Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goodbye Lucy........

Options
  • 23-12-2011 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

So about 6 years a ago I set my heart on getting an english mastiff. We'd always had dogs at home as a child and really only felt that I was mature and secure in housing and relationship to look after a dog. At the time there was only one in the shelters and it had very large behavioural problems that I was sure i would not be able to cope with.

So after 6 months of researching the breed and breeders I found a guy in waterford who breed them and seemed a lot more knowledgeable then other so called breeders i'd visited. Me and my good wife took the journey down and he brought the litter on into us. There was this lovely male dog that came straight up to us and sat on my lap adn played with a slipper. He was lovely. In the corner there was what you'd call the runt of the litter (though i really dont think this applies to mastiff's). This cowardly dog trying it's hardest to fit under a couch and not be seen. it got it's head under but had this huge butt sticking out at us. Of course my wife feel in love with her instantly!!!!

6 weeks later I went back to pick her up. That night all the family came down and we settled on the name lucy. At the time my sister in law had a yorkie called tyson who gave lucy a nightmare time. Constantly jumping on her and some how managing to roll this giant puppy over. However it would not be long till lucy would exact her revenge.

Very quickly I developed a new shadow that funnily did not resemble mine at all!! For the first year Lucy followed me everywhere. In and out of the car. In and out of work. In and out of the toilet!!! Later that year my wife became pregnant. For the first 12 weeks she was so sick. But for that whole 9 months I completely lost my shadow. If ms racso lay on the couch Lucy would rest her big head on the bump. If i tried to kiss her it turned in a threesome as lucy would push and nudge her way in front of my wife.

I soon learned witth lucy that she loved playing football as much as I did. However her goal was to always pick the ball up in her mouth. Footballs had a very short life span in our house and I mean literally 5-10 min and she'd be walking around with a burst ball in her mouth. I discovered rugby balls were the way to go with.

For a giant breed she loved going for walks in the fields around me. Nothing gave her more pleasure then flyin up a field and back down to me especially if i decided to hide in the field and she had to find me. When the snow came it was like a dream come through for her especially if she could find bush's where the snow would fall on her as she went through.

Lucy was always a gentle/cowardly giant. Never once did she show aggresion towards visitors family members etc. She'd always hid or cower around the corner as the postman came and only when she saw him driving backout would she chase (slowly) backing at him. My saviour:D

By the age of 2 Lucy began to realise her size advantage and this was when tyson life became a little more difficult Lucy used to love going up to visit it him and carry on thier wrestling games.....if tyson did not want to come out that was tough lucy would pick him up and carry him out to start playin. Tyson never yelp'd in pain once.

The years were never kind to Lucy. By the age of 3 she had damaged her front paw which meant she was left with a permanent limp. At this stage she was weighing in at 60kg+. We started her on a diet so that waling would be easier for her. She also become very prone to bronchitis particularly during winter but these never stopped her lust for life.

In the last year she began to derteriorate dramatically but just before this time we had our second son. I think Lucy knew something. She was never up in his face or licking him etc. When noah starting walkin he seemed to have a huge fear of all dogs not just lucy. But she knew what to do she took it very slowly with him. She played with his brother to show him she was not scary. Then 4 weeks ago the break through came i went into the kitchen and there was noah petting lucy and feeding her a treat he'd got from the press. Since then he has not stopped talking to her about her.

Lucy got a condition called in laymans term nervous paralysis. Basically when walking she would not realise that she was walkin on her toes as opposed to the pad of her foot. This meant she'd cut down the nails and started cutting her toes. It is a degenerative decease so it started to affect her other paws too and the strength in her legs she also began to find it difficult to hold down food.

I knew her time would be short but was determined to keep her till after christmas. That was always our special time. She always got a pecial grooming on xmas eve and ate like a queen over this time and was even allowed into the "special room". It was my wifes only rule. We could go for walks a couple of times a day. In forests and fields and burst a few footballs and the Noah could sit on her back like my eldest used to when he was young. Nothing was gonna seperate us this christmas. So 2 weeks ago I went to the vet and got a course of antibiotics and steroids. These were going to perk her up and keep us going.

On tuesday i sat down on the kitchen floor and as usual Lucy came over for a cuddle and drool. As she lay on me and i rubbed her I felt bones where there was always rolls of fat. As i went to dress her paws she pulled them back, which she never did and just looked and me and licked my face. She knew her time had come and just needed me to know.

The next day we went to the vet and my god she was so brave though she had to be given I was balling like a baby. I really want to thank the vet and his assistant for the dignity and respect they showed us and for making it as easy as possible. I sat with her head on my lap for at least 15 minutes after she'd gone and they never came in to move us or rush us along.

Where ever you are lucy I just want to thank you. You did more for me then i ever did for you. I love you so much and miss my shadow.

I know your making sombody happy until we'll walk in forest's again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CTU_Agent

Hold on to those Beautiful memories, you have a given a great life to a wonderful pet.

It's very emotional, even more so this time of year...

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Im a grown man rasco and Im almost in tears. I have two german shepherds and I know what its like to love a dog like this. Sounds like ye gave Lucy a great life....lets hope she runs free ;o)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Wow, what a beautiful story. Im in tears here reading it. lucy sounds like a very special girl. Sleep tight lucy and run free at rainbow bridge xx

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭santasbird

That has to be the saddest thing I have ever read. Tears rolling down my face. Lucy sounds like a gentle giant and had a great life with you. I'm very sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cocokay

in tears at my desk...one of the nicest stories i've ever read. wish more people would realise how amazing dogs are. i feel for you Racso :( i know Christmas won't be the same and you will never replace Lucy but there are so many poor dogs who deserve someone as great as you to look after them...hopefully the pain will ease in time and you can give another dog a fabulous life like you gave Lucy x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

OP you are killing me, at my desk trying not to cry too much. She sounds like a fantastic dog and friend. Xx

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

That has to be the best & saddest story I've read in API, close to tears here

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

So sorry for your loss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I'm actually in tears!
    Beautiful story written from the heart
    So sorry for your loss OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭lucycat

Tears rolling down my face here in work for all to see. Poor, poor OP my heart is breaking for you right now. I hope you get through this Christmas, even though it wont be the same without Lucy and hopefully the thoughts of the amazing life you gave her will give you some comfort when you are missing her dreadfully.

I don't know where I heard this from, but ever since I heard it I firmly believe its true - when we pass away, every dog we ever had comes to greet us when we get behind the Pearly Gates so I just know Lucy will be waiting for you with a happy grin and a waggy tail.

Thinking of you and your family OP xxx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

So sorry for your loss, what a moving post, obviously meant a lot to you, sounds like she was a great and loyal companion.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭carleigh

RIP Lucy x

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

OP, I'm so sorry. Lucy (great name, very special to me too) sounds like the best pet and best friend you could ever have had. RIP. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

god damn.........onions.... sniff

Run free at the Rainbow Bridge Lucy

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

So sad, i'm in tears here. RIP Lucy. She was as blessed to have you as you were her and the patience she showed your young son will stay in his memory forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 marijame

This will be our first Christmas without our Milly who shared a lot of Lucy's characteristics, I found myself feeling grateful today that it wasn't snowing, she absolutely loved the snow, exactly as you have described, trust me the tears are flowing big time here, I know exactly how you feel and unless you've lost a dog, it's hard to understand how they manage to become so important to your family, your home and your heart. Lucy and Milly are running together now, free from pain at the Rainbow Bridge. So sorry for your loss x

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

beautiful written tribute to your four legged friend. am so sorry for ye and hope that the happy memories see ye through. i know what it is like. i am in tears here. rip lucy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I had a Lucy too - she died over 15 years ago, was a big big character, and I've just got my first dog since her. Your post caused a few tears here too, she was a lucky dog to be so loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

That was beautiful post OP and made me cry! RIP Lucy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

So sorry for your loss OP She sounds like such a wonderful girl RIP Lucy xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Beautiful post,Im so sorry for your loss but dont think there could be a better loved pooch:).Sleep tight Lucy and say hi to Bruno at the bridge xxxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Wow OP that's such a moving post. Sitting here crying. I'm so sorry for your loss. R.I.P. Lucy. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

Well I'm in bits...

Went through it a few times with family dogs, but I've got my own first dog snorting beside me at the moment. When the day comes, as god is my witness, I'll have the entire country wearing a black armband.

Enjoy the memories and be happy you shared some life together mate. The cruellest joke of all is that turtles live to 100 and dogs are lucky to hit 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Well written OP thanks for taking the time to share your story.

I have been there wore the tshirt on four occasions I'm now on my 5th dog he is 3yrs old sometimes I wonder is all the heeartache when they pass worth it. :(

But of course it is my life would be incomplete without a dog by my side every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I am so sorry for your loss, OP. I'm in tears here. She was a beautiful dog, and her friendship and gentleness was no doubt the best gift she could give your children.

I'm so glad that she got to be a part of your family for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

RIP big doggie. Would love to see a picture of Lucy.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Thanks for sharing that - even if it has me in tears.

I like to think that just to the side rainbow bridge there is a cosy wee bar and my lost woofer is sitting at my Dad's feet while he samples a pint of plain. Well its my idea of heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

A few tears just ran down my cheek :(.

R.I.P. Lucy. A beautiful story. It's always painful to let them go :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

The hardest part about bringing a dog into your life is that they seem to leave it again too quickly.
    Too few dogs get to experience the loving life Lucy got to experience and for that you should be proud.
    Just think of her running free now, no limp, no sore paws, she is at peace waiting for her friend to join her on walks again one day x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Hi all,

Just wanted to say thank you so much for all your kind words and well wish's. They really mean alot to me.
    For those of you that shed a tear i'm really sorry.

Advertisement