Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink driver steals garda car in Dublin, drives to Armagh

Options
  • 11-12-2011 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Just being nosy to see if anyone heard anything about a chase on the m1 there about an hour ago. Was coming down from newry and just as we were crossing the border 4 Garda cars were chasing some car up the other side going northwards and they all stopped at the border. Was passed then by at least 6 more cop cars going northwards. The road up to joansborough was blocked by a cop car as well (think it was psni) and then there was another 3 Garda cars sitting on one of the bridges before Dundalk.

Checked rte and that but nothing up. Whats the craic with the Garda cars stopping at the border? Are they allowed to go into the north to turn to get onto the otherside of the motorway as there is no way of getting back or are they not allowed in the north at all? Theres no other way of them getting back without driving the wrong way down the motorway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Sounds a bit like GTA when you go to one of the other islands before you're supposed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Sounds a bit like GTA when you go to one of the other islands before you're supposed to.

nothin beats trying to out run cops, fib the hummers helicopters while blasting tunes out :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭scwazrh

So long as " STAG " didn't come in and shut down the city

Snowie wrote: »
    nothin beats trying to out run cops, fib the hummers helicopters while blasting tunes out :cool:
    Even though it only a 1 player game it used to be great craic passing the controller around seeing who could last the longest.
    GTA was good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Someone was trying to beat the VAT increase

Yes I know it's not in place until 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

m.j.w wrote: »
    Whats the craic with the Garda cars stopping at the border? Are they allowed to go into the north to turn to get onto the otherside of the motorway as there is no way of getting back or are they not allowed in the north at all? Theres no other way of them getting back without driving the wrong way down the motorway
    I'd say they can cross the border to turn at the next junction but I'd guess that they can't have sirens and lights and all that jazz on the go. I presume they'd also have to keep to the speed limit too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

They chase to the border afaik
    they radio ahead to the psni to look after it on other side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I'd say they can cross the border to turn at the next junction but I'd guess that they can't have sirens and lights and all that jazz on the go. I presume they'd also have to keep to the speed limit too.

i thought thats what happened aswell but once they got to the border they stopped and pulled into the hard shoulder. maybe they have to wait for premission or something. was like something out of gta alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I have no idea where any of these places are. I wouldnt worry about it, there are garda chases every day.

M cebee wrote: »
    They chase to the border afaik
    they radio ahead to the psni to look after it on other side

yea that must be what happened when since the psni car was blocking the other road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭skinny90

yes gards can cross the border,i often seen them communicating and helping psni with lots of different issues on the news,i cant remember but things such as drug busts or was it smugling fuel,cant fully remember,a better question would be can they arrest someone accross the border??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I assume they work closely with PSNI swapping info. etc.

i thought thats what happened aswell but once they got to the border they stopped and pulled into the hard shoulder. maybe they have to wait for premission or something. was like something out of gta alright
    Well, I suppose if northern plod are about to take up the chase, there's no need for the Gardai to carry on the high-speed chase and unnecessarily putting themselves in danger.

Well, I suppose if northern plod are about to take up the chase, there's no need for the Gardai to carry on the high-speed chase and unnecessarily putting themselves in danger.

why did they stop though if they have to drive up anyway to the next junction to get turned and get back on the southbound side. the next junction is about a mile over the border.

Do the Brits and Irish ever cross the border in chases or is that not allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's a new initiative to prevent shoppers going to the North, and on this occasion it was a failure. The next time they'll use stingers.

why did they stop though if they have to drive up anyway to the next junction to get turned and get back on the southbound side. the next junction is about a mile over the border.
    Erm... read the post you quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Sounds like the Bandit & Snowman were once again hired on to run a tractor trailer full of beer over county lines in hot pursuit by a pesky sheriff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

They didn't just stop dead on the motorway thats just asking for a pile up, maybe they let them go because the driver was getting iratic and didn't want to put the public in danger, if you look at Roadwars on Sky you will know it happens all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

There has been talk for a long time about drawing up some sort of agreement (bilateral and/or EU) giving the police forces on either side of the border powers to pursue suspects a certain distance across it but i dunno if it ever came to anything.

Given that on a lot of minor cross border roads the exact position of the border is not clearly marked and not immediately obvious to anyone without pretty good local knowledge I dont see how unintentional incursions are not a pretty common occurance.

There is few roads (most notably the N54/A3) which cross the border multiple times and have "enclaves" within one jurisdiction which are all but inaccessible without passing through the other. Ive always been curious as to how such roads are policed and what is the situation with regard to supply of public utilities and other services to homes and businesses located in such enclaves ?

Not sure if the radios in Gardai/PSNI vehicles are capable of direct intercommunication either or if theyd still have to talk to their respective stations ?

• Advertisement

Erm... read the post you quoted.

i did read it. why did they stop, why didnt they just slow down and contine up the road at the speed limit.

ThePower11 wrote: »
    They didn't just stop dead on the motorway thats just asking for a pile up, maybe they let them go because the driver was getting iratic and didn't want to put the public in danger, if you look at Roadwars on Sky you will know it happens all the time.

they all pulled into the hard shoulder and stopped at the boarder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Imagine the war on Joe Duffy if PSNI cars were seen to drive with their lights going at speed on the Republic side of the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭delta720

Checked rte and that but nothing up. Whats the craic with the Garda cars stopping at the border? Are they allowed to go into the north to turn to get onto the otherside of the motorway as there is no way of getting back or are they not allowed in the north at all? Theres no other way of them getting back without driving the wrong way down the motorway

Right at the border there's a break in the barrier separating the two directions of traffic. The PSNI have bollards that can be just driven over to do a U-turn, the guards have a few metal poles that retract into the ground. It's just past the Jonesborough exit heading north cause the top of that exit is in the UK while the dual carriageway continues on for a bit still being in the South. The Guards HAVE to stop at the Border, same as the PSNI should never follow someone across into the South, often the PSNI will be waiting at the Border to continue the chase if it's a serious case.

delta720 wrote: »
    Right at the border there's a break in the barrier separating the two directions of traffic. The PSNI have bollards that can be just driven over to do a U-turn, the guards have a few metal poles that retract into the ground. It's just past the Jonesborough exit heading north cause the top of that exit is in the UK while the dual carriageway continues on for a bit still being in the South. The Guards HAVE to stop at the Border, same as the PSNI should never follow someone across into the South, often the PSNI will be waiting at the Border to continue the chase if it's a serious case.
    That makes sense to me.

that explains it then, i was always curious as to who policed that bit of road considering if wither side drove down it they would have had no way of getting back.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

i did read it. why did they stop, why didnt they just slow down and contine up the road at the speed limit.

Did you look to see if there was a nice car shaped hole in the hedge anywhere near them?? :D

Maybe they stopped for a chin-wag about what had happened or what they were to do next...AFAIK they can cross the border to the next turning point, as it is the border twists and turns like a snake around there so how they can definately say they are one side or the other beats me.

Wasnt really a problem for the British Army in the old days they just ploughed on manys the time !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Mike 1972 wrote: »

There is few roads (most notably the N54/A3) which cross the border multiple times and have "enclaves" within one jurisdiction which are all but inaccessible without passing through the other. Ive always been curious as to how such roads are policed and what is the situation with regard to supply of public utilities and other services to homes and businesses located in such enclaves ?

The Gardai use unmarked cars when patrolling such areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Do the Brits and Irish ever cross the border in chases or is that not allowed?

AFAIK, it's not allowed. Marked cars from either force are not permitted to cross the border even when in pursuit.
    There's a situation near Clones where the road* to Cavan crosses the border several times and the Gardaí can only use it when in an unmarked car. Marked cars must take a longer route which avoids the border entirely.

[Edit]*N54/A3 as previously mention by Mike 1972 [/edit]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭skinny90

The Guards HAVE to stop at the Border, same as the PSNI should never follow someone across into the South, often the PSNI will be waiting at the Border to continue the chase if it's a serious case.
    Are you sure,i know they could get into bother with insurance if there was damaged caused and they didnt contact the psni but surely they can keep up if the psni are not their in time ot if they contact them and its autherised???im sure there has to be some sort of set up or conditions gathered as to when they can do so....i am only guessing here

Advertisement