Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bitch About Hitchens Here

Options
  • 19-12-2011 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

*Grumble grumble* warmongering

*grumble grumble* got what he deserved from drinking too much

*grumble grumble* Now I haven't read or seen much about Hitchens BUT let me tell you something about Christopher Hitchens!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I hear he once passed a church without making the sign of the cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I hear he once passed a church without making the sign of the cross.

He made half a cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I heard he didn't show due deference to a Pope, what a monster!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I bet he's rethinking the atheism bit now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

He made half a cross.

AHA!

HE WAS CHRISTIAN ALL ALONG AND JUST TESTING OUR FAITH

Bloody Hitchens, forcing me think about my own preconceptions and beliefs... who the hell does he think he is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

How could he? He is dead. Have you not seen the news?

I have to say I found it attitude to the war in Iraq quite distasteful. I am happy to disagree with him on that, and I am sure he would not have been in the least bit bothered.

He will be missed. I am genuinely sad at his passing, more so than for any other "famous" person that has died.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

or just chuckling in nonexistance after finding out he was right all along, annoyed he cant get a message back to the rest of us.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I heard he once suggested the missionary position to the saintly Mother Teresa!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

MrPudding wrote: »
    I have to say I found it attitude to the war in Iraq quite distasteful. I am happy to disagree with him on that, and I am sure he would not have been in the least bit bothered.

I feel the same way, but it was nice seeing someone argue in favour of the war coherently and consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Some say...he may have been in the same room as children without fiddling them!...
    Some say...he may have told people to use condoms!...
    Some say...he may have.....

ah fek it, I can't do this....he was too lovely and cuddly to write anything bad about him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

smokingman wrote: »
    Some say...he may have been in the same room as children without fiddling them!...
    Some say...he may have told people to use condoms!...
    Some say...he may have.....

All we know is, he's called the Stig.

GW337H193

:p:p:pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I heard he was caught reading The Origin of Species at a Baptism. What a monster!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

I heard he was reincarnated as a rock.. he had to pay for his sinz ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Gonzor

Never heard of him until the other day when I saw the post on here about his death. So I watched one of the videos and got as far as the line:

I am absolutely convinced that the main source of hatred in the world is religion.

I turned it off there. Most of the people I know either here in Ireland, the UK or the USA couldnt give a rats ass about religion. THey would be more inclined to get pissed off about the latest political scandal then anything religion can throw their way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I also disagree with that (context-less) remark.

The world has a lot of assholes in it. Many of them in power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Gonzor wrote: »
    Never heard of him until the other day when I saw the post on here about his death. So I watched one of the videos and got as far as the line:

I am absolutely convinced that the main source of hatred in the world is religion.

I turned it off there. Most of the people I know either here in Ireland, the UK or the USA couldnt give a rats ass about religion. THey would be more inclined to get pissed off about the latest political scandal then anything religion can throw their way.

That is because most people in Ireland (and the West except maybe USA) don't give a rats ass about religion any more. Countries that have high religiosity also have high levels of religious motivated hatred. Ireland has for most of its existence, but this has decreases significantly in recent years as religious worship has as well.

Its like saying Malaria is one of the worst killers in the world to be met by someone saying Well in Ireland we don't have any malaria so I don't know what you are talking about.

Obviously if, as Hitch hoped, religion declines into insignificance religious hatred will be as insignificant.

It is a shame he never saw what is happening across the Western world repeated across the whole world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Gonzor

Zombrex wrote: »
    That is because most people in Ireland (and the West except maybe USA) don't give a rats ass about religion any more. Countries that have high religiosity also have high levels of religious motivated hatred. Ireland has for most of its existence, but this has decreases significantly in recent years as religious worship has as well.

Its like saying Malaria is one of the worst killers in the world to be met by someone saying Well in Ireland we don't have any malaria so I don't know what you are talking about.

Obviously if, as Hitch hoped, religion declines into insignificance religious hatred will be as insignificant.

It is a shame he never saw what is happening across the Western world repeated across the whole world.

Well I didnt want to comment on the troubles in the East (I assume thats what you're getting at) because I havent being there personally. But all the "middle easterners" I go to college with, they seem to think that religion isnt the problem at all.

They think bad politics is the cause of it, but religion gets the bad wrap time and time again.

And also its usually a minority who instigate most of the trouble anyway. Usually the majority of the people just want to get on with their lives.

Take Osama Bin Laden (the biggest boogey man there is/was in recent years) how many people of his own religion hate him and think what hes doing is wrong. Its a similar situation to our catholic priests abusing kids, the majority of us Catholics hate them and would believe what they are doing contradicts the religion.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

sink wrote: »
    I heard he didn't show due deference to a Pope, what a monster!

That's a little rich considering a thread on Hitchens dying here, a discussion board, became a love-in for fanboys only and "ssshh..,don't mention the war" or the pile of Iraqi corpses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Eramen wrote: »
    I heard he was reincarnated as a rock.. he had to pay for his sinz ;)

Someone hasn't been on the net long enough to remember The Adventures of Rock.

Always made me think rocks have a pretty good life!:D

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

That's a little rich considering a thread on Hitchens dying here, a discussion board, became a love-in for fanboys only and "ssshh..,don't mention the war" or the pile of Iraqi corpses.

no, you were told to create a new thread to discuss the topic.

You can discuss his opinions on the Iraq war here if you like.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's not like he made those Iraqi corpses. And I didn't see many of us praising him for his stance on Iraq, perhaps some respected how he stuck by his guns with it even if we disagreed ourselves.

But his opinion on the war in Iraq doesn't necessarily tarnish all the things people may have liked him for. I'm a huge fan of Kevin Smith even though he believes in some things I don't. I'm a huge fan of Penn Jillette even though he believes in some things I don't. I can still respect what they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I never paid much attention to him but I developed an intense dislike for the man in the run up to the Iraq war. Trying to give intellectual support for such a dishonest and immoral act for that while sitting in absolute safety trumps anything positive he might have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Now don't get me wrong.
    The Hitch was a great man in a lot of ways, but that doesn't mean we always agreed on matters.

I was firmly opposed to the Iraq War as it was based on a lie, I probably would of had less issue with it if the US and UK had just been honest for their reasons, or at least claimed it was to purely get rid of Saddam, and not make up complete fabrications about WMDs and Al Qaeda working with Saddam.

He said a few things I disagreed with, and a lot I agreed with. But the point is he was a great debater and challenged your thoughts, instead of taking things at face value.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    But the point is he was a great debater and challenged your thoughts, instead of taking things at face value.

thats fair enough but personally I dont think thats any reason to admire someone. I think what they are arguing for is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Let me get this straight, you are bitching about not being able to bitch about Hitchens in the "The Hitch has died" thread, in a thread called "Bitch about Hitchens here"?

Is this meta irony or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

thats fair enough but personally I dont think thats any reason to admire someone. I think what they are arguing for is.

One of the great debaters of the modern age.
    A man who got many to see past their childhood indoctrinated prejudices and to challenge these beliefs with rational thought and logic.

Surely this is what is important.

A man who can get sheep to follow him, we have thousands of those and often they do more harm than good.
    A man who challenges your belief systems ,get you to think for yourself, to consider if what you stand for is moral and ethical.To set your own standards on what constitutes ethical.To evolve/grow past the preconceptions of your Parents and your community,this is what changes the world for the good.This is a more admirable and rare quality than any other.

One of the great debaters of the modern age.
    A man who got many to see past their childhood indoctrinated prejudices and to challenge these beliefs with rational thought and logic.

Surely this is what is important.

A man who can get sheep to follow him, we have thousands of those and often they do more harm than good.
    A man who challenges your belief systems ,get you to think for yourself, to consider if what you stand for is moral and ethical.To set your own standards on what constitutes ethical.To evolve/grow past the preconceptions of your Parents and your community,this is what changes the world for the good.This is a more admirable and rare quality than any other.

I really don't care about any of that. for me it was overshaddowed by his arguing for the Iraq war.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Yeah, you're welcome Brown Bomber :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I really don't care about any of that. for me it was overshaddowed by his arguing for the Iraq war.

Nobody is perfect you know.
    I also did not agree with the war in Iraq.
    But, like other people in my life, I can still respect and care for someone who's opinion I completely disagree with.
    Are you only surrounded with people who agree 100% on everything you believe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I heard he once suggested the missionary position to the saintly Mother Teresa!

The man was clearly insane. If ever a situtation demands doggy style, this is it!:eek:

As for hitchens, I always thought he was a bit of an asshole to be honest. I've seen no reason to change my view so far. He was undeniably smart and a good talker, but an asshole nonetheless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement