Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puff, the Magic Dragon

Options
  • 18-12-2011 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭

What IS the sing about? It's been a favourite of mine since I was a small child. I learned it primary school. My mum used to sing it to me.

Now, however, I cannot hear it without hearing all the supposed marijuana references. Like, it seems so obvious (Jackie Paper, Autumn Mist, Puff, Magic Dragon...). But if so, Peter, Paul and Mary pulled off one of the greatest trolls of popular music history by getting it to folk-song children's singalong status.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

it was toke the magic dragon wasnt it?

or at least it should have been

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

This thread just a re-hashed sub plot from Meet the Fockers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Its about puffing/sucking a magic/gay Dragon/ I'd imagine. Love the song, def one of my favourites:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

My poor auld dad said the same thing before Robert de Niro did so in Meet The Parents.
    My dad also insists the lapsed catholic priest Cliff Richard lives with is just his mate. Bless. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

People think it's about smoking a joint but it's not, it's about smoking Opium.

Traditional opium pipes had a dragon embossed on them, hence the Cantonese saying of "chasing the dragon", also a reference to the endless chasing of the "perfect high".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

People think it's about smoking a joint but it's not, it's about smoking Opium.

Traditional opium pipes had a dragon embossed on them, hence the Cantonese saying of "chasing the dragon", also a reference to the endless chasing of the "perfect high".

Opium. It's like religion for a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

am i the only one who thought of an AC130 first? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Hippies and their drugs:rolleyes:
    Not even the kids are safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I used to love Melanie Safka's 'Brand New Key' when I was a kid, it was my sisters and my favourite tune, but apparently the whole thing is about sex and was banned from the radio for its sexual innuendo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My parents used to call me "Puff" because they thought I looked like a puffin when I was a baby. They still do call me that. Sometimes they used to sing that song when I walked into the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Lia_lia wrote: »
    My parents used to call me "Puff" because they thought I looked like a puffin when I was a baby. They still do call me that. Sometimes they used to sing that song when I walked into the room.

good job you are a lady :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

heroine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

good job you are a lady :)

Yeah it's still pretty mortifying though!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Hippies and their drugs:rolleyes:
    Not even the kids are safe.
    I always only ever bought off friends just to be safe

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Superbus wrote: »

What IS the sing about? It's been a favourite of mine since I was a small child. I learned it primary school. My mum used to sing it to me.

Now, however, I cannot hear it without hearing all the supposed marijuana references. Like, it seems so obvious (Jackie Paper, Autumn Mist, Puff, Magic Dragon...). But if so, Peter, Paul and Mary pulled off one of the greatest trolls of popular music history by getting it to folk-song children's singalong status.

hey they were showing this to kids

My psychedelic playlist

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL81EB2A9CB99BC207&feature=mh_lolz

All the references you could want!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Dunny! wrote: »

And there it is, the worst song ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I lerdened this on the tin whistle when I was a wee lass. That very tin whistle I converted into a pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Commencing thread hi-jacking
    Death from above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Snowc wrote: »
    :confused:
    I'm joking about the hippie comment. But my comment isn't really conflicting anyway. It's a questionable. Why is a kids song filled with drug innuendo? Not that I really care, just asking questions. :)
    For the record, I don't regularly use any illegal drugs, I just don't agree that weed is illegal. In the new year I might give up the booze and start smoking again.

Advertisement