Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Without the solicitors, the criminals are fúcked"- *alleged* Dublin criminal

Options
  • 09-12-2011 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

So there we have it. :D I had tears in my eyes after that, and you could hear the glee in Mary Wilson's voice.

On Drivetime, at 17.20 today Fergal Keane was outside the Criminal Courts of Justice interviewing *alleged* criminals about how they felt when criminal (ahem) solicitors and barristers staged a walk-out on them. Starts at 52.25. Fast forward past your man who "feels very bad and very sad" (hehe - what a rogue!) to 53.42:

"*Alleged* Dublin criminal: The solicitors should be getting more money.
    Keane: And who should pay them?
    *Alleged* Dublin criminal: Who's going to pay them? The government should pay; the government should pay the solicitors because the reason why they should pay the solicitors is they're doing a good job, they're keeping criminals out of trouble, without the solicitors the criminals are fúcked."

If ever there were an advertisement for the truly heroic service which solicitors and barristers give Irish society as they nobly defend their ridiculous fees from the Irish taxpayer justice this is it. It's a shocking state of affairs that the government would think of reducing the income of a legal profession which works so hard for the marginalised in Irish society.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭ThePower11

Poor old solicitors, God love them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Crime is lucrative, no overheads and with todays crazy judges not much risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I would like to be a solicitor and make buckets of money and I don't give a fcuk.

Haters gonna hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

billybudd wrote: »
    Crime is lucrative, no overheads

What about the upwards only rent policy on underground lairs?

Surely that's unsustainable in today's economy - especially for the small to medium sized criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I hate solicitors.
    Scum. Just utter scum.

Think about it, even if a decent bloke studied to become one. The nature of the job will turn him. Lying and twisting events. Repersenting blatantly guilty people. And I hate all that "ah people are innocent until proven guilty" bollocks out of them. Its just an excuse to justify the nature of repersenting a scumbag.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

''if they've a legitimate right to walk out and strike...they've a legitimate right..do you know what i mean?''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

LighterGuy wrote: »
    I hate solicitors.
    Scum. Just utter scum.

Think about it, even if a decent bloke studied to become one. The nature of the job will turn him. Lying and twisting events. Repersenting blatantly guilty people. And I hate all that "ah people are innocent until proven guilty" bollocks out of them. Its just an excuse to justify the nature of repersenting a scumbag.

So much wrong with that post

So if you get charged with a crime will you represent yourself?

Hope that goes well for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

What about the upwards only rent policy on underground lairs?

Surely that's unsustainable in today's economy - especially for the small to medium sized criminal.

Ghost estate= free hideout for a criminal + several minions.

Interesting fact 1 - it's possible in Ireland to become a solicitor without having a degree in law.

Interesting fact 2 - it's possible in Ireland to become a solicitor without having a degree in any subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

And I hate all that "ah people are innocent until proven guilty" bollocks out of them. Its just an excuse to justify the nature of repersenting a scumbag.

And what if they are innocent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurum

Interesting fact 1 - it's possible in Ireland to become a solicitor without having a degree in law.

Interesting fact 2 - it's possible in Ireland to become a solicitor without having a degree in any subject.

It's the same in England too. A lot of firms recruit about 50% law grads 50% non-law.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

And I hate all that "ah people are innocent until proven guilty" bollocks out of them.
    That is probably the most important part of our legal system, it's not just made up by lawyers.

How is it bollocks, exactly?

anything is possible in Ireland, when the majority will pay for it, no real questions asked and no answers given.

FF second in the polls, see anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

How would you do this? I have always wanted my face on a billboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Robbed a granny and slashed a Garda with a stanley?

Why, you need....free legal aid!!!

What a load of bollocks.

Drive really quickly down the M50 on a motorbike without a helmet on. Good chance of getting your face on one then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

BornToKill wrote: »
    And what if they are innocent?

I was talking about from a solicitors point of view. Them agreeing to repersent a clearly guilty man. Take johnny cochran. Great example. Took on the Oj Simpson case. Cochran knew he was guilty. The world knew he was guilty. But he got him off.
    I'm talking about ethics and morals here. Can a person repersent a clearly guilty man (talking oj case level of clearly guilty here) and look in the mirror and say "i am a good person" .. or is it all about the money. Not caring if they did it or not. As long as you get them off any get the paycheck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

FE-1 (8 of them) and FE2 exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

anything is possible in Ireland, when the majority will pay for it, no real questions asked and no answers given.

What? You know there's the small matter of professional exams? Who honestly gives a damn what degree they have.

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Robbed a granny and slashed a Garda with a stanley?

Why, you need....free legal aid!!!

What a load of bollocks.
    Please give us your suggestions for a better system.

• Advertisement

What? You know there's the small matter of professional exams? Who honestly gives a damn what degree they have.

in the context of your query, why qoute me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

in the context of your query, why qoute me?

It seemed from your post that you had an issue with the fact that it doesn't take a degree in law to become a solicitor (or a barrister for that matter).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Temptamperu &Temptamperu & Sons
    <massive picture of your mug here>

"Have you made a cockup in the past 10 years you could possibly blame on someone else? Call now..."

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

This presumed innocent thing is costing the state a fortune.

I mean who needs the presumption of innocence?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Please give us your suggestions for a better system.

How about if someone is a repeat offender with a certain number of convictions, they lose their right to free legal aid?

Someone with 50 convictions doesn't deserve to have legal aid paid for by the taxpayer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

I was talking about from a solicitors point of view. Them agreeing to repersent a clearly guilty man. Take johnny cochran. Great example. Took on the Oj Simpson case. Cochran knew he was guilty. The world knew he was guilty. But he got him off.
    I'm talking about ethics and morals here. Can a person repersent a clearly guilty man (talking oj case level of clearly guilty here) and look in the mirror and say "i am a good person" .. or is it all about the money. Not caring if they did it or not. As long as you get them off any get the paycheck.

there is no such thing as a good person. criminals are just victims of circumstance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I hate solicitors.
    Scum. Just utter scum.

You do realise that no matter how guilty one is if there is no soliciter willing to represent them they can apply to have the case postponed/thrown out on the grounds that they cannot get a fair trial ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

paky wrote: »

there is no such thing as a good person. criminals are just victims of circumstance.

Praying that this post is a wind-up!

How about if someone is a repeat offender with a certain number of convictions, they lose their right to free legal aid?

Someone with 50 convictions doesn't deserve to have legal aid paid for by the taxpayer.

Everyone deserves legal representation.

Just because they are guilty of 50 crimes doesn't automatically make them guilty of 51.

True, the legal system costs us money, but it's an important thing to spend money on. Not everything can be judged by how much it costs financially.

• Advertisement

But in our system everybody is entitled to a fair trial. It doesn't matter how many convictions they have.

It is not entirely impossible that someone could have loads of minor convictions from when they are young, reform and go straight, become an upstanding member of the community and then be arrested for a crime that they are innocent of when they are older.

Do you deny that person legal aid because of their past?

Advertisement