Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matching Wine with Lamb

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I don't think anyone has a problem with that. If it's not for you, it's not for you. Each to their own.

Definitely,

It's that bit that upsets people. It suggests that just because you're not into "matching" wines with food that anyone who does is just making it up to seem sophisticated.

That's why I said "can" If you have an amazing pallet I'm sure it's worth the effort but for the rest of the mere mortals my personal opinion is to just drink what you like. That doesn't mean don't try out new wines, just don't limit that to any type of food, try the wines see what you like then drink them with whatever food you wish because for the majority, it won't make much of a difference
    So, go to good shop and ask.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

The best advise you'll get isn't from random people arguing on the internet, it'll be from a professional enthusiast in an independent wine shop.

As it happens I own and run an independant wine shop. :D
    Several times a day people will ask for a wine to go with a particular food and I can confidently recommend something. Several times a day customers come back and thank me for those recommendations. It's not codswallop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

ntlbell wrote: »

That's why I said "can" If you have an amazing pallet I'm sure it's worth the effort but for the rest of the mere mortals my personal opinion is to just drink what you like. That doesn't mean don't try out new wines, just don't limit that to any type of food, try the wines see what you like then drink them with whatever food you wish because for the majority, it won't make much of a difference

Firstly, you aren't answering the OP's query. He asked for a wine to match with lamb. You've told him instead not to bother attempting to do so.
    Secondly, for the majority, attending an opera, for example, is an experience of limited pleasure, because while they may derive enjoyment from the music and the performance, opera requires a degree of additional knowledge to be fully experienced. This analogy can equally apply to what you're saying about matching wine and food. What I and others are suggesting is that one can go further and obtain fuller enjoyment by attempting to obtain the additional information to get at the fuller enjoyment of the experience.
    With opera, that means familiarising oneself with the plot, maybe even learning some of the language in which the opera is sung.
    When it comes to matching food with wine (or indeed, with beer or whiskey), nowhere near the same work is required. One can read about it, or simply consult someone who has a more informed palate and can offer suggestions, as the OP has done.
    If you do enjoy wine, I think it's unfortunate that you've chosen, for no particularly good reason that I can discern, to cut yourself off from the additional experience and pleasure of matching your food with a beverage that especially complements its flavours.
    It's perfectly fine for you not to do so. That's entirely your choice, but it's not the OP's choice. He wants to match his wine to his food.

Firstly, you aren't answering the OP's query. He asked for a wine to match with lamb. You've told him instead not to bother attempting to do so.

I told him what I do.
    If you do enjoy wine, I think it's unfortunate that you've chosen, for no particularly good reason that I can discern, to cut yourself off from the additional experience and pleasure of matching your food with a beverage that especially complements its flavours.

As I'm not a huge opera fan, another side to my ignorance :rolleyes: I'll try and attempt go from something I know about.

As an IT profesional, I can give you advice after advice on what Operating System will suit you best. If you have a passing interest in technology you'll probably be pointed to Windows or MAC as there's no point in me pointing you to a flavour of Linux or UNIX as you're going to spend too much time trying to learn about it than using it for it's intended purpose. You will miss out on the stabliltiy and configurability/flexibility of such an OS but one has to priorities. So do you want to get the work done? or spend months in a manual?

The same can be said for wine, the work that has to go into educating the pallete etc to spot very subtle differences in wine etc. Or do you just want to open a bottle and enjoy a drink.

Now if the OP had came a along and suggested he wanted to educate himself and go into learning about wines on a much deeper level. I'm not going to come along and tell him to just try any aul muck and stop wasting your time.

But he asked a specific question a bottle to go with a meal.
    That's entirely your choice, but it's not the OP's choice. He wants to match his wine to his food.

No, he wants someone else to tell him what he will enjoy with his food.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    As it happens I own and run an independant wine shop. :D
    Several times a day people will ask for a wine to go with a particular food and I can confidently recommend something. Several times a day customers come back and thank me for those recommendations. It's not codswallop.

I'm sure they might have came back regardless had they mentioned anything about food or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

We could be here all day going around in circles on this.

If you really like custard, it may very well be the best choice for you with lamb, some people like to put custard creams on bread n butter. If custard cream is what their about why recommend using ham instead?

So if went with the custard with the lamb - would the recommendations above still stand or would I need to modify my search to include desert wines?:D

jinkybhoy wrote: »
    So if went with the custard with the lamb - would the recommendations above still stand or would I need to modify my search to include desert wines?:D

The two wines I stated for me go perfectly well with custard :D

Not the bird's stuff tho has to be high end custard that you spent years on educating your pallet to enjoy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I'm sure they might have came back regardless had they mentioned anything about food or not.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

The two wines I stated for me go perfectly well with custard :D

Not the bird's stuff tho has to be high end custard that you spent years on educating your pallet to enjoy ;)

Whoooah - hold on a minute - this is getting out of hand - I'm going to have to fork out more than a tenner for a wine and extra for the high end custard - jaysus, better get down the credit union quick!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

jinkybhoy wrote: »
    Whoooah - hold on a minute - this is getting out of hand - I'm going to have to fork out more than a tenner for a wine and extra for the high end custard - jaysus, better get down the credit union quick!!!

You could ease the financial pressure by cutting out the lamb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I told him what I do.

No, you told him what to do. As everyone on the thread has, since he asked for suggestions as to what to do.
    The same can be said for wine, the work that has to go into educating the pallete etc to spot very subtle differences in wine etc. Or do you just want to open a bottle and enjoy a drink.

They may be subtle differences to you. To other people, the differences between wines can be profound. And just so's you know this -
    palate-soft-11049_0.jpg

is a palate and this -
    pallet.jpg

is a pallet.
    Now if the OP had came a along and suggested he wanted to educate himself and go into learning about wines on a much deeper level. I'm not going to come along and tell him to just try any aul muck and stop wasting your time.

That's basically what you did do.
    But he asked a specific question a bottle to go with a meal.

No, he wants someone else to tell him what he will enjoy with his food.

Tell you what, look at the thread title and try again.

No, I told him to drink what he enjoys.

If we're moving on to spelling corrections I don't think there's much more for you to add to this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

OP, if you can get to a SQ or Tesco...

Clicky

Advertisement