Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Don't register.......... don't pay.

Unless you want the wastage to continue.......
    €600 for food and travel expenses on weekend conference

Published on Wednesday 28 March 2012 10:37

Kilkenny county councillors will be allocated approximate travelling and subsistence expenses of up to nearly €600 for a two-day conference in a Kerry Hotel next month.

A form to apply to attend the conference, in the four-star Manor West Hotel in Tralee on April 20 and 21, was circulated at this month’s meeting of Kilkenny County Council. The estimated total cost of the conference for each councillor attending is almost €750, €597.48 of which is for food and travel.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/local/600-for-food-and-travel-expenses-on-weekend-conference-1-3672504

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Big AK1

Firstly, thank you for this forum to air my view; I apologise in advance if I put anyone to sleep with my rant. I am not of any political persuasion.
    It is incredible & brilliant to see such a reaction to this issue.

My two cents (before the government take them away from me in the form of a levy)...
    The €100 they're looking for is a paltry amount (to the government, not to me). But this is more about the registering they're asking us to do. IMO, they're testing our resolve. They're asking us to register our agreement to their (& the Troika's) plans. If we all do as Big Phil et al want, and register, then we're effectively signing up to, and giving them the green light to administer whatever taxes, levies, fines, cuts, sale of state assets, etc; that they decide on, or their EU bosses tell them to do, from here on in.
    I have to admit that I wasn't enamored at the thought of FG being in power, but they were democratically voted in, and you gotta respect the will of the people; but jaysus, they have already turned into FF v2.0. The way that the coalition (esp. FG) have already shown their ineptitude and contempt for the good people that voted them in (just look at the promises they made and broke, e.g. "not one cent to the bankers"), has made me very concerned for the future of this country.
    And to date, none of reckless Irish bankers (or former regulator) have been jailed for any of the many ridiculous antics that got us into this mess in the first place - what the hell!!!
    During the "boom", I never had (nor do I now) own a credit (debt) card. I would have been extremely lucky to get a holiday a year, let alone two or three. I had to buy a reasonable house way out on the commuter belt to house my family, away from my own family & friends. The house is now worth half the high interest mortgage I still have to pay for it. I'm already paying the Universal Social Charge. Healthcare costs are expensive. Insurance is expensive. Food is expensive. Water charges coming in soon; I have just paid a load of money to get the crappy water coming into my house cleaned. Where does it stop? You can only flog something so much until its dead!
    I wouldn't mind paying such tax(es), if I really believed that these guys were really capable of getting this wonderful country back on track, and not just maintaining the political status quo over the people, until they get voted out, and can start collecting their pensions. But a year into 'power', and I already don't trust them. There is no definitive proof that the collected monies will even go towards local services (we have to take their word for it). Are we supposed to put our trust in the same people that are closing down Garda stations, at a time when lawlessness is on the increase?
    The government is voted in to serve the people of Ireland, to work toward making the people's lives better, and making the country as a whole a better place to live; not to be our bosses, and simply tell us what's what. And if an outside body is telling Ireland to do something that's not in the best interest of our people, we elected these people to tell them to get stuffed (obviously worded in a nicer, more PC way).
    I will not, no way, never, be registering up to this ridiculous, disgusting, tax, and I implore everyone else that has not already done so, to refuse to register you, and your family, and your way of life, to the whim of the Troika, Goldman Sachs, German pension funds, and billionaire bankers.
    The world is watching Ireland, and between this household charge & and the upcoming referendum; we have a chance to show the world that the fightin' Irish are just that; we will not just lay down and accept that we as a nation are willing to pay off the gambling debts of the already uber-wealthy. We are ready to be grown up as a nation, and pay our way in the world, and work our way out of debt (our own, not corrupt bankers), getting rid of the Me Fein attitude of the past, and creating proper social changes, but done on our terms. And the only way the world will start to see this, is if we make a stand... and now is our time to do so!

AK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

heffo500 wrote: »
    I live in a half pub half house and I pay commercial rates. Am I still liable for the household charge?
    The head of the LGMA this morning on Newstalk confirmed that people 'living over the shop' are liable for the charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I see the 'Don Pay, Don't Register' posts are becoming increasingly aggressive and personal.

Smacks of defeat and desperation methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Lets hope there isn't a last minute rush and see the Irish people jump into line again. No other country would stand ideally by and take the muck that is been thrown at us. How far ? How much more will they take of us?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

I see the 'Don Pay, Don't Register' posts are becoming increasingly aggressive and personal.

Eh yeah but the majority of people haven't registered/paid yet. So your argument carries about as much water as a bucket with a very large hole in it. Actually, I think it's the same bucket that Enda seems to be using to recapitalise our economy.

You're right about one thing alright though - desperation. I'm seeing so much of it these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Well done Gerry, there's hope for you yet, have a biscuit.
    Maybe you'll be able to take a course in English literacy.
    Yeah, you're a real ****ing hero.
    The sexist shinners?

Mmmmmmmmm?

Even picked up an infraction for the biscuit one.......

Ghandee wrote: »
    Mmmmmmmmm?

Even picked up an infraction for the biscuit one.......
    Ghandee wrote: »
    good girl.:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Buford Tannen

RTE saying that leo varakar expects a 90% take up by sat !

:D:D:D:D

spoofing about the figures again. ive YET to hear RTE say the people exempted have to sign up too.

so wheres that 200k in their figures ?

I don't expect dopey varadkar to be in power by the end of the year.What a muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

I don't expect dopey varadkar to be in power by the end of the year.What a muppet.

Yeah. Right. Next thing you'll be telling us you hate manure........:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

mikom wrote: »
    Don't register.......... don't pay.

Unless you want the wastage to continue.......

:confused: Surely if you leave the system as it currently is then the current deficiencies will continue? Wastage has nothing do with funding mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

LOL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

hondasam wrote: »
    That's a bit unfair imo. Is the household charge going to be used to pay wages?

Yes. The wages of German bankers. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,552 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Merch wrote: »
    Why of course? its not silly to ask, thats what I heard and was going to ask to confirm, its not an unreasonable thing to believe given the amount of expenses politicians get paid, just another perk is all it would be.

All the same, you seem to have a habit of spouting stuff with out backing it with anything except, read the legistlation. You must be a civil servant as not everyone has the time to read through every line of what is hidden in those things or used to reading it.

You seem to reply to what you want, you certainly didnt respond with a link to where you found that/got the idea that the NPPR was defunct when paying this extra tax, when i asked you that?
    I've just listened to some tosser on the news claiming they dont want to have to cut services like lifeboats, why dont they cut their staff and wastage and their own bloated pay, some guy at the top threatening with scare tactics on an over inflated wage no doubt.

About the NPPR listen here at 1 Hour 50.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A3241323%3A133%3A28%2D03%2D2012%3A

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Yes. The wages of German bankers. :mad:

Any imaginary friends with you today Bill?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Any imaginary friends with you today Bill?

I don't have any friends, real or imaginary. :cool:

How's the extortion campaign of your illegitimate Regime going - not lookin' too good? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Ah, you've had a nice run . . . . . you've banged a few dustbin lids & flexed your rebellious muscles for the first time since you were a teenager but all good things must come to an end.
    Now form an orderly queue & give the nice man your money, we wouldn't want to fine good citizens now would we ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

lugha wrote: »
    :confused: Wastage has nothing do with funding mode.

It does if it all comes out of the same pot ? Just like balancing a household budget you can either increase your income to fund your day-to-day bills (take in more taxes) or you can cut back on expenditure (junkets, expenses, iphones for LA workers etc). The household charge represents the first option but for some reason the expenditure part just doesn't seem to be under review.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A post office worker told me "they were flat out" yesterday as pensioners packed the place to pay the charge,mostly out of fear of what might happen to them if they didn't pay up.They seemed to be of the impression that their names would be blackened & huge fines would follow if they didn't pay,I guess the scaremongering has worked on some of the population.

Wild Bill wrote: »
    I don't have any friends, real or imaginary. :cool:

How's the extortion campaign of your illegitimate Regime going - not lookin' too good? :D

Come come Bill, no need to be so self depreciating.

We all heard you were great friends with CajunOnTour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

My neighbour works in Fingal Co Co and says they are offering treble time and days in lieu for any staff who will work saturday!

Multuiply that by a factor of how many councils we have in the country and how much is that costing?

She also said the numbers "registering" is grossly exaggerated as they are seeing a *LOT* of registrations of people who are exempt!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Come come Bill, no need to be so self depreciating.

We all heard you were great friends with CajunOnTour?

Mod.

Flaming stops here. If you have a problem with a post or poster report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sizzler wrote: »
    My neighbour works in Fingal Co Co and says they are offering treble time and days in lieu for any staff who will work saturday!

Multuiply that by a factor of how many councils we have in the country and how much is that costing?

She also said the numbers "registering" is grossly exaggerated as they are seeing a *LOT* of registrations of people who are exempt!!!

Sure won't the €100 charge cover the overtime bill.

Puts paid to the argument of Councils needing the money when they are able to piss it away paying unnecessary overtime,only in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

zerks wrote: »
    Sure won't the €100 charge cover the overtime bill.

Puts paid to the argument of Councils needing the money when they are able to piss it away paying unnecessary overtime,only in Ireland.

Oh and lets not forget the TWO Quangos that are being underwritten to "administer" the charge!

http://www.lgma.ie/

http://www.lgmsb.ie/

PMSL :rolleyes:

http://www.leovaradkar.ie/?cat=102

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/state-paid-gangster-50k-for-home-in-limerick-estate-3065024.html

Apologies if this is already been posted but the Dept of the Environment want us to pay a household charge when they spent the equivalent of 500 households on this?

Wouldn't you just love to be a fly on the wall in the Dail when they are discussing this stuff? I mean, who thought it would be a good idea to put 50k into the hands of these people?

RTE reporting around 30% have paid by yesterday evening and still 3days to go!

It seems pragmatism had trumped attempts by the loony left to stir up anger and confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Ladjacket wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/state-paid-gangster-50k-for-home-in-limerick-estate-3065024.html

Apologies if this is already been posted but the Dept of the Environment want us to pay a household charge when they spent the equivalent of 500 households on this?

Wouldn't you just love to be a fly on the wall in the Dail when they are discussing this stuff? I mean, who thought it would be a good idea to put 50k into the hands of these people?

The Council bought the house, probably wasn't discussed in the Dail, as it was a local govt decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

RTE reporting around 30% have paid by yesterday evening and still 3days to go!

It seems pragmatism had trumped attempts by the loony left to stir up anger and confusion.

sure thats the same RTE which was reporting that our potato exports were booming and was going to make us all millionaires --- on the same day the IMF arrived, a fact which they completely and totally ignored :D
    I think we need some real news from the BBC about this topic as I would never cite RTE as an independent impartial source for any Ireland related topic especially a topic close to government.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

The Council bought the house, probably wasn't discussed in the Dail, as it was a local govt decision.

Still government money isn't it? The very councils that this household charge will be going to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Time to rush through legislation to confiscate that money and make violent scum pay back society for the cost of keeping them in prison etc and pay back their victims. Prison lodgings should be means tested in my view especially for repeat offenders.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement