Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you do to prepare today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Over the last few weeks Ive got the gas boiler serviced, A ton of coal,turf and logs as ive reopened my fireplace (rather have the open fire in winter time) Chimney cleaned Stored extra food, water Checked pipes for insulating covers (replaced where needed) Need to pick up a better fire guard thats really it for now but im sure ill find alot more to do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Sent away for the keychain version of this

http://www.vat19.com/dvds/the-inkless-metal-pen.cfm

That's an inkless metal pen, writes forever in almost any conditions and doesn't need ink or sharpening really.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

over the last couple of weeks i've been revamping my sewing skills.
    Have undertaken to pass these on to my friends little girl and so started a weekly sewing class with her.

I'm using a delightful book from 1913 called the mary frances sewing book, which weaves a slightly ludicrous story around a very solid set of sewing lessons for a total beginner. By the end the child would be ready for most craft projects, and ready to move on to learning to use a machine, or would now be able to sew her own clothes by hand.

The book is available free as a pdf from here:

http://archive.org/details/maryfrancessewin00frye

sewing is a very useful skill in a survival household, and not a bad one to have in a recession too.:)

Also acquired another nice mora knife, the carbon steel one, does not have quite as nice a finish as the stainless steel, i'm wondering if i've been ripped off with a cheap imitation, however it is still a very sharp and very serviceable knife, and was only meant for a back up to the stainless steel one.

Have been moving my personal fitness goals forward - yahoo, have lost 5% of my body weight and done some delightful rambling around wicklow, including a few places I did not know before.

Continuing to declutter, clutter is the enemy of preparedness.:mad::rolleyes:

Also got the river cottage book on foraging on the seashore, its great, thanks for whoever here recommneded it, i am really enjoying the read.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Aquired a bit of a cheap looking and cheap feeling khukri (but perfectly usable and easy to sharpen) and 2 more hens that are point of lay. Increased my food & water supplies and got tons of jacks roll :-) disinfectant, bleach and long life goodies for the kids (chocolate covered rice cakes, jelly sweets with god knows what in them that preserves them!). I'm pretty sure that, along with the veg we'll be growing and eggs from the hens, I'll never be satisfied with how much I've got. It really is a prepping bug isn't it!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Also acquired another nice mora knife, the carbon steel one, does not have quite as nice a finish as the stainless steel, i'm wondering if i've been ripped off with a cheap imitation, however it is still a very sharp and very serviceable knife, and was only meant for a back up to the stainless steel one.

Not likely to be a mora copy, they only cost fifteen quid odd. The carbon steel ones have a sort of dimpled finish on the sides, and need a rub of mineral oil to stop them rusting.
    They take a great edge and touch up easily, makes a great "bushcraft" knife!

• Advertisement

I became branch secretary for the Red Cross in Dungarvan?

Ordered two Benchmade rescue hooks, good for severing clothing!

Same order got me a Dave Canterbury Pathfinder TOPS knife, nice size and a good job to have in SAR!

Must get a SAR unit in Dungaran now!

Wife is away for the weekend with her relations. Kids are in bed.

Making char cloth in an old sweetie tin on the fire ;)

I want to be Daryl from "Walking Dead" when I grow up...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Not likely to be a mora copy, they only cost fifteen quid odd. The carbon steel ones have a sort of dimpled finish on the sides, and need a rub of mineral oil to stop them rusting.
    They take a great edge and touch up easily, makes a great "bushcraft" knife!

Carbon steel is easier to sharpen, mightn't look as pretty as stainless but you can edge it on a rock...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I like to use Fallkniven DC4 stone or diamong Diafold hones for sharpening in the field. At home I have lots of gear to put edges on.

But in a pinch I can use a river rock or the frosted edge of a car window to sharpen a carbon steel knife, I love Mora and Svord for that kind of abuse.
    Using an old Frost's knife atm. making char cloth!

64542_3519487600669_827960930_n.jpg

536617_3519488120682_1847165700_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I worked to prepare friends for a small vehicular tits up. As a Christmas gift for everyone, and I decided to make car-tits up bags. You never know when you might be spending a few hours in a ditch in the sticks as the weather is getting colder.

Beer can stove, meths, enamel mug, and lighter and soup.
    First aid kit with added medication and bits. Also asprin as a pain killer and to jump flat batteries. (it works!)
    Foil blanket and candles
    Poncho
    Electrical tape
    Flashlight and batteries to be added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 RodeoClown

Hi, you all have some great ideas and thoughts!

anyone interested on joining a closed group on FBook?

we just started it, Irish Preppers Group

It's for all types or levels of Preppers, from the extremes of Doomsday Preppers to like's of people like me that prepare for winter by storing up logs/wood in the summer for winter.

let me know what you think?

http://www.facebook.com/groups/irishpreppersnetwork/

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Hit the Eurasia supermarket in Clondalkin (Dublin) and got bulk bags of Basmati rice, lentils and huge tins of spinach puree, also got a snow shovel which doubles up as a chicken sh1te scooper upper (which we put in the compost bin for our raised beds).

Over the last week ive been sorting out my winter kit blankets hats gloves scarfs cleats and getting some extra food and water in just in case the weather hits as bad as they say it might

got two hundred and fifty KG of coal and a lash of briquettes and wood.

also went and destroyed my new boots by taking them accross a woods in the mud just to see how dry and comfortable they are.
    im pretty happy with them. gave them a clean and some waterproofing spray and they revived perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

mawk wrote: »
    got two hundred and fifty KG of coal and a lash of briquettes and wood.

also went and destroyed my new boots by taking them accross a woods in the mud just to see how dry and comfortable they are.
    im pretty happy with them. gave them a clean and some waterproofing spray and they revived perfectly
    Heard that there'll be a shortage of brigettes this year as bord na mona only met 25% of their quota ( friend in bord na mona). Airports are stocked up on salt etc as their expecting bad weather as early as next week (from a guy in the daa). And long range forecast is for a White crimbo. A very cold White crimbo. I've a good few pallets and a whack load of old scaffold planks, a saw and a tomahawk I made out of a shingling hammer, sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Oh, and lots of pasta, tins of fish, meat, veg and fruit. Flour, bread mixes and baking soda. Tried out the tin of corned beef and beans, think khannie mentioned it( sorry if it was someone else), god damn tasty. Mixed up in a zip lock bag with some oats and heated in boiling water. Now that's some good eating!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

cleaned out the queen of clutters car (aka mrs jugger) it sounds easy doesn't it ;)

at one point i was impressed as she had two torches .....neither worked:eek:

on the up side i now get to put together a car kit mrs jugger has even given the go ahead so any hints tips or links you guys want to share ???

jugger wrote: »
    cleaned out the queen of clutters car (aka mrs jugger) it sounds easy doesn't it ;)

on the up side i now get to put together a car kit mrs jugger has even given the go ahead so any hints tips or links you guys want to share ???
    For the weather we are expecting to get id say
    1) Warm coat also a blanket (for while she is waiting for you to get to her:D) Gloves hat scarf
    2) Hi viz vest is always good for when changing a wheel or having to walk
    3) Flashlight Batteries Whistle
    4) Car phone charger
    5) Boiled Sweets Extra cash Water
    6) Folding shovel (For when you get there to dig her out of the snow)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

grapeape wrote: »
    For the weather we are expecting to get id say
    1) Warm coat also a blanket (for while she is waiting for you to get to her:D) Gloves hat scarf
    2) Hi viz vest is always good for when changing a wheel or having to walk
    3) Flashlight Batteries Whistle
    4) Car phone charger
    5) Boiled Sweets Extra cash Water
    6) Folding shovel (For when you get there to dig her out of the snow)

not bad i would never have thought of a high viz vest or whistle this kit might get out of hand quickly......and i had just emptyed the boot :pac:

If she doesn't have a sealed, maintenance fee battery, then add some aspirin. It cab be used to get a dead battery going to try start the car. Also, im always pushing stoves. Hexi stove or a beer can stove.

A cup of tea would go a long way while waiting in a snowy ditch for two hours .

And candles provide about enough warmth to keep comfortable in a small space like a car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

mawk wrote: »
    Hexi stove or a beer can stove.
    I believe hexamine is poisonous indoors so don't try to use it in the car. Firelighters should be okay if a bit stinky.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Deerhound

Water, Brew Kit (Tea bags, coffee, sugar), Comfort food (Chocolate, biscuits, etc.)
    Steel cup, small pot or tin. (Under 750 ml. Drinking and Cooking.)
    Hot Food (Soup, Noodles etc.)
    I would go for a sleeping bag over a blanket, opened it will cover two but if you are alone you can zip yourself into it.
    Red square of cloth. (In an emergency tie to the aerial to signal distress)
    Chemical light-sticks (Save car and flashlight batteries)
    Small portable radio. (in case the electrics go out)
    It really just depends on what contingencies you want to cover and how much you want to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Danpad wrote: »
    Hit the Eurasia supermarket in Clondalkin (Dublin) and got bulk bags of Basmati rice, lentils and huge tins of spinach puree, also got a snow shovel which doubles up as a chicken sh1te scooper upper (which we put in the compost bin for our raised beds).

Huge cans of food are great for feeding huge numbers... But if you've no power for the fridge you're gonna be ****e sick of spinach purée pretty quick ....big trays of cans are a good bet , if you're nere cork try mr bells in togher ... Beans, pulses , tuna and corned beef (a bit expensive but go well with your rice and peas) and get a big jar of mayo

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

not bad i would never have thought of a high viz vest or whistle this kit might get out of hand quickly......and i had just emptyed the boot :pac:
    Some of these might be a better idea for use in a confined space like a car
    than the likes of hexi stoves

http://evaq8.co.uk/Self-Heating-Food.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Came across these, I will be watching and hoping the price comes down

http://www.sensorcon.com/sensordrone/

Having used equipment for monitoring gaseous levels in a confined entry environment, I would wonder about the calibration of the sensors, can it be done or is it gimmicky?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Got a copy of this (the hardback version) in Easons. Reduced from €29 to €9.99.

http://www.omahonys.ie/catalog/rhs-grow-your-own-veg-fruit-year-planner-p-341600.html

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭drvr

Bought some ICE / Snow Grips for shoes reduced from 5 Euro to 1 Euro in Penneys (Navan)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

I dug in manure to my new bean and pea beds today. used some old chicken wire to make a climbing frame for them. then i lay down some black plastic (also leftover from another project) to heat the ground up.
    I plan on running an experiment this year to see if i can grow some beans and peas without buying any supplies.
    one bed will use only what i can muster in a self sufficient way!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

would ye weird crowd honestly want to live on this earth if there was only a handful of people left? if most of your friends were dead and only you and a few other compulsive worrierswere left? Like come on, what are ye preparing for, if Armageddon is coming, theres no avoiding it! Power is never going to be out here for weeks on end!! we live in Ireland, so no shortage of drinking water!! Get a real hobby guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

^

Username :p

Advertisement