Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone got a new Audi/VW? How do you turn off Cruise Control?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    This thread is great craic! :D

I disagree...my head hurts after reading it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

No, it's an automatic.

DSG is an electonically controlled dual clutch manual gearbox, with an automatic mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

DSG is an electonically controlled dual clutch manual gearbox, with an automatic mode.
    It can automaticaly select and change gears, that makes it an automatic in my book, regardless of how it functions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

Think of it logically

When you want to move off in a manual you let out the clutch and give it a bit of gas

As such in an auto selecting D as opposed to P or N (they are different) will put the car into first or second gear and will release the 'clutch' (though auto's don't have them you still need to apply the engine to the powertrain) so why wouldn't the thing be creeping in gear!

As for an SMG or similar giving it gas will tell the computer to drop the clutch and select the gear you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

It can automaticaly select and change gears, that makes it an automatic in my book, regardless of how it functions.

That doesn't make it an automatic in actuality though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

That doesn't make it an automatic in actuality though.
    A computer system operates the clutch mechanisms. Whats exactly is manual about this?
    A computer also chooses what gear to be in.

If you want you can choose what gear you want to be in. But that's no different to ever other automatic out there that has a manual gear selection mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Is there really anyone participating in this thread that believes I could pass an Irish driving test without knowing how to use a brake pedal?
    I think the more you keep posting the less people will actually believe you passed a test at all, because you're lacking the ability to listen, and learn what you're being told. One thing is certain, you didn't pass your test in an automatic anyway.

If the car is in D, it will move. If you want to stop it moving, do like normal and use the brake pedal

Advertisement