Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borrowing money to buy a farm

Options
  • 16-12-2011 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Not buying land with your own money.

Not farming land that you inherit.

Buying land with borrowed money.

Is it a good idea? Is it acheiveable while still remaining solvent and sane?

I'd be interested to hear people's views.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Muckit wrote: »

Probably not achieveable, unless you go into it in a big way and go into liquid milk production and or the price of the land is below €4k acre

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

Muckit wrote: »

A mate was looking at buying land for some part time beef farming and he worked out the payback period at 87 years :rolleyes:, not really doable in Ireland for beef.
    Land purchase is fairly darwinian as in the strong get stronger, mainly established big dairy men buying land around these parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Probably not achieveable, unless you go into it in a big way and go into liquid milk production and or the price of the land is below €4k acre
    Milk production and 4k an acre don't really happen 
    Land will always be priced on a sentimental value rather than based on it's production potentials. The island is just too small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I think there will be a lot of interest on Agri Land in the near future as a hedge against inflation and the possible break up of the Euro. Such people won't really care about a % return per annum, or even the price of cattle. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

locky76 wrote: »
    A mate was looking at buying land for some part time beef farming and he worked out the payback period at 87 years :rolleyes:, not really doable in Ireland for beef.
    Land purchase is fairly darwinian as in the strong get stronger, mainly established big dairy men buying land around these parts.

TBH he is the exact profile of the man that drives the price of land up. He has an off farm income so if he makes nothing only the repayments out of it he is happy as he is left with an asset at the end of the cycle.

BTW I am not criticising him for this as I have bought land on a couple of occasions and this is the logic that I have used to justify it to myself and often had to put my hand into my off farm income to help meet repayments. But sure I'm happy, or at least I tell myself that:rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

it's no different to the established farmer who uses the income from the rest of his land to fund the purchase of more land. the purchased land on it's own would most likely never pay for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

locky76 wrote: »
    depends where you are,around here its people with motorway money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

What kind of farming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Get a good off farm job first, then that`ll make the mortgage repayments
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Grecco wrote: »
    Get a good off farm job first, then that`ll make the mortgage repayments
    :D

Exactly what I was trying to say at post #6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Is there a tax efficent way to make capital repayments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

the most tax efficent way is through a farming company,all payments are tax deductable but it will be only your neighbours think you own it.the thing is i havent met many fellas that have regreted buying land

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

sorry to bump an old thread but just had a question on this myself,is it a good tax effiecent way for your money to work?worst case you can sell it if it start stressing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Sh1t that is an old thread

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

is what a good tax efficient way for your money to work?

i think some people are buying land now a they are nervous about leaving money in banks.

if you were to by land at an all in price of €10,000 per acres. Lease this land for €300 an acre. if this lease were a qualifying lease and no tax was payable on the rental income then this could be considered a very good return in comparison to whats out there on offer at the moment
    Dickie10 wrote: »
    sorry to bump an old thread but just had a question on this myself,is it a good tax effiecent way for your money to work?worst case you can sell it if it start stressing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

duffysfarm wrote: »
    is what a good tax efficient way for your money to work?

i think some people are buying land now a they are nervous about leaving money in banks.

if you were to by land at an all in price of €10,000 per acres. Lease this land for €300 an acre. if this lease were a qualifying lease and no tax was payable on the rental income then this could be considered a very good return in comparison to whats out there on offer at the moment

Is farmland renting for 300 per acre?

???????????. i am not a grammar nazi but i do not understand that comment whatsoever

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Is farmland renting for 300 per acre?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

???????????. i am not a grammar nazi but i do not understand that comment whatsoever

Are lads paying 300euro/acre on long term leases?

And, in areas where they are - is land available to buy at 10k/acre?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭Grueller

Are lads paying 300euro/acre on long term leases?

And, in areas where they are - is land available to buy at 10k/acre?

Around here yes to €300 leases but land is €15-20k per acre

whatever about paying €10k per acre and that been viable or not, i think 15-20k per acre is madness and must have some sort of development potential down the line (i dont doubt that land is making that kind of money in certain areas)

i think that good land is making €10k in certain areas, its just that the auctioneers are not advertising these type of land sales or reporting them in the farmers journal
    Grueller wrote: »
    Around here yes to €300 leases but land is €15-20k per acre

• Advertisement

whatever about paying €10k per acre and that been viable or not, i think 15-20k per acre is madness and must have some sort of development potential down the line (i dont doubt that land is making that kind of money in certain areas)

i think that good land is making €10k in certain areas, its just that the auctioneers are not advertising these type of land sales or reporting them in the farmers journal

Unfortunately here in North Wexford good quality land doesn't sell under €15k

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The amount of leases making 300 or over are minimal, and they would be in the higher land price areas in general. Avg value in the country is around the 10k mark, avg lease is still down at 200 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Any new land for lease bounding any intensive dairy farmer would be E300 here in n.kerry and some of this might not even be tillage type land and good land not bounding a dairy man lucky to see E250

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I m dont know anybody paying 300 an acre and i am renting land off 7 people.

K.G. wrote: »
    I m dont know anybody paying 300 an acre and i am renting land off 7 people.

3 leases within a mile of me for €300 up to a top of €320.
    All leases from 40 to 80 acres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

I dropped out of bidding war at 285 a few weeks ago for 25 acres - it finished at 320 i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Good land in say the west of Ireland is very different to good land in the golden vale so there's what's the definition of good land. Bad land in tillage country could be great land in leitrim.

I doubt there's many places where auctioneers are claiming good land is making on average €15k but there's a lot of similar land only making €10k.

It can happen anywhere that a particular field or farm makes an exceptional price but most people selling will have a fair idea of the general run of it in their area and are unlikely to take much less so if €15k is the price in certain areas you're unlikely to get good land much less.

You may get poorer land which relatively speaking compared to he rest of the country is good land less but unlikely to get the same land less.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

cute geoge wrote: »
    Any new land for lease bounding any intensive dairy farmer would be E300 here in n.kerry and some of this might not even be tillage type land and good land not bounding a dairy man lucky to see E250

Would co-op shares be driving the price though? There are guys travelling 40k from there into West Limerick for a single cut of silage off poor ground and paying well for the privilege.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    Would co-op shares be driving the price though? There are guys travelling 40k from there into West Limerick for a single cut of silage off poor ground and paying well for the privilege.

Their cows must be better than mine so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

K.G. wrote: »
    Their cows must be better than mine so

Probably put themselves in a postion of need rather than want.

Advertisement