Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of LIT?

• 14-12-2011 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hi, I got accepted into the final level year of a level eight degree course this year in the college, as a newcomer on the Back to Eduction Allowance I was wondering what people thought of LIT.

To be honest I find the lecturers are very honest and sound, but the place as a whole is 3rd world compared to to other colleges. There is no gym (well you have to pay membership for a term!) no social outlets, the library full of ignorant Muppet's wasting computers on facebook and youtube, and eating drinking and using mobile phones till their hearts content, they really are crap facilities, the toilets constantly smell. Especially the main one on "the street" the male toilet on the first floor beside the library constantly smells of diarrhoea. As for the food in the canteen..
    I completed a diploma (level 5 or 6) in what I am doing now, in CIT 15 years ago and I can honestly say it was a superior course! have educational standards slipped that much??

The parking situation is also chronic. I've seen idiots actually parked outside someone's front entrance in front of the centra in woodview, what kind of ignorant bollix would do that?? Then you see lads (and girls!) wearing tracksuits around the place, like scumbags from Moyross! I'm very disappointed with my experience of LIT so far

At this stage I only bother attending lectures 2 or 3 days a week out of 4, as I know I will piss it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

IMA LET YOU FINISH, BUT UL HAS SOME OF THE BEST DRESSED STUDENTS OF ALL TIME...

why does someones clothes make a difference?
    some days i get up and put on jeans and a tshirt and a jacket, sorted, other days when im feeling a bit sick or down, and its really cold out and i might only have one class ill just throw on some tracksuit pants and a hoody, but my clothes dont effect your learning ability in class.

every other point you made was correct
    Then you see lads (and girls!) wearing tracksuits around the place, like scumbags from Moyross!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mod Note

I have closed this thread as some comments in the OP may upset some of the natives.

Any questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

EDIT: I have re-opened this thread after some deliberation but insulting members of any community will not be tolerated. A good debate about the college can be had, I'd like both positive and negative aspects of the college to be discussed. I think it will be more beneficial to those who are thinking about attending the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Then you see lads (and girls!) wearing tracksuits around the place, like scumbags from Moyross!

Keith Earls been hanging around in his Munster gear again? tut tut.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

I agree with the majority of the post apart from the attire statement, drives me mad trying to find a computer to work on with all the face book and you tube watchers. Some of the lecture rooms are prehistoric to say the least.
    I too am a mature student on the BTEA it attend every lecture,I find the lecturers willing and able to help and hand on heart I can say I have never have any issue with parking.
    Thus far I'm am enjoying the experience but that might change with the increased work load in the future.......................

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Very,very disappointed with the place.I did my ordinary degree in gmit last year and there really is no comparsion between the two in terms of facilties,standard of lecturers and general set-up of the place.

Now obviously the facilities and lecturers are only particular to my department(electronics) but for example facility wise some labs when we go to log either (a)there is no access to the internet so therefore no access to moodle and (b)the computers are so crocked it takes 10 minutes to long in and when they do they run at a snails pace.very,very frustrating.
    The lecturers who in fairness all seem like nice people but their teaching methods are just terrible,I mean one class 80% of the year had to get grinds for it,mad!.
    And the college library well that might as well be a pub at times.
    Suffice to say one worst decisions to do my add-on here but thats my problem.
    (O and if ppl are wondering,the main reason I chose here is because its only a year as oppesed to two everywhere else)

• Advertisement

I agree about the electronics labs. I was delighted to see the back of them in my 3rd year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I agree about the electronics labs. I was delighted to see the back of them in my 3rd year.

Ha ya.Its funny,in gmit there was some labs where we'd have 2 screens connected to the pc so we could work on both which was very handy,here I'm just happy if the computer logs in within 2 minutes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

OP you ask what ppl think of lit. In my experience it's a dive, full stop.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    OP you ask what ppl think of lit. In my experience it's a dive, full stop.

Surely you can give reasons as to why you think it's a "dive"?

Surely you can give reasons as to why you think it's a "dive"?

How about this example; Pimps operate in the carpark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

the thought of going in there Monday morning turns my stomach, I'm counting the days untill May and the finals

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭FizzyCola

I graduated there this year.

Paying for gym membership seems to be normal in any college. 90 euro for a full college year is nothing. I was only in the actual gym part once and to be fair its very basic and has very little equipment but the lad there is sound out, myself and another fella used to be over there the whole time in 1st year shooting on the basketball rings.

You should have seen the computers before they got the new ones. All the ones there now were only put in last year. Im not sure if the ones for electronics were upgraded though. We had to do electronics as part of our course up until 3rd year, the lecturer was always around given out that we were behind in the labs. The computers would take about 10 mins to come on and then another ten to actually start the programme and one of the labs was riddled with viruses. At times it actually took half an hour before I could start the work we were supposed to be doing. If everyone turned up we had to share computers.

I wasnt in the library much now but it isnt that bad, it can be a bit noisy but most of the noise is from people walking in and out. The problem is that its basically one big massive room with only one proper entrance where 99% of the people come and go. The librarians clamp down a lot on people talking especially around exam time. Most dont use the library for studying, most use it for doing writtten work so there is always a bit of banter as people often talk to each other while doing the work

Its impossible to get a computer in there as it is in the main computer room especially since those new stupid rooms they put in. We were able to use our departments PC room any time we wanted even with lectures on.

The lecture rooms are basic because they are just rooms, 4 walls, tables and chairs and a whiteboard/blackboard and a projector is all that is required. Most of the lecture rooms are in the old part of the college and could probably do with some new bright paint but its not too bad. The ones on the street and upstairs are grand.

In my department all the lecturers were dead on. One was completely delusional though and thought he was a fantastic lecturer and actually told us we were lucky to have him. All the students knew he was crap and all the other lecturers know as well.

Toilets are pretty manky but what public toilets arent. The ones on the street are probably the best so you must not have done a full survey of the facilities. Try the ones down by the garage and mech eng workshops. You'll wish you didnt have a sense of smell. Grand for numero ones but thats all.

Parking is a joke in fairness but its a lot cheaper than UL and most are sound to give you their ticket on the way in. Didnt bother me though as I was cycling or biking it.

The food in the canteen is fine, its canteen food, not some 5 star fancy restaurant job. Its cheap food for poor students even though the shop section is a complete rip off so most just go to centra.

I wear tracksuits the whole time. Its a wonder I passed at all.

I had 4 years there and while the facilities could have been better I had a grand time there, made a few friends out of and got a job out of it so im happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hughberto

The toilets are pretty crap alright. It stinks like hell there. All of them really. Doing electronics myself there.

The canteen is a general purpose job. Like you man said cheap food for poor students. I went into the NUIG canteen one day and the place was more or less the same as LIT. Same decor and same food aswell so i'd say that their the same company that does student food.

The computers are crap the technicians inside havn't got a clue. One of my lecturers actually joke about them we call them dumb and dumber. As the ones said above XP takes years to load. They have to use XP because they still have equipment from the 80's there that cant be run any other way. PIC programmers and stuff. Certain programs don't run on windows 7 either.

I knew a fella that could hack into anybodies account with only one command. That will just tell you how lax the security is and how stupid the techs are. Maybe they fixed it. I doubt it.

All I know is its a windows server system with a direct fibir optic line from Dublin. Will it be ever fixed I doubt it. Will the computers ever be done up or made faster. I doubt that either. I did an exam before Christmas. I had to wait 20 minutes into the exam before the program was loaded up. Ridiculous amount of time.

The gym there is sub par aswell. Hardly anything there. I get a better deal at home in Ennis. €3.50 for entrance 3 times a week. Tis grand, good facilities and a sauna afterwords. What more can you ask for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭GedR

I have to agree its a complete dive. Started my final year 2 weeks ago and i nearly vomited going in seeing the place again cant wait for next may so i can get out of there. Its basically an extended secondary school you couldnt call it a college.Lecturers are good though in my course anyway. Toilets are a scandal as is the library never studied in there in the last 3 years as the noise is a joke just studied at home. Dont plan on doin much in the library this year eithir. In my 4th year now and can give people one word of advice: if you want a good social scene go to UL

Sure you're going to college to study. Why would the social scene be the deciding factor?

Maybe we need to divert some valuable funds to create a position like they did in UCC for a Student experience officer cheap @ €140,000................

Sure you're going to college to study. Why would the social scene be the deciding factor?

Who said it was a deciding factor? Maybe you should read posts fully. Its a dive full stop. Take a drive out to UL maybe you will see what i mean then

stock> wrote: »
    Maybe we need to divert some valuable funds to create a position like they did in UCC for a Student experience officer cheap @ €140,000................

Maybe they can divert the valuable funds to cleaning the toilets.....

GedR wrote: »
    Who said it was a deciding factor? Maybe you should read posts fully. Its a dive full stop. Take a drive out to UL maybe you will see what i mean then

I don't need to take a drive any where. The social scene is nothing to me.

Although LIT could do with a student bar. That would have been cool.
    Maybe they can divert the valuable funds to cleaning the toilets.....

The toilets were fairly manky when I was there alright.

Who is the head of student union? You should get in touch with them about it. Make an impact in the place in your final year. :)

I don't need to take a drive any where. The social scene is nothing to me.

Although LIT could do with a student bar. That would have been cool.

The toilets were fairly manky when I was there alright.

Who is the head of student union? You should get in touch with them about it. Make an impact in the place in your final year. :)

Im a mature student so the social scene is nothing to me eithir but im sure to somebody of 17 or 18 it might have some impact on their decision

• Advertisement

Well tomorrow when you walk in the front door head all the way down the street, swing in for the chapel just past the caretaker booth first door on the right is the facilities offices make your complaint there.

Now I have attended both institutions, offered courses in both as a mature student and chose LIT as they recognised my experience and gave me credit for it.

As for my opinion on the toilets they are the same.......in both institutions.

stock> wrote: »
    Well tomorrow when you walk in the front door head all the way down the street, swing in for the chapel just past the caretaker booth first door on the right is the facilities offices make your complaint there.

Now I have attended both institutions, offered courses in both as a mature student and chose LIT as they recognised my experience and gave me credit for it.

As for my opinion on the toilets they are the same.......in both institutions.

I just paid €2250 to the college maybe they can buy some cleaning products out of that for the toilets. As for complaining, after paying that kind of money the least students should get is sanitary toilet facilities. The toilets in UL are in far superior condition. Good for you that you got offered courses in both institutes, and you choose the extended secondary school well done.

By the way its the college building and lack of facilities im talking about not the courses or lecturers. The lecturers in my own course are very good as is the course.

I just paid €2250 to the college maybe they can buy some cleaning products out of that for the toilets. As for complaining, after paying that kind of money the least students should get is sanitary toilet facilities. The toilets in UL are in far superior condition. Good for you that you got offered courses in both institutes, and you choose the extended secondary school well done.

Tone it down GedR or you'll get a warning

Tone it down GedR or you'll get a warning

Im just giving my opinion. Im talking about the facilities and the state of the toilets as i said the lecturers and courses are first class thats why i choose my course there.

You can do it without insulting others. Attack the post, not the poster is the golden rule on Boards.

Questioning a mods decision on thread is also an infraction You've learned two lessons here now so take them on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lyrical

I'm only in there a couple of months now like everything in life it has it's good and bad points.

I find some lectures are completely pointless,as all the lecturer seems to do is read off slides from the projectior in the class for an hour without really explaining or expanding on each slide (as all is needed is on the slide apparently).I could open moodle and do the same at home myself.There is no handouts,revision notes,tutorials given in the class and I just find it an endurance test to not zone out and daydream.

The computers in general I don't think there is enough in the college as around exam time you couldn't get one for love or money.They also take 10 minutes (no exaggeration) to log on to and are in need of an upgrade.I see toilets being mentioned and have to agree,you wouldn't want to have a weak stomach to go in there half way through the day with the smell.In fairness the cleaners do a good job there it's just there is no proper ventilation in the toilets in the main street and they reek.

The canteen as I mentioned in another post is a rip-off and the food is rather meh in my opinion.I find the library at times is too loud at times and you're probably better off going somewhere else if you want to study.

Staff are friendly and the caretakers were very helpful to me in my first week or so there.The lecture rooms are spacious and the class is not all crammed together.I like the practical side of my course but find some days I'm either in front of the computer all day or inside in lectures(the kind of ones I mentioned earlier) which is tiresome and I can see why there is lads who never attend lectures.

I see some people called it a dive and I think it's a bit harsh the computers need an update,the library isn't much of a library to be fair but I think it's an ok college could be a lot worse could be a lot better.

5 posts so far this year (incl this one) says a lot really about lit. Mods should close this down, it's a waste of space.

It was fine as it was without a meaningless bump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 limiter12

I have to agree with blue 5000 opinion on lit. It is fairly obvious that any investment in third level in limerick has gone UL's direction which has resulted in lit falling behind nearly every other institute in regards facilities.

Advertisement