Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SumUp Credit Card Processing

Options
  • 08-10-2012 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Came across SumUp last night when looking into credit card processing options other than the traditional method of fixed terminal through Elevon or whoever.

This seems really good, particularly with Visa Debit cards replacing Laser for most banks. Card reader is free and app is free. They take 2.75% commission on transactions.

Waiting for my card reader now so will report back when I receive it. Seems very good though.

Anyone used it yet?

David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Hi Folks,

Came across SumUp last night when looking into credit card processing options other than the traditional method of fixed terminal through Elevon or whoever.

This seems really good, particularly with Visa Debit cards replacing Laser for most banks. Card reader is free and app is free. They take 2.75% commission on transactions.

Waiting for my card reader now so will report back when I receive it. Seems very good though.

Anyone used it yet?

David

Have a reader sitting on my desk, but haven't had a need to use it yet. Look handy enough to use, would be afraid of losing the unit, it's tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

Hmmm duno how my customers would feel about making a cash payment and getting a reciept emailed to them. Most of my customers will be older generation. Pity, im currently in the market for a cheaper solution to card payment terminals.

I heard that banks are not giving out the terminals to start ups as easy as they used to. Anybody hear about this? I dont see why that would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭BigGrayKettle

Hmmm duno how my customers would feel about making a cash payment and getting a reciept emailed to them. Most of my customers will be older generation. Pity, im currently in the market for a cheaper solution to card payment terminals.

I heard that banks are not giving out the terminals to start ups as easy as they used to. Anybody hear about this? I dont see why that would be.

That is the only thing I would be worried about too - I can see how less technically inclined customers would feel a bit dodgy about it. From an older customer's perspective it looks exactly what they would think a "card skimming" system would look like!

If anyone has good suggestions for accepting card payments I would be delighted to hear suggestions. Most of my business is cash but I would have 2/3 people a week looking to pay by card so not really worth getting a terminal in at the moment anyway.

...so not really worth getting a terminal in at the moment anyway.

SumUp is the solution then. Only system like that on the market in Ireland afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

If you are going to use a service like sumup you need to explain how the service works to the customer, what you are doing with their card, and that it is as secure as any other payment method

I believe v2 of the software will allow printing

• Advertisement

Nuttzz wrote: »
    I believe v2 of the software will allow printing

If you want to print a receipt, just put your email in as the invoice email and print it off yourself. That's what you'll be pretty much doing when you print from an iPad/iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Merger

I've been working with the system for a week now.

Beginning all the hoops your jumping through to remove the 100 limit is frustrating.

But once that came off it was working away fine. Although I did have a problem with products which I had saved kept disappearing (but was more my phone then the system).

And yes the thing is Tiny! comes in a match box format! I have heard of a similar Bluetooth terminal that looks a little more conventional. But works in the same manner

Here is a link

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cormac1982

Like Merger above, I jumped through all the hoops which I felt were a bit OTT but liked the idea of having a mobile terminal for the odd time I'd need to take payment from a customer outside the store. Very disappointed when I realised that I can only use to swipe to accept MasterCard payments and not Visa payments! To accept Visa I have to put in the customers mobile (assuming they one and have it with them) then wait for them to receive the text, ask them to following the link in the text (assuming they have a smartphone and a data plan!) then ask them to manually type in their credit card details! It would be easier to drive them to an ATM and get cash! Someone was saying earlier in this thread that it might come across as a bit dodge to older customers (skimming etc) but it's even worse to ask a customer to follow a l link in a txt message! I've warned my Dad a few times NEVER to follow a link in a txt message that he may receive!!!

Promising product but needs a bit of work...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Been looking into something to accept card payments too. Very rarely have customers wanting to pay by card but it would be nice to have the option if need be and a % per transaction is probably the best way as I wouldn't like to be paying monthly at all.

I'd also like to take payment over the phone, is that possible with this or is it only a chip and pin system?

The rigmarole with the VISA sms/linking sounds way too much to be asking from a customer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I was speaking with SumUp last week and they told me that the visa issue will be resolved early this year but he couldn't give me an exact date so hopefully it will be resolved sooner rather than later as its a great idea

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    Been looking into something to accept card payments too. Very rarely have customers wanting to pay by card but it would be nice to have the option if need be and a % per transaction is probably the best way as I wouldn't like to be paying monthly at all.

I'd also like to take payment over the phone, is that possible with this or is it only a chip and pin system?

The rigmarole with the VISA sms/linking sounds way too much to be asking from a customer!

Cormie. (Great name by the way!)
    It's not even chip and pin - just swipe, which is sorta a bit counter productive this day and age I think....

Far as I know you can't input a manual/customer not present sale. Would also be very handy. I'm sure there are online solutions for this though, maybe Google Checkout could do that for you, not sure if it's available in Ireland yet though but I'm sure theres alternatives.

Regards, Cormac

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Does anyone know if sumup have any plans to bring in the option to make Laser payments?

Kxiii wrote: »
    Does anyone know if sumup have any plans to bring in the option to make Laser payments?

I'd be surprised seeing as Laser is pretty much being phased out in favour of Visa debit...

cormac1982 wrote: »
    I'd be surprised seeing as Laser is pretty much being phased out in favour of Visa debit...

I know at some stage it will be probably all Visa debit, but there are a large number of Laser cards still about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Kxiii wrote: »

I wouldn't say so with Laser being phased out at this stage. Dankse Bank are the only bank that are offering customers a Laser card. AIB and BoI are phasing them out.

I certainly wouldn't think so anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Any updates on the visa issue here?! Thinking of getting one of these boyos.

Any negative experiences so far?

I got one after have put a few payments through it both mastercard and visa and both worked. The payment shows up in your acc a couple of days later.

I was speaking to someone from Sum Up a couple of weeks ago and he was saying that they're hoping to have the visa chip and sorted around the end of May start of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭seedubya

This is insanely expensive if you're doing any volume of transactions. Over three years with the volume that we project (about 2 per day), one third being credit and 2/3 being debit they would work out over double the price. 2.75% is the rate the Merchants charge for PAPER transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

These types of products aren't designed for people who would be putting through any serious volume though. In that situation you're better off going the traditional merchant account route with a full GPRS terminal. More monthly costs (rental and account fees) but much lower transaction charges.

These phone-related readers are really designed for low volume, occasional-use business, who would otherwise be crippled by the 50 or 60 euro average monthly cost on a regular mobile terminal account.

Now, forgive the sales pitch, but I reckon its fairly relevant to the thread:

I'm involved in Elavon's MobileMerchant product, which is a competitor to SumUp with a number of differences:

- its a fully chip & pin and PCI DSS compliant pinpad, which is better for your security and is also more in line with what customers are used to these days. In fact its the first proper chip & pin mobile reader of its kind and is award winning.

- no transaction limits

- no differences in processing Visa / MasterCard

- accepts Laser cards

- 24/7 phone support (i believe SumUp is web-based support only in most cases)

- it comes with a Virtual Terminal web tool so that you can process cardholder-not-present / telephone orders through on your PC / laptop.

- price is a little more than SumUp - 25 euro set up, 10 euro monthly rental, 2.95% on credit cards and 49c on debit cards, but its a better product with better support. :D

If anyone would like to look into MobileMerchant, drop me a PM.

Does mobile merchant require a merchant account with a bank?

Is there an iphone/ipad app? Dont see one linked on the link provided

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I just had a look at the Sum up website.

As a punter, if I bought something and was offered asked to put my card into a reader like that I'd be telling you where to go.........................................

Does mobile merchant require a merchant account with a bank?

Is there an iphone/ipad app? Dont see one linked on the link provided

It requires a merchant account through Elavon, which is set up as part of the process for getting Mobile Merchant. The pricing I listed above covers the merchant account and device.

At the moment it's android or blackberry but iOS support is imminent. Don't have a specific date, but very very soon. Literally just waiting for the app to hit the app store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

stevieob wrote: »
    I just had a look at the Sum up website.

As a punter, if I bought something and was offered asked to put my card into a reader like that I'd be telling you where to go.........................................

That's just because it's a new enough product for Ireland. I was selling bus tours in Vancouver and had an iPhone with credit card swipper attachment. No-one batted an eyelid when I asked for their credit card.

Branoic wrote: »
    It requires a merchant account through Elavon, which is set up as part of the process for getting Mobile Merchant. The pricing I listed above covers the merchant account and device.

Doesn't that depend on the bank giving you a merchant account? I've found banks to be a bit sticky on this in the past, and there are a number of examples in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    That's just because it's a new enough product for Ireland. I was selling bus tours in Vancouver and had an iPhone with credit card swipper attachment. No-one batted an eyelid when I asked for their credit card.

A lot of people don't bat an eyelid full stop. I know there are a lot of phone apps in recent years that don't even read the card and are in no way PCI compliant etc, you just punch the number in and people still do it....... like eh hello!!!!

Doesn't that depend on the bank giving you a merchant account? I've found banks to be a bit sticky on this in the past, and there are a number of examples in this forum.

Not exactly. Banks don't do merchant accounts - they use acquirers like Elavon (BOI), Streamline (Ulster Bank) or First Data (AIB). The banks don't have anything to do with the accepting or declining of businesses for the merchant account, that's solely down to the underwritting criteria of individual acquirers. Also, you don't have to bank with a particular bank in order to use any of the above acquirers. They have partnerships with the banks, but they don't require your bank accounts to be held there, you can bank whereever.

So if you were applying for a merchant account for MobileMerchant, you'd be applying directly to Elavon.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭caddy2

Just wondering how those that are using SumUp are finding it? Any hitches? We would love to try it but would be worried for security for ourselves and our customers. As well, does it take up to 10 days to have the money in your account?
    Any general experiences of it would be great - good and bad
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I use syspay which is a similar service. I looked at sumup but all they had was a card swiper that you attach to a phone which I didn't fancy we have a bluetooth chip & pin pad. We receive payments inside a week (payments taken on a Monday we get on a Thursday and Tuesdays on a Friday etc) haven't had any major problems so far and any time I have contacted them with issues they have been super quick in fixing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Had a read through this thread a few weeks back and must have assumed that the Visa issue was sorted with SumUp. I got signed up, got an iPad especially for it and everything - just tried testing it using my own Visa there and nope, it's still not sorted. Does anyone have more info on this?

Really disappointed as I thought we were all ready to go, the mobile payment option just isn't good enough, I wouldn't be happy asking customers to follow that process. Surprised they haven't gotten it sorted yet given the popularity of Visa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Cianos wrote: »
    Had a read through this thread a few weeks back and must have assumed that the Visa issue was sorted with SumUp. I got signed up, got an iPad especially for it and everything - just tried testing it using my own Visa there and nope, it's still not sorted. Does anyone have more info on this?

Really disappointed as I thought we were all ready to go, the mobile payment option just isn't good enough, I wouldn't be happy asking customers to follow that process. Surprised they haven't gotten it sorted yet given the popularity of Visa.

Surprised its still not sorted seems a very strange move and would imagine its lost them a good few customers I know I took them out of the running as soon as I found out how Visa had to be done. I would suggest looking at syspay you get a chip & pin device and it takes Visa. We have been using them for almost a year now and I would recommend them to anyone the service has been top class.

Advertisement