Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

visa debit/credit - can companys tell the difference?

Options
  • 12-12-2011 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭

so i notice that the irish lotto website for example does not accept debit mastercards. would companys like this have access to the mastercard database etc to see if a card is credit or debit?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yes, they can tell the difference. The first 6 digits normally indicates the bank and card type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

i remember using a website online before and i put in my visa info and ticked the mastercard option by mistake. it was able to tell me (seemed like a javascript sorta thing) that the number was invalid visa number.

is there a similiar setup where they can tell the difference between debit/credit cards even without contacting visa/mastercard etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Random wrote: »
    so i notice that the irish lotto website for example does not accept debit mastercards. would companys like this have access to the mastercard database etc to see if a card is credit or debit?

The various card schemes (Visa/Mastercard etc) provide this information, they charge the Banks/Merchants differently for debit/credit cards.

Some of the Bank provide the information on there web site, the attached document is freely and public available from one of the banks.

Advertisement