Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Heard an interesting one on 4FM today - A man in Waterford has a mortgage on his house for the next 31 years, so he asked his bank how much of his house he owns, they said '3%' so he asked for it in writing, and after recieving it - he's now bringing the banks to court requesting that they pay 97% of the fee.

The mans name is on the title deeds...the house is put up as collateral for the loan...it's no dice for that argument :p

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭apache6

Someone asked where their PAYE goes

as far as i know ALL the tax collected under the PAYE system adds up to the annual budget for The HSE - so in answer the Health Service (i use the word Service in the loosest sense possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,568 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

sup to 24% if TV3 are to be belived.

looks like im gunning to be bang on my 30% prediction !

:D

Many of that 24% are exempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

dvpower wrote: »
    Populist, but negligible savings.

Ditto

A few hundred million here - I'm in favour of targetted redundancies in the PS

That is a biggie, but now you're going to have to work faster - you've just scuppered the bailout deal.

Populist, but, again, negligible savings.

Ditto - again.

A fair bit of populist stuff here, but you've failed to cut the deficit overnight.
    Government cheques are going to start bouncing in the morning, services are going to grind to a halt, whats left of the economy collapses.

Taoiseach Tayto will be hounded from office on day 2.
    Unlike the government, their proposals have slashed it at a stroke..no, wait. Ever hear the old saying, better to light a small candle than forever bemoan the dark? Start cutting at the top, send out the right message, regain the moral ground(they've none as it stands)and then the man and woman in the street might have more time for their cuts and taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

gerryo777 wrote: »
    You've admitted that some of the money we're borrowing went to bondholders & bankrupt banks.
    Admitted it? Its obvious.
    You've said that we need to pay back the loans.
    We do.
    You do agree that that local council funding was cut by €170 million this year in order to find the money to start repaying said loans.
    No. €170 million was cut because the income we used to have that supported local authority funding (e.g. stamp duty and other taxes) have taken a hammering. We are net borrowers, paying down our overall debt isn't on the cards for a few years yet.

And the 'household charge' is meant to replace the cuts to local funding.
    Yes.
    I don't need an 'active imagination' to see what's happening in front of my eyes.
    Your sight is just a little unclear, probably due to ideological blinkers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Where's alistair, did he get a ban for "insulting people" like I did?

Maybe he doesnt insult people, and genuinely believes he is superior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

Populist, but negligible savings.

Ditto

A few hundred million here - I'm in favour of targetted redundancies in the PS

That is a biggie, but now you're going to have to work faster - you've just scuppered the bailout deal.

Populist, but, again, negligible savings.

Ditto - again.

A fair bit of populist stuff here, but you've failed to cut the deficit overnight.
    Government cheques are going to start bouncing in the morning, services are going to grind to a halt, whats left of the economy collapses.

Taoiseach Tayto will be hounded from office on day 2.

what's so wrong with populist...or negligible?....every little helps....

I will cut the deficit , renegotiate our bailout terms with IMF instead of bending over for the German fisting, how about cutting €4b from social welfare NOW!!....cut public pay by 40% for earners over €35k.....cut all public pensions by AT LEAST 40% NOW!!!.....cut all the freeloading deadwood in departments of Health and Education....how's that for a start....can't be done?....why not?....it won't be easy but if our politicians had any [EMAIL="B@LLS"]B@LLS[/EMAIL] they could and should do all this first.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Heard an interesting one on 4FM today - A man in Waterford has a mortgage on his house for the next 31 years, so he asked his bank how much of his house he owns, they said '3%' so he asked for it in writing, and after recieving it - he's now bringing the banks to court requesting that they pay 97% of the fee.

He probably should have asked the bank to explain how a mortgage works while he was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Well as you seem to know everything then maybe you would cost my proposals for me then instead of making snide remarks.
    I'd say mine would make up more than the Property Tax seeing as only 22% have registered to pay and a large percentage of them are exempt.

If costed your own proposals I wouldn't have to make snide remarks. I won't cost everyone of them as I am not arsed. But here's a few points

- Each TD cost an average of €260k or so a year, cutting 25% of them won't get you far
    - Senead costs about €30m per year, hard to get an exact figure though.
    - Not sure how much this would save, couple of hundred million at most.
    - €4bn to screw the bondholders I think
    - Not sure what Junkets you want to stop.

All in all not very close to reaching the required €21bn+.

If costed your own proposals I wouldn't have to make snide remarks. I won't cost everyone of them as I am not arsed. But here's a few points

- Each TD cost an average of €260k or so a year, cutting 25% of them won't get you far
    - Senead costs about €30m per year, hard to get an exact figure though.
    - Not sure how much this would save, couple of hundred million at most.
    - €4bn to screw the bondholders I think
    - Not sure what Junkets you want to stop.

All in all not very close to reaching the required €21bn+.

My proposals were to replace the Household Tax which is the subject of the discussion on this thread.
    I have succeeded then :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

My proposals were to replace the Household Tax which is the subject of the discussion on this thread.

No, you were asked to balance the budget over night. Try and keep up.

Izzy Skint wrote: »
    what's so wrong with populist...or negligible?....every little helps....

I will cut the deficit , renegotiate our bailout terms with IMF instead of bending over for the German fisting, how about cutting €4b from social welfare NOW!!....cut public pay by 40% for earners over €35k.....cut all public pensions by AT LEAST 40% NOW!!!.....cut all the freeloading deadwood in departments of Health and Education....how's that for a start....can't be done?....why not?....it won't be easy but if our politicians had any B@LLS they could and should do all this first.....
    Thats all very radical.

Given that the current government are having difficulty getting a €160m household charge implemented, do you envisage any problems with your proposal for a €4bn cut in social welfare ?
    You're definitely going to need the public service on your side to deal with the flak they're going to get. Aw crap - you've just gone and massively slashed their pay and pensions.

Taoiseach Tayto is carried back to office on a wave of public approval. (His second term lasts 3 days)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

From the Wexford forum. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77793503&postcount=39
    The hypocrisy...

Apparently the town councillors gathered in 'The Square' bar on St. Patrick's Day where there was a free bar (i.e. compliments of the tax payer) in their honour. One councillor supposedly had most of his family in attendance enjoying the free bevvies.

So, if someone from the council does end up knocking on your door looking for payment of the household charge, be sure and ask them about this.

No free beer for those that employ them-US!!

It'd make anyone rush out & pay €100 as soon as they could.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Izzy Skint

Thats all very radical.

Given that the current government are having difficulty getting a €160m household charge implemented, do you envisage any problems with your proposal for a €4bn cut in social welfare ?
    You're definitely going to need the public service on your side to deal with the flak they're going to get. Aw crap - you've just gone and massively slashed their pay and pensions.

....but since they are paid well above the average industrial wage, and since they are so much 'better off' having a job than being on the dole then they should be very grateful to do their job....oh crap....what if they are hit with other taxes?...like the household tax?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The_Thing wrote: »
    I just want to say thanks to the poster who added the 'may they die roarin' tag to this thread - my sentiments exactly.

You are very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Cut the number of T.D.'s by 75%. This country does not need 166 chancers.
    Close the Seanad (F.G. promised a Referendum within 100 days on this but reneged I believe)
    Cut wages at the top of the Public Sector by 15% and seek retirements where it will matter as there are too many administrators on big dosh - not in Frontline Services)
    Screw the unguaranteed bondholders too.
    Stop the Junkets.
    Reduce T.D.'s mileage and allowances as some of these are a complete rip-off.

There now, just off the top of my head.

Sorry tayto had to correct that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

If I was to pay this would the council come out and fix the footpaths? Something small I have noticed around my town are the state of the footpaths for wheelchair users. If a wheelchair user needs to cross the road they need to find an area in the path where the kerb is lower. But look across the road to the kerb across the road and the kerb is high meaning he/she relying on a wheelchair is unable to cross. There is only one area in my town for wheelchair users to cross. The rest has zig-zag patterns of lower kerbs.

What kind of fcuking planning is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MaxyJazz

I asked all my family and friends plus neighbours (about 60 households)
    To see how many will or have paid the HC...3 did pay and rest wont pay it....so I asked the 3 why they decided to pay,they all said that they were scared not to pay even though they see it as an unfair tax.

Another phone call from Big Phil. He's getting desperate. Offering me all kinds of perks to turn coat and lead his troops on Boards.ie. Says that the crowd he employs on here are letting him down very badly with only 22% registering and most of them not paying. Heads will roll. He said he rang Inda in China and he could hear the plates hitting the Great Wall when he told him of the 22%. He said all his people on here were only Terracotta Warriors and no good to his campaign. Enda said he was changing his name to Chow Mein in an effort to get business from China. Denis O'Brien trying to get a few contracts in China too it appears.
    I had to hang up on Big Phil as his tears started to flow like the Yangtze.
    Thinking of changing my phone number.
    Get your act together you Pro posters.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

you've just gone and massively slashed their pay and pensions.

If they were not so high in the first place there would be no need for the household tax.

If a bucket is leaking, you fix the hole in the bucket first. Social welfare and public service pay and pensions amount to 100 times the household charge.

Taoiseach Tayto is carried back to office on a wave of public approval. (His second term lasts 3 days)

Do I get the big pension ?

Yes, but owing to one of your earlier shortsighted decisions, its a slightly reduced one.
    Cut wages at the top of the Public Sector by 15% ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Yes, but owing to one of your earlier shortsighted decisions, its a slightly reduced one.
    Soon to be reduced to zero under new legislation, once he joins Pee and the crew in the ranks of the lawbreakers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I still havent heard of one person in my area paying this, or in the surrounding area's that i know of anyway. The dont pay campaign was fairly door to door around here and we arent paying. The whole thing sounds absurd we worked our asses off to pay for this house and now that its actually paid off we are expected to pay a yearly tax on it. Thats just not going to happen.

And i never thought id see the day i find my self reading boards and wondering if some poster's are actual government shills payed to come on here and pander their propaganda and scare tactics. This country has gone to **** and this tax is pointless till they rehaul the system start arresting all these corrupt politicians and show us your actually doing what the hell your meant to be doing and stop filling your own pockets, and i dont believe the polls on the news for one second.

The entire way this whole house tax thing has gone on is a utter joke and heads should roll.

Does anyone know, if you need a tax clearance cert, but you haven't paid the charge, will the Revenue refuse it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Unfortunately not - these days we borrow from the EU/IMF for that.

i thought that was for the banks. You can say money is for groceries when you've spent your grocery money in the bookies, but the money was still spent at the bookies. Same way they can say the house hold charge is for public services, when the intended funds were just paid to the bond holders. I believe that happened in the budget (-€170m)

prinz wrote: »
    Oh good jaysus. Píssing in the breeze I see.

We complain about TV license.. it's more expensive other places.
    We complain about property taxes.... they pay them other places.
    We complain about... and so on and so on.

yep, and then you complain about someone complaining. its what we do :)

care to make a real point or are ya just raging youve been caught out on your bullshyte ?

we pay more indirect taxe than damn near any country in the world.

you'd have to go to scandanavia to get more tax take.

And for that, far more services too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Originally Posted by tayto lover viewpost.gif

You have to be a politician. Even the c*nts, past and present hadn't got the neck to give out pensions to themselves after five days in office, at least not so far. And you think it's short sited to have even "slightly" reduced it.

How about giving a decent valid reason for allowing the government leverage on peoples homes.

Even with one hundred percent compliance of this new tax, the deficit is not going to be cut overnight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement