Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why an afterlife/soul may not be so crazy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

As with all these things: what's the point in speculating about something we can never detect or interact with? The existence of an afterlife would do me absolutely no good whatsoever in this life.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

"life is what happens to u while ur busy making other plans."

john lennon.

ill get in on this when i get a chance. good questions being asked...lets keep it in the spirit of possibilities rather than whose right or wrong.

exploration might serve us all equally.

hope to get back soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

mickrock wrote: »
    Large quantities of DMT are released during major physical or psychological stress and, it is thought, during the process of dying.

Instead of merely producing hallucinations during a near-death experience, as you suggest, DMT may lift the body's natural inhibitions against experiencing an enhanced consciousness.

Why would the body have inhibitions against experiencing enhanced consciousness. What evolutionary advantage would that provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Large quantities of DMT are released during major physical or psychological stress and, it is thought, during the process of dying.

Instead of merely producing hallucinations during a near-death experience, as you suggest, DMT may lift the body's natural inhibitions against experiencing an enhanced consciousness.

Hang on, i thought the consciousness was outside the body...so i fail to see why the limitations of the body would affect it.

Unless we are looking at a square peg, round hole scenario in which case i would state that our consciousness is clearly not very smart to need a physical avatar which severely limits it's experience.

just a quick reply about consciousness.

who said it was " ours"?

who is the tyrant making the claim on it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭soterpisc

Zombrex wrote: »
    I could literally feel my brain getting dumber as I read that.

The argument is basically TV's have external source inputs, so if (for absolutely no reason at all) we assume that the brain is like a TV, then it stands to reason that the brain also has external source inputs.

In other news it turns out that the idea that the Moon is made of cheese is not so crazy after all. Let me explain

Cheese has a hard lining on the outside where the material is exposed to the air, and then in the middle where there is no air it is soft and mussy.

Now lets, for absolutely no reason at all, imagine that the moon was like cheese. Now when man kind examined the crust they found it was hard. It stands to reason then that the Moon also has a soft creamy centre since we know the Moon is like a ball of cheese (and by "know" I mean assumed this was the case for absolutely no reason).

Look Science can't fully explain basics like matter. There are still lots of question marks around subatomic structures.. And you think a post about the complexity of out mind is crazy?? We will have a long way to go to understand consciousness.

would a nonlocal consciousness...depend on evolution?

or would evolution depend on it?

and whats the difference between local and nonlocal consciousness?

soterpisc wrote: »
    Look Science can't fully explain basics like matter. There are still lots of question marks around subatomic structures..

And.....?
    And you think a post about the complexity of out mind is crazy??

I don't know what "out mind" is, but I think a post that uses its own analogy to support its position is crazy (if we assume the mind is like a TV then it stands to reason that the mind will be like a TV....QED mo-fo).

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    would a nonlocal consciousness...depend on evolution?

or would evolution depend on it?

Non-local consciousness would depend on it. I would be very interested in anyone who believes the brain is not solely responsible for the production of the mind explaining how we evolved a "mind" external to our own bodies.
    and whats the difference between local and nonlocal consciousness?

In the sense that it is being used I think they mean produced by the brain vs something external to the brain (and the rest of the human body one assumes).

hi zom,

what does nonlocal mean?

what is the sense that it is being "used"?

• Advertisement

hi zom,

what does nonlocal mean?

what is the sense that it is being used?

Ok .... lets try this again :)

In the sense that it is being used I think they mean produced by the brain vs something external to the brain (and the rest of the human body one assumes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Look Science can't fully explain basics like matter. There are still lots of question marks around subatomic structures.. And you think a post about the complexity of out mind is crazy?? We will have a long way to go to understand consciousness.

And as we all know, the best way to understand something is to pull baseless theories out of the sky!

hi zom,

not playing with ya. thx for ur reply.

ill ask again

what does non local mean.

thx for ur smiley...i wish i wasnt so computer illiterate

i would have started and ended this post with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Just because being in the physical body under normal circumstances seems to put a limit on consciousness doesn't mean that consciousness isn't ultimately nonlocal.
    So if it behaves exactly as if it wasn't non-local or as if it's totally dependant on biology, and that none of the silliness claimed in the article has actually been verified, why should we take the notion at all seriously?

And if the body is somehow made to limit stuff, why does the eye behave exactly as if it's the source for vision?
    And since without the lens or retina's or other stuff we need to see, by what mechanism does the separated conciousness detect light as our eye does?

So then, if we give DMT to blind people they would suddenly be able to see?

And why if the conciousness is separate, why would DMT have an effect on it at all?

can nonlocal consciousness behave as if it was anything other than it is?

can nonlocal consciousness behave as if it was anything other than it is?
    I don't know, but the OP is claiming that it behaves pretty much like normal conciousness.

ill ask again

Given that the question has been answered (twice in fact) perhaps you can expand on the question and what precisely you are asking, since there is clearly some misunderstanding take place either on my part or yours.

Do you mean what do the words "non-local" mean in a general sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

ill ask again

Well I thought his description was pretty good but to put it another way. 'Non local' consciousness in the context being discussed in the OP means conciousness that is originating from somewhere that is not the brain.

So to use the awful TV analogy from the OP. If you are watching the All Ireland Final on a TV, it is not originating in the TV. It is originating in Croke Park, and the signal is being received by (the aerial on) your TV. So in terms of 'non local' conciousness, conciousness is originating from somewhere else and your brain is just acting as the TV aerial that is receiving the signal...

God, it really is an awful analogy...

Where as 'local' (awful terminology too) would mean that conciousness is actually originating in/from your brain.

o.k ill expand.

can the brain be separate from nonlocal consciousness?

how would a physicist describe nonlocal consciousness?

as none here are physicists...lets give the o.p. a break for opening an interesting topic..

cos ill tell ya something guys...i could have played ya on this one...

the way ya played the o.p.

but it strikes me as mean. for the sake of meaness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Really? No physicists?

• Advertisement

no sarky physicists anyhow...they tend to have a bit of class.

as none here are physicists...lets give the o.p. a break for opening an interesting topic..

Um.. I am.

And a physicist would not describe a non-local conciousness as anything as the idea is kinda stupid.

give us your description so k.m.

and whats " a " nonlocal consciousness?

can the brain be separate from nonlocal consciousness?

Well anything is possible, but at the moment there is no evidence suggesting it is and a lot of reasons to suppose it isn't coming from evolutionary biology and physics.
    They wouldn't. Physicists describe observed phenomena. There is no observed phenomena that requires the explanation of non-local consciousness.

Non-local consciousness is a concept that either comes from religion with the view as the essence of a person is contained in their soul/spirit, or from new age superstition which supposes that there is some form of undetectable energy wave (or something, details are fuzzy) where our consciousness exists.

Needless to say there is no support for either of these ideas. In fact the only scientific bit in any of this is the Theory of Mind, which supposes that humans have evolved a tendency to think of a person independently to their physical body (this allows us to imagine for example what someone is doing when we cannot directly see them), which has lead to the idea in humans that the mind must some how be seperate to the body, an idea that has found very little support when it came to actually looking at the brain.

You don't have to be a physicists to see the flaws in the logic presented in the article the OP linked to.
    cos ill tell ya something guys...i could have played ya on this one...

the way ya played the o.p.

but it strikes me as mean. for the sake of meaness.

Sorry, you could have played us on what exactly?

mean boards guys. you let yourselves down sometimes. u deserve every kick up the behind u get.

and so many decent folks here.

clear off...or clean up ur act.

i can handle ya...but think for others.

mean boards guys. you let yourselves down sometimes. u deserve every kick up the behind u get.

and so many decent folks here.

clear off...or clear up ur act.

i can handle ya...but think for others.

Yeah, maybe come back to us when you aren't drunk ...

^^^^^^^^^^^^

proof positive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Well you aren't exactly making an awful lot of sense. Coherent sentences really are the way forward.

ive asked mostly questions here sarky. i think most have understood the questions ...and blame me for their lack of answers.

but hey...go to the religious forums were they get castigated for not showing up to the cleverness of some here.their faith is somehow lesser than urs.

ive posted links...ive stood up for the lone guy...ive stood against accusations of drunkeness...ive even ignored the debunk debunk debunk mantra of some on other threads

but hey...ill stand alone....u debunk my last post on the origin of the species nonsense...

great with a crowd around ya...and a gallery to play to...

get a laugh . badger and cajole.. no space or respect for another.

if only we all had ur brains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

The theory is an attempt to explain the so called hard problem of consciousness.

I think this theory tries to explain it in terms of consciousness existing separately from the brain. The brain simply tunes in consciousness. So with the OBE example the persons brain is not functioning but they are having experiences because they don't need a brain to have experiences. Consciousness not residing in the brain is what is meant by non-local.

It is in response to the failure of science that tries to explain things under a mind/brain identity theory. That is, the mind has a one-to-one correspondence with brain states. The failure is that qualitative experience looks and feels nothing like neural network firing. The taste of orange juice is qualitatively distinct to a description of brain activity.

I don't think the non-local consciousness does much to solve this problem. The definition of consciousness is too loose. Take the example of blind sight or split brain patients. These people are unable to report on visual stimuli but exhibit behaviour as if they have seen. So with blind sight, a man can navigate a corridor, but will report that he can't see at all. So the question is, can you have conssciousness that you aren't aware of?

Interesting article anyway. Morphic field theory is another one that's similar. Unfortunately I haven't kept up to date on the consciousness debate. :o

Advertisement