Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Study: Slim people are smarter than fat people.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Broads.ie wrote: »
    OP, have you been overeating?

Seriously though, can you name one obese genius? If you can think of one I will send you €70,000 by paypal.
    Eddie Murphy in The Nutty Professor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I know fat people who were once skiny, and vice versa. Did their intelligence level alternate as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

aaronh007 wrote: »
    ^^^^ Stephen Fry?

What qualified Stephen Fry as a genius??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

Pavarotti

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I suppose it stands to reason that carrying ten or twenty extra kilos around 24/7 is not the smartest thing to do if you can avoid it. Ergo, smart people generally keep their weight in check, while the dumber ones do not. That, of course, is speaking in averages and does not take account of people who are quite smart, but suffer from metabolic or glandular problems that make it difficult for them to control their weight. Or of dumb ones who are just lucky.:):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Didn't think a thread about fatties being stupid would go down well on an internet discussion forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I love how the thread title makes one claim, but the article it links to says absolutely nothing like it.

The article claims that obesity accelerates brain aging and low calorie diets may improve cognitive function. That has nothing to do with intelligence.

Fat people in "die younger" shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,900 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Broads.ie wrote: »
    Seriously though, can you name one obese genius? If you can think of one I will send you €70,000 by paypal.

Peter Ustinov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

mconigol wrote: »
    What qualified Stephen Fry as a genius??? :confused:

I don't get this either. Yes, he's well educated, but the questions and answers he gives on QI are not his own - they come from a large team of researchers, and a lot of the stuff he writes about is simply re-hashed versions of opinions from his favourite authors.

The only thing genius about Stephen Fry is his ability to make people believe that he is more intelligent than he actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Steve Wozniak... Case closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

You fail at reading comprehension OP.
    The study claims that caloric restriction increases cognitive function, it says nothing about body fat. I eat like a horse and I'm quite lean. Conversely I know people who are obese that eat relatively little

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Broads.ie

aaronh007 wrote: »
    ^^^^ Stephen Fry?

Since when is he obese? I would classify his weight as "grand" for his age.

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    You fail at reading comprehension OP.
    The study claims that caloric restriction increases cognitive function, it says nothing about body fat. I eat like a horse and I'm quite lean. Conversely I know people who are obese that eat relatively little

From the article: "Typically, caloric-restricted mice do not become obese and don't develop diabetes; moreover they show greater cognitive performance and memory, are less aggressive."

o·bese/ōˈbēs/

Adjective: Grossly fat or overweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Peter Jackson, he is a genius donchaknow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Obviously they are stupid, why else would they be fat? :rolleyes:

Being fat has no benefits and loads of well documented negatives.

Would be interesting to see if the IQ gap between races is also correlated to any variation between average BMI to further corroborate this study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

A military genius?.....Not really, he merely copied German blitzkrieg tactics during the Gulf War. Hence the name - ‘Stormin' Norman’.

Yes and who was the first to use blietzkrieg tactics??The vikings.
    And Norman Schwarzkopf used a combination of many tactics,not only blietzkrieg,he had also studied Alexander the greats tactics amongst many.;)

And Norman Schwarzkopf used a combination of many tactics,not only blietzkrieg,

I thought he was just a hairdresser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Mousey- wrote: »
    Obviously if somone is thick enough to eat until they are phiysicaly unable to move they are missing somthing up there!
    *taps head*

Your an idiot.

Adolf Hitler was a good painter too

Adolf Hitler was a good painter too

You think he'd have had a handyman for that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It cannot be true, if anything, I've become more of an idiot now than when I was obese. :(

• Advertisement

You think he'd have had a handyman for that sort of thing.

He did he had alot of "handymen" later in his carriere:D:D:D:D
    But as most dictators he wouldnt listen to any of his Generals,and it ended up with his downfall;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

That was wasted here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Listen,I'm a fat lad and just let me tel yoo,i'm not thic or anythink like that,i'm verry gud at typing tho my chubby fingers sumtimes get stuck in the keyb[uiiu[vf[[dsuduhn[uie..

damn you to hell fat gene....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,900 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

cgarrad wrote: »
    Obviously they are stupid, why else would they be fat? :rolleyes:

Being fat has no benefits and loads of well documented negatives.

It has benefits for the elderly. They can live longer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8483456.stm
    Moderately overweight elderly people may live longer than those of normal weight, an Australian study suggests.
    But being very overweight or being underweight shortened lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I must be the king of brains, so..

2+2 is................Doh!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Caloric restriction means the animals can only eat up to 70 percent of the food they consume

*head explodes*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Saila wrote: »
    *head explodes*

lol, agreed.

I love when people clearly have no ****ing idea as to what they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

lol, agreed.

I love when people clearly have no ****ing idea as to what they are talking about.

Fat people?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

So if a fat person is less intelligent that a skinny person, would eating a skinny person make the fat person more intelligent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

I don't get this either. Yes, he's well educated, but the questions and answers he gives on QI are not his own - they come from a large team of researchers, and a lot of the stuff he writes about is simply re-hashed versions of opinions from his favourite authors.

The only thing genius about Stephen Fry is his ability to make people believe that he is more intelligent than he actually is.

Exactly, he`s entertaining enough but no genius.

He speaks with authority which is all it takes really I suppose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement