Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Torch

Options
  • 08-12-2011 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

It has just been officially announced today in Switzerland that the Olympic torch will be coming to Dublin on the 6th of June 2012.

Copy of statement HERE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

cool thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

"Gis a loight der bud"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Murta

Hopefully Katie Taylor will get to carry it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Murta wrote: »
    Hopefully Katie Taylor will get to carry it.

Hopefully every living Irish medallist (except you know who) gets to carry it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

04072511 wrote: »
    Hopefully every living Irish medallist (except you know who) gets to carry it.

You mean the drug taking horse? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Best thing about this is no politicians are allowed to be within 1km of the torch....I'll be interested to see who tries to weedle their way into the photo op though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Best thing about this is no politicians are allowed to be within 1km of the torch....I'll be interested to see who tries to weedle their way into the photo op though

No, according to the Irish Times politicians can greet the torch when it arrives, just can't carry it.

I'm not as keen on this as the rest of you. Ireland was not part of the UK, last time I looked, so why should the torch come here? I appreciate that this is the only chance Irish athletes will have to carry the torch, but what is the logic of the trip? Will the torch travel through Paraguay on the way to Rio?

(If it was part of a relay around all surrounding countries, or a relay from one host nation to the next, that would be different)

eta: maybe it's the mod in me coming out - I overvalue consistency :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

RayCun wrote: »
    No, according to the Irish Times politicians can greet the torch when it arrives, just can't carry it.

I'm not as keen on this as the rest of you. Ireland was not part of the UK, last time I looked, so why should the torch come here? I appreciate that this is the only chance Irish athletes will have to carry the torch, but what is the logic of the trip? Will the torch travel through Paraguay on the way to Rio?

(If it was part of a relay around all surrounding countries, or a relay from one host nation to the next, that would be different)

For the Beijing olympics the torch went all around the world in the months beforehand (remember the protests about China's human rights). Slightly strange its only the UK this time. Its raising the profile of the olympics in Ireland, no harm imo.

When the queen was over didnt Enda Kenny have a word with David Cameron about this happening?

Prior to the hassle that they had with the Beijing torch doing the rounds of various other countries it would have been absolutely expected that the Olympics happening in Europe and the torch did a mini tour of the EU first. If there wasn't a ban then it would have made a trip around a few places, possibly not France as they would have been pissed off with Cameron and also probably still annoyed that they didn't get the games themselves. But it would have been totally expected for it to do a tour of Ireland and people would probably have complained it wasn't going everywhere in Ireland.

Now your annoyed that it's even doing a quick half day trip to Dublin. No pleasing some people. :D

• Advertisement

All around the world = fine
    All around Europe = fine
    Quick visit to Ireland = Ah sure we'll just drop over to the backyard, give the poor lads a go with the thing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Fully agree. It’s a big embarrassing. Our neighbours put on the greatest show in the world and we get a few hours to ride their coat tails through the Olympic torch.

Comes across as desperate, we’ve feck all facilities in Ireland but shure let’s pretend we’re part of the Olympics.

China used the torch to further their own political ends so I don’t think comparisons with them are valid. Plus it’s not going around Europe, its making a pit stop in Ireland. It's the equivalent of a pat on the head. It really is ridiculous. No doubt the money spent would probably get a new track at UCD built.

All around Europe = fine
    Quick visit to Ireland = Ah sure we'll just drop over to the backyard, give the poor lads a go with the thing :D

Didn't the UK pay Ireland a few billion eurodollarpounds a couple of months back, least they could do is look after a lighter for a couple of hours.

The UK does want the money and the lighter back asap if at all possible.

robinph wrote: »
    Didn't the UK pay Ireland a few billion eurodollarpounds a couple of months back, least they could do is look after a lighter for a couple of hours.

No no no - the UK loaned Ireland loadsamoney. Interest is payable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

No no no - the UK loaned Ireland loadsamoney. Interest is payable.
    Double the interest they borrowed it for in the first place. Believe me, it was in the UK's interest the Irish economy did'nt go down the tubes (well, further down.)
    I'm in the cynic's camp on this, its more to do with photo ops for the likes of hickey and the gobsh1ts in the dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Hickey spending his time getting this torch to Ireland is about as embarrassing as John Delaney looking for a replay after the Terry Henry hand ball. Why do people in important :rolleyes: positions keep embarrassing this nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

And I thought Billy Mitchell was carrying it.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Murta

Hickey spending his time getting this torch to Ireland is about as embarrassing as John Delaney looking for a replay after the Terry Henry hand ball. Why do people in important :rolleyes: positions keep embarrassing this nation.

Who's Terry Henry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

No problem torch coming. Hope it ties into Olympic sports though and not Croke Park as I saw suggested a while back.

There are many connections between Britain and Ireland. We welcome British passport holders (from Northern Ireland) on our team in athletics at European, World and Olympic championships.

Also, if no politicians are able to get near the torch, that will rule out Pat Hickey.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

All around Europe = fine

Good grief... :P

Anyway...isnt this the new Ireland.... shure anything for a photo op to bring in the tourist pounddollareuros (ala Lizzie and O'Bama)... just think of the increase in tourism and the prosperity it will bring to one and all :rolleyes:

Seriously though...if it brings one cent more into providing support for Athletics in Ireland it will be a good thing...and Enda will have pulled off a master stroke at getting it to drop by... (cough)

• Advertisement

AEDIC wrote: »
    Seriously though...if it brings one cent more into providing support for Athletics in Ireland it will be a good thing...

What if some of the money that was earmarked for athletics in Ireland is spent on photo-ops with the torch instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

What if some of the money that was earmarked for athletics in Ireland is spent on photo-ops with the torch instead?

Then they are eejits and the torch should be used to burn them at the stake ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭CorkRunning

For anyone that is interested, a map of the route of the Olympic Torch in Dublin on Wednesday, the 6th of June can be seen here...

http://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2012/03/route-of-olympic-torch-in-dublin-on-6th.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Giraldilla

The Olympic Council of Ireland has now published full details of when and where you can see each torch bearer on the route tomorrow:
    http://www.olympicsport.ie/news/5092-president-of-ireland-to-welcome-the-olympic-flame-to-howth.html

John Treacy, Sonia O'Sullivan and Ronnie Delaney feature towards the end of the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 L1ghtbulb

Does anybody know if the flame can be seen while in transit between Newry and Dublin?

Just saw on the official website that it arrived in Newry at 6.25 this evening, I thought it was tomorrow morning. Oh well, wont get to see it this time!

L1ghtbulb wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the flame can be seen while in transit between Newry and Dublin?

Just saw on the official website that it arrived in Newry at 6.25 this evening, I thought it was tomorrow morning. Oh well, wont get to see it this time!
    There will be a couple of convoys of the various support and sponsor vehicles speeding between locations with Garda bikes stopping the traffic I'd assume. They will probably already be on the way to Dublin though and you're more likely to see them driving back in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mairzydoats

I assume Jedward will be involved somehow. They always seem to be...

They are carrying it somewhere round O'Connel street I think. Currently on the roof of Croke park.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchrelay/day19

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

I'd love to know what the little kid on the right saw on Michael Carruth's back when this photo was taken

http://www.irishtimes.com/

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 kittymiss

live on rte there, fair cringe-worthy viewing, wondering what rhe insurers are thinking seeing no one seems to have their safty belts up on the gaa skywalk....

Advertisement