Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What is included in a "Service"

Options
  • 28-12-2011 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭

I see places offering €69 services and others offering €99 services.. .and so on..

But what are you getting for that price ?

Does it include the normal service things like spark plugs / oil/ filter / other fluid checks like power steering and refill/top up if needed ?

Or is that just the labor charge and everything else is extra ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I would imagine at that price it just includes an oil and filter change.

A service "should" include a full inspection of tyres, brakes, lights, levels, steering, and a road test along with the above oil and filter change.

Plugs wouldnt be changed at every service, and same goes for an air filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

A full check over of the car is a must in all services along with an oil and filter. For that price its only a basic service.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It will also depend on what was done to the car on the last service it had. There is no one size fits all when it comes to servicing a car.

These €69 or €99 service offers imo are just like the January sales opening offers designed to get you in door. What is scary though is that people spend €69 on one of these "services" and think their car doesn't need another visit to a garage for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I call these €69 €99 etc services Micky mouse services. Since they will probably only cover a small percentage of what you would expect in a proper service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

when reading this thread there's a an ad in my browser for one of these €79 services. Includes oil, oil filter, top up of fluids and "comprehensive vehicle health check"

http://www.faichneyringwood.ie/contentv3/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&pageID=20607

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    when reading this thread there's a an ad in my browser for one of these €79 services. Includes oil, oil filter, top up of fluids and "comprehensive vehicle health check"

http://www.faichneyringwood.ie/contentv3/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&pageID=20607

obd2-cable.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

bazz26 wrote: »
    ... What is scary though is that people spend €69 on one of these "services" and think their car doesn't need another visit to a garage for ages.
    mondeo wrote: »
    I call these €69 €99 etc services Micky mouse services. Since they will probably only cover a small percentage of what you would expect in a proper service.
    I got a €49 service done on my car at AutoDynamic (main SEAT dealer). For an extra €33.50 they supplied and fitted a diesel filter, so €82.50 inc VAT all told. A proper service with invoice, book stamped, diagnostic checks, dashboard CEL reset (minor omissions issue) and service indicator reset as well as advisory re: rear tyres at 3mm

Ask what you're getting for your money and don't assume it's either all bad or all great before you ask and / or experience the service.

I'd have no problem going back to AutoDynamic for the next scheduled service at full-price after my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

These "comprehensive" check imo means walking around checking your tyre pressure, checking that the windscreen washer resevoir is topped up, checking your wiper blades have enough rubber on them, your tyres have a min of 1.6mm of thread, the brake pads are not down to the minimum and all bulbs are working. Most if not all that stuff are just visuals and can be done by yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭swhyte027

Ok I'm sick of people in our business are asking me how come the garage down the road is doing a service for 69so hear goes.the service down the road for 69e is a oil change with 10w 40 oil and a filter in most cases so when we service our cars hears how the service goes.first let off the oil filter open oil cap then put the car in the air let the oil drain check the complete under the car for exhaust leaks and anything wore or need changen the let the lift down abit check the 4tyres check the 4 sets of brake pads remove all the wheels and check the discs and adjust handbrake depending on the car.the check all the steering linkage and ball joints all the rear multi link suspension also.then check the roll bar and all the roll bar links.replace what is needed upon advising the customer.replace all the wheels and check the tyre pressures.replace the engine sump plug with a new copper washer.let the car down torque the wheels.change all the engine filters and top up the engine with the manufactures spec oil.grease all the bonnet hinges and locks.grease all the door locks and hinges.run a diagnostic check and followed by reseting of service light.stamp the service book.return car oh I forgot also check all the lights and levels off all fluids and top up as needed.now I might of left out one r two bits.but u wouldn't get all that for 49e r 69e r even 99e

swhyte027 wrote: »
    ....but u wouldn't get all that for 49e r 69e r even 99e
    I did, and the lights check showed a blown number-plate bulb which was replaced (€0.40 I think). I specifically told the tech that the brakes front and rear had just been checked with new discs and pads fitted to the rear.

Did I mention that they offered me a courtesy car but I opted for a lift to and collection from the nearest Luas stop instead to let me get into town to attend to a bit of biz.

My €82.50 service was a loss leader big-time from their point of view but I suppose the pay-back for the dealership is referrals for more service business, which is what they are trying very successfully to promote.

There are good guys offering good deal out there, please don't assume that a low price equates to skimping on quality.

• Advertisement

Do u mind me asking the make and model also what did they change on the car.so ur telling me that you got a full service including oil filter air filter fuel filter and spark plugs if need and a full service for that price including genuine parts.and a full diagnostic check.???

Skoda Fabia VRS 1.9TDI PD 130 2004 98,000 miles (no sparky things on these) I had checked the car with my own code-reader before letting it in but forgot to clear the CEL. I'm so used to seeing it it doesn't phase me now. I told them what they'd find on a diagnostic scan "(19586) P3130 - EGR system regulation range exceeded". The car has no EGR - I plumbed it out but there seems to be a small vacuum leak in the vacuum manifold that throws a CEL from time-to-time.

As I predicted that was the only fault found.

I got the wiper-blades and cabin-filter done with the brakes.

Other info on car :
    • Original Irish car, I'm the 2nd owner
    • Forge motorsport FMIC
    • TurboTechnics Hybrid Turbo
    • 312 x 25 mm front brake discs (Audi TT 225)
    • Pagid pads front and rear (ATE replacement discs rear)
    • Full de-cat exhaust with twin ss tail-pipes
    • Sachs MotorSport organic clutch
    • Sachs MotorSport DMF (couldn't source a solid one when engine was in bits unfortunately)
    • Full leather interior (front and rear seats, head-rests and door-cards)
    • 17-inch 5 arm Audi TT wheels with 205/40/17s (Toyo Proxes rear, Bridgestone RE50A front)
    • JabbaSport rear anti-roll bar
    • Polybushes front and rear
    • Stock suspension (had coilovers, too severe for road pothole use)
    • Alloy oil catch-tank
    • Allard EGR bypass kit
    • K&N Mesh air-filter in stock air-box (no MAFs fouled up yet )
    • 53mpg overall with no granny driving but no road-hog stuff either
    Currently mapped to 180bhp and 93 gazillioni torques, but needs another map.

Not your typical car maybe and maybe I'm not a typical customer, but they did a fine job with good heart and friendliness for small money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Knowing the wholesale price on most services parts and guessing hourly labour rates, these garages are not making money on the services, as pointed out, it is to get you in the door. They then make the money on the other parts, pad's, discs, timing belts etc. Some people will leave a car in for a €69 service, but leave after paying hundreds on work that needed to be done.

So what ur saying is u only got a oil service done basically

So what ur saying is u only got a oil service done basically
    I'm saying I got exactly what was advertised at exactly the advertised price and got the pre-arranged extras at the pre-agreed price (excluding €0.45 bulb + VAT). I also got friendly faces, professional attention, a nice atmosphere, unexpected extras with the lifts and a good feeling about an excellent operation in AutoDynamic which is well worth visiting again. I also got branded key-rings and tax-disc holders.

I'm a delighted customer, where is the fecken problem? Nothing you say will change the fact that they did a great job and I'm a happy customer who'll tell everyone. Roll up, roll up. Just €49 (€75 now I think) folks support your local service-stop.

But you haven't said what u got not once have u I listed a full service which u said u got all that then web I asked did u get a fuel filter u avoided the question.im just saying that you wouldn't get a full service including everything for the price listed be it 49 69 or 89e that is all

And I'm not having a go at you I'm just saying is all.any garage could of done that at that rate.i don't mind how many people u tell as I do a different brand so I'm just stating my point.

Jeeze you really don't get it do you? AutoDynamic advertised a limited number of services for €49 and described what that service consisted of. I applied and got one. I'm deliriously happy with what I got and how it was delivered by a highly-qualified professional VAG technician who had spent years in the dealership that sold my car from new.

There is no other point to be made. They sold and probably lost money on the transaction, I bought and I'm over the moon.

Happy New Year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭scoobymunster

Not to labour an arguement, but Mathepac are you saying you got a "service" as defined by swhyte027(post #10)? or was the service an oil(and filter) change and a detailed visual inspection? That is what he/she is trying to establish.

Here ye go lads, decide for yerselves. This is the original thread / offer - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75960251

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

But you haven't said what u got not once have u I listed a full service which u said u got all that then web I asked did u get a fuel filter u avoided the question.im just saying that you wouldn't get a full service including everything for the price listed be it 49 69 or 89e that is all

What do you charge for your full service swhyte?

That all depend on make model what the car needs I don't agree with false advertisement but I'd do a oil service on a vag for 69e

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

I reckon its let the Buyer beware on all services whether the Garage is Charging €49 or €299. Ive had Garages (said to be reputable one's) Service my car, charge me ove €200 , on the list is wheels removed and breakpads tyres etc checked where they never even took off the wheels. On the same Service they Charged me €5 to fill my water resouvoir, Which was already full. They checked all lights. I knew i was missing a foglight and two (out of 4) rear running bulbs. The check bulbs had a big OK beside it, none of the bulbs changed.

I obviously once realising this stated my case. and stood my ground. And i understand the costs of labour and parts in such services. But i certainly wouldnt trust a service by its high price just as much as i wouldnt trust one for its low price. Ask questions , make notes. Be aware of what your going to get Regardless of what the price is. If your happy with what you get for your money then happy days, Fire ahead, Just make sure you get it!!

I agree totally I had a friend who brought his new car to the dealer to get it first service also charged 5e to top up windscreen washers and he went mad and stood his ground as all that was in it was water not even screen wash needless to say he never returned to them

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭McP2011

A proper service will be Oil+filter change,Fuel filter depending on when last done,Lights checked, All bushings,track rod ends,springs etc etc checked +replaced as necessary,Coolant change depending on quailitly etc, Depending on vehicle,diff,gearbox oil checked,shafts etc greased,brake pipes cleaned,any fluids topped up,air filter checked + changed,wiper blades checked etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

wasn't many moons ago people in this forum were marking the service bits with tippex to catch out the garage ripping them..I wonder do some of these 49euro service actually change the filter?

It costs me about 30 euros to do an oil (10w-40) and filter change myself..I know they get trade prices, etc but the margin must be minimal...sign of the times I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Some of these service prices beggar belief. If you go and price up the proper grade oil and a quality oil filter, you would hardly get them both for these prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

johnayo wrote: »
    Some of these service prices beggar belief. If you go and price up the proper grade oil and a quality oil filter, you would hardly get them both for these prices.

The €49 price being mentioned above was a limited special offer don't forget.

Large garages buy their oil in 200L drums so its cost price simply isn't comparable to buying 5L of oil in a motorfactors or where ever.

We have 2 900L drums(5w30 and 10w40) 2 200L drums(5w30 low saps, 5w40) and normally 5 or 6 20L drums of various other manufacturer specific oils and we charge €65 for an oil and filter change and full vehicle inspection and diagnostic check and still make a profit, albeit fairly small.

I'm surprised (but shouldn't be ) at the "thread hoppers" who join in at the end with their "expertise" about what does and does not constitute a service.

The dealership offering the service stated explicitly what was on offer for €49 - thread hoppers read the ad text provided in the OP. Anyone taking up the offer was in no doubt as to what to expect for their money and had the choice of accepting the offer or not.

I chose to accept the offer and IMHO, I got over and above what was advertised. While I paid extra for items not included in the ad, the prices for these extras were very competitive.

So bleat all ye like lads, ye bleaters ye. The reality is only one person on here took up the offer as far as I can see and that is me. Therefore no-one else is qualified to talk about whether Autodynamic's offer or the service supplied was good / bad or indifferent except me. And IMHO it was superlative. Worth at least twice as much. Great value altogether. The bargain of the century. A kick in the ass to the begrudgers. Truly amazing. Worth more visits for full-price services. A challenge to others in the industry to rise to that level of excellence. Remember I speak with great authority and have proof - I got a detailed invoice and paid out my euros for the superlative service. The bleaters are bleating from the safety of the ditch

• Advertisement
Advertisement