Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite survivalism related films

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

What about 'Tunnel in the Sky' a fav book of mine from Robert Heinlein. Not sure if you could call it survival, well it is, but on another planet. Fun though. Would love to see the course in the book become a Transition year option.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Jericho

A TV series that could easily have failed but it worked fantastically

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Jericho

A TV series that could easily have failed but it worked fantastically

I see they have the whole series on Netflix which is just launched in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,077 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Watch it for free here. tube plus.com;)
    First season was brilliant,second [post NUTS] was slapped together and became more milita orientated.Alot could have been done with that seris.

Contagion is worth watching as to how somthing like this can spread dementedly fast.
    But it is spoiled by the usual "Dont worry the Govts will save the day in the nick of time..You have nothing to worry about! Get back to consuming!!" Might be a start if they could sort out the current Global crisis of ginormus financial FK up!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    But it is spoiled by the usual "Dont worry the Govts will save the day in the nick of time..You have nothing to worry about! Get back to consuming!!" Might be a start if they could sort out the current Global crisis of ginormus financial FK up!
    Generally speaking I'd agree with you, there's nothing like an international committee run mish mash of agendas and protocols to make a shambles of just about anything, but the disease control mechanisms really are a well oiled machine. There's a good video on youtube about just how fast vectors were isolated in the last bird flu scare, all the usual crap gets left by the wayside.

Nobody
    messes around with that stuff. And with good reason.

Still, its only a matter of time really.

More a urine extraction/satire and based on a conspircy theories,or little awkward unpleasent historic bits of factual info that dont fit in our history books ..
    That in 1945 the Germans had developed an alternative power source and a flying saucer type vechicle.Which is quite proable on the flying saucer,[Google the Hunebau UFO project]as they were literally in thinking 10 plus years ahead of the Allies in aircraft designs,and on a few other things as well.
    Anyways the story goes that the remaining Nazis and their scientists fled to a base in Antartica[more circumstantial evidence does exist to this story as well],and from there left to the darkside of the Moon to form a colony called,predictably... New Berlin...
    Anyways, now they are coming back,and they are a tad bit peed off!!:D

Not to be taken very seriously,but a good kind of "what if " thinker plot.

www.ironsky.net

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Zombie TV show, but resource limitations and what not feature prominently. Probably the best show on TV at the moment IMO: The Walking Dead.

Forgot about these two completely.
    Walther Matthau and Robin Williams...A 80s[1984] urine extraction of the survivalist movement:rolleyes:[What else would be new in 80s survivalist movies?].
    Didnt really show up much on this side of the pond...But worth a laugh if you like Robin Williams type humour..

And of course..
    Red Dawn!:D:rolleyes:
    Russia and Mexico invade Colarado!!Well the way the sthn US border is these days,the Mexicans proably could!:eek:

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    Zombie TV show, but resource limitations and what not feature prominently. Probably the best show on TV at the moment IMO: The Walking Dead.
    Love that show, its kinda started wandering lately though, with them being stuck on the farm for weeks. There are a lot of good zombie movies with potential for survival entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Yeah agree with you there, cant wait for it to come back in feb, another one im lookin forward to coming back is falling skys, another show about surviving but with aliens!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Don't you think it has been done to death though?

Perhaps it's an age thing but after seeing early black n' white zombie horror films then the cult "Zombie flesh eaters" and "Dawn of the dead" in 1980 and the dross copies that followed afterwards.........how much more can someone watch?:eek:

Na i love zombi and alien stuff!

Aliens?

Well besides the obvious Sig Weaver films

Try "U.F.O." Excellent TV series much ahead of it's time from around 1969-1970.

Also an Alien TV series from the states called the "Invaders" very original and very much worth watching from the early 1960's.

Of course "War Of The Worlds" from the 1950's.

"The Thing" remake of 1950's film made in 1982.

"Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" another 1950's remake made in 1978.

Iv seen a few of them and have to admid they did nothing for me, for me ya cant beat a modern film with some cgi and proper action! Your prob right about the age thing, im 26 so guessin you might be a small bit older ??? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

One I can remember as a kid and even then it had been around for quite a few years also a documentary and not fiction. Spotted the DVD a couple of years ago so bought it and it was just as good as I remembered.

So I give you the Academy Award Winner for Best Documentary 1951

KON-TIKI - Thor Heyerdahl

Now if that isn't a survival movie I don't know what is :eek::confused:

Also have and can recommend another B/W classic Man of Aran it was a bit contrived, I'd call it a psuedodocumentary, but what do you expect for a film made in 1934.

Wel seeing we are going back to biblical flood times...
    How about "The Prisoner" starring Patrick Mac Goohan?:D
    Have it all in that,resistance on a personal leverl,overbearing state control,mind alteration,60's social commentary,philisophy,etc.
    The line is still classic.

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own!
    I am not a number! I am a free man!

Been really enjoying The Colony that was recommended earlier in the thread. Really interesting to see how the two most important people by a stretch are the handyman and the engineer. Towards the end they're purifying their water with
    a tesla coil
    ! Genius!

Some very interesting stuff on it.
    another show about surviving but with aliens!!

Yeah, I got into that then fell out of love with it. Started watching Terra Nova instead. I'll probably give it another lash. I've been stringing out my episodes of The Walking Dead. Still have one left before it starts back in February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

krissovo wrote: »
    I prefer military escape and evasion type movies or survival with a purpose and escape rather than true wilderness survival. This may influence my favorites.
    Surviving the Game [94] Rutger Hauer, Ice-T, Charles S. Dutton, Gary Busey, F. Murray Abraham, John C. McGinley, if you haven't already seen it, would be up your street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Will be interesting to see how well The Grey is executed.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure I can take anything where wolves attack people seriously :confused:

I'm not sure I can take anything where wolves attack people seriously :confused:

:D:D

Born on the 25th December and howling at the moon but can only be killed by a silver bullet:D

Has there ever been a recorded case where wolves have attacked people?....What's the time Mr Wolf?

fodda wrote: »
    :D:D

Born on the 25th December and howling at the moon but can only be killed by a silver bullet:D

Has there ever been a recorded case where wolves have attacked people?....What's the time Mr Wolf?

Google Wolf attacks alaska for relevant recent info seems like only 2 in recored history there, in other areas where there have been more recorded wolf attacks either the wolves have got used to living near humans and or the targets have been small (children) or women.

Polar bears might be a bit more realistic, they actively seek out, stalk, and kill humans. They're pretty successful at it too, being able to get very close without being noticed.

Google Wolf attacks alaska for relevant recent info seems like only 2 in recored history there, in other areas where there have been more recorded wolf attacks either the wolves have got used to living near humans and or the targets have been small (children) or women.

I didnt think there were many if any at all...........probably more people befriended by them or some children claim to have been reared by them.

Legend of The founding twins of the Roman empire Romulus and Remus were supposedly found and raised by a wolf.There is a story of two children bein found in the 19th century that had been running wild with a wolf pack.You have bunches of by now of scientists and whatnot that have lived up close and personal with wolf packs ...So it is quite possible to live with the wolf..I'd say alot of the bad rap the wolf got was from the nordic legends. The Firnis wulf Was the Vikings belif of the apocalypse and evil in the wolf of darkness would devour the world and light would never return
    The Vrewolf which became our Werewolf was actually a Germanic punishment of driving out from the tribe a miscreant to go and literally live with the wolves.So again it is quite possible that the outcast became and was adapted by a wolf pack to become a wild half man half wolf looking creature.
    Maybe in primitive times or before written history,maybe a child or old woman or whatever was killed by a wolf pack,or a rabid pack did attack a settlement,and the story was embellished and became part of our culture??But whatver it is Man does seem to have a love hate relationship with the wolf.Seeing his best friend,the dog is a decendant from the wolf,there really is no need to fear this wonderful animal.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Into the wild

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Zombie flicks to be honest!

Trouble there is just so much you can do with the risen dead theme ...

Dead rise,by whatever means,start lunching down on the living,who become dead themselves ,or are the main course in many gory ways.Society collapses,few human survivors hide out in various different locations,tooled and fuelled up to fight off the undead,who eventually overrun the super fortress in many a stupid or dramatic fashion,leaving fewer humans to flee for sanctury somplace else,or go in search of more humans somplace else,or finding one particular human who is a fammily member or brilliant scientist who can cure this or the cavalry comes over the hill in the last moment to banish the undead..Roll credits.
    Be it ,night,dawn,day,lunchtime,afternoon,evening,teatime,dinnertime,of the living dead.The script is pretty much the same,with multiple variations.

Zombie wolf flicks..Now that would be a new twist!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Trouble there is just so much you can do with the risen dead theme ...

Thanks, you just killed the plot of every zombie movie I loved:(

I am reading some cool books which have a different twist to the normal plot lines. White flag of the dead is a positive slant with a focus after the first book of taking the world back bit by bit, I also have high hopes of the World War Z movie. Public enemy zero is also another very different slant where the scent of a single man turns people near him temporarily while his scent is around into crazed people trying to kill him.

One problem is budget, not many high budget zombie flicks around. Aliens and monsters seam to draw the big budgets despite the dead rising being the most popular.

• Advertisement

Zombie wolf flicks..Now that would be a new twist!:D

The Resident Evil franchise always manage to fit in zombie dogs, can't remember RE 1 but the 2 Zombie Doberman in Resident Evil 2 were scary.

krissovo wrote: »
    One problem is budget, not many high budget zombie flicks around. Aliens and monsters seam to draw the big budgets despite the dead rising being the most popular.
    Thats the beauty of them! I was thinking about running off a zombie short myself as I have the gear already... :D

I'd say there's a close link between the appeal of zombie movies and survivalism/preparedness in general, which is why even FEMA was using them to draw attention to the issues. There are a lot of themes involved, like the aforementioned fortress scenario, but also human interaction under stress (its been said that the movies are more about this than zombies), surviving on the road, airplane ones, island ones, even directly survivalism related ones like Vanguard. And only rarely do the humans win! :D
    The Resident Evil franchise always manage to fit in zombie dogs, can't remember RE 1 but the 2 Zombie Doberman in Resident Evil 2 were scary.
    Yeah they were in 1 alright, broken out of the security cages...

Unfortunately due to the popularity of the twilight movies (with 12 year old girls) and camping up vampires and werewolves, they've started this rubbish with zombies too!

Great...PC vampires and equality rights for Zombies...
    One to beam up Scotty!! This planet is a hopeless case!!!:D

About the most original of the genere I've read in a long time was Shaun Hutsons ..Erebus.
    A horror/splatter novel that could be actually made into a decent low budget Channel 4 type effort,the creatures ar more like vampires than zombies and are infected with Coraphylia[?] sic .Off the top of the head..It is a blood disease that infects somthing like 1 in 200k of people,and the sympthoms are remarkably vampiric.Fear and intense pain of bright light,even skin blistering,lethargy,anemic,desire for fresh raw meat or blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Off the top of the head..It is a blood disease that infects somthing like 1 in 200k of people,and the sympthoms are remarkably vampiric.Fear and intense pain of bright light,even skin blistering,lethargy,anemic,desire for fresh raw meat or blood.

The latest book I am reading "A New World" has similar beasts to that book. In this case its a genetic reaction to a vaccine for a flu virus that was killing 20% of the world population that was rush into production. Only 1% were immune and come dark hours "Night runners" rule.

Just watched this....I'd advise you watch it on (Mod edit) ******* or somthing of the like for free.As you will kick yourselves if you go and pay your good money to watch this "disaster " of a film.:(
    It is an absolute Turkey!!! All the best bits are in the trailer!!
    Liam Neeson does a good role for a part that must have been an embarrassment for his skills.
    The whole film is a clanger of DO NOT DO in a survival situation type moves.Everything from abandoning the plane wreck to stupid high wire acts with homemade rope over ravines to what not to do once you have landed in a freezing river.:rolleyes:
    TBH the wolves were doing us humans a favour that they ate such a bunch of losers and idiots.
    The ending,well,if you are a great friend of "the Sopranos" endings[Just as about as it is finally about to be intresting the screen goes black for 20 secs and the credits roll...] You 'll enjoy the ending.

Grizzs verdict 3/10.Watch it for free ,if you must and save the movie DVD rental for somthing useful.

Gah. I had high hopes for it. It scores really well on IMDB too. Is it just a case that you couldn't suspend your disbelief?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

[Survivors]...Didnt really show up much on this side of the pond...But worth a laugh if you like Robin Williams type humour..

Actually it did, they did a uk remake of it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1258189/

I really enjoyed it, plus it was funny to see Johnson from peep show in a serious role.

Peetrik wrote: »
    Actually it did, they did a uk remake of it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1258189/

I really enjoyed it, plus it was funny to see Johnson from peep show in a serious role.

Loved that show. Cancelled on a cliff hanger. Bastards.

• Advertisement

Only caught a couple of episodes of this during the recent late night reruns. Must keep an eye out for a boxset or D/L

Short answer...NO!:( the whole thing s implausable from start to finish.Maybe if you have lived under a rock for the last decadeand never heard anythinfg about aircraft survival,nature conservation in the 50 states of America..Neeson plays a paid Wolf hunter for an oil company !!!Wonder how long they would have drilling rights if it was found out they were employing people to shoot wolves??

A jet goes down in Alaskan airspace,and no one wonders WTF happened?
    As one chacter says immediately,how much the company will cash in on their life insurance cheques!No one is going to bother look for them..:(
    Apart from Alaska having some of the highest radar coverage for stuff sneaking in over the pole with a possible nuke tip,it is a jet from some supposed milk run route.Not some one man bush pilot operation.
    Funny too,Neeson stuffing a rifle and shotgun in an overhead luggage bin!:rolleyes:Lets not even go to the idea of taking shotgun cartridges and converting them to wolf bang sticks,without any suitable pipe to contain the pressure...
    I could go on,but its just too painful.Watch it yourselves.
    Am going to watch
    Collapse and Take shelter tonight ,let you know if they are any better.I hope.

An upcoming post-apoc show is being pitched by JJ Abrams (Producer for: Cloverfield, Lost, Star Trek Movie, Super 8, Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Fringe and more)
    "In this epic adventure thriller, a family struggles to reunite in a post-apocalyptic American landscape: a world of empty cities, local militias and heroic freedom fighters, where every single piece of technology — computers, planes, cars, phones, even lights — has mysteriously blacked out … forever."

Loved that show. Cancelled on a cliff hanger. Bastards.

Yeah, such a shame, not as bad as how 'The Sarah Connor chronicles' ended but still pretty.... cliffhangery (I should really learn some more words).

The show 'Carnivale', while not in a 'post apocalyptic' setting could definitely be described as postlapsarian... not sure if that counts but great show all the same.

Err..No..There is a confusion of "survivors " here!:D
    There is a 1970s seris from the BBC Called "Survivors" That went on for four seasons and was exellent,as it did throw the survivors of a post manmade plauge Britan various challanges and ultimately a new nation.That is well worth watching.And beats the new one hands down still.http://www.survivorstvseries.com/index2.htm

The recent remake[09/10?] of" Survivors"
    [with whats his head from peep show],was a mess!!It was trying to ape the originaland cram the stories with more modern PC settings and problems,and failed totally.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivors_(2008_TV_series)
    Suggest you watch the 1st BBC season then watch the new version and you will see what I'm on about.

The Survivors you are getting mixed up with
    Is a 1983 FILM with Walther Matthau and Robin Williams!!! It is a spoof of the survivalist movement in the 1980s.And a complete turkey as well.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Survivors_(1983_film)

Ah ok sorry Grizzly, there are too many survivors obviously (wince).

I'll be sure to check out the earlier version if I can find it although I have to admit to being racist against any shows/films (and books) made before 1990, I just find them really hard going.

• Advertisement

Ah ok sorry Grizzly, there are too many survivors obviously (wince).

I'll be sure to check out the earlier version if I can find it although I have to admit to being racist against any shows/films (and books) made before 1990, I just find them really hard going.

Racist ???? you mean bias ?........or you dont like black & white films ?:D:D

I have to admit to being racist against any shows/films (and books) made before 1990, I just find them really hard going.

Yep, same here. I find it very difficult to convince myself to watch anything pre-1990. I tried watching that movie On The Beach that was recommended in this thread. Had to turn it off after half an hour. The flippin' stupidity of people in it did my head in.

edit: In other exciting news, I finished two seasons of The Colony which was also recommended in this thread. Very much enjoyed that. Mostly from seeing the creativity that came out of necessity.

An upcoming post-apoc show is being pitched by JJ Abrams (Producer for: Cloverfield, Lost, Star Trek Movie, Super 8, Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Fringe and more)
    Please please please let that happen! The world after Snake Plissken...

fodda wrote: »
    Racist ???? you mean bias ?........or you dont like black & white films ?biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Haha I ment it as an Ali G kind of 'racialist' (purposeful misuse for comic effect), but yeah I'm not keen on black and white films either.
    Yep, same here. I find it very difficult to convince myself to watch anything pre-1990.

I know, no matter how much of a 'classic' it is, its going to be tough going lol

Ah! You young whipper snappers of today!!!Back in the days of the proper Telly.The ones with VALVES and things in them that you had to let warm up for a half hour before anything happened.THAT was TV!! None of yer fancy remote yokes!!Ye had to get up off your arse and use your hand to turn a DIAL!! to get RTE 2!! Thats all we had down here unlike ye posh lot up on the east coast with your free BBC!!
    T'was work watching the Telly in my day I can assure ye...:D
    My dad said it was great as he caught up with all the films he missed as a kid in the 1930s and40s,RTE screened them all the time!!!:eek::D

Anyways go and force yourselves to watch survivors on youtube! It is in 20 min segments,so you can recover and actually appreciate some vintage original classic TV.Not this rehashed modern rubbish based on classics.
    Kids these days!!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement