Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late for work

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

TheZohan wrote: »
    Aids, not HIV but full blown Aids.

The two blokes living next door to me have AIDS.

One has a hearing Aid, the other a walking Aid!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

THE FEAR

There, there now Mark, it's ok. Three o clock is a hard time for alot of us but
    Bosco has been off the telly now with years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If it makes anyone feel better my Xmas holliers start in 24 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Is there any feeling in the world worse than that sinking panicky feeling of, crap I'm late for work. Esp when it's an hour our more journey to get there?

Yes, lots.
    You've led a sheltered existence (not to mention a severe lack of imagination) if this is the worst feeling you can think of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Is there any feeling in the world worse than that sinking panicky feeling of, crap I'm late for work. Esp when it's an hour our more journey to get there?

You walked in late and now you're spending your time posting on an internet forum, that's just taking the p1ss :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

really?

Ya, I once dumped a live database thinking it was a development one.

I was 2 or 3 months into my 6 month trial period.

Still got the job :pac:

Edit - If I recall correctly it was actually my bad code that dumped the DB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Seachmall wrote: »
    Ya, I once dumped a live database thinking it was a development one.

I was 2 or 3 months into my 6 month trial period.

Still got the job :pac:

My old boss refereed to those incidents as CLMs (career limiting mistakes)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Shiner11

jester77 wrote: »
    Getting a phone call in the middle of the night and seeing that it is from someone in your family

Or arriving home to see a member of your family at home before you are and they are never ever home before you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If it makes anyone feel better my Xmas holliers start in 24 minutes.

I started my Christmas holidays last Wednesday, then got bored & went back to the office on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

seamus wrote: »
    Anyone who works in IT will know that sinking feeling when you press the wrong button and see hundreds of peoples' stuff delete/crash/shut down before your eyes and you can't stop it.

Nothing like it.

You make it sound like something in the movies. This doesn't exist. Especially if you know what you're doing :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Sykk wrote: »
    You make it sound like something in the movies. This doesn't exist. Especially if you know what you're doing :confused:

I managed to shut down an entire network of 200~ people :eek:
    All that caused it was a looping Ethernet cable in a router, so yeah it can happen!

Luckily I was working in the public sector so knowbody noticed anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

realising youve dipped your penis in a bucket of aids infected blood is worse

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's when you know what you're doing that you're most likely to make the mistakes in the first place. Maybe in your head you're imagining scenarios where an entire city loses power and people die and stuff.

I'm talking more about issuing "DELETE FROM someTable" commands, without putting in any restrictions (it deletes the entire table), or accidentally shutting off power to the entire building and causing 300 people to lose half a day's work.

I have done both of these things. Though in the latter case I blamed most of them for doing half a day's work and not saving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Once was woken up after a few hours sleep, extremely hungover, by a colleague telling me I was late to work (I was his replacement). Ran out the door in a haze, slipped on the muddy slope of grass in the garden, in the rain. Contemplated just staying there behind the hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

When you're being rushed to get an update completed within a ridiculous time frame it can easily happen, particularly when inexperienced.

Advertisement