Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,817 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

bigsuge1 wrote: »
    Being from scotland I find it crazy how people talk to the Gardai in Ireland - Jason Hennessy For instance in that scene when he’s calling the copper every name under the sun and threatening to ride him. He would have been nicked and had the sh!t kicked out of him once he got back to the cells from 10 of them. Why are the Gards so soft?

They are, on telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

RoryMac wrote: »
    I'd also like to think their reaction would've been a little different if the tv crew wasn't standing there filming it

I know some Guards and they'll tell you that they just have to take it. Any time they put a foot wrong the person walks. The days of going around giving a few slaps to wayward criminals are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,817 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nijmegen wrote: »
    I know some Guards and they'll tell you that they just have to take it. Any time they put a foot wrong the person walks. The days of going around giving a few slaps to wayward criminals are long gone.

No, they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

Nijmegen wrote: »

I know a good few guards too and those days are far from gone, far from it.

They might be saying more than their prayers down the pub to be honest, given the amount of criminals who have all sorts of other extenuating circumstances to bring up in court but rarely mention Garda heavy handedness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Members of a certain persuasion going door to door in Ongar today looking to sell rugs..
    Also white Ford Transit 11C14135 driving around the area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Neighbours house in Riverwood Drive broken into - broad day light. Took a hammer to the back door and alarm box. Small amount of cash stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭horse7

Curious as to what is going on at coolmine petrol station at 11am this morning, 2 transit type vans distributing large boxes to people pulling up in cars, quite a lot of people queuing for something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

horse7 wrote: »
    Curious as to what is going on at coolmine petrol station at 11am this morning, 2 transit type vans distributing large boxes to people pulling up in cars, quite a lot of people queuing for something?

Parcel drop by Couriers, happens every week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭horse7

Strange, never came across a courier drop before, I thought the courier brought stuff to your door, Is it from Romania or somewhere else, there were people with suitcases queuing up too?

• Advertisement

Strange, never came across a courier drop before, I thought the courier brought stuff to your door, Is it from Romania or somewhere else, there were people with suitcases queuing up too?

If you’re that curious/nosey/paranoid, why don’t you call down next week and do a vlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

There's a parcel motel at that location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Caranica wrote: »
    There's a parcel motel at that location.

I've never seen this at a parcel motel. I assume its something else.

What is a parcel drop? Never heard of anything as described by horse7.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭plasticheart

Christmas last year and the year before I collected parcels from a van that was a Parcel Motel. I presume it was because they were so busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭raheny red

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    If you’re that curious/nosey/paranoid, why don’t you call down next week and do a vlog.

Give over. Fair questions from horse7 for a neighbourhood watch thread. Could have been something sinister!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

raheny red wrote: »
    Give over. Fair questions from horse7 for a neighbourhood watch thread. Could have been something sinister!

Doubtful at a petrol station covered in CCTV cameras.

LorelaiG wrote: »

Houses covered in CCTV get broken in to.

LorelaiG wrote: »

That station gets robbed fairly often. Once while I was filling up!

Christmas last year and the year before I collected parcels from a van that was a Parcel Motel. I presume it was because they were so busy.

Its probably that. Since lockdown is like xmas for amazon etc.

raheny red wrote: »

Parcel collections are a regular occurrence in Coolmine Industrial Estate for many year. I’ve collected quite a number myself from Parcel Motel, at that very same Filling Station
    Is it from Romania or somewhere else, there were people with suitcases queuing up too?
    What I don’t get is the throwaway Romanian comment. Why single out a particular nationality, what has it got this do with a group of people collecting parcels?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It seems like the question about vans with parcels has been answered so let's move on please.

horse7 I don't know why you singled out one country for your comments but leave it out next time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I saw a report on a Blanchardstown Facebook page that there are suspected to be people using drones to see what you have out in your back garden so if you have anything valuable that could be taken, lock it away overnight. Specific mentions that they might be checking out people's dogs.

Pet robberies seem to be really on the up lately. Gardai specifically calling it out as well as highlighting what seems an increased number of specific cases. Very worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

i dont get it. what is the benefit of stealing a dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Expensive dogs

Bait for dog fighting too.

As the other posters note, either to breed, sell or kill.

During Covid the amount of people looking for a dog has increased and so has the price, both here and abroad. Puppy farming isn't an industry known for being overrun with paternalistic and sometimes law abiding individuals to begin with.

There's also examples of dogs being sold as pups who turn out to be much older. People who buy these dogs are willfully participating in something they would come to dread themselves once they have and fall in love with their pet.

From the Irish Times:
    Demand has far outstripped supply, leading to puppy inflation. A pedigree Labrador pup that cost €500 before the lockdown is selling for €2,000 now. Similarly designer crossbreeds such as the cockapoo or the labradoodle, which sold for €350 before the lockdown are now making €2,000-€2,700, and even mongrel pups, which had no value before the lockdown, are selling for €250, Dogs Trust Ireland said.

Recent research carried out by the charity revealed that 20 per cent of people who purchased a dog during lockdown in Ireland collected their dog on the same day they first inquired about the animal, highlighting a “click and collect” culture around the sale of dogs.

The trend was also noticed in the UK by The Economist some months ago.

20200530_BRC776.png

I would be floored if someone robbed my dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Drone flew by our back garden last week not in d15 but they're a great tool for a thief to check out houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Drone flew by our back garden last week not in d15 but they're a great tool for a thief to check out houses.
    I would expect that the drone would have to be low enough to get a good enough picture to be able to see something of interest.

Does anyone have a drone to confirm or refute this idea?

• Advertisement

daymobrew wrote: »
    I would expect that the drone would have to be low enough to get a good enough picture to be able to see something of interest.

Does anyone have a drone to confirm or refute this idea?

Many drones have quite HD cameras with good zoom.

That being said a drone could be any one of a number of things - a hobbyist getting a view of their area, or someone selling their home getting aerial shots (had this done myself recently) or even a professional reason, like a survey being done. I think the etiquette around flying drones over someone else’s property (or where the cameras can see into the property) is not well established at all.

Advertisement