Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are the British so anti Europe?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭Boroso

There are plenty of countries who participate in the single market without taking part in the political arrangements. Switzerland, Montenegro, The Channel Islands, Macedonia, San Marino and Iceland, to name some.

If Britain opts for something similar, its possible one or two other members might want to follow suit. That might be the most sensible solution, to let those who want their futures bound together politically to do that, and to leave the others who do not want to be politically bound together, such as the countries above.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I'm not sure that Britain would want to class itself, in economic and diplomatic terms, along with Montenegro, San Marino and the Channel Islands!

It is possible to participate in the single market while remaining outside the EU; the European Economic Area is a vehicle for doing precisely that, and the possiblity of the UK joining the EEA has already been canvassed in this thread. This would class them with Switzerland, Iceland and Norway rather than with SM and the Channel Islands.

But there's a cost to doing so; almost total loss of influence over the shape and direction of the single market. EEA members have to observe all the requirements of EU law relevant to the single market, but have practically no say in the formation of that law. That might be acceptable to a small country that would have little influence in the EU anyway; I honestly can't see it as being hugely attractive to the UK.

Besides, if someone's reason for wanting out of the EU is because they want Britain to be able to control immigration independently, for instance, or because they believe that EU economic regulation is too prescriptive, then they don't want to be in the single market either. From their point of view, EEA membership would be pretty much the worst of all worlds.

In reality, are the advocates of UK withdrawal from the EU also advocating continued participation in the single market, through EEA membership? Does anybody know the UKIP position on this? Or the Tory Eurosceptic position?

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I'm not sure that Britain would want to class itself, in economic and diplomatic terms, along with Montenegro, San Marino and the Channel Islands!

I don’t think anyone knows, which is why they are proposing to have a referendum.
    It is possible to participate in the single market while remaining outside the EU; the European Economic Area is a vehicle for doing precisely that, and the possiblity of the UK joining the EEA has already been canvassed in this thread. This would class them with Switzerland, Iceland and Norway rather than with SM and the Channel Islands.

Call it renegotiation or EFTA, call it Brexit or EEA-lite, can call it privileged-partnership, call it associate status or call it Montenotte O’Sullivan the third. Call it by whatever name you will, wouldn't it leave everyone happier?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Boroso wrote: »
    Call it renegotiation or EFTA, call it Brexit or EEA-lite, can call it privileged-partnership, call it associate status or call it Montenotte O’Sullivan the third. Call it by whatever name you will, wouldn't it leave everyone happier?
    Not if their purpose in seeking withdrawal is to enable the UK to keep all those nasty foreigners out. Or to ignore all those "straight banana" regulations that they believe to emanate from Brussels in an endless stream. Or to stop contributing to the EU budget. (Yes, Virginia, EEA members contribute to the EU budget.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

What is so wrong with having free trade deals without becoming a single political entity? Why do we need the bureaucrat Brussels? Can it not be as simple as "wee will not tax imports from your country an you return the favour" who is benefiting from these additional layers of integration when all we really want is to sell each other stuff?

• Advertisement

Not if their purpose in seeking withdrawal is to enable the UK to keep all those nasty foreigners out. Or to ignore all those "straight banana" regulations that they believe to emanate from Brussels in an endless stream. Or to stop contributing to the EU budget. (Yes, Virginia, EEA members contribute to the EU budget.)

This post appears to tell us more about your individual prejudices and tells us nothing about the UK.
    gallag wrote: »
    What is so wrong with having free trade deals without becoming a single political entity? Why do we need the bureaucrat Brussels? Can it not be as simple as "wee will not tax imports from your country an you return the favour" who is benefiting from these additional layers of integration when all we really want is to sell each other stuff?

There is nothing wrong with wanting that, just as there is nothing wrong with wanting deeper political union between countries either.

It seems to me that there may be two Europes emerging, with some wanting deeper ever increasing political union, and others preferring to opt out of that but retain some sort of formal trading arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

The Member States are benefiting from it - otherwise they wouldn't do it. There's more to living cheek by jowl, as the EU states do, than just selling each other stuff. That's why the EU isn't just a free trade area.

Even the UK government wants more out of the EU than just a free trade area - every UK government has, whatever their political bent.

As to the bureaucracy - first, it's a very small bureaucracy. If the UK's civil service were of an equivalent size, it would be about 5,000 permanent civil servants and maybe another 10,000 agency staff.

Second, the rules it creates are joint rules - primarily trade regulations - which take the place of 28 equivalent sets of rules. In their absence, there would be as many different compliance targets as there were European countries you wanted to deal with as export/import partners.

Third, there's a lot more to a single market than just a tariff free area. Most countries wouldn't be prepared to open their markets to the country next door if the country next door makes cheaper products in every category through the use of slave labour and dodgy parts/ingredients.

As to political union - as far as I know, none of the Member States is interested in becoming part of a federal USE, which means that it won't happen. Political union is important in the sense of joint decision-making methods because the states are making decisions jointly. A purely intergovernmental system rapidly becomes like the League of Nations or the UN, blocked on nearly any meaningful action.

But none of these points are really part of the UK's debate thus far, which does seem to be revolving around immigration and 'free movement'. Unfortunately, that's one where importing from the EU is pretty clearly and provably beneficial, while importing from the former Commonwealth appears not to be so, so it seems likely that from that perspective it's an extended exercise in foot-shooting.

As the debate progresses, what's happening is that businesses which benefit from the EU, and know they do, but who are usually silent on the subject, are waking up to the fact that for the first time in a generation there's a real risk of the UK exiting the EU, and they're beginning to put their mouths where their money is.

Finally, on the subject of the EEA - the UK founded EFTA as an alternative to the EEC, but almost every country preferred EEC membership, including the UK. Possibly things have changed sufficiently so that that's no longer the case. At the time, the idea was that the UK would concentrate on the Commonwealth instead, which didn't work, but perhaps it will now, although those ties are rather more distant even if the countries concerned are more prosperous. But as Peregrinus has pointed out, EEA membership changes very little in terms of either free movement or trade regulations - the main changes would be agriculture and fisheries, which isn't going to be very noticeable to most people in the UK, I think.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

sin_city wrote: »
    The electorate's response would be fine for the government with the pressure coming from Brussels, as long as it was a YES.
    So why hasn’t Norway had a referendum on EU membership since 1994? Why would the EU apply so much pressure to Ireland (allegedly), but not to Norway?

In reality, are the advocates of UK withdrawal from the EU also advocating continued participation in the single market, through EEA membership? Does anybody know the UKIP position on this? Or the Tory Eurosceptic position?
    They don’t have a rational position. Their opposition to British membership of the EU is based almost entirely on nationalism and xenophobia – there is no reasonable economic argument.

I don’t think anyone knows, which is why they are proposing to have a referendum.
    Of course we know. An in/out referendum on EU membership would result in the UK electorate voting overwhelmingly in favour of EU withdrawal. Which is why the referendum will never happen – it would be a formality.
    It seems to me that there may be two Europes emerging, with some wanting deeper ever increasing political union, and others preferring to opt out of that but retain some sort of formal trading arrangement.
    Trade agreements necessitate some degree of political union – you can’t have one without the other.

• Advertisement

What is so wrong with having free trade deals without becoming a single political entity? Why do we need the bureaucrat Brussels?
    There’s nothing wrong with it, but it’s a hell of a lot more cumbersome. Why replace a single multilateral agreement with hundreds of bi-lateral agreements? How would that result in less bureaucracy?

djpbarry wrote: »
    Of course we know. An in/out referendum on EU membership would result in the UK electorate voting overwhelmingly in favour of EU withdrawal. Which is why the referendum will never happen – it would be a formality.

I think the world has moved on from when denying populations a democratic voice was thought to be both desirable, and possible. I applaud your conviction in your own predictions.
    Trade agreements necessitate some degree of political union – you can’t have one without the other.

It's the matter of degree which is very much the question. Switzerland, Montenegro, The Channel Islands, Macedonia, San Marino, Iceland & Norway seem to have more the degree of political union with the EU that might appeal to many in the UK, end elsewhere.

I think the world has moved on from when denying populations a democratic voice was thought to be both desirable, and possible. I applaud your conviction in your own predictions.
    You’re missing my point entirely. Everyone and their dog knows that the UK is increasingly anti-EU. Opinion poll after opinion poll shows support for EU withdrawal. Considering that referenda in the UK are not legally binding and considering that the result of any such referendum would be a foregone conclusion, what would be the point of having one? If Dave and his cabinet decide to hold a referendum, they are essentially sanctioning withdrawal. But they won’t hold a referendum, because they know that EU withdrawal would be disastrous for the UK. If the British electorate believe that they are being denied some democratic voice, they can elect UKIP at the next general election.
    It's the matter of degree which is very much the question. Switzerland, Montenegro, The Channel Islands, Macedonia, San Marino, Iceland & Norway seem to have more the degree of political union with the EU that might appeal to many in the UK, end elsewhere.
    Sure – they have to follow all the same rules without having any influence on the formulation of those rules. That’s not what the UK wants at all. They want to retain their current level of influence while picking and choosing which rules they have to abide by.

considering that the result of any such referendum would be a foregone conclusion, what would be the point of having one?

Democracy.
    Sure – they have to follow all the same rules without having any influence on the formulation of those rules. That’s not what the UK wants at all.

Again I am impressed in your staunch conviction you know what the UK electorate wants, at the same time as appearing to say that you don't think they should be allowed a referendum to express what they might want.

In fact, if you look at the polls right across Europe, its not just the UK which is expressing a desire for change, and the sort of double think you seem to be expressing here, for example claiming to know what others want and trying to deny them a chance to express their actual desires through the ballot box, seems to many in the UK, and across the democratic world, to be a perfect analogy of why they want to vote to regain control over their own democracy.

There is no right, or desire, which is more legitimate than that.

Democracy.
    Ah yes. That oft used and abused term.
    Again I am impressed in your staunch conviction you know what the UK electorate wants...
    Why is it so unreasonable? I’ve yet to see a recent poll of the UK electorate that shows a majority supports EU membership.
    ...at the same time as appearing to say that you don't think they should be allowed a referendum to express what they might want.
    I don’t see the point in wasting money asking a question to which we already know the answer, no.

Just because Ireland holds referenda on every sodding thing to do with the EU, doesn’t mean everyone else has to. The Irish flavour of democracy is not the example to which everyone else should aspire.
    In fact, if you look at the polls right across Europe, its not just the UK which is expressing a desire for change, and the sort of double think you seem to be expressing here, for example claiming to know what others want and trying to deny them a chance to express their actual desires through the ballot box, seems to many in the UK, and across the democratic world, to be a perfect analogy of why they want to vote to regain control over their own democracy.
    I think you’re deliberately missing my point at this stage, just so you can accuse me of being anti-democratic. The UK electorate have plenty of control of their own democracy and if EU withdrawal is really that big an issue for them (it really isn’t), then they can elect UKIP to do the necessary.

I don’t see the point in wasting money asking a question to which we already know the answer, no.

The point is democracy.

The ideological drive for an EU superstate peaked in the mid 2000’s, and since then it has been on the downhill trajectory.The UK is only one of many countries who no longer find the idea of an EU superstate attractive.

The Eurosceptics are winning the arguments in many European countries, and their star is in the ascendant as many ordinary Europeans add to the numbers of Eurosceptics, as evidenced in regular polls across Europe.

Out of control debt across many of what are known as the southern countries, and the incompetence of the EU authorities in introducing deflation, seems to ensure a chronic crises which will endure, and serves to reduce political consent from the people of Europe for an EU superstate.

Italy’s debt to GDP has increased from 119% to 132% of GDP in just three years, and it looks as if that increase is going to continue, which puts Italian debt on an unsustainable course. Greece’s debt is currently 170% of GDP and we will see the effects of that on the Euro in the coming years also.

The whole project holds less and less attraction for Europe’s nation states, both politically and at a grass roots level, and the will to build an EU superstate declines amongst the politicians and the people of Europe.

Rather than being out of step with Europe, the UK is more and more in step, and it’s hard from this vantage point to see the circumstances where agreement can ever be achieved to go further down the road of an EU superstate.

Boroso wrote:
    Rather than being out of step with Europe, the UK is more and more in step

Which it will prove by leaving because it can't get what it wants?

puzzled,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Which it will prove by leaving because it can't get what it wants?

puzzled,
    Scofflaw

I know you are puzzled and can't understand anyone who has any criticisms of the EU and does not wish to proceed down the road to closer and closer political union - your posts here show that.

However, the tide has gone out on that idea across Europe, both in political circles and, more importantly, in increasing Euroscepticism amongst the people right across Europe.

I know you are puzzled and can't understand anyone who has any criticisms of the EU and does not wish to proceed down the road to closer and closer political union - your posts here show that.

However, the tide has gone out on that idea across Europe, both in political circles and, more importantly, in increasing Euroscepticism amongst the people right across Europe.

Why not engage with what people say, instead of just parroting slogans and claiming everyone who contradicts you is a blind ideologue? You're not even correct - I'm actually a supporter of limited political union as appropriate to the competences granted to the EU joint action framework by the sovereign states, but I guess that's a bit nuanced, perhaps. You're in danger of seeing blues under every bed, I think.

Aside from anything else, we've been over the problem with assuming that the current dissatisfaction with the EU is some kind of meaningful trend that can be extrapolated to a glorious new dawn of nationhood. If that were the case, surely you should extrapolate the same increased dissatisfaction with national governments and parliaments towards a universal dissolution of the establishment.

Do you honestly not see anything contradictory about your claim that the UK is in step with Europe, and wants to leave it? And can you really not see why the UK government (and industry) might not want to leave?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

What I don't understand though is why people seem to think that the UK could leave and just continue to have 100% access to the EU single market from outside.

A lot of major companies are getting quite nervous about the prospect that it may no longer have the kind of direct and open access that it currently enjoys.

Unilever:
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jan/21/unilever-warning-uk-withdrawal-european-union

Nissan:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/10434906/Nissan-We-may-quit-Britain-if-it-leaves-EU.html
    Cars in general : http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/9bbcd386-7f89-11e3-b6a7-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2r9NUJkRg

Citi Bank Group:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/22/us-britain-eu-citigroup-idUSBREA0L00U20140122

Bankers in general:
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/919532a2-82ce-11e3-9d7e-00144feab7de.html#axzz2r9NUJkRg

There are a *LOT* of very nervous companies that are not too keen on this move at all.
    It's genuinely causing a lot of concern and may even halt or at least hamper investment by some companies until they know what the consequences are.

I think you're going to see a lot of business and big corporate voices becoming louder on this issue in the coming months.

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »
    What I don't understand though is why people seem to think that the UK could leave and just continue to have 100% access to the EU single market from outside.

A lot of major companies are getting quite nervous about the prospect that it may no longer have the kind of direct and open access that it currently enjoys.

Unilever:
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jan/21/unilever-warning-uk-withdrawal-european-union

Nissan:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/10434906/Nissan-We-may-quit-Britain-if-it-leaves-EU.html
    Cars in general : http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/9bbcd386-7f89-11e3-b6a7-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2r9NUJkRg

Citi Bank Group:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/22/us-britain-eu-citigroup-idUSBREA0L00U20140122

Bankers in general:
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/919532a2-82ce-11e3-9d7e-00144feab7de.html#axzz2r9NUJkRg

There are a *LOT* of very nervous companies that are not too keen on this move at all.
    It's genuinely causing a lot of concern and may even halt or at least hamper investment by some companies until they know what the consequences are.

I think you're going to see a lot of business and big corporate voices becoming louder on this issue in the coming months.

The UK's car industry and the Airbus consortium have come out against exit recently as well:

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/9bbcd386-7f89-11e3-b6a7-00144feabdc0.html

http://www.euractiv.com/uk-europe/airbus-citi-join-corporate-choru-news-532929

But presumably they're blind europhiles as well.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Why not engage with what people say, instead of just parroting slogans and claiming everyone who contradicts you is a blind ideologue?

It’s interesting you claim I said something I didn’t say. You said you were puzzled, and it seems to me you are genuinely puzzled by those who don’t want to proceed towards a federal superstate.
    You're not even correct - I'm actually a supporter of limited political union as appropriate to the competences granted to the EU joint action framework by the sovereign states, but I guess that's a bit nuanced, perhaps. You're in danger of seeing blues under every bed, I think.

Sometimes here on these threads any view which is not in support of the Euro, of the EU, or progress to a federal superstate, seems to attract lots of posts by others who simply can’t accept anyone has view which is different to theirs. I am pointing out that the idea of a federal EU superstate seems to be an idea whose time is past, as evidenced not only by the growing Euroscepticism amongst the people across Europe, but also amongst the political classes.

Others may disagree and think it’s all a flash in the pan, or not, and I don’t expect anyone to agree nor do I seek agreement.

Aside from anything else, we've been over the problem with assuming that the current dissatisfaction with the EU is some kind of meaningful trend that can be extrapolated to a glorious new dawn of nationhood. If that were the case, surely you should extrapolate the same increased dissatisfaction with national governments and parliaments towards a universal dissolution of the establishment.

Of course, you could be right and I could be wrong. Or vice versa. In fact, there is a renaissance in interest in national politics as the consensus politics of the last 20 years is challenged, and politics once again offers a choice. Previously the choice was between socialism and capitalism, now the choice is between closer integration of the EU, or not as evidenced in new parties polling well across Europe (UKIP being the UK example).
    Do you honestly not see anything contradictory about your claim that the UK is in step with Europe, and wants to leave it? And can you really not see why the UK government (and industry) might not want to leave?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

The polls right across Europe show that the growing Euroscepticism suggest that many Europeans are more and more agreeing with the UK. To me, Europe is its people.

The decision to leave the political EU is not a decision for grocers or motor manufacturers. In every country of the EU that’s a decision for the people, who will no doubt take into account what their industry representatives say as part of that process.

The UK is part of Europe and can’t ever leave it any more than France or Latvia can.

No government, or industry representatives, have the power or ability to trump the will of the electorate, and any government, or industry, which thinks otherwise should learn the lessons of history which, time and time again, show that is not the case.

I don’t expect you to agree to any, or all, of that.

The UK's car industry and the Airbus consortium have come out against exit recently as well:

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I am sure the UK electorate will take that into account when deciding how to vote in any ballot. Its one factor in many which they will probably use to weigh up their minds.

It’s interesting you claim I said something I didn’t say. You said you were puzzled, and it seems to me you are genuinely puzzled by those who don’t want to proceed towards a federal superstate.

I'm not even slightly puzzled, since I am one of the people who doesn't want a federal superstate. That you keep claiming I want one is evidence that you're not engaging with what I'm actually saying, and I admit I'm a little bored these days of being called on to defend a position I don't hold by people who aren't bothered to recognise my real position, or are perhaps incapable of addressing such a position.
    Sometimes here on these threads any view which is not in support of the Euro, of the EU, or progress to a federal superstate, seems to attract lots of posts by others who simply can’t accept anyone has view which is different to theirs. I am pointing out that the idea of a federal EU superstate seems to be an idea whose time is past, as evidenced not only by the growing Euroscepticism amongst the people across Europe, but also amongst the political classes.

Others may disagree and think it’s all a flash in the pan, or not, and I don’t expect anyone to agree nor do I seek agreement.

It's not an idea whose time has ever come, to be honest. There are people who have wanted it all along, but they've never been in a majority, it's never been the plan, and it's not what 'ever closer union' means.
    Of course, you could be right and I could be wrong. Or vice versa. In fact, there is a renaissance in interest in national politics as the consensus politics of the last 20 years is challenged, and politics once again offers a choice. Previously the choice was between socialism and capitalism, now the choice is between closer integration of the EU, or not as evidenced in new parties polling well across Europe (UKIP being the UK example).

Except that those parties in the main poll well only in EU Parliament elections, which suggests pro/anti EU is an axis that barely registers at the national political level, not something that has replaced a left-right divide.

I mean, OK, I feel fairly strongly about the EU, and you do too. But most people, let's face it, don't. Actually, you probably feel more strongly about it than I do, because while I presume you would celebrate if it were abolished tomorrow, I wouldn't cry or even be particularly downcast, although I would be very surprised.
    The polls right across Europe show that the growing Euroscepticism suggest that many Europeans are more and more agreeing with the UK. To me, Europe is its people.

Not really, because there aren't really polls showing a 'growing euroscepticism' but a loss of faith. They're not actually the same thing, although I can see why you would want to believe they are.
    The decision to leave the political EU is not a decision for grocers or motor manufacturers. In every country of the EU that’s a decision for the people, who will no doubt take into account what their industry representatives say as part of that process.

People are grocers and motor manufacturers, and vice versa. The 'nation of shopkeepers' above all, perhaps.
    The UK is part of Europe and can’t ever leave it any more than France or Latvia can.

Latvia's only just back, unless you mean, rather tritely, the geographical area. But who would bother saying that?
    No government, or industry representatives, have the power or ability to trump the will of the electorate, and any government, or industry, which thinks otherwise should learn the lessons of history which, time and time again, show that is not the case.

I don’t expect you to agree to any, or all, of that.

I don't, purely because it's sloganeering rather than analysis. "The people" are not something that exists separate from their own interests. There is no historical tide here, but a debate one side of which has only just started putting its case, while the other has been a staple of UK media for years.

You believe that you're expressing or channeling the will of the British people, and you believe that people outside Britain believe the same as you. So zealots always believe, but the real test is the ballot box. Unlike djpbarry and you, I don't believe a UK referendum is a foregone conclusion. I think it's all to play for, because I think reality disagrees with your slogans.
    I am sure the UK electorate will take that into account when deciding how to vote in any ballot. Its one factor in many which they will probably use to weigh up their minds.

Well, obviously. Although it doesn't appear to be something you're personally likely to use.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

So why hasn’t Norway had a referendum on EU membership since 1994? Why would the EU apply so much pressure to Ireland (allegedly), but not to Norway?

Because Norway is not in the EU.

If it ever joined it would have to take orders from Brussels...same way Greece and Ireland got pushed around with the bailouts....sorta like that.

Iceland non-EU....maybe this is why they stood up to the bankers?

Anyway, once you're in the present EU...not the common market we joined in 1973, I mean the present EU which is moving towards a superstate, this EU runs the show....Our republic is dying.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Wonder how FIAT managed to get going in Serbia without EU membership...Incredible.
    Which misses the point of a referendum by treating it as some kind of opinion poll. Referendums produce legally meaningful outcomes.

Which is why they are run until the EU which pressurizes the Irish government gets the result it wants. Meaningful would be one time. Anything else is opinion poll stuff as you said.
    Because we'd get so much better a deal as a tiny market of 4.25m people than as part of a market of 500m? Mm, no.

Really? Why don't we just sign one trade deal with China and we've already doubled our market size?

Think about the countries that are doing well today: Chile, New Zealand, Australia, Singapore and of course the BRICS.

They don't limit themselves to joining one group.

By what you are saying I take it that you would like a world union so that we could have access to the whole world?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Which is why they are run until the EU which pressurizes the Irish government gets the result it wants.
    If you're going to keep repeating that, you're going to have to come up with some evidence for it.
    Think about the countries that are doing well today: Chile, New Zealand, Australia, Singapore and of course the BRICS.
    I was in Chile (my fourth visit there) last week. It's doing OK by South American standards, but we're doing a lot better.

Wonder how FIAT managed to get going in Serbia without EU membership...Incredible.

Selling low cost cars into the Balkans, afaik. Despite the low labour costs, they didn't sell over the tariff wall into the EU. I don't think the UK car industry desperately wants to break into the Balkan market - well, or what remains of it, given 2 countries are in the EU and Serbia is starting accession talks.
    Which is why they are run until the EU which pressurizes the Irish government gets the result it wants. Meaningful would be one time. Anything else is opinion poll stuff as you said.

No, the outcome is legally meaningful, and would be if a third poll was run, unless it was treated as a 'best of three' exercise as suggested. Again, the electorate votes, and it cannot be forced to vote one way or the other - what's your reason for setting aside the legitimacy of the second result?
    Really? Why don't we just sign one trade deal with China and we've already doubled our market size?

They don't limit themselves to joining one group.

What exactly would lead China to give us such a deal? Access to our market?
    By what you are saying I take it that you would like a world union so that we could have access to the whole world?

We already have the WTO, and if we're to have such a body, I would certainly favour a bit of 'political union' to provide rather more direct control and rather less opacity on its negotiations. Would you be opposed to such control?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Selling low cost cars into the Balkans, afaik. Despite the low labour costs, they didn't sell over the tariff wall into the EU. I don't think the UK car industry desperately wants to break into the Balkan market - well, or what remains of it, given 2 countries are in the EU and Serbia is starting accession talks.

Lol, you totally missed the point. These cars which are being made in Serbia are being sold already in the UK. They are on sale to over 100 countries.

If Serbia were to get closer to anyone it should be Russia in my opinion as they have cultural, linguistic and historical ties. However I'm sure they are happy to have trade agreements with Iceland, Norway, Switzerland as is now, as well as good relations with Russia and also many many other countries.

No, the outcome is legally meaningful, and would be if a third poll was run, unless it was treated as a 'best of three' exercise as suggested. Again, the electorate votes, and it cannot be forced to vote one way or the other - what's your reason for setting aside the legitimacy of the second result?

My reason? The first result. What's your reason for setting aside the legitimacy of the first result?

What exactly would lead China to give us such a deal? Access to our market?

I suppose the same thing that lead them to a deal with the following:
    • New Zealand
    • Peru
    • Singapore
    • Chile
    • Costa Rica

Couldn't Ireland be added to that list? Probably not? We're stuck with the likes of Greece and Romania.

New Zealand

Signed a free trade agreement with China in 2008.

new-zealand-gdp.png?s=wgdpnewz

Peru

Signed a free trade agreement with China in 2009.

peru-gdp.png?s=wgdpperu

Singapore

Has been trading with China since 1990s

singapore-gdp-growth-annual.png?s=sgdpyoy&d1=20080101&d2=20141231

Yes that's nearly 20% GDP growth in one quarter

Chile

Signed free trade agreement with China in 2006. Also has free trade agreements with the US, Australia, Mexico and the EU!

I don't know if you agree with us trading with Chile or not.
    Guess what? It was decided by an Irishman on the EU side, but it sure as heck was decided by a person from Chile on their side.

Well done Chile..Not bad growth either

chile-gdp-growth-annual.png?s=clgdpna%25&d1=20010101&d2=20141231

Costa Rica

Trade agreement with China since 2002. As with others, does not limit itself to a bloc. Has trade agreements with Canada, the US, Mexico and Peru to name a few. I believe on the Costa Rican side only Costa Ricans were involved with their deals. I'd love this luxury for Ireland.

costa-rica-gdp-growth-annual.png?s=cosicagdpate
    We already have the WTO, and if we're to have such a body, I would certainly favour a bit of 'political union' to provide rather more direct control and rather less opacity on its negotiations. Would you be opposed to such control?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Ok, so you're in favour of world government. Enough said. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Lol, you totally missed the point. These cars which are being made in Serbia are being sold already in the UK. They are on sale to over 100 countries.

If Serbia were to get closer to anyone it should be Russia in my opinion as they have cultural, linguistic and historical ties. However I'm sure they are happy to have trade agreements with Iceland, Norway, Switzerland as is now, as well as good relations with Russia and also many many other countries.

Well, yes, they've had a free trade agreement with the EU since 2008.
    My reason? The first result. What's your reason for setting aside the legitimacy of the first result?

That the people changed their minds and delivered a second result. They could have said no again, and didn't. How is the will of the people in the second referendum somehow less legitimate?

I suppose the same thing that lead them to a deal with the following:
    • New Zealand
    • Peru
    • Singapore
    • Chile
    • Costa Rica

Couldn't Ireland be added to that list? Probably not? We're stuck with the likes of Greece and Romania.

Hardly: http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/html/150129.htm

Are you under the impression that free trade agreements simply involve both parties saying "OK no tariffs mutually, yay!"?
    Ok, so you're in favour of world government. Enough said. :rolleyes:

Yes, that's probably enough said.

amused,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement