Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Needy or greedy charities?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Ah sure there's loads of pointless greedy charities out there. That collection for "sick and retired priests of the parish" always got me laughing, if I can remember correctly it was an all year round one too.

Save the poor Bengal Tigers was another one that got me laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

oxfam-wwf-shipping-brief.jpg?w=640&h=525

Forgive my ignorence but having read the article and knowing already that the greehouse effect will cause most harm to developing countries i cannot see why you target oxfam?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I'll be honest, I skimmed through the article and it bored me to death.

I know this though, I'm pretty fúcking sick of charities outside every shop for the last 2 weeks or so. Fúck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

SVP can suck my balls, i'll never give them a cent. Providing prisoners with cigarettes... Fook that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Ah sure there's loads of pointless greedy charities out there. That collection for "sick and retired priests of the parish" always got me laughing, if I can remember correctly it was an all year round one too.

In fairness though there's a lot of sick priests.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

If all the people who stand outside collecting money, asking for money, singing songs for money, etc, etc....

Would spend those same hours working and donate it to charity themselves

1.) Charities would get more money
    2.) Nobody would have to listen to them

/Just saying
    //Tired of being asked for money every 20 feet
    ///With the tax rate as high as it is - I feel like I've already donated to charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Providing prisoners with cigarettes... Fook that.
    wait till the prisoners sue them in years to come for lung cancer etc.

( well, the army soldiers who fired 20 shots sucessfully sued for deafness... )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Zebra3 wrote: »
    In fairness though there's a lot of sick priests.

I know, sure wouldn't you be sick too if you picked up syphilis from a rent-boy.

/trollface - my work here is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Robdude wrote: »
    ///With the tax rate as high as it is - I feel like I've already donated to charity.

If you pay tax, you give to charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Zorbas

Dont you think there are some serious issues to address about the charity / NGO situation in Ireland and how they work or dont overseas ?
    The government has promised legislation to bring better control, transparency and accountability into the sector - promised for mid-2012.
    Would be good to get down to some serious comment unless of course its just a slagging match or a means to overcome the guilt of not giving to deserving charities.
    The f***s etc surely dont impress 'cept for the infantile!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

I always thought of the Chugger's commission as being a worthy cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

SVP is by far the best charity in the country in my opinion, they do their best to help anyone who comes to them, they also do it in a confidential manner.

If you go to a SVP member and ask for help, they report the situation without mentioning anyone's names and see if they can help. A decision is then made by committee and if approved the approved aid is provided by them member in question.

Also all funds are raised by members and retained in the local SVP group. So money raised within a community stays in it, also no members profit from it as it is completely voluntary.

They are currently unable to keep up with the amount of people coming to them looking for help. Its a sad sign of the times, worthy charity IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

SVP can suck my balls, i'll never give them a cent. Providing prisoners with cigarettes... Fook that.
    i have always given to svdp, and gave two days ago to them, is this true, that prisoners are being supplied with cigarettes,
    when i gave, it was meant for those in need, not for crims

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I love charities who ask your bank details and 3eu per month direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I remember a few of my friends collecting for Childline. One made $100 one day for himself.

Just plain wrong. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I've heard this a few times now. Does anyone have any more information on it? I know in Cork Prison and Mountjoy it's forbidden for visitors to bring prisoners cigarettes. They have to purchase them through the prison shop. I presumed this was a state wide thing. What prisons do SVP bring cigarettes to? Do they do it currently or was it something they did in the past?

Anyone any links?

i would also like to know for certain if cigarettes are being supplied in prisons from the money we hand over to help the needy, please someone clear this one up for me,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

No obviously not, ciggs are not allowed to be supplied to prisoners for obvious reasons. People can pay for cigarettes and then the prisoners can receive them through the shop.

SVP do a lot of work in prisons. You would imagine with their mission statement and general intentions they are not just lamping out fags to whoever wants them for the fun of it.

Even if they were, prisoners are sent to prison as a punishment, not to be punished.

Usual ****e anyway, best intentions and good deeds of a group of people convoluted into something bad. Real Irish..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Zebra3 wrote: »
    If you pay tax, you give to charity.
    Berties massive pension is not a charitable cause, imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

People find it easier to throw money at charities rather than get involved. So to the people woh say things like...... shower of wasters.... money never goes to the people who need it........ Well, to you people i say, "man up, get off yer holes, and help out the people on the front lines".

It's not all about the cash. It's about the cup of tea the the poor auld wan that has no one to call in on her. The homeless guy that hasint a pot to píss. That jacket you never wear? He might.

We can all try a little harder. It doesnt take money, we dont have to move mountains, or often look outside our own town or village. Charity is not always throwing a faceless fiver into a very deep bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

You can make your own mind up on the following, but these are just my observations from currently living in an underdeveloped south pacific country.

Oxfam, Save the children & various other international charitys are all here on the island.
    The staff drive the newest biggest nissan patrol's in the country.
    Their offices are the freshest and most comfortable buildings you will see.
    I regularly meet the staff (All ex-pats on ex-pat salaries) in the hotel bars/restaurants.

I don't see the money going to the needy.

That is all.

does oxfam have shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

goat2 wrote: »
    does oxfam have shops

In Dublin they have a great secondhand bookshop on Parliament St,and a giftshop on South King St. Not sure about the rest of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

goat2 wrote: »
    i would also like to know for certain if cigarettes are being supplied in prisons from the money we hand over to help the needy, please someone clear this one up for me,

SVP do incredible work up and down the country,because they are everywhere they have a good idea of where needs are the greatest. They are definitely one of the better charities.

I'm not aware of them handing out cigarettes to prisoners (it seems unlikely), and even if they did, it wouldn't bother me all that much. SVP volunteers do visit prisoners, and in association with the Quakers, they run "Prison Visitors Centres" in a number of prisons which are aimed at those who are visiting family members. All worthy imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

€16 p/h?

Pffft !

The CEO of Concern is on c.140k a year FFS

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/top-charities-defend-fat-cat-ceo-salaries-1062042.html

Sadly they are now being run more like big businesses than charities, a well meaning idea that simply got WAY out of control, a bit like facebook lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

I know a senior guy (on big bucks) in a charity who looked down and laughed at the volunteers who helped out for nothing. I also know another guy who used his "charitable" connection to further his career. They make me sick! :mad:

What I really find surprising lately is all this sponsor a child in (name the developing country) or sponsor the animal (name the big cat). For fcuks sake, I can hardly even feed my own kids without paying for some other guys offspring or some mangy tiger who will probably end up in a zoo.

A lot of these "charities" both local and international are big business. You hear these people constantly trying to get money by running everything from a grab a granny athon to gawd knows what or going abroad to climb a hill or run a race. They get people to sponsor (pay) for their bloody holiday.

We will soon need to be out in every country in the world trying to raise money to feed the paddies the way things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

scholar007 wrote: »
    What I really find surprising lately is all this sponsor a child in (name the developing country) or sponsor the animal (name the big cat). For fcuks sake, I can hardly even feed my own kids without paying for some other guys offspring or some mangy tiger who will probably end up in a zoo.
    I saw an ad where they were saying "Sponsor/buy a word" for a year or something for charity - made me laugh.
    Charities where they donate a physical thing (e.g. an animal, like bothar) seem like the best idea to me. Whether they actually get one is another thing..

i do give to st vincent de paul, i know it benefit my area, as someone else on here said, that the proceeds collected in the community goes to the community, just about a week ago they were filling bags for customers in one of the supermarkets in lue of whatever a person wished to give, i have also collected for charities, the heart foundation, aware, daffodil day and cystic fybrosis, but i always gave my time for freem after all it is a charity and i saw this as my bit for charity, i did not know there were people paid for charity work until lately

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

I know someone who works for a charity + she earns more than I would say 95% of the population. Its a racket.

all our taxes pay for charity anyway

Advertisement