Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hens / fox

Options
  • 10-12-2011 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Quick one ,

Would a fox climb a 4 foot chainlink fence to get at chickens?

Has it happened to anyone?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Yes, easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yes - Feral/Wild cats will readily do the same thing. An Uncle of mine lost a load of bantams that way a few years back but thankfully managed to catch the culprit in a fox-trap a few days later. These traps are very usefull if your set-up is vulnerable to being raided in this way. Vermin proof poultry accomodation should always but the first line of defence though to minimise hassle and stress - particualry for the hours of darkness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Quick one ,

Has it happened to anyone?

cheers

In his sleep! In fact a fox would make a brave attempt at jumping it.
    They are super climbers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭jack77

piece of p*** to a fox i'd say, ive 2 sheepdogs that got out over a 6 ft wall with a good run, their both a bit nuts though the drop the other side is nearly 9ft. anytin a dog can do i'd back the fox to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

HOw about the ultrasonic repellers??
    I've used one in the past to keep cats away and I know they can be got for foxes....

Anyone used one ??

• Advertisement

bbam wrote: »
    I've used one in the past to keep cats away and I know they can be got for foxes....

Anyone used one ??

I think he'd love you forever...

...the fox that is ;)

Haven't used one, wouldn't rely on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

Anyone used one ??

super sonic bit of lead would work ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Askim wrote: »
    super sonic bit of lead would work ;)

Ah but I don't think there is any need for that... Hunting on our land has always been banned and rightly so...

I was thinking of the ultrasonic as a back up to a decent fence with netting across the top, also have patio slabs round the perimeter with the wire tucked under to prevent digging...

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

Ah but I don't think there is any need for that... Hunting on our land has always been banned and rightly so...

I was thinking of the ultrasonic as a back up to a decent fence with netting across the top, also have patio slabs round the perimeter with the wire tucked under to prevent digging...

if that is what ye want, that's fine with me. ( have your own opinions but respect others )

they are very hard to keep out, slabs would help, 4 strand electric starting at 6" going to 3' with 2 wires live & 2 earth would help, maybe a strand 1/2 way up the fence, also if the top is loose & floppy will help.

it's also said that small bags of human hair can deter them.

A

Askim wrote: »
    it's also said that small bags of human hair can deter them.

I can't give you a source but I read not so long ago that that and urine won't work. Think it was in some poultry magazine or other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

johngalway wrote: »
    I can't give you a source but I read not so long ago that that and urine won't work. Think it was in some poultry magazine or other.

In the UK certain Zoo's/Safari parks sell Lion poop to the public for such purposes - apparently it keeps most things at bay, probably overwhelms the nasal senses of anything the gets a whiff!!:eek::D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

johngalway wrote: »

ur taking the p*ss!! :)

Ding Dong wrote: »
    ur taking the p*ss!!

Not anymore I wouldn't be :D

Advertisement