Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa 156 so far (review)...

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My now "a donor car" 156 did 800-1000 miles a week for 2 years, and needed an oil top up about once a month, so 4k miles for a litre of oil?

The suspension finally collapsed completely on it and was uneconomical to repair.
    Confab for fault codes you can get fiatecuscan software for free, and just need the cable then.
    If you've the airbag fault, check the connectors under your front seats, then see if you can clear it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

From memory, when the stat is good the engine temp is low 80's in summer and high 70's in winter

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    From memory, when the stat is good the engine temp is low 80's in summer and high 70's in winter

Yup, mine was just below 90 in summer, and climbed in heavy traffic then kicked in and lowered, heart attack inducing first time it did it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Stheno wrote: »
    Yup, mine was just below 90 in summer, and climbed in heavy traffic then kicked in and lowered, heart attack inducing first time it did it :)

I think it varies slightly depending on the engine....mine was the 1.8 and was typically 82/84 in summer and just below 80 in winter. Also seen it climb to 90 on the odd occasion in heavy traffic but my commutes are generally long runs so it was rare.

I was never really worried with the 156 if it was going to overheat. But when I had the E39 any sign of the gauge at all going above the half way mark it was panic stations :eek: Heating controls up to full temp & speed and find an open road asap

The stats on the 156 will eventually fail...I think mine was at 65k miles when it had to be replaced. The great thing about them failing open is that you dont have to worry about it overheating...you can just change it at your leisure when the time suits you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ferris wrote: »
    To be fair some may use a bit but its a totally subjective thing and is related to the quality of maintainence of what is an ageing car.

I have a nissan that uses a bit, the brother has a 520 that uses a lot and I had a tdi golf that drank it yet none of these cars have the reputation for oil usage that the alfa does. Now its me thats scaremongering:D

A lot of 156s used oil from new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭zizou_

Had a 2.0TS 156 a few years ago. Airbag light came up loads of times - turns out the sensor under the passenger seat is really sensitive. Hoovering the car or sliding the passenger seat forward in any sort of a rough way would set it off. The answer was not to clean the car or let passengers get comfy.:o

Had a temperature problem but only when the a/c was on in slow traffic. Would creep up well above 90 and would come down to 90 as soon as I turned off a/c. Bit of a pain on a rainy/hot day. Never got to the bottom of it before i sold it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

gpf101 wrote: »
    A lot of 156s used oil from new.

Fair enough, ours doesnt :p.

In saying that its been with the dealer we bought it off for a week with a duff throttle body sensor. They are saying thats what was bringing up the engine mangt. error and causing the loss of power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Stheno wrote: »
    Confab for fault codes you can get fiatecuscan software for free, and just need the cable then.
    If you've the airbag fault, check the connectors under your front seats, then see if you can clear it :)

Found out recently that the donor leather seats don't have sensors in them, so there's nothing for the airbag loom to connect to! I'll be getting the cables soon. Thinking of getting a donor car in a few months if I can find the right spec/colour, otherwise I'll be changing the gauges to red and the center console to wood/silver effect.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Im not mad about the wood effect, can I ask does the ashtrain door on your fully close? I can see the light behind it while driving and it annoys the crap out of me?

Yeah it does close, but you're right, the wood effect isn't great, maybe I should go for silver. Best thing about Alfas is the infinity of cheap parts. I can change the whole look of the dash for less than €100!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I sprayed my wood-effect console myself and replaced the (genuine-actual-made-of-woody-stuff) wooden gear knob for a leather replacement too.
    Easy to pick up a second hand console if you prefer a straight swap.

• Advertisement

cjt156 wrote: »
    I sprayed my wood-effect console myself and replaced the (genuine-actual-made-of-woody-stuff) wooden gear knob for a leather replacement too.
    Easy to pick up a second hand console if you prefer a straight swap.

Did you spray it another colour or just made the wood effect better? If so, how did you do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I sanded it all over with a very fine 2000 grade wet & dry paper. Then plastic primer, silver base coat and finally a clear lacquer. All built up in very fine layers, left to dry and sanded back slightly between coats.
    The matt black area inside the dial-recesses need to be carefully masked off first, you don't want mad reflections at night. The ashtray is done separately.

I took my time and did it over a couple of evenings. Drove with console out of the car which may have raised some questions had anyone taken a close look. I think it was worth it. Ignore the phone kit - this was done many moons ago! Oh and the velour has been replaced by grey Momo leather since, too.

image2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I looked into buying a 156 lately and one of the most worrying issues I came across was the bonnet catch fault.

As you seem to be a person that's happy to maintain the car yourself I'd definitely check it out, there's a fix here. Read loads of accounts of people driving down motorways and having the bonnet fly up and smash their windscreen.

Also, any pics of the car? Sounds like a nice machine.

I looked into buying a 156 lately and one of the most worrying issues I came across was the bonnet catch fault.

As you seem to be a person that's happy to maintain the car yourself I'd definitely check it out, there's a fix here. Read loads of accounts of people driving down motorways and having the bonnet fly up and smash their windscreen.

Also, any pics of the car? Sounds like a nice machine.

Yeah the bonnet catch issue is a known fault, but in general it's obvious if there's a problem, the catch will be very rusty. There'll be a ripple/rust on the roof if the bonnet did blow off. Mine's fine and operates without complaint.

No pics yet, it's not clean enough!

Slightly off topic, does anyone's 156 fusebox cover actually stay on? Mine pops off so much I can't be bothered putting it back.
    I took my time and did it over a couple of evenings. Drove with console out of the car which may have raised some questions had anyone taken a close look. I think it was worth it. Ignore the phone kit - this was done many moons ago! Oh and the velour has been replaced by grey Momo leather since, too.

A lovely job, looks much better than the standard silver console. I have the black leather Momos, a pleasure to park my behind on.

Advertisement