Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Other then the obvious? What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

beauf wrote: »

I want to know what the 2nd guy was doing waving around a chopping board?!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,296 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

nikpmup wrote: »
    I want to know what the 2nd guy was doing waving around a chopping board?!

Trying to block the shine from the lights being visible inside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

beauf wrote: »

The obvious been car was been robbed . The not so obvious how they did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,296 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The obvious been car was been robbed . The not so obvious how they did it.

There's a flaw on BMW's of that age where there's a blindspot in the front of the door area where it's possible to get access without the alarm going off, the thief then connects to the ODB port of the BMW and uses software to clone a blank key to match that of the car, once this process is complete that key will start the kay and away they go.

This flaw is widespread amongst most cars from 2010 to 2014 or so that have keyless entry, there was a lot of it in the media some months back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Lot to be said for a chain and padlock. 1970s tech wins every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Lot to be said for a chain and padlock. 1970s tech wins every time.

Not when they can just saw through the steering wheel. Modern cars have weaker wheels which are designed to fold rearward in the case of an accident, it'll take a thief no more than 10 seconds to saw through a wheel and dump the chain on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Owner of the car is on Joe Duffy right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

septictank wrote: »
    Owner of the car is on Joe Duffy right now.

Anyone hear what he said on joe Duffy re the robbery?

Not when they can just saw through the steering wheel. Modern cars have weaker wheels which are designed to fold rearward in the case of an accident, it'll take a thief no more than 10 seconds to saw through a wheel and dump the chain on the floor.

Im glad i have a banger of interest to no one so.
    You'd never have a minutes peace with a decent motor around here unless you had twin rottweilers in residence. Even then they'd probably fence the dogs online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

It was a woman, the wife, the guards had told her that they have a key cloning device that sends a signal to the keys in the house, which then sends a signal to the car to open the doors.

A guy came on who knew a bit more about it and said that they need to have a metal thing between the car and the keys in the house to boost the signal, i'm guessing tin foil on the chopping board that was being waved about.

The guy working on the car also had a stick/bar that he used to push down on the clutch to start the car.

He also said that if the car cut out at any time after the robbery that it couldn't be started again without the proper key.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Anyone know what happened in the hartstown area last night?

Woken up by sirens and that was for a while. Add to that the Garda helicopter was flying nearly directly above me for nearly an hour. This was around 2.30

Anyone hear anything about last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Same last night directly over the house real low and real loud, I even checked this thread last night in bed to see if anyone knew what was going on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Possible hit and run on Lohunda Dale around 3.40am, woman in critical condition, transferred to Beaumont from Connolly.

http://www.thejournal.ie/woman-injured-car-accident-clonsilla-2759882-May2016/?utm_source=facebook_short

• Registered Users Posts: 19 darcey1971

There was an incident on the Blakestown Road at 2.20am, the early hours of Monday morning.
    Crime scene, house cordoned off all day, ambulance, sirens and helicopter overhead until 3.30am. I live on the road and have no idea what happened but the police were there until late on Monday evening. I was sure there would have been something in the media about it.

It was a hit and run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/motherofone-siobhan-is-left-fighting-for-life-after-hitandrun-34703838.html- Lohunda hit & run.
    Our neighbours car was shunted into our garden by a drunken driver the previous night at 4am. Caught on cctv & apprehended thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 darcey1971

The Lohunda incident was in the early hours of Sunday morning, the Blakestown one was the early hours of Monday morning, so not sure it they are connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

yep, the incident i was referring to was sunday night/monday morning at around 2.30-3

zef wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/motherofone-siobhan-is-left-fighting-for-life-after-hitandrun-34703838.html- Lohunda hit & run.
    Our neighbours car was shunted into our garden by a drunken driver the previous night at 4am. Caught on cctv & apprehended thankfuly
    CCTV is very good. I wonder if any local neighbourhood watch groups have gotten together to get a better price with a company to install such a system. It wouldn't be a bad idea for people in areas to get together and have every property covered

• Advertisement

4 ethnic types with their own culture testing alarms by knocking hard on doors around Castaheany / Clonee this afternoon. Early 20s, driving a black Golf GTI, early 00's model, LK reg, similar to pic at link below

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh235/V1STA/IMG_0106.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

4 ethnic types with their own culture

What is that even supposed to mean? Irish-speakers from the gaeltacht area of Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Gaspode wrote: »
    What is that even supposed to mean? Irish-speakers from the gaeltacht area of Kerry?

A certain group of people that love to move around but live in houses

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

4 ethnic types with their own culture testing alarms by knocking hard on doors around Castaheany / Clonee this afternoon. Early 20s, driving a black Golf GTI, early 00's model, LK reg, similar to pic at link below

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh235/V1STA/IMG_0106.jpg
    Thanks for the car info.
    A friend was broken into this afternoon in Ongar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

Why cant people say they are x type without beating around the bush or someone throwing in a trying to be clever reply?

Imagine it on other threads on boards

Something is on special on a place that has the same name as a rainforest

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

We've been over this enough already that the readers & posters on this thread know what I'm getting at.
    The point I'm making is that one cant decide what 'type' people are unless you know them personally, or you approach them and ask for their passport, ID, family tree, religious beliefs, etc.
    Therefore you shouldn't really make assumptions & post here that the suspicious characters seen about the place were of a particular ethnicity or background. Just say '4 blokes in black Golf' (or whatever) & have done with it.

You know well what it means, lets not beat around the bush here. I heard them in conversation, and I'm not stupid. We are talking about peoples property being under threat in an area with a persistently high burglary rate.

Ongarite, it may or may not be connected but unfortunately I didnt get the full reg number.

In reality I don't know what it means, I'd have to guess - I cant be bothered trying though, because as said many times on this thread, your guess (or anyone else's) at a persons ethnicity is utterly irrelevant.
    A burglar is a burglar is a burglar and their 'ethnicity', skin colour, creed, nationality etc, etc, etc, makes no shred of difference to the crime.

You're a regular contributor here & had something valuable to add to the thread, but you also know the score around here as this sort of thing comes up regularly, especially on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPT

A burglar is a burglar is a burglar and their 'ethnicity', skin colour, creed, nationality etc, etc, etc, makes no shred of difference to the crime.

While it may make no difference to the crime, it can make a huge difference when it comes to providing an accurate description of a person or group.

If I encounter someone acting suspiciously and if I determine from speaking with or hearing the individual that they have a distinctive accent, I'll include that info when making a report to the Guards or when warning my neighbours on here.

Similarly, if a distinctively dressed group of people are acting suspiciously it makes perfect sense to provide an accurate description of the group and how they are dressed.

The more detailed the description, the better IMO.

• Advertisement

Look, I'm going to call a halt to this discussion as it's drifting OT.
    As said many times before, stick to facts only here. I cant keep re-stating this time & time again.

Advertisement