Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

credit card reader apps

Options
  • 25-12-2011 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

Do these things exist in Ireland?

There is a company called square.com that provides this service but it seems like they are still only operating in the States (I think they provide you with a dongle like attachment that allows your phone to scan credit cards) .

Is there nothing comparable over here yet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭G S R

I seen a programme about these. Don't think they're here yet unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

Keep an eye out for iZettle.
    It's European, and has a better chance of rollout here eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lsdmem

Any news on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lsdmem

Any news on this?

I got a reader through blueface recently.

It's called a Sumup, and works with Mastercard, and can process Visa payments, but it's awkward as Visa won't let you simply scan the card and have someone enter a PIN.

The reader was free, and should still be available at http://sumup.ie

The Visa payment needs an email sent, so there's room for improvement, but it's a start.
    Flat rate of 1.9% per transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

SumUp are bringing out a new reader very shortly which will make Visa transactions a lot easier.
    Worth waiting for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

I got one from ulster bank a year ago. Well it looked like a credit card reader?

@Paddy_R, where did you hear about the new sumup reader?
    Do you know if it will require a new scanner, or just an update to the smartphone app?
    The reader I got from them just plugs into the headphone socket on my phone,
    and I log in to my sumup account through their app.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

It will require a new reader that you most likely will have to pay for.

I believe the current reader you have will still work but just not for VISA and you will still have to send the email/text to get VISA to work but if you go for the new reader I believe it's a bluetooth connected device that you can enter a pin so it works much better. It's due out in April sometime I believ.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

niallb wrote: »
    @Paddy_R, where did you hear about the new sumup reader?
    Do you know if it will require a new scanner, or just an update to the smartphone app?
    The reader I got from them just plugs into the headphone socket on my phone,
    and I log in to my sumup account through their app.

Hi Niall.

You can find a bit more info in this thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement