Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GymMembership

Options
  • 17-12-2011 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all,

Not sure if I'm posting in the correct place....

I'm looking for answers as to gym memberships. My boyfriend has mentioned joining a gym, pretty much since I've met him, 7.5 years ago... I was thinking about getting him a membership for his bday in January. But I'm worried it might just be the IDEA of a membership he likes, and might lose interest after a month or so, and they are quite expensive... We have 2 children and a mortgage, enough said!!!

I was wondering if I paid for the membership monthly by DD, and then if he wasn't going after a month or 2 could I just cancel the payments and let that be that, or would I have to keep paying regardless?

The other option is to buy him a 2nd hand bike and see if he gets out cycling, at least then I'll know if it really is the fitness he's after.

Sorry if this question is in the wrong place, or if it is totally out of order...

Thanks in advance :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

A lot of gyms will allow you join for 6 and 4 months etc. You should check these options with the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

honestly buy a kettlebell (16kg for him), a good mat, skipping rope, a foam roll and a session with a personal trainer (to draw up a program) in your area and he can do all that from home.

Save you a truck load of money and he would be done after about 30-40mins in the house rather than spending about that time going to and from the gym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

My boyfriend has mentioned joining a gym, pretty much since I've met him, 7.5 years ago... I was thinking about getting him a membership for his bday in January. But I'm worried it might just be the IDEA of a membership he likes, and might lose interest after a month or so, and they are quite expensive... We have 2 children and a mortgage, enough said!!!

If he'd been saying it for 6 months, then maybe it'd be a good idea, but at 7.5 years it sounds like he has aboslutely no intention of doing it and I think you've answered your own question.

I take it you're aiming to surprise him? If so, I'd be wary if I were you. If not, maybe you could sound him out about it before you splash the cash. Even with the DD option, lots of gyms have an upfront joining fee and some will pursue you for the full amount even if you stop the payments, though that seems to be happeneing less and less. One way or another, you're likely to have spent c.€150 or more before you know for sure it's wasted. If you're lucky enough to have a gym neaby that has no upfront fee and a DD option that can be cancelled anytime, that migh be your best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Stillweak

If we knew where you were we might be able to tell you about cheap gyms in your area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

OP I'm paying €200 a year. The other well equipped gym down the road is charging ~€240. There's deal all over the place. Most gyms do a big discount if you buddy up and buy in threes or fours.

The days of paying €600 or more a year are over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement