Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunting the wren on stephens' day

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

The wren boys calling at the door on Stephens day is a yearly occurrence here in the part of north Tipp where I live, We never answer though.:D

Interesting how many people from North Tipp here ;)
    Hi neighbour

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

People I knew from school who did it door-to-door didn't give the money to charity anyway, and that's my only experience of it. It'd be a nice tradition if it was organised properly for a particular charity but around my way it's not unfortunately.

Of course they don't do it for charity. If you'd asked me to give away my wren boying money, I'd have told you where to go. Its like asking a kid to give away their halloween sweets.

Very common in Mayo and Roscommon, referred to as Wren-Boying. I have awful trouble explaining it to people from other parts of the country.

Oh and we didn't have any of this fancy trick or treating when I was growing up. Damn American tradition.

Pouca Pouca Halloween
    Nuts and apples for the queen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

chucken1 wrote: »
    Interesting how many people from North Tipp here ;)
    Hi neighbour
    Hush you.
    Get back across that bridge!

later10 wrote: »
    Hush you.

I was admiring the view :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

still done in co carlow ,for for a good cause my pocket , bit of fun excuse to dress up and look ga ..ga:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

later10 wrote: »
    Hush you.

Odd....we normally only see people being told to get back under bridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

They must have had mummers around here at some stage, maybe they're still about.

Advertisement