Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corporal Punishment

Options
  • 11-12-2011 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Brought on from reading the thread regarding children being hit.

Do you think corporal punishment should be reintroduced for any criminal who commit petty crimes such as theft etc. purely for those aged 18+ (under 18 is a whole other debate)

I personally believe that it will seriously deter crime as no one wants to be seen outside the local courthouse getting ten lashes in front of everyone laughing at the scum they are.
    It will also free up space in prisons saving time and money for the state.

Corporal Punishment Yay or Nay? 34 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    61% 21 votes
    Other (comment below)
    38% 13 votes

Comments

Corporal Punishment?

I prefer General Beating myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Ivan_itch wrote: »
    I personally believe that it will seriously deter crime as no one wants to be seen outside the local courthouse getting ten lashes in front of everyone laughing at the scum they are.
    It will also free up space in prisons saving time and money for the state.

Do you have any basis for this opinion, or is it just something you "think"?

Can you cite and example of the effectiveness of corporal punishment as a crime deterrent.

As a hint, saying Singapore gets you e-slapped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

i want hangings.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I really don't know how I feel about it. I don't think I want it though. Serving long time is punishment enough in my book. Without my Independence I'd rather be dead again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭amacca

Can you cite and example of the effectiveness of corporal punishment as a crime deterrent.

whada bout de oisle of man?

shure you could leave ure car unlocked wid ure macbook air innit when dey were givin de petty criminals de birch:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think anyone who uses "yay or nay" instead of the correct "yea or nay" should be publicly whipped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I really don't know how I feel about it. I don't think I want it though. Serving long time is punishment enough in my book. Without my Independence I'd rather be dead again.

jesus? is that you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

No corporal punishment but a compulsory docking of all forms (including disability) of state benefit the person receives for several months would suffice. And if the judge couldn't prevent it that would be more fair to the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ivan_itch

I'm just trying to get some friendly banter on the topic to see what your opinoions on it are.
    Would you rob a top from a shop if you had the risk of being lashed in puplic or recieving a suspended sentence for doing it?

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think anyone who uses "yay or nay" instead of the correct "yea or nay" should be publicly whipped.

Yay! I loves a bit of accuracy me.

• Advertisement

No corporal punishment but a compulsory docking of all forms of state benefit the person receives for several months would suffice

Good job sir, excellent trolling.

*gets popcorn, waits for snowball effect*
    I'm just trying to get some friendly banter on the topic to see what your opinoions on it are.
    Would you rob a top from a shop if you had the risk of being lashed in puplic or recieving a suspended sentence for doing it?

If you want some friendly banter then answer some friendly questions...why do you believe it would help? What examples can you offer to imply it's anything other than wishful thinking on your part?

If i was gonna rob a top i'd rob a top, whenever i have made the decision to break the law I haven't really considered the probable punishment too much, because i don't give a ****.

No corporal punishment but a compulsory docking of all forms (including disability) of state benefit the person receives for several months would suffice. And if the judge couldn't prevent it that would be more fair to the victims.

Id settle for that biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Corporal Punishment?

I prefer General Beating myself.

Sergeant Slaughter was great too

I voted yes to skew the statistics and see if I could amplify the outrage effect

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

A few belts would be soft enough in comparison with dropping the soap.

Nay.

I'm not trying to troll, I'm being brutally honest. I'm not trying to demonise the innocent who get benefits just punish the few scum out there... severely. But physical punishment is abhorrent.

I'm not trying to troll, I'm being brutally honest. I'm not trying to demonise the innocent who get benefits just punish the few scum out there... severely. But physical punishment is abhorrent.

So what to you do for employed people who break the law?

It does happen.

AnamGlas wrote: »
    A few belts would be soft enough in comparison with dropping the soap.

Nay.

The majority or them will never see the inside of a prison and know it, hence the need for a deterrent.

I'm not trolling either, but the current system clearly isnt working.

So what to you do for employed people who break the law?

It does happen.

They pay from their own pockets but at least they don't receive funds then the same peoples they steal from.

• Advertisement

I'm not trolling either, but the current system clearly isnt working.

One last time, then i'm consigning you to the bold poster corner...why do you think corporal punishment would help?

I'm an open minded guy, more than willing to change my opinion in the face of any logical and well backed up argument.

All you gotta do is bring some facts here and you will have a convert.
    They pay from their own pockets but at least they don't receive funds then the same peoples they steal from.

Of course they do, they have kids and cars and houses and need water and protection by the cops and a health service and an education system and all the other good **** that comes from living in our society and paying your taxes...and because everyone else pays their taxes you have roads to drive on etc etc etc

If you think some dude hasn't metaphorically spat in your face with his crimes just because he pays taxes you are a more forgiving soul than I.

One last time, then i'm consigning you to the bold poster corner...why do you think corporal punishment would help?

I'm an open minded guy, more than willing to change my opinion in the face of any logical and well backed up argument.

All you gotta do is bring some facts here and you will have a convert.

Thanks for having an open mind.
    I said this in a reply earlier, would you commit a crime knowing that you were to recieve ten lashes in public and jeered for your scummy behaviour by a crowd, or if you were to recive a suspended sentence or just pay a fine.

Thanks for having an open mind.
    I said this in a reply earlier, would you commit a crime knowing that you were to recieve ten lashes in public and jeered for your scummy behaviour by a crowd, or if you were to recive a suspended sentence or just pay a fine.

I answered the question, I wouldn't give a **** either way. If i was going to commit a crime then the punishment wouldn't stop me from doing so.

Now then, an important factor, the answer to that question of one person doesn't prove a thing.

Like i said, bring some facts for me...none of this anecdotal "he said, she said" bull****.

Otherwise i shall simply assume you have nothing in the way on an actually interesting discussion and i'm gonna have to go back to talking about how our feet might evolve into leg-cocks some day.

You can save me from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

All for it. Public whippings would be great. Even charge a fiver a whip and leave the general public whip the fools. Make a bitta money out of it.

I answered the question, I wouldn't give a **** either way. If i was going to commit a crime then the punishment wouldn't stop me from doing so.

Now then, an important factor, the answer to that question of one person doesn't prove a thing.

Like i said, bring some facts for me...none of this anecdotal "he said, she said" bull****.

Otherwise i shall simply assume you have nothing in the way on an actually interesting discussion and i'm gonna have to go back to talking about how our feet might evolve into leg-cocks some day.

You can save me from that.

I think you should start a thread on the feet to leg-cocks evolution regardless.

Its after hours im not trying to pass legislation here, but in my opinion I think alot of those commiting petty crime would think twice about commiting the crime, and if it stops just one person from going through with it, it would be worthwile.

I think you should start a thread on the feet to leg-cocks evolution regardless.

Its after hours im not trying to pass legislation here, but in my opinion I think alot of those commiting petty crime would think twice about commiting the crime, and if it stops just one person from going through with it, it would be worthwile.

Don't get me wrong, i'd love to live in a world where the threat of something was enough to stop people taking a certain course of action...but corporal punishment has, that i am aware of, never been proven to actually do this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Would you commit a crime if you could be sent to prison?

Would you commit a crime if you could get the death penalty?

The answer to both questions is that yes, some people would, and that is why your idea is retarded.

seanybiker wrote: »
    All for it. Public whippings would be great. Even charge a fiver a whip and leave the general public whip the fools. Make a bitta money out of it.

I've a 20 burning a hole in my pocket...thats 4 lashes for you Anto ya pensioner robbin , unprovoked attackin.....tracksuit wearing scummer!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Copporal and capital. I love them all.

• Advertisement

Would you commit a crime if you could be sent to prison?

Would you commit a crime if you could get the death penalty?

The answer to both questions is that yes, some people would, and that is why your idea is retarded.

But the thing is poeople know that they will get away with handy prison sentences or even a suspended sentence for crimes, you could wolk down the road and stab a man to death and you will more than likely be out in less than ten years, thats not as much of a deterrant compared to america where its 30+, its the severity of the punishment that stops the crime being commited, obviously there still will be the few who wil do it regardless.

My point is to try and reduce crimes, not eliminate completely. Im not in power...yet

Advertisement