Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSL rollout. Delayed and no longer a priority.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

regress wrote: »
    Not good enough. And I don't believe that Eircom does not know why it broke it's own promises. Surely the refusal to give any sort of explanation undermines the legitimacy of this forum. And while well aware that DSL is limited, for many it would be better than nothing or GPRS dongle speeds.

Yeah the speeds of GPRS is patethic anything would be better than it even an EDGE connection would be better i switched my internet to GPRS today and had to switch back to 3G it's unbearable.

The silence here by Eircom really shows the lack of information they are willing to give the public on their intentions for enabling the rest of the exchanges in this country that have been left in the dark by Eircom when it comes to ADSL.

I've got NGB with Eircom 8Mb but only get 7Mb on downloads can't complain tough lucky to even have ADSL at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

Thank you for your post.

In answer to your query, eircom have and are currently involved in a nationwide roll out of advanced NGN

Best wishes,
    Ant

. I've asked Technical Support for more information on your query. I'm looking into this and will advise further during the week.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Hope you realise that you will be called on any further attempts to avoid the question or throw thread off topic.

Broken Promise No 1

In 2007 Eircom announced a programme to reprogram certain named exchanges and carry out works to ensure that the exchanges on this list could deliver 1MB DSL broadband. Eircom committed to completing this work by the end of 2009.

Eircom even set up a site ( www. broadbandatoz.ie) to announce when these exchanges were enabled.

According to Spongebob Eircom promised to enable the following Exchanges

Ballyforan
    Carrigallen
    Cloonee
    Kilrickle
    St. Johnston
    Annyalla

Ballydesmond
    Knocknagree
    Knockraha
    Ballydesmond
    Ballyporeen

Bruree

Oldtown
    Coon

Calverstown

Broken Promise No 2

http://www.irishpressreleases.ie/printer-page.php?p=1440

Quote:
    16 Jan 2007 eircom today announced that with immediate effect the Company is taking all
    broadband orders placed within the five main urban areas of Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Waterford and Galway. Customers whose telephone lines have previously failed to
    qualify for broadband are encouraged to contact eircom to have their lines re-tested.

Five years after this promise was made Eircom has abandoned plans to rollout 1MB broadband throughout the five named cities and is refusing the honour the "take all orders" promise. 

Of course their are an additional 200+ Exchanges in addition to the above with nothing but let's address those two groups first. 

And bump 

And bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi regress,

My apologies for the delay, however I have the following information regarding your query..

Regarding Standard DSL availability in cities nation-wide, Yes DSL is available in all the major urban centres in The Republic of Ireland, Dublin , Drogheda, Dundalk, Cork, Limerick Galway, Sligo Waterford , Wexford and Kilkenny. Ballycotton exchange was broadband enabled 1st June 2011 but currently there are no plans to upgrade this exchange to NGB.

There are now over 900 exchanges enabled for broadband, which covers 96% of total working lines in the network. The next phase of the broadband rollout involves upgrading exchanges to support Next generation broadband to offer customer an enhanced broadband service. To date over 270 exchanges have been upgraded to NGB with more to follow.

If you need assistance with broadband connection or further technical advice, please contact Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Advertisement

Hi regress,

My apologies for the delay, however I have the following information regarding your query..

Unfortunately your response makes no attempt to address the query, contains deliberate falsehoods and once again attempts to divert the thread into NGB.
    Regarding Standard DSL availability in cities nation-wide, Yes DSL is available in all the major urban centres in The Republic of Ireland, Dublin , Drogheda, Dundalk, Cork, Limerick Galway, Sligo Waterford , Wexford and Kilkenny.

Astounded that you would make such a claim. I can't even give you the benefit of the doubt as you have already admitted on another thread that this is not the case. I would ask you to withdraw this lie.
    Ballycotton exchange was broadband enabled 1st June 2011 but currently there are no plans to upgrade this exchange to NGB.

And what on earth does that have to do with the price of a pint. Delighted that the residents on Ballycotten have broadband but nobody asked about that town. The query was in relation to areas that have no fixed line broadband from Eircom, specifically the Exchanges listed above that were promsed it by 2009 and the non enabled Exchanges in the major urban areas.

There are now over 900 exchanges enabled for broadband

I am aware of that. The query related to the 270 Exchanges that are NOT enabled for broadband

. The next phase of the broadband rollout involves upgrading exchanges to support Next generation broadband to offer customer an enhanced broadband service. To date over 270 exchanges have been upgraded to NGB with more to follow.

Once again this thread relates to the Exchanges that have not been enabled for broadband and not the NGB upgrading of already enabled Exchanges

MRBEAVER wrote: »
    please don't confuse the issue by bringing in the NGB upgrading of already enabled Exchanges.

In answer to your query, eircom have and are currently involved in a nationwide roll out of advanced NGN (next generation networks) nationwide
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Ant, the queries largely involve 2 issues.

1. Completion of the last generation broadband rollout ( announced April 2007) not the next generation broadband program.

2. The status of the 2007 "Take All Orders" program in 2012. Is it abandoned in Dublin Cork Limerick Galway and Waterford which is where eircom gave that committment to all of their customers.

. This thread relates to DSL enabling Exchanges. It has nothing whatsover to do with NGB which is comprehensively discussed in multiple other threads . None of the previous posts asked about NGB so using it as a response in very unprofessional and partronising.

Please stop talking about NGB or do so on another thread. It has no relation to the subject matter of this thread.
    but that is not what he was asked :)

270 have nothing. Many of those 270 were promised _something_, ie not fibre and not VDSL...just bog standard ADSL.

I suppose expecting a response from Eircom is a bit hopeless at this stage as the reps only want to talk about NGB .

Hope you realise that you will be called on any further attempts to avoid the question or throw thread off topic.
    The next phase of the broadband rollout involves upgrading exchanges to support Next generation broadband to offer customer an enhanced broadband service. To date over 270 exchanges have been upgraded to NGB with more to follow.

Maybe I should give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

I think it's safe to say ADSL (old ATM style) has stopped being rolled out in favour of NGN rollout ...

Alcatel iSam's are the nodes that allow DSL be ran from NGN ... it'd be a bit pointless putting in the infrastructure for ATM then have it lagging behind NGN areas ...

although there are places that are doing just that, but if it's not already enabled I'd say they are holding out till exchanges or parent exchanged are NGN enabled...

hence the references to NGN all the time

arctan wrote: »
    I think it's safe to say ADSL (old ATM style) has stopped being rolled out in favour of NGN rollout ...

if it's not already enabled I'd say they are holding out till exchanges or parent exchanged are NGN enabled...

hence the references to NGN all the time

That may be the case but query relates to the areas which have no fixed line broadband which were promised ADSL many years ago. If Eircom want to enable these Exchanges with.a newer technology that's wonderful.

However Eircom discussing NGB upgrading of already enabled Exchanges which is what Ant has been doing is a different matter. This is merely a ploy to avoid giving any response in relation to the Exchanges that were never enabled and the promises that were broken.

ahh ok ..

as I was saying in previous posts, these exchanges could be RSU's from bigger exchanges, if they are and the parent exchange is NGN enabled, then it's a matter of getting a fibre pair (fibre should already be in place between them, except for some exchanges with wireless links or ones that still use old ATM copper) and setting up an iSam node in the exchange, or if its in a cabinet, putting it in a new cab, not sure if Eircom do this yet though

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Leitrim exchange ( in county Leitrim) was eventually upgraded just before Christmas and NGN was what was installed (a good 2 years late and almost 5 years after eircom announced the upgrade) as Arctan pointed out.

However it is almost as difficult to get accurate information on NGN rollouts around here as it is to find out what eircom are doing about their announced programs.

What is the status of the "Take All Orders" program now, when did eircom abandon that program in Dublin and Cork Cities???

So we can take it then that it is unlikely that any Exchange that will be enabled in the future will get ADSL as it is now an obsolete technology. That if any more Exchanges are enabled that NGN will most likely be installed.

That still doesn't change the basic query or Eircoms refusal to respond.

Once again the query is NOT about the upgrading of Exchanges that are already ADSL enabled.

I'd be inclined to think the opposite, especially if this EU directive that people should be entitled to broadband goes ahead, giving Comreg power to enforce not only a POTS obligation, but also a broadband obligation ...

those iSAM nodes are cheaper to get in (infrastucturally) compared to the old ASAM nodes, and they can be put in cabinates too ... but again, they're nodes on the NGN network, NGN infrastructure therefore has to be in place etc...

FTTx will be rolled out in urban areas first and foremost, as Eircom's main customer base is there and their biggest customer migration is there too ...

those iSAM nodes are cheaper to get in (infrastucturally) compared to the old ASAM nodes, and they can be put in cabinates too ... but again, they're nodes on the NGN network, NGN infrastructure therefore has to be in place etc...

eircom has a pretty extensive fibre network ...is the good news.

http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/eircom-fibre-network

An iSam can do voice and data and fax together splitterless in the cabinet as there is single port for the lot. Older DSL cabinets were placed beside a voice cabinet and the voice and data combined on a krone frame in another cabinet again before going down the line to the customer.

Instead of having 3 cabinets at a location only 2 are needed in future. iSam + Copper.

Here is an old style cabinetisation on Google Maps. Voice on right, DSL to its left, lekky in the small boxes and copper at very left ( copper is normally in Dark Green boxes)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭scouse1990

Apologies for a silly question but there is all this talk of the Naul exchange being NG enabled and, yet, when I looked into getting broadband I was told that the only service available was the eMobile dongle. Is that considered broadband?

Sorry Scouse but I want to restrict this thread to discussion of areas that have no fixed line broadband. . As far as I know the Naul Exchange is ADSL enabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

scouse1990 wrote: »
    Apologies for a silly question but there is all this talk of the Naul exchange being NG enabled and, yet, when I looked into getting broadband I was told that the only service available was the eMobile dongle. Is that considered broadband?

Hi scouse1990
    can you PM me your tel no and I can check availability of this for you.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Well its no surprise you dont get an honest answer from an eircom rep, the company has lied so much in its history they cant even take care of those customers they do have (ie. customer details being stolen on non encrypted laptops).

My experience with eircom is they promise you anything to sign you up and fall far short of what they actually deliver. Hell they not even irish owned anymore, they are owned by Singapore Telecom.

I had 1 of their reps try sell me a 24mb package over the phone knowing full well the line to house was not capable of taking 24mb, it was only capable of 11.6mb max and with a crap attenuation.

And bump

Broken Promise No 1

In 2007 Eircom announced a programme to reprogram certain named exchanges and carry out works to ensure that the exchanges on this list could deliver 1MB DSL broadband. 
    Eircom committed to completing this work by the end of 2009.

Eircom even set up a site (formerly at www. broadbandatoz.ie) to announce when these exchanges were enabled.

Ballyforan
    Carrigallen
    Cloonee
    Kilrickle
    St. Johnston
    Annyalla

Ballydesmond
    Knocknagree
    Knockraha
    Ballydesmond

Ballyporeen

Bruree

Oldtown
    Coon

Calverstown

Broken Promise No 2

Quote:
    16 Jan 2007 eircom today announced that with immediate effect the Company is taking all
    broadband orders placed within the five main urban areas of Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Waterford and Galway. Customers whose telephone lines have previously failed to qualify for broadband are encouraged to contact eircom to have their lines re-tested.

Five years after this promise was made Eircom has abandoned plans to rollout 1MB broadband throughout the five named cities and is refusing the honour the "take all orders" promise. 

Of course their are an additional 200+ Exchanges in addition to the above with nothing but let's address those two groups first. 

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

How stupid are the eircom representatives on here? Why can't they just give info on the non enabled exchanges that people are asking about. If there are no plans to upgrade them, just say so...

• Advertisement

Oddly exchanges with no published plans do get upgraded, eg Drumkeen in Donegal quite recently went straight from Dialup to 'NGN' because there is fibre outside the door.

Neverthless Kilrickle with an NGN Core cable outside the door...and promised in the April 2007 program, has not been upgraded.

Sadly eircom is not even complaint with the EU definition of NGN which is minimum 40mbits. A flurry of complaints to the ASAI for false advertising will be in order quite shortly I feel. :D

It would be highly advisable for eircom not to announce any more 'upgrade' programs until they finish their 2007 legacy program. Pulling €26 a month line rental out of people for a dialup service off an exchange on the never never is frankly despicable behaviour ...although I hear Phil Hogans promotion to full Minister has led to fingers recently getting pulled out over the upgrade of the Oldtown exchange in Kilkenny. :(

IMC042 wrote: »
    How stupid are the eircom representatives on here? Why can't they just give info on the non enabled exchanges that people are asking about. If there are no plans to upgrade them, just say so...

Indeed. This is supposed to be a forum where Eircom answers queries and the reps have been refusing for months now to respond to a fairly simple query.

Sadly eircom is not even complaint with the EU definition of NGN which is minimum 40mbits. A flurry of complaints to the ASAI for false advertising will be in order quite shortly I feel. :D

?

you sure you're not mixing that up with NGA ?

NGN links are 1 gig minimum

you sure you're not mixing that up with NGA ?

NGN links are 1 gig minimum

NGN would be all fibre Aggregation and Core and yes you are right, I am talking about the Access Network so NGA it is. Up to 24mbit DSL is not EU standard NGA. It is ..in a nutshell...old hat. :)

Smidge of NGN backhauling those Cabinets of course but that won't save me. What do eircom use for backhauling cabs anyway, coarse @ 10g ??

mixture of course and dense depending on capacity needed .... seen very few CWDM tbh

A play on words I'd say it is, does the regs specifically say NGA or NGB ?
    DSL isn't NGA, but could be easily marketed as NGB so it's not really going against EU regs FTTC & FTTH will be NGA

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭hazchem

Just as an aside whoever is using the colouring pencil on the NGB map is using the wrong end as he has just erased Swinford SWD exchange in Mayo from the map even though it is NGB enabled and migrated!

A play on words I'd say it is, does the regs specifically say NGA or NGB ?
    DSL isn't NGA, but could be easily marketed as NGB so it's not really going against EU regs FTTC & FTTH will be NGA
    You have a future in eircom management if you can split hairs like that :D

Pat Rabbitte calls your NGA NGB. :)

To summarise.

Pats Rabbites NGB is actually NGA and eircoms current NGB is not what Pat means when he talks about NGB ...it being a 7 year old standard and all. This is OK because Pat does not know what he is talking about anyway.

Pat got a steer from Comreg. Comreg issued a paper named Next Generation Broadband in Ireland which went as far as issuing a definition in 2009 which said "25Mbits presents a useful differentiator to classify minimum NGB services."

Eircom naturally agreed with Comreg in 2009 and promptly started to roll out up to 24mbits as a maximum "eircom NGB" services.

However eircoms NGB cannot be deployed without an eircom NGN to back it up in the first instance. Thankfully NGA will also make use of an NGN too. However no eircom customer can have an NGN because they must select from a menu of Dialup, Bog Standard 2001 era ADSL, Bog Standard 2005 era NGB or NGA only. :D

lol ... nah i'll pass on the management, was always a problem that had to be dealt with(especially sales telling customers "you'll get 24 megs not a problem" etc... )

try working at the coalface of it, you'd nearly hunt the likes of Pat Rabbite down, punch him in the face, then educate him on what is actually deployed and how it works, and punch him in the face again for being an mis-educated idiot

Not strictly Pats fault, you really should see what crawls out from the shadows to advise him in that Dept some time. :(

• Advertisement

And bump. Is it an wonder that criticism of the firesale of state assets has often involved the example of Eircom. Something as important as the provision of fixed line broadband should not have been given to a private company which has broken its promises and all but abandoned broadband rollout.
    Thanks Ant

Broken Promise No 1

In 2007 Eircom announced a programme to reprogram certain named exchanges and carry
    out works to ensure that the exchanges on this list could deliver 1MB DSL broadband. 
    Eircom committed to completing this work by the end of 2009.

Eircom even set up a site (formerly at www. broadbandatoz.ie) to announce when these exchanges were enabled.

Ballyforan
    Carrigallen
    Cloonee
    Kilrickle
    St. Johnston
    Annyalla

Ballydesmond
    Knocknagree
    Knockraha
    Ballydesmond

Ballyporeen

Bruree

Oldtown
    Coon

Calverstown

Broken Promise No 2

Quote:
    broadband orders placed within the five main urban areas of Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Waterford and Galway. Customers whose telephone lines have previously failed to qualify for broadband are encouraged to contact eircom to have their lines re-tested.

Advertisement