Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis or Blur?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Ah now, you can hardly compare the likes of Oasis and Blur to the Stone Roses.

I thought we were looking for the best guitarist of Greenwood and Coxon's generation? Namely, John Squire!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Mind is broken for imagining the search for the new Jonny G.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Kold wrote: »
    Mind is broken for imagining the search for the new Jonny G.

Pick me! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

pulp, everyone knows that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Definitely Blur. No contest for me. Never been a big fan of Oasis. Granted, Liam has a great voice and they were a very dynamic group in their day, but I just never thought they were all that great. They think they're way better than they actually are, and their music just isn't as well written as some of Blur's best stuff, in my opinion. Blur reminded me a lot more of the Beatles than Oasis ever did, despite Oasis practically wishing they were the Beatles. Beetlebum is hands down better than any Oasis song, for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Blur for me. Oasis I loved until What's the Story, which I think is only decent in spots (Cast no Shadow and Some Might Say being my standouts). They quickly became overblown and a parody of themselves. Blur stepped back after The Great Escape rather than become trapped in a rut.
    I missed Oasis supporting REM in Slane '95 and had little interest in seeing them after that, whereas I saw Blur in the RDS in '96 and the point in '97 and '99. All great shows.
    And yes, I did read the OP in Fr. Damo's voice.

And on Jonny Greenwood, apart from his programming and keyboards, his atonal aural assault on the guitar was vital to Radiohead. His approach, like Coxon being so leftfield that I would doubt a replacement would've been easy to find. Most competent guitarists aren't as offbeat in their playing in my experience. To be good you must (usually) study the classics (Led Zep, Hendrix, Clapton etc.). Being innovative often means being crap in popular music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

back in the day it was oasis, these last years I got more into blur, they had some wicked tunes back in the day :eek:

it was cruisy music like the stone roses too but at the same time very different

and yeah johnny greenwood did some great things with a guitar too.

The best of Oasis versus the best of Blur. Only one winner really. And they have more dirt under their nails :P

The best of Oasis versus the best of Blur. Only one winner really. And they have more dirt under their nails :P

Clue is in the name, is it? To each their own, but I went from being a serious Oasis fan from Definitely Maybe through Whatever and up to What's the Story, to nonplussed by the time they'd milked all the singles off that. Afterwards I liked a few off Heathen Chemistry and pretty much nothing else.
    As far as I'm concerned, they lost it during the recording of the second album and I thought it was patchy. Pity, because I still love the earlier stuff.
    Blur were the more productive, inventive and better musicians (guitar and bass anyway) to boot. In my opinion only, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

il gatto wrote: »
    Blur for me. Oasis I loved until What's the Story

Ah come on now you can hardly stop liking Oasis after their first album.

There is plenty of standouts on each of their albums since then barr Standing On The Shoulder of Giants.

Personally I think they went on a downhill by Be Here Now but certain songs on Heathen Chemistry and Don't Believe The Truth brought them back up to their former glory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

karaokeman wrote: »

There is plenty of standouts on each of their albums since then barr Standing On The Shoulder of Giants.

Gas Panic from that album is Noel's lyrical and musical masterpiece. And it also was a beast when they played it live.

Clue is in the name, is it? To each their own, but I went from being a serious Oasis fan from Definitely Maybe through Whatever and up to What's the Story, to nonplussed by the time they'd milked all the singles off that. Afterwards I liked a few off Heathen Chemistry and pretty much nothing else.
    As far as I'm concerned, they lost it during the recording of the second album and I thought it was patchy. Pity, because I still love the earlier stuff.
    Blur were the more productive, inventive and better musicians (guitar and bass anyway) to boot. In my opinion only, of course.

That's just a coincidence! Nonplussed by Morning Glory? Really?!?! Fair enough, I can see why people might not have liked some of their later stuff but Morning Glory is a fantastic record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

I always regarded Heathen Chemistry as their worst album by a considerable distance, take away Little By Little and the rest is instantly forgettable but the b-sides like Just Getting Older, Idlers Dream and Shout It Out Loud were more inspiring than the rest of the album for me. Dont Believe the Truth was an excellent album and the first half of Dig Out Your Soul that Noel wrote is also top notch and also Noel's solo album is up there.

Can agree about Blur being more productive/inventive as Oasis/Noel always stuck to the classic rock band template. I dont think Blur have the same depth of material that Oasis do or will leave behind the legacy that Oasis will but musically they're in different genres so they're not comparible. The Verve were musically probably the halfway point between the two groups

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Interesting to see the poll so close. I wouldn't describe myself as much of a fan of either band but if I think about both band's output then Oasis have released more songs that I've liked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Oasis for sure, I found their work a lot more relatable than Blur's. Noel Gallagher really can touch your soul with his songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Oasis = Rock n Roll excess etc.
    Blur, well, didn't.

Oasis any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Garzorico wrote: »
    Oasis = Rock n Roll excess etc.
    Blur, well, didn't.

Oasis any day.
    We're judging them by their music not their lifestyles

Oasis for sure, I found their work a lot more relatable than Blur's. Noel Gallagher really can touch your soul with his songs.

Yeah, Oasis had the ability to Dig Out Your Soul! :cool::o

I never got into Blur tbh.

Oasis ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

blur. a non contest really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

a non contest really

Considering Oasis are winning the poll by a small margin, it's not really a "non-contest" now, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

baz2009 wrote: »
    Considering Oasis are winning the poll by a small margin, it's not really a "non-contest" now, is it?

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds and Beady Eye is a non-contest though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 inthefade

I guess I'd go for Blur, mainly because of the fact that I can't ****ing stand Oasis!

That's just a coincidence! Nonplussed by Morning Glory? Really?!?! Fair enough, I can see why people might not have liked some of their later stuff but Morning Glory is a fantastic record.

The spark was gone. New drummer didn't fit, songs overwrought and recordings overblown. No coherence or discernible direction. Constant childish bickering in the media. Changing lineup. I totally lost interest. It all started going wrong when they got shot of Tony McCarroll. IMO, of course.

The spark was gone. New drummer didn't fit, songs overwrought and recordings overblown. No coherence or discernible direction. Constant childish bickering in the media. Changing lineup. I totally lost interest. It all started going wrong when they got shot of Tony McCarroll. IMO, of course.

Oh, you were joking. Highly amusing! Boy is my face red!

Tony McCarroll was the man who struggled so much on Definitely Maybe they were hiring in session drummers to overdub the drumming!!

best drummer Oasis had was Zak Starkey on their last two albums, he had a great pounding almost marching band style

Dotsey wrote: »
    Tony McCarroll was the man who struggled so much on Definitely Maybe they were hiring in session drummers to overdub the drumming!!

best drummer Oasis had was Zak Starkey on their last two albums, he had a great pounding almost marching band style

I wouldn't say Tony McCaroll was better than Andy White, not at all. But the style of drumming on the first album suited the songs in a way Andy White's more intricate playing didn't.
    Zac Starkey is a great drummer too. Got lessons from Keith Moon as a kid. Seems to fit the Who very nicely. Sounded better than White did in Oasis.
    I suppose all in all, I just don't think they had the wherewithal to bring it to the next level, a la the Beatles. Overreached themselves somewhat. Just an opinion, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

The results of this poll thus far have me gravely depressed.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say Tony McCaroll was better than Andy White, not at all. But the style of drumming on the first album suited the songs in a way Andy White's more intricate playing didn't.
    Zac Starkey is a great drummer too. Got lessons from Keith Moon as a kid. Seems to fit the Who very nicely. Sounded better than White did in Oasis.
    I suppose all in all, I just don't think they had the wherewithal to bring it to the next level, a la the Beatles. Overreached themselves somewhat. Just an opinion, of course.
    that would be Alan White.
    interesting that Noel manned the drums on Bag It Up, Waiting for the Raptrure and Soldier On on the last album, he done a pretty good job aswell. Also on his solo album and on SOTSOG he done practically every bit of lead guitar, rhythm and bass plus vocals so he's adept at every instrument he needs

Advertisement