Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money saving tips

Options
  • 11-12-2011 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Right folks I need to start saving money as my job isn't too secure in the new year. I have cut down on how much money I spend on CDs, books, clothes etc. and claimed tax back for rent paid over the last few years.

Any other money saving tips fellow boards members would like to share? I have been working since I left school and always had enough money to get by without having to worry. I'm not used to saving and having to watch what I spend so any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Homeless people are a valuable and non-threatening source of food.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Don't eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Save a €5 and don't subscribe to boards for a month

The Sex and Sexuality forum was a big let down :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭ThePower11

Become a rent boy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Become a rent boy and get ThePower11 to be one of your clients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Dont drink, you would be surprised how much you save.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭ThePower11

Become a rent boy and get ThePower11 to be one of your clients.
    Too late I have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

ThePower11 wrote: »
    Too late I have one.

I know, sure you are the reason I got my username.

X x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Read through this topic, your bound to find some tips in it:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055454434

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Who the hell buys cds these days. Its not the 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

pragmatic1 wrote: »

I'd much prefer to buy a CD than download an album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Set up savings account with s/o each week/month. And one that you get access on line.

Bring your lunch to work each day instead of going out.

Start making a list of everything you buy each day. After the first week review it and cut out the stuff you don't need. Repeat this every week even if you think you can't cut out any more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

HOS 1997 wrote: »
    I'd much prefer to buy a CD than download an album.

Wont save much money with that attitude.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Bash your head in so you go into a coma. Then you save on food, books, nights out, CD's, and spending money in general. Just make sure you've health insurance first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Don't buy bottle water, premade sandwiches or take away coffee.

Shop in Aldi, make a list of essentials and stick to it rigidly. Shop once a week. Never EVER buy things like breakfast cereal or firelighters in a small shop or petrol station. You will pay double. You need to plan properly to avoid this.

In fact, don't buy firelighters at all, one sheet of a tabloid newspaper will ignite a correctly prepared fire. And don't buy the newspaper, get a free one.

If you must have luxuiries, choose them wisely... a lucozade in a shop is 2 quid - you can guy a 20 pack of it in my local market for 8 quid. Buy second hand stuff - people desperately need cash so take advantage of them, and shift items you have around the house yourself that you're not using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

HOS 1997 wrote: »
    Right folks I need to start saving money as my job isn't too secure in the new year. I have cut down on how much money I spend on CDs, books, clothes etc. and claimed tax back for rent paid over the last few years.

Any other money saving tips fellow boards members would like to share? I have been working since I left school and always had enough money to get by without having to worry. I'm not used to saving and having to watch what I spend so any advice would be welcome.

Figure out how much do you actually need! cost of moving, flights, accommodation etc much easier to achieve if you have a set figure to strive for also its worth your while to write down your costs on a average day/week! you'd be surprised how much we spend on the little habits like daily coffees/paper etc make sure you have enough to cover at least six months or so not easy but you need to be prepared to cover costs until you gain an income for a period of time!

Drive down any needless debt you have! i.e anything outstanding on credit cards, overdrafts if you don't have those lucky you!

If you could moving back with parents if you can saving on rent of course the bills that come with it not ideal for your parents if you don't contribute much to the house but I'm sure they'd understand and it is only short term!

I've just realised how much I spend every day/week on lunches out, newspapers, coffees etc. They are going to be cut out this week.

I only have a current account so I will look at opening a savings account as well.

The idea of a expenses diary as well is quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Broads.ie

Don't buy bottle water, premade sandwiches or take away coffee.

Fair enough about the bottled water and sanguidges, but not buying take away coffe is a bit extreme. Sometimes you just need a fucking coffee.

Also HOS, start using rice, it's fecking great and goes with everything hot or cold.

Bring lunchboxes to work, make the lunch before you go to bed and throw the lunchbox in the fridge, ready for the morning.

Check the recession fridge in Tesco and Lidl where they have discounts on all the stuff that's going off. Nothing ever wrong with it.

If you're a fan of Indian food and usually buy a jar of sauce, learn how to make curry sauce from scratch. Surprisingly easy and yum. Same with pasta sauce.

You know you can actually skip dinner one day a week, you won't die. Just make a lovely sangidge or two, eat some cereal, snack, beans on toast, whatever.

CDs, Books and DVDs can be bought online.

I never do a big weekly shop which in hindsight is a bad idea when trying to save money. I just go to the local shop a few times a week and buy what I need there. Again, that is changing this week.

With books and CDs, most of the time I buy them out of habit as I usually find it hard leaving a record shop or bookshop with out buying. Same goes for clothes, was having a clean out recently and was shocked with how much stuff I have only wore a few times.

I was thinking about selling stuff on Ebay and putting the money I earn into a 'redundancy' fund so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Broads.ie wrote: »
    Sometimes you just need a fucking coffee.

But of course. However don't buy it as part of a daily routine if you want to save money.

One take away coffee every day for a month is €60+. If you buy filter coffee in Aldi amd make it at home you'd get a month out of maybe €6 - €8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Get a piece of cardboard. Use this to wave at the Dublin Bus driver while exclaiming "Me pass.. me pass" when getting on. The driver will think you are an unfortunate addict with a free bus pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭MLH1

Cancel your Sky or NTL subscription and switch to Freesat, you have a once off installation charge of 200-300 euro, you get all BBC 1,2,3,4 , ITV1,2,3,4, E4, FILM 3e ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Take the family of a wealthy individual hostage and ask for 12 million pesetas
    or

Dont eat or travel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

MLH1 wrote: »
    Cancel your Sky or NTL subscription and switch to Freesat, you have a once off installation charge of 200-300 euro, you get all BBC 1,2,3,4 , ITV1,2,3,4, E4, FILM 3e ect.

I don't understand why people bother getting Sky/UPC packages. Who has the time these days to actually watch any of it?

To be honest, RTE and TV3 do me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Get a rubber glove, fill fingers of glove with milk, tie string around the base of the fingers of rubber glove and cut a finger every time you want milk for your tea to prevent you from using too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Use breast milk instead of avonmore. If you haven't got a breast to milk then you are **** out of luck and will probably be homeless in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭William_Hicley

If you have internet connection in your home, then get rid of the mobile phone. Its costing you a fortune and you will be fine without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Get a rubber glove, fill fingers of glove with milk, tie string around the base of the fingers of rubber glove and cut a finger every time you want milk for your tea to prevent you from using too much.

Gross Eve! Rubbery milk!

If you have internet connection in your home, then get rid of the mobile phone. Its costing you a fortune and you will be fine without it.

My mobile is pay as you go and I don't spend much every month on it. Not a huge expense for me even if my income is reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

pragmatic1 wrote: »

Honest folk?

I'm assuming you mean 'paying for music' and not the purchase of the physical disk instead of a purchased electronic download.

Advertisement