Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 acres

Options
  • 18-12-2011 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi everybody,

Ok so my friend and my self have 2 acres outside of navan on high ground which gets plenty of sun, we are looking to set up a few polly tunnels and get veg etc growing for sale hopefully, just wonder if there is anyone here that is doing something similar?

would you have any tips on best veg to grow etc.

Thanks a million,

Graham

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Have you any horticulture knowledge?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

water supply??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 beanotrout

Have you any horticulture knowledge?

yeah i have a small amount of knowledge, not vast by any means, but im reading and trying things.

Oldtree wrote: »
    water supply??

yeah have a good water supply

beanotrout wrote: »
    yeah i have a small amount of knowledge, not vast by any means, but im reading and trying things.

Learning on the job can be costly, growing veg isn't rocket science but even seasoned growers that grow the same crops year on year still experience new problems. So if you can gain experience working with a grower that would be great help to you.

A few questions for you

What is your water supply exactly? Mains? Well? Rainwater tank?
    Organic or conventional crops?
    What types of crops do you want to grow?
    Heated or cold house crops?
    Who are your customers?

• Advertisement

Learning on the job can be costly, growing veg isn't rocket science but even seasoned growers that grow the same crops year on year still experience new problems. So if you can gain experience working with a grower that would be great help to you.

A few questions for you

What is your water supply exactly? Mains? Well? Rainwater tank?
    Organic or conventional crops?
    What types of crops do you want to grow?
    Heated or cold house crops?
    Who are your customers?

water comes from mains. looking to grow stuff in a number of plolytunnels, customers, well they the mystery as of now

water comes from mains. looking to grow stuff in a number of plolytunnels, customers, well they the mystery as of now

want to grow, scallions, asparagas, turnips, herbs, etc

want to grow, scallions, asparagas, turnips, herbs, etc

Scrub out asparagus, prices are high for a reason, it takes about two years to set up a bed of asparagus and you need good free draining soil and your looking at a 4 week harvest window and then you have to let the plants grow out. Plus they will take up precious space for the rest of the year.

Small site so your looking at supplying the local veg or famers markets. You might be better off looking at the local ethnic trade. Try growing oriental and africa veg that can't be sourced in the major supermarkets but do your market research first then read up if they can be grow in Ireland.

Water- its foolish to trust the mains, disaster if your water gets cut off in a hot spell. Most pro growers would have water tanks, filled by a combination of a bore and mains. Some gather rainwater too from pollytunnels or glasshouse roof.

excellent stuff Cardinal, defo right about maybe growing more unusual stuff, i think that worth looking into.

Thanks dude, BIG help

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

i would start to get it ploughed up and have soil weatherd and ready for sowing

• Advertisement
Advertisement