Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two random photos

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Back in the day, Cork was the biggest box in Ireland and was arguably the hardest to work in the country as it controled the huge yard and the infinite movements around it. I heard of a guy who was sent from Dublin to relieve it for a week (Lord knows who he pissed off!) and on his first night he got distracted with the oft ringing phone and sent an ex Dublin passenger train into the back line behind the platform shed. Back then there was a local shunting rule that required a man to flag the train out if it was shunting the tunnel but because there wasn't a spare man free and departing services the train spent 2 hours before it could be freed and the passengers detrained :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,261 ✭✭✭✭Victor

DSC09928.JPG - December 2010 view from platform 4 across platform 5 to the south docks.

DSC09942.JPG - December 2010 view of platform 4, with the ramp to platform 5. Note the sharp curve to the left - this results in quite a gap between train doors and the platform edge. Most Cork-Dublin-Cork services use platform 4, leaving platform 5 free for Cobh-Mallow services, although there are few of these since the reduction in Cork-Mallow services. Here, the queues for platforms 4 and 5 have become merged and muddled, due to the late boarding of the departure to Dublin.

DSC02489.JPG - The canopy at the front of the station, where many a Bus Éireann driver has tried to re-integrate bus and rail services by striking the canopy. Across the road, behind and above the B&B is the defunct alignment of the original line to Youghal.

DSC02490.JPG - The refurbished main concourse, with the platforms ahead and to the left.

DSC02491.JPG - Platforms 1, 2, 3, ?? and 4. Platforms 1-3 and the stub platform between Platforms 3 and 4 are terminal platforms that serve Cobh and Midleton (and previously Youghal). Platforms 4 and 5 are through platforms. In practice, only 3 platforms are needed, a fourth at most a few times per week). The line to Cobh / Midleton continues into the distance at the base of the ridge of hills to the left.

DSC02493.JPG - The stub platform between Platforms 3 and 4, purpose unknown. There is no track here now, only loose track panels. On the right is the running shed, which has been extended at various points in its life. Above it are the (disused) Irish Rail / Irish Cement silo, transmission pylons and chimneys at Marina Power station.

DSC02492.JPG – More of the shed, with various grain silos on the south docks in the background.

DSC02494.JPG – Grain silos, the Odlum’s building and the MV Julia (Fastnet Line)

DSC02495.JPG – 201-class locomotive 215, preparing to push its train to Dublin.

DSC02496.JPG – Close up of the shed, with another 201-class in the centre and a pair of 2600(?)-class commuter trains. Note the new livery on the one on the right.

DSC02499.JPG - A pair of 2600-class commuter trains are present with 2603 preparing to depart for Cobh at platform 3 and 2609 in a siding beyond platform 1. Again, note the sharp curve in the platforms. Only the straight sections of platforms 1-3 are now used, meaning the track and platform can be properly aligned, reducing the gap.

DSC02503.JPG – Looking from the covered section of platform 4 into the main train hall. Platform 5 to the left, platform 4 in the centre and the concourse to the right. One wonders if this view will be replaced with ticket barriers at some point in the future.

More

And the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

well done Victor. No evidence of the bit I was earlier talking about. Major rebuildiong done there at some time.

(MV Julia in the background...erstwhile Swansea Cork ship.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

corktina wrote: »
    well done Victor. No evidence of the bit I was earlier talking about. Major rebuildiong done there at some time.

(MV Julia in the background...erstwhile Swansea Cork ship.)

Yes there is Corktina. Picture number 5, if you look to the right of the number 3 platform sign you will see the end of the platform where the ramp begins. The buffer stop for the bay you were talking about was just forward of the ramp. Unless you and I are talking about two differt things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

corktina wrote: »
    its quite likely to be 1979, my first visit to Ireland.

I came over with my new fiance to meet the family (pissed for a week but thats another story!) Asked herself if there were any steam engines in Ireland to be told no, only to find no 90 in Mallow and number 36 in Cork on my first day!I thought there must be a loco preseerved on every station !

Mallow and Cork (and everywhere else no doubt) were just fabulous in 1979, original layout and signalling and really intersting trains still

I always assumed you were from Ireland:confused::confused::confused:. Do you mind me asking......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

newmug wrote: »
    I always assumed you were from Ireland:confused::confused::confused:. Do you mind me asking......?

I take that as a complement/

Im here 25 years as of this month and I love Ireland almost as much as the Natives do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

But Where?

imag0210uv.jpg

As far as I seen the line is only used a few times per day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

That's very easy, it's the line from Drogheda to Navan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    That's very easy, it's the line from Drogheda to Navan.

Wow. I cant believe ye got that so easy.

imag0212a.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I will have to take more difficult pics next week.

Advertisement