Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grid Integration of Large-Scale Renewables

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Chloe Pink wrote: »
    Just to be clear, the limits were given with reference to "replacing" installed capacity; "adding" capacity to an already fully functioning system is another matter.

0_o ...what's the point in talking about that exactly?

Wind isn't conventional generation so of course it's awful at taking over its role (you just need to look at the capacity credit for wind to figure that out).

It's like saying a defrost setting on a microwave does a bad job cooking a steak or that there's little to no mutton on a sheepdog - it's missing out on what the purpose is. ;)

If you're talking about replacing conventional capacity with wind, you either need to take a very low percentage of the wind, or you need to replace it with wind and something else. That's basic.
    pljudge321 wrote: »
    Britain rely on gas for around 45% of their electricity generation, they have loads of CCGT plants.

Thought it was closer to ~40% flexible plant compared to ~50% for us? I could well be wrong though - I don't do much looking at the British power system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

L wrote: »
    Thought it was closer to ~40% flexible plant compared to ~50% for us? I could well be wrong though - I don't do much looking at the British power system.

The figure I got might be the % generation share rather than the % installed capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Which timescale please?
    What do you mean "which timescale"? The accuracy of wind forecasting (or lack thereof) has been referred to by other posters already - the further ahead you want to forecast, the greater the inaccuracy. But, forecasts of the order of hours are pretty accurate.
    Macha was
    No, she wasn't. If anyone is comparing wind generation with conventional base-load generation, it's you.
    Hardly, if you look at the report; can you provide any evidence to contradict Poyry's findings.
    What findings? What you quoted above is not a "finding", it's someone's opinion.

Advertisement