Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hitch is dead.

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

It's a pity that Hitchens isn't around to comment on the news that, next September, the Vatican will make Mother Teresa a saint:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/mother-teresa-of-calcutta-to-be-made-catholic-saint-1.2471023
    The late Mother Teresa of Calcutta, the Nobel laureate who dedicated her life to helping the poor, will be made a saint of the Catholic Church in September 2016, the Vatican said on Friday. It said Pope Francis had cleared the way for her sainthood by approving a decree recognising a miracle attributed to her intercession with God. It was believed to be the inexplicable healing of a man suffering from multiple brain tumours. Mother Teresa, who died in 1997 at the age of 87 and was known as the “saint of the gutters”, is expected to be canonised in early September. It was not clear if the ceremony would take place in Rome or India.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

At times like these I truly miss this man.

His documentary on her was fantastic. And its great seeing his article on her being referenced again.

Long live the Hitch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Gintonious wrote: »
    His documentary on her was fantastic.
    i'd call it more an opinion piece than a documentary.

i'd call it more an opinion piece than a documentary.
    That's the tough thing about Hitchens - most of his later stuff that posters here are likely to be familiar with certainly does read like opinion pieces, but at the same time, it's hard to pick holes in any of it.

He seems to have been that most rare of public personae, a demagogue with a fundamental respect for fact and logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

robindch wrote: »
    It's a pity that Hitchens isn't around to comment on the news that, next September, the Vatican will make Mother Teresa a saint:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/mother-teresa-of-calcutta-to-be-made-catholic-saint-1.2471023

The Guardian article wasn't afraid to elaborate on MT's less appealing attributes.

"But it is also controversial. Mother Teresa’s work has been questioned for decades by notable critics, who have alleged first that the Catholic missionary, who died in 1997, misused funds that were meant for charity, and second that she was a Catholic fundamentalist more concerned with evangelism than with serving the poor with adequate medical treatment. "
    “Surely any respectable Catholic cringes with shame at the obviousness of the fakery,” Hitchens wrote in Slate that year. “A Bengali woman named Monica Besra claims that a beam of light emerged from a picture of Mother Teresa, which she happened to have in her home, and relieved her of a cancerous tumour. Her physician, Dr Ranjan Mustafi, says that she didn’t have a cancerous tumour in the first place and that the tubercular cyst she did have was cured by a course of prescription medicine.”

• Advertisement

As much as I disagree with his apparently neo-con views I would love to know what he would've thought of the last 5 years and more so the last 5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

robindch wrote: »
    That's the tough thing about Hitchens - most of his later stuff that posters here are likely to be familiar with certainly does read like opinion pieces, but at the same time, it's hard to pick holes in any of it.

He seems to have been that most rare of public personae, a demagogue with a fundamental respect for fact and logic.

what do you think of his views on abortion ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

As much as I disagree with his apparently neo-con views I would love to know what he would've thought of the last 5 years and more so the last 5 months.

He was fully paid up neo-con at the end and would be now.

Skommando wrote: »
    what do you think of his views on abortion ?
    Absolutely no idea. What were his views?

Advertisement