamelessly robbed from soccy, but edited to suit own slang* Meet a county hurler
    6) And ehh this year was a good year, continue that and/or make it better. Make it a year I can look back on this time next year and be all "Yea I accomplished shit"

Advertisement