Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Ten Tips for Orlando, Florida

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Three weeks to go and still reading. Man, there is some info online. I see someone says its 15 dollars a day for parking in disney and on ebay there are people renting out passes for 15 pounds a week. One guy I emailed offers a diamond pass which lets you park close to the gates.

I can only imagine the scale of the car parks there if, ordinary parkers, need to get a tram to the gates. Would it be worth renting one of these passes? Are the car parks THAT big?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I can only imagine the scale of the car parks there if, ordinary parkers, need to get a tram to the gates. Would it be worth renting one of these passes? Are the car parks THAT big?

car parks are big but in the case of magic kingdom the car park is a few miles from the actual entrance of the theme park and you have to get the monorail from the car park to the entrance, all the other parks have the car parks next to the entrances

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Sometimes you can do too much reading ;) but having said that having a plan is worthwhile IMO

As regards parking, park with the normal people, you will be fine, both Disney & Universal are very organised when it comes to parking, actually seeing them guide the cars into the Disney parks is impressive, you will smile on your first morning parking

For Universal / IOA we used to pay the extra €5 for preferred parking, just a personal choice

Once you pay for parking at one Disney park it's valid for all Disney parks that day, same for Universal / Seaworld parks

JUST REMEMBER WHAT PARKING LOT YOU ARE IN FOR WHEN YOU RETURN :)they are normally named after characters
    and you can attach something to your car to make it stick out, we used a small Munster Rugby car flag

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Car parks are very large, but they're totally walkable, unless you have very small children (who would need a buggy for the parks anyway) or incapacitated or very elderly relatives with you - it's no problem.
    See it on the map, the two car parks are just east of the two Universal parks, and they're almost half the size of the parks, and they're multi-storey.

As naughtysmurf said, they're named after characters. We took a photo of our parking lot sign, it was really easy to find it then again if we'd forgotten who our nearest character was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 leah3443

Where to stay in Orlando?

The aptly named "International Drive" is the centre of the tourist area and is where most people stay. However, if you're like me and want to get away from the usual tourist enclaves, then I'd recommend staying in a privately owned villa. You do need to rent a car as public transport is limited but it is well worth it. There are 100's of villas to rent in Orlando and people in Ireland are becoming more aware of them as an alternative to hotels. They can also work out less expensive than staying in a hotel, particularly if you book directly with the owner. You can book a 4 bedroom villa with it's own private pool for as little as €495 for a week. The benefits are too numerous to mention here but, once you've stayed in a villa, suffice it to say that you'll be converted and you'll find it hard to stay in a hotel afterwards.

We've stayed in a few over the last number of years and we've found that the standard can vary. I would recommend booking directly with an owner rather than with a company as the privately owned villas seem to be of a better standard than the tour companies. You also get to see the actual villa you are going to stay in rather than seeing pictures of a generic villa. We've stayed in the same villa in the last few years and we've got to know the owners. I've no hesitation in recommending them and you can visit their website at www.floridadreamvilla.net The villa looks great on their website but in reality it's even better.

Having been to Orlando at different times of the year we've found May to be a good time as it's less busy prior to the schools closing for summer. The weather is usually very nice as well, although it does get hotter as the month progresses.
    October and November are also good although Halloween can be busy. It's really an all year round destination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭older i get better i was

Thanx after reading your list I feel as if i've just had a vacation in florida and so now i don't need to go nd am saving a bag loadda dosh!!!

DogsFirst wrote: »
    Just back from Orlando. I won't bother with the usual "you absolutely have to go here..." and skip straight to the tips. In no particular order.

i) Buy your theme park tickets at home before travelling. So much cheaper than the states. We used loveorlandotickets.ie. Seemed to be cheapest. Bought 5 parks for 192 euro.

ii) You need to rent a car. Companies regularly change, not much in difference. We went with dollar. Great selection of cars. You can walk to the lot and pick your own from many different models in the same "economy" class or whatever. Fuel consumption makes a big difference so be prepared. Their MPG range from 22 - 32mpg, which is appalling but when on a budget you want to consider this. Though gas is very cheap ($3.30/gallon or €0.83/litre) you will do a lot of driving between parks and their big engines. Take pic of cars sides and back before take off.

iii) Opt in for the full tank from the car company. Costs around 40 bucks, around ten bucks more than a petrol station but it means you can bring it back empty, relieving you of last minute stress and not get the ridiculous charges they levy for filling it up with their own.

iv) Keep to right lanes as leaving airport. There are two toll bridges no matter where you are going and the cash lanes are on the right (the same side they drive btw!). You need some form of dollar (notes of 20 or smaller, or change) or 7 quarters. First one is $1, the second is $0.75. If you miss and go straight through you may end up with a $20 penalty from the car company

v) Bring your Garmin or borrow someone elses. Saves a lot of time and stress getting to various spots as roads, while well marked, are so numerous and big it's easy to go wrong. Preprogram key destinations.

vi) Bring a small bag to the theme parks with your own water (while it's free there and very available, it tastes awful) and a few snacks. Bottled stuff is really expensive and the food is absolutely terrible. Highly recommend packed lunch (will have to leave in car but only takes 10-15mins to get back to, it's a nice break and really really worth it), top up water bottles, have rest.

vii) To reduce wait times: Go counterclockwise around the parks (usually means taking a right or simply aiming for the highest number as attractions are numbered 1 to say 17). Queues are less (assuming you hit them early). If you hit them late make sure you go clockwise and leave the best till last when the kids are gone. Also, use single rider lanes. Really important this. Slashes wait times for roller coasters etc from 40 to 5mins. Mightn't get to sit beside your mate but who cares you'll be too busy and you have them for the line which is the most important thing.

viii) Parks: Obviously do not miss Universal and Island of Adventure. The best rides are in these two places which are right beside each other separated by Citiwalk which has loads of cool bars and shops. Disney land's great if you have kids but missable if you're older and have a budget. MGM / Hollywood studios is also missable for same reasons. Also get yourself to Busch gardens (brilliant roller coasters, incredible scenery etc). Seaworld is worth a look, some good rides, the dolphin shows are impressive if you can get past the Free Willy thing, which I couldn't really if I'm honest. Water parks (Wet n wild / Aquatica are great fun, latter is probably more for the adults, great on a hot day), Space kennedy centre is pretty good (1.5hrs east of Orlando), we saw the rocket for mars take off. Take some time off at Clear Water beach / St Petersburgh. Great beaches and food. 1.5hrs west from Orlando in car, easy drive. Parks open 9-6/7. Aim to go when schools are in. Parking cost $14, unavoidable. Handy tip though, hotels beside parks sometimes have cheaper parking but this is rare, not really worth the hassle. Take pic of area where car is parked.

ix) Shop in the outlets, most importantly the outlets malls on International Drive (huge and better for men) and the one on Vineland drive (smaller but better for women). We were there for thanksgiving (end of November when "black Friday" happens (day after thanksgiving when everything is slashed in price, shops open at 00:00, mad stuff but great prices). While incredible discounts are guaranteed all year round make sure to download all your coupons and print them out from their site which usually gets you 25% off on top of your purchases. Take your tags off before departure. Also pharmacy drugs, makeup etc are really cheap in the CVS pharmacies, they're all over the place.

x) Eat your breakfast in Cracker Barrel (cheap, huge, very nice), dinners in Applebees (cheap, good food, half price stuff all the time, beers two for one, great atmosphere). The hotels have the best restaurants. Always tip 15-20% for all service anywhere.

It's a pricey trip. You each need at least 2.5k all in for ten days incl. very moderate shopping.

Hope this helps folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Great thread and tips OP.

I've been going for the last 10 years and still aint sick of it.:p

Some more tips

Hitting Vegas for 4 days mid week can cost as little as an extra €250. It has to be done in the middle of the Orlando trip so you're flying home from Florida.

The same goes for Cruises. A 5 day, 3 stop cruise can be had for as little as €200 from Carnival for an interior room.

For anyone into cars there is http://www.speedworlddragway.com/ . I also caught a Monster Truck show and Demolition Derby one year which was epic!!

Oh and I agree about Applebees. The food is outstanding and very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

.heading over the end of December and was wondering would there be any rocket launches around this time at NASA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭r0qi4162fux9kg

DogsFirst wrote: »
    Just back from Orlando. I won't bother with the usual "you absolutely have to go here..." and skip straight to the tips. In no particular order.

i) Buy your theme park tickets at home before travelling. So much cheaper than the states. We used loveorlandotickets.ie. Seemed to be cheapest. Bought 5 parks for 192 euro.

ii) You need to rent a car. Companies regularly change, not much in difference. We went with dollar. Great selection of cars. You can walk to the lot and pick your own from many different models in the same "economy" class or whatever. Fuel consumption makes a big difference so be prepared. Their MPG range from 22 - 32mpg, which is appalling but when on a budget you want to consider this. Though gas is very cheap ($3.30/gallon or €0.83/litre) you will do a lot of driving between parks and their big engines. Take pic of cars sides and back before take off.

iii) Opt in for the full tank from the car company. Costs around 40 bucks, around ten bucks more than a petrol station but it means you can bring it back empty, relieving you of last minute stress and not get the ridiculous charges they levy for filling it up with their own.

iv) Keep to right lanes as leaving airport. There are two toll bridges no matter where you are going and the cash lanes are on the right (the same side they drive btw!). You need some form of dollar (notes of 20 or smaller, or change) or 7 quarters. First one is $1, the second is $0.75. If you miss and go straight through you may end up with a $20 penalty from the car company

v) Bring your Garmin or borrow someone elses. Saves a lot of time and stress getting to various spots as roads, while well marked, are so numerous and big it's easy to go wrong. Preprogram key destinations.

vi) Bring a small bag to the theme parks with your own water (while it's free there and very available, it tastes awful) and a few snacks. Bottled stuff is really expensive and the food is absolutely terrible. Highly recommend packed lunch (will have to leave in car but only takes 10-15mins to get back to, it's a nice break and really really worth it), top up water bottles, have rest.

vii) To reduce wait times: Go counterclockwise around the parks (usually means taking a right or simply aiming for the highest number as attractions are numbered 1 to say 17). Queues are less (assuming you hit them early). If you hit them late make sure you go clockwise and leave the best till last when the kids are gone. Also, use single rider lanes. Really important this. Slashes wait times for roller coasters etc from 40 to 5mins. Mightn't get to sit beside your mate but who cares you'll be too busy and you have them for the line which is the most important thing.

viii) Parks: Obviously do not miss Universal and Island of Adventure. The best rides are in these two places which are right beside each other separated by Citiwalk which has loads of cool bars and shops. Disney land's great if you have kids but missable if you're older and have a budget. MGM / Hollywood studios is also missable for same reasons. Also get yourself to Busch gardens (brilliant roller coasters, incredible scenery etc). Seaworld is worth a look, some good rides, the dolphin shows are impressive if you can get past the Free Willy thing, which I couldn't really if I'm honest. Water parks (Wet n wild / Aquatica are great fun, latter is probably more for the adults, great on a hot day), Space kennedy centre is pretty good (1.5hrs east of Orlando), we saw the rocket for mars take off. Take some time off at Clear Water beach / St Petersburgh. Great beaches and food. 1.5hrs west from Orlando in car, easy drive. Parks open 9-6/7. Aim to go when schools are in. Parking cost $14, unavoidable. Handy tip though, hotels beside parks sometimes have cheaper parking but this is rare, not really worth the hassle. Take pic of area where car is parked.

ix) Shop in the outlets, most importantly the outlets malls on International Drive (huge and better for men) and the one on Vineland drive (smaller but better for women). We were there for thanksgiving (end of November when "black Friday" happens (day after thanksgiving when everything is slashed in price, shops open at 00:00, mad stuff but great prices). While incredible discounts are guaranteed all year round make sure to download all your coupons and print them out from their site which usually gets you 25% off on top of your purchases. Take your tags off before departure. Also pharmacy drugs, makeup etc are really cheap in the CVS pharmacies, they're all over the place.

x) Eat your breakfast in Cracker Barrel (cheap, huge, very nice), dinners in Applebees (cheap, good food, half price stuff all the time, beers two for one, great atmosphere). The hotels have the best restaurants. Always tip 15-20% for all service anywhere.

It's a pricey trip. You each need at least 2.5k all in for ten days incl. very moderate shopping.

Hope this helps folks.

Sounds like more of a chore than a holiday.
    Orlando is a hideous place.
    My top tip would be to avoid it at all costs. There are far nicer places both in the U.S. and the rest of the world you can go for the same (if not less) money.

Partner is an orlando native. Have spent a great deal of time there. We both have the same opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Partner is an orlando native. Have spent a great deal of time there. We both have the same opinion.

I've lived in Dublin all my life. I've told folk to vacation anywhere except this sh*thole. Doesn't stop them loving the place.....go figure. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement