Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business openings and closures around you?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

People should bear in mind that the lads own a very small percentage of the bars. Not majority shareholders as some would believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

what percentage do they have as in numbers and not words

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Wicklow Wolf is backed by 2 Irish musicians... Bonio and the Hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭ted1

3, Hoizer invested about the same as each of them. But lil o brien chocolate lady invested the most

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,833 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In a rapidly rising inflation era, the suburban bar that charges 6.90 for a bog ordinary lager, won't succeed. I don't care whether its Blackrock or Ballymun.

On a sleepy Tuesday night, people won't stand for it and that malaise will eventually infect Thursday - Saturday, after an initially busy period fuelled by curiosity.

you’ll be surprised.. good food will draw people in. Few pubs survive on drink alone

6,90 is the dearest , 5.50 got a Guinness

but take a 6.50 drink. Maybe a euro dearer than a pub up the road. If you are to have 6, that’s only €6 which isn’t going to break the bank of their target audience

Normally I'd agree, but we aren't in normal times.

I had a lunchtime pint in Gleeson's of Booterstown today. I asked the barkeep how business was. "Very quiet recently except for the one pint brigade", was the reply, by which he meant the local older clientele who might pop in before their dinner for a pint of plain of a weeknight.

Suppose I did notice I got a 20% discount code from Diep and Bombay pantry this weekend and a mail from LetsEAtIn about cheaper menus. , guess they are feeling the pinch.

maybe the lobster festival will be a good indication of how things really are if it’s not mobbed , it’s going to be a tough winter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I never understand why a bar/pub can't use a bit of imagination. Something like the coffee shops where you get a stamp for every pint and get your 6th/10th/15th ect free. Or any other promotions which would increase footfall. All they seem to do is copy each other and keep prices the same. I can guarantee if Gleeson's knocked their pints back to €4 between 5 and 7 every evening they wouldnt be as quiet. Is there any such thing as a happy hour anywhere in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Happy hour is banned. You can keep increasing the prices throughout the day (as often seen in the city centre) but can't drop them down at any stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Blut2

I was in The Blackrock again on Saturday night for one and it wasn't that busy - there were empty tables. Which in opening week, on a Saturday night, probably isn't a great sign. Overheard a few people at the tables around us talking of how similar to Spoons it was too, it seems to be a common complaint with the new excessive prices. I think they'll really struggle long term to get people in at that price point, in a fairly standard modern pub, this far out in the suburbs.

I don't wish the lads running it any ill will - but I do think they've made a mistake keeping the place so similar to Spoons but just with massive prices. If they'd converted it into a proper Lemon&Duke style cocktail bar, with a very different vibe/interior to Spoons, people wouldn't mind the high prices. They'd be willing to pay for the different experience, that isn't replicated anywhere else in the area. But as it is, in an environment that was almost identical a few months ago but charging half the price... It just leaves a bit of a bad taste.

If they have great food it might save them, but we'll have to wait and see on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

Well I for one am glad that we have you keeping an eye on them. With your twice weekly visits we'll soon know for sure whether or not they're doing good business.

I'm sorry if my dropping in for a pint twice to a new local business has struck you as wildly unusual. I'll try not to visit again.

They do seem to have a lot of people in this thread defending the place aggressively, despite not having even set foot in there (getting the price of pints wrong, talking about the music/food etc). Along with some very interesting, totally not paid for/fake, google reviews:

Which is all rather questionable...

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

Apologies - I just find it mildly entertaining that you're claiming they'll do no business while you yourself are actively giving them business.

But hey, if you're the type that likes conversing, working, or having a weekend laugh then maybe it'll grow on you.

Personally, I love a weekend laugh.

I mean, if I get to Monday morning, without having had a laugh since Friday afternoon, I feel quite disappointed.

Overpriced alcohol usually does the trick.

But in all seriousness, on the earlier point about Happy Hours and 5 for 4, etc, the laws that have come in banning these things are a massive insult to businesses and customers alike, who should be perfectly free to offer value and make their choice of patronage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Zambrero is opening up in Blackrock Shopping Centre at some point in September, in the unit directly to the right of the main entrance (essentially where Next used to be). First proper burrito place to open in the area afaik (there is of course the pre-existing Korean burrito unit in Blackrock market, but that's only open at weekends). Will be interesting to see how it fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Is that what that they sell, burritos? I was wondering. I saw a couple of lads wandering around wearing their t-shirts yesterday, maybe drumming up some word of mouth before the place opens.

The Korean Burrito guys are excellent IMO. I've noticed they're doing a large amount of delivery business lately too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Wetherspoons have 8 pubs in Ireland.

They had planned between 30 & 40 "within 5 years" when they announce their move into the Irish market in 2015.

Within the industry they are known to be losing money in Ireland and their format has not quite worked. Blackrock was sold at a steep discount to the overall cost they outlaid.

In the UK they garner a strong daytime trade serving up very bland food at a good price from early morning. The error they have made, like many UK companies, is that they have tried to replicate the UK model in a totally different market.

And the food is terribly bland. All made in large factory style kitchen with medium to lower quality ingredients and little flavour. Many items measured out to exact measurements, precooked, vacuum sealed and shipped out. Basically if you compared 10 chicken curries in 10 different spoons in UK and Ireland, every single one of them would be identical.

It has a market. It was never in Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CJay1

The food is terrible but the beer is great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Food is terrible but not sure I agree about the beer - anytime I've tried one of the cheaper ones I've been very disappointed - tastes like dishwater. Tend to stick with Beamish or whatever stout it is they sell - but would rather not give yer man any more of my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CJay1

The Shipyard and Beamish are great (about 3.50 a pint ). Subjective of course

Agree with you about yer man

I've got a fairly good feeling you have no idea what you're talking about based on this one line alone:

"Blackrock was sold at a steep discount to the overall cost they outlaid."

In reality Wetherspoons bought Tonic for €1.5million in 2013[1]. And they sold it for "in excess of €2.5million" in 2022 [2].

So thats almost a decade of no rent and in excess of €1million euro of profit merely on the buying and selling of the location - a very good bit of business by anyone's definition.

[1]https://www.thejournal.ie/jd-wetherspoon-dublin-1192320-Nov2013/

[2]https://www.businesspost.ie/news/rugby-stars-to-buy-three-tun-tavern-from-jd-wetherspoon/

The reasoning given in any reputable reportage on the Three Tun Tavern being sold (ie in papers like the Sunday Business Post) was that it was in too close proximity to the 40ft, another very large Spoons just down the road. Nothing to do with its profitability or lack thereof.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

"In a statement, JD Wetherspoon said it plans to invest a further €1.5 million developing the site" - From the Journal article you linked.

Not making a stand for either point by the way, I've no idea as to the profitability or otherwise of Wetherspoons, just pointing out that's there's more than simply the headline figures to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭buster180

Anyone know why Sports Direct are closing down in Carrickmines? The shop was always busy anytime i was in it.

As in Brandmax is taking the while shop or are both leaving?

Always annoys me that Sports Direct in store is more expensive than online.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭buster180

Both floors had "Closing down" all stock must go all over the place this morning, so it looks like the whole shop is closing down.

Nothing was reduced, same prices as before

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Just heard about this today...where will I get my socks now??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Apparently Sports Direct is closing for renovations only, will be back open by Christmas.

• Advertisement

Anyone know what is happening at Dealz in Carrickmines? It isn't that old and over half the shop is back under construction?

Advertisement